PDA

View Full Version : monster assult

mildogg
10-21-2004, 07:48 PM
has anyone seen the new monster assult. They slipped it into the market in chicago and nobody on this board or in the market knew anything about it. Has a berry orange flavor to it. Dont know why they would cut into their original monster sales with another flavor line

upinarms
10-21-2004, 08:13 PM
So you are saying expanding their line is a bad thing?

mildogg
10-21-2004, 08:43 PM
no, im saying that the six percent market share they have nationwide is a great start. they maybe rushing to expand their line to combat the steady growth no fear and rockstar is seeing. Redbull is not a competitor, they are to far ahead. but with full throttle coming out the sixteen ounce market is becoming saturated already. Not to mention the flavor is not all that different than origianl. change in color and a slight package tweak.

Ron Swedelson
10-21-2004, 08:51 PM
I have seen POS for it out here in CA for the past month, but have not seen the product.

mildogg
10-21-2004, 08:57 PM
the package has a grey and black camo pattern with a red Monster logo. ok product, but might be too early for a line extension

Robot
10-22-2004, 01:24 AM
i tried the lo-carb monster and it was ****ing nasty, ill give this one a try just to see whats its like..

but BOOKOO is the way to go... 0 carbs, 24 oz.. great stuff.

EnergyKing
11-11-2004, 01:22 AM
Hopefully the new one will taste better. The old one is way too syrupy.

assassin666
12-27-2004, 02:42 PM
i am about to start up a buisness in va and i want to carry a good assortment of energy drinks that are extremly strong and hard to find; any suggestions

fusion
12-27-2004, 03:22 PM
I spotted Assault in a 7-11 in Maryland. Didn't try it, though. Rockstar Cola is my favorite at the moment.

http://www.monsterenergy.com/scripts/me_productAssault.php

[ 12-27-2004, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

Energydude
12-27-2004, 04:38 PM
Bookoo is the way to go????? Who wants to drink 24 ozs. what next Humungo 48oz jug?

turdferguson
12-27-2004, 05:07 PM
ive seen and tasted assault......the taste isnt too bad, although i cant drink more than a few ounces of any energy drink, but the packaging is not good. the camo design looks cheap, doesnt look like a monster product........it is weak...

mildogg
12-28-2004, 08:27 PM
its not really moving well in chicago

Ron Swedelson
12-28-2004, 09:00 PM
tastes a littl to much like a cherry cough drop for me...could not finish it...could not get past the first 1/4 of it.

EnergyKing
02-03-2005, 01:42 AM
We have it here in Oregon.

Robot
02-03-2005, 01:55 AM
havent tried it and wont, .. i drink monster low-carb regularly though,.

pdxbevman
02-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Here in portland monster did a great job in getting distribution. the monster reps went out and set up what looks like at least 80% distribution. a great package along with lots of marketing $. The downside is they have mt hXXd beverage as their distributor. They've had rockstar since day one and have done an excellant job with it. There lies the problem, the reps aren't out pushing monster, rather their letting monster die and putting rockstar in the extra space. I've seen stores that were set up by Monster reps that no longer even have monster or only have one sku with one facing. What a waste. I'd give my pinky to have Monster! It should be a solid #2 in the category! Has anyone seen anything like this, where a major dist carries to big energy drinks and only promotes one?

Coco Rico
02-04-2005, 02:14 AM
Absolutely PDX,

There are only so many options for distribution until you have distributors doubling or tripling up on energy drinks. I have a dist in my area that carries Pimpjuice and Liquid Ice. Both target an urban demo but the reps only push the drink that happens to be paying the incentives at the time. So focus between the two goes back and forth.

If a brand is smart, they mandate an exclusive arrangement with the dist to be the only energy drink sold. Unfortunately for most companies, there are only 1 or 2 energy drinks on the market that can command that sort of agreement.

CR

Ron Swedelson
02-04-2005, 09:04 PM
The local 7-up branch here has all of Hanses line (Monster, Hanses, and Lost) and has Rock Star. They push RS a little harder because they produce it at their local plant, so they make more on it I think. But Monster has a local rep out there making sure they dont fall to far behind.
Another local 7-up branch sells Rock Star, but they also own a beer house, which sells Red Bull. I dont know how they balance that out.

EnergyKing
02-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Finally tried Monster Assault, tasted like the original to me. The taste kind of grew on me. I actually like the Vitaminy taste.

Beverage Slinger
02-07-2005, 06:15 PM
PDX, not in energy, but in soft drinks,when a new drink is introduced ,then finally pulled due to slow sales,the co.expanded on its core brand shelf space,Coke was good at this,cant blame them,its a smart move,gondola domination.

EnergyKing
02-19-2005, 12:52 PM
The thing is Beverage Slinger is that both of the lines sale real well for MT Hxxd Beverage. They are "Bastardizing" themselves. Now they are starting to really push Monster in some of their markets. They got the cost down to $21.60 a case if you buy forty. The retailers are blowing them out at $1.39 a can.

They must have a better incentive program for their salespeople they can offer rather than Rockstar now. Not only that the deal includes all the new Hansens products.....Monster....Monster Assault....Monster Lo Carb and Lost. You would think these Energy Drink companies would be more like Red Bull and prefer a van team. And have some sort of a clause saying only OUR ENERGY DRINK and no one elses.

That way one can be focused on and expanded. Their are a lot of excellent energy drinks out there, and plenty of room for them. This category is the fastest growing out there. Unlike other beverage categories. Everytime their is a new one, their is a new size and/or idea, which creates within its own.

Some of the cool new ones out are BooKoo, GoFast, Rockstar Cola, Bawls (sorry it feels energetic to me), and Fuze Mega. So the more that come out the more succesful this category will be.

[ 02-19-2005, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: EnergyKing ]

Ron Swedelson
02-19-2005, 08:52 PM
You do have points there Energy, in terms of bastardizing their brands. I have not heard of the buy 40 cases deal...thats pretty insane. Most distributors buy it for $26 a case. And out here, the 7-up house carries Hanses (all brands) Rock Star, and Fuze...but even with all thoes brands, and a great market like here in the Bay Area, they could not support a Van team for their brands. The problem lies with the amount of stores they have to cover, and all the Chains. If you take the Chains out of the equation, I think Van team sales for energy drinks is a great idea.

EnergyKing
02-19-2005, 09:40 PM
I think a Van Sales Team is an great idea myself. I really dont think chain stores would be a problem except the fact that they pay every 60 days. Lots of companies have merchandisers.

The RedBull distributors(s) where I am at are very succesfull with their Van Teams. I dont understand what you are getting at Ron when you say that the brands other than RedBull couldnt support a van team.

I feel when a RedBull Rep, no offense Ron but says that, they are threatened by the factor that they could actually be defeated.

Sounds to me that Buzzkill is doing very well with his team and the Stinger products. So that there to me proves you wrong.

And as far as defeating RedBull I really think if they really wanted to and made a great energy drink Coke or Pepsi could defeat RedBull. Just some thoughts and points I like to point out.

Anyone can be succesful at doing this.

[ 02-19-2005, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: EnergyKing ]

Ron Swedelson
02-21-2005, 01:18 AM
Only reason I say it is hard to do a Van team is because I have done them before with other items. Mainly Jones. I have created and ran Van teams in other areas. Its a great way to start brands, its a great way to keep overhead low, but its hard to stay with a Van team if you have to many accounts, especially if they are mainly chains paying on 30-60 day tearms. Once you open the chains, it makes it very difficult to stay afloat and to hit all the other accounts durring the day. The reason I say a brand other than Red Bull, is because Red Bull, at least here in the San Francisco Market is now the top selling single serve beverage. You can afford to service a major market with 8-15 sales reps. servicing all accounts, because even the chains will make your drops and time profitable. I have seen some van teams try to service just 1 chain or 2 with a van team, and the profits are just not there with one brand or two. That is the only reason why I say its a great idea, but very hard to do with a brand other than Red Bull.

You would think Coke and Pepsi could beat Red Bull, but they have proven they can not yet. Pepsi has done the best with brand name drinks (Amp, Adrenaline Rush, and No Fear), but in the SF market, that only adds up to about 6% of the energy drink market. Coke just has not come up with a winner yet. But to say they are spending all this money on chain authorizations and advertising, and not putting forth a full effort in such a profitable beverage, it just doesnt make sence to me. No one other than Rock Star has even given RB a run for their money. To say Red Bull is simply the best drink, no, in many aspects there are other great drinks, but in success, no one can beat RB. Dont know why, but thats how it is. When that will change? Who knows.

Beverage Slinger
02-21-2005, 09:34 PM
Sorry for the late response,Energy King,what Im saying is canibalizing ,is what we all do,maintain the line ,but in a smaller enviorment like a mom and pop,its harder for a large co. to protect a line,the 7up rep. probably has a daily #s quota for bonus and when he or she gets a price break it only makes the job easier, but isnt going to deviate from keeping his core brands together,maximize shelf space,if one slows down, you move it closer to the door to help keep your #s,as for full trottle,if its not in a coke visi,with the support of its flagship brand coke, its just another energy drink, if they want it to move they need to write in BIG letters COKE, then full trottle somewhere in there,not trying to bag,just a thought.

EnergyKing
02-21-2005, 11:15 PM
Well first of all Full Throttle wont last. It should be in the Coke Visi Cooler your right but as a "SODA". Cannibalizing or as I like to call it bastardizing we all dont do. If you have an excellent energy drink dont pick up more.

Focus and sell it. Build it, and get all the space you can. Prove to the Mom and Pops it will sell. Even if you have to start out with one facing, its a start. That way you can tell your customer later "hey I need more holding power".

[ 02-21-2005, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: EnergyKing ]

Ron Swedelson
02-22-2005, 08:27 PM
I disagree Energy. Try to get as much of the pie as possible. If you have only brand A, you may get up to 3 facings in a store. If you have B, you might get 2 facings, and C, you might get 4 facings. Now just one of these brands alone you probably will not get 9 facings, but combined you have more of the shelf and more chances to sell your product. You are not taking away from your sales, you are adding to them. If you dont have the other drinks, someone else will. Its like saying Bud, dont carry anyother beer because you have Budweiser. If a beverage sells, carry it. Some years ago when I was a sales manager for a beverage house, we carried Hansens, Red Devil, Shark, Drinks that Work (spin off company from Odwalla) and XTZ energy drinks. When we started with just one drink, we only had a few spots, but once we had all these drinks, we had controll of 40% of the energy drink shelfs. With RB having more per any one sku, we had more controll than them. Obviously time has changed and RB controlls much of the shelf, point is the local 7-up house has Hansens (Lost, Monster, Monster Lo-Carb, Hansens Duce and Hansens Energy) plus 4 packs...then they have Rock Star. With all these skus they controll 1-2 shelfs in the stores. Without the combo, they would barely have a shelf. And someone else would be pushing Hansens and take the other shelf.
I do agree with your on bastardising the brands. I hate it, but when everyone is scrounging for numbers its hard to get around it. Now with RB, we only give buy x get Y free maybe twice per year, and its usually a buy 15 get 1 free, but must have display. Outside of that, we just dont really discount. RS and Hansens, and well everyone else does on a monthly basis a buy 3 get 1 free deal. Bastardising their brands...but you know what...it shows up on the AC Nielsons. When you compare RS sales to other brands, even if they have great sales, their avg. sale price is way lower than most, so their profit is lower.

EnergyKing
02-22-2005, 08:49 PM
So if you should get as much of the pie as possible what else do you carry? Oh thats right you dont need anymore you have the best. But whatever. And as far as Budweiser goes, its getting to where if you have a Bud house you cant sell any other brands but Bud brands.

As far as Hansens SKUS go, I would love to have them all here in the Metro area with about 8 vans. It does very well and gives Red Bull a run for its money. That would be a killer chunk there.
And I dont mean to sound like a Prickett but your math doesnt add up. Sales Manager, Starter of Van Teams, Bawls Rep, 7-11 Bev Buyer by the age of 25? You dont hold jobs long do you?

[ 02-23-2005, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: EnergyKing ]

pdxbevman
02-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Ron, how'd you run jones out of vans? that must have been a major undertaking! kudos to you for pulling it off.

Beverage Slinger
02-23-2005, 02:11 AM
Ron. I am 100% in agreement,its all about #s,stack em high,watch em fly,run a window,customer might not buy A or B,but the odds are you will be buying one from the rep with the most variety,and if he or she sells 40+ cases,there will be special pricing + a merch to build it adding to the customer attention,it is what it is

Ron Swedelson
02-23-2005, 09:38 PM
Jones out of vans was a lot of fun. Cargo van, had to fill it up everyday. 40 cases of energy drinks in the back. Jones juice just behind it. And about 120 cases of Jones filling up the rest of the van. Started it when i worked with Jones while we were trying to fix a bad situation that 7-up started (they only carried 5 skus of the 19 and let 40% of existing accounts fall through). Lots of fun, but broken bottles of Cream Soda are not fun to find when you stick your hands in the case.
EnergyKing...worked at 7-11 from age 8-14 (my dad owned some 7-11 stores). From 15-18 I worked for Southland Corp. in their corporate stores were a year and a half in I became the beverage buyer for the store. Went on to work for a new start up distributor. After a year became sales manager. Had top numbers in company of 8 sales reps. And top Jones sales in CA. Parent company shut us down to concentrate on their So. Cal. operation. Went to work for a San Francisco Beer House for 5 months untill Jones Soda hired me on as Alt. Accounts Manager. 6 months in was named Van Team Regional Sales Manager. Set up Van teams in my area and trained others in their area. 5 months later Jones laid off 80% of their Southwest Sales team (only kept a few people who were paid less than the rest of us). Went to work for BAWLS for 3 years. Started out as California Regional Sales Manager. year and a half later was named West Coast Regional sales manager. Quit because of new marrage and new kid on the way. Did not want to contiune to travel every other week. Now work for Geyser beverage and sell RB.
You also said we only carry RB because its the top, so why dont we carry more brands? My house started with many other brands and droped them after RB took off. Owner saw profits and ran with them. We sell about 40000 cases per month, a lot more than almost every other house. These other houses carry RB, but also carry other brands, even other energy drinks. Its a numbers game. Get what you can. Dont settle on one brand and run with it. Especially if that one brand does not even make up 1% of the energy drink sales.

EnergyKing
02-24-2005, 12:38 AM
How many vans are you running if you dont mind me asking?

Ron Swedelson
02-25-2005, 12:02 AM
Am I running now? 1, just my van...1 of 13 vans. Did I run with my old distributor? 5 With Jones? we had 5. Easiest is now because I only worry about my van, and I dont have to load or unload it. But with the distributor it was fun with more Skus and fighting over whose accounts are more important and why you need the last 5 cases of Jones Green Apple.