PDA

View Full Version : Energy # 1

EDrinks
01-16-2005, 09:41 PM
In my country the first energy drink is RB and I think it is almost everywhere, but what about the second energy drink ?

Probaby it is Power Horse here ( I live in Dubai )
What is the second energy drink in your country do you think ??

Also what do you think of Go Fast ??

Thanks

[ 01-17-2005, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: EDrinks ]

Fruity Pebbles
01-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Well, good to see Red Bull is even big in...wait, where do you live?

EDrinks
01-16-2005, 10:20 PM
I just said I live in Dubai ( United Arab Emirates ) that is in the Middle East.

So what do you think guys about Number 2 Energy Drink ?

Red Sox fan
01-17-2005, 12:45 AM
Rockstar Energy Drink

Christian Prickett
01-17-2005, 04:09 PM
If your going off of taste, I might go with Pimp Juice. Rockstar is too big of a can for me to enjoy. I start with a smile, but after I drink enough of the Cherry Dr. Pepper on PCP, I tend to gang near the end of the can, that is if I finish it.

Sales wise, I give it to Rockstar. I'd like to get a try of Sum Possy. I heard from a real person that the drink tasted good.

In Pittsburgh we don't have much of a choice, other than Red Bull and the occasional Rockstar but I'd like to see more of a choice in the clubs with the energy drinks available. And I thought you had it tough in the UAE.

dmots1
01-18-2005, 01:20 AM
In Texas...Monster 16oz

EDrinks
01-18-2005, 08:16 PM
I think the second best energy drink is Power Horse.

We also have Wild Horse, Blue OX and something called V I think.

I have not heard anything about Go Fast yet ??

Also what do you think a good addition to the market we have ?

waiting for your replies guys

Thanks

pdxbevman
01-18-2005, 09:34 PM
E, where are you located?

EDrinks
01-18-2005, 10:01 PM
I'm from Dubai ( United Arab Emirates ).

probably this forum is for US market, but It's really very useful for me and I'm learning alot of you guys

EnergyGermany
01-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Hi, in our country "GERMANY" and the Nr. 2 Energy Drink ist EFFECT. Have a look a www.effect-energy.com (http://www.effect-energy.com)

Bye,
Andreas

pdxbevman
01-19-2005, 07:38 PM
i heard that power-horse was the #2 in germany and effect was like #10.

EDrinks
01-19-2005, 10:24 PM
I went to Germany two years ago and I can tell you RedBull is the first, but still not sure about the second.

How dose Effect taste ?

Sarge
01-20-2005, 06:50 PM
There needs to be a deeper understanding first of all that such a question needs to be framed in context. Unless you are just whipping up a topic for a spirited conversation it is otherwise a pointless endeavor to postulate about one brand or another without responsible empirical data. Then from the standpoint of making postulations about a brand from scientifically obtained data becomes the issue of interpretation. In the final analysis subjectivity tends to be the viral element that seeks to infect any objective study of examining what are actually the real questions such as "whys" and "Hows."

The question, "What is the second... do you think?" almost seems silly. I want to talk to the person who says RB is actually first. First at what? Sales? but beyond that, first at what? I know for fact RB is not first at anything beyond past accomplishments. RB is dying a slow death in their product life cycle. They are losing market share at an alarming pace. The RB marketing plan will continue to attempt to breathe life into a decomposing brand, maybe they should start from scratch and re-brand it as "Pond Water!"

One problem with products in this catagory is it is replete with amatuers at the manufacturing/production level. Another major problem is poor consumer identification with the "energy drink" segment of the beverage industry. Most importantly, perhaps, is that greed is the primary motivation behind product development of brands in this high-margin beverage catagory.

Greed? Yes. Besides the Majors, who invests in real R&D, advertising, and bonafide distribution and support? Nobody! Because it costs too much. So there is very little credible information available to responsibly examine what is really going on in this industry and explains how big red can package piss-water and know they will make their margins. So actually, a lot can be derived from that lack of information. Primarily, thanks to RB, we have an industry, but its more akin to a ship wandering about without a rudder.

With regards to Go Fast!, it is has a solid flagship product and a clear brand identity. Go Fast is strongly segmented and seeking to expand its markets but lacks meaningful brand support and effective DSD networks. Go Fast is probably one of the few brands that actually has a right to boast product merits. The future of the company looks optomististic if they can retain brand integrity, improve marketing and continue innovations.

Ron Swedelson
01-20-2005, 08:17 PM
Dying a slow death, while still growing their numbers...um...ok.

Go Fast...they have gone fast, that is their problem. I have seen that drink come and go on a few different occations. Barely moves, and just fits into the "me too" catogory. Unfortunatly for most brands, outside of RB, RS, Monster, and Sobe & AMP, just about every other drinks looks like eachother. They all seem to come and go so quickly, that poeple will not give them much of a chance because they dont know how long it will be around for.
RB is #1 for opening up the market, for the sales, for the way they keep growing, for the way they keep people interested in the brand, and for the way they have maintained their market price point over the years.
Rock Star is #2 for opening up the 16 oz market. They helped to re-invent the energy drink market. They helped to take away some of RB's sales, and take most of the other 30% of the market that RB did not have.

pdxbevman
01-20-2005, 11:26 PM
I agree with Sarge that Go Fast! has a very good product with good brand identity. I also agree that RB has peaked, I've heard people say that RB vans will be a thing of the past as most distributors are now finding it less costly to just throw it in with the other mix. Many retailers will find it more profitable to forget about that free case and start selling other brands in that glut of space occupied by RB. I may be wrong, but i doubt it.

EnergyKing
01-20-2005, 11:44 PM
Sounds to me that Ron is anti all other energy drinks and is afraid of losing the Red Bull van job that he has become accustomed to. Ive seen it out here that Redbull teams are being cut.

Ron Swedelson
01-21-2005, 09:13 PM
sounds to me like you have not been listening to any of my posts. I tell accounts that dont have it that they need Rock Star, I tell them Monster is worth carrying. When asked I also let them know that Pimp Juice has sales out here, that AMP and adrenaline rush have sales, Jones Energy is a good seller (and most people know how I feel about Jones company). I have sold over 35 different SKU's of energy drinks over the years. I am honest with my opinons and speak of what I see and know of here in the Bay Area sales market. Go Fast!, its gone fast...what good should I say of it when it has tried on many different occations to come to market here in the Bay Area and failed miserably each time. The best thing about them, is previous to RB I used to use Go Fast! glide rack all the time because they are left at the stores, empty.
As far as loosing my job, no worries here. Third most sales in the company, #1 in my company last year is sales increase, and our company sold over 400,000 cases last year and that is all we sell...yeah Im not worried about loosing my job.
What else would you like to try and bash me on? Fell free to bring them to topic, just make sure you have read my other 1400+ posts so that you know what I have truely said about brands and why.

EnergyKing
01-21-2005, 09:45 PM
A lot of my customers have told me that their Red Bull sales have declined. That Rockstar, No Fear and others are beating it down. Just watch this year Red Bull will start heading into the #2 slot. Everyone will always try something new. If it works, the price is right and tastes right, they'll stick with it. ;)

EnergyKing
01-21-2005, 09:47 PM
By the way Ron what company do you work for? As in what Dist.?

Fruity Pebbles
01-22-2005, 12:43 AM
Now we're getting somewhere...asking what region one is reporting thier numbers from.

I have been hearing lots of information about RB and how bad or fantastic it is doing. I have been guilty of relaying that, from what I can tell, it is still rapidly growing. However, I would definitely accept actual numbers from different regions as proof that RB is not as strong as it used to be there.

Where I am from (FL), when I hear ANYONE on the board mention that RB is peeking or tanking nationally, I truly have to laugh. Our distributorship exceeded sales by 50% this past year and we have created new positions and focus groups and have even loftier goals for '05. This entire national region is almost the same in fact.

Naturally, RB cannot grow nationally at the same pace it has since it has saturated the country more than any other product already (and by far). As well, competitors will continue to chop away (albeit little) at the market share of Red Bull by virtue of thier numerous brands alone. But last I checked (AC Nielsons) RB still coveted about 60% of the market.

I don't know. I don't want to sound too much like a "team player", but wouldn't an Edrink that had this much noteriety and sales, perhaps, NOT taste "like piss" or like "pond water"? Sarge, you write like my old English professor (that's a compliment by the way) and appear to add some intellegence to the board, but your sour version of Red Bull might begin to sound like the opinionated ramblings of Edude (God, I hope I am wrong). I happen to actually like the taste (admittedly, it really grew on me after a while) but I would not continue to say here that it's "like heaven in a can". Thats just my personal opinion and is rather obsolete in a market of over a billion souls.

EnergyKing
01-22-2005, 12:51 AM
Golden Brands Distributing?

[ 01-21-2005, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: EnergyKing ]

Caltransplant
01-22-2005, 01:49 AM
Everyone seems to want to slam Red Bull on this board. Personally, I don't much care for the taste. But, I certianly believe in giving credit where credit is due. They are definitely the pioneers in the energy drink market, and without them there probably would be no energy drink market. With that said, I do agree that Rock Star is coming on strong.. I actually think they are number 1 in my area...RB is number 2

boodoo
01-22-2005, 11:10 PM
Who cares what brand is "number 1", what really matters is that you are profitable.

winsome2
01-23-2005, 12:55 AM
Boodoo has it right. RB is doing classic market development the right way (or getting lucky) - 1) be the leader who's brand defines the category 2)grow the category -with the help of lots of marketing dollars spent by your competitors 3)be one of the last 2 or three standing as the category matures and be happy and profitable with a smaller % of a 100fold larger category. If the rest of the me-too products were smart, they would stay regional so they can focus resources. Its pretty tough to beat the Coke,Pepsi,AB crowd on a national level when they decide they want their share of the market.

Ron Swedelson
01-23-2005, 03:19 AM
no, Geyser Beverage...even though Golden Brands services the great city of San Francisco, we beat the crap out of their numbers.