PDA

View Full Version : What is the best tasting Energy Drink

Amanton
03-04-2005, 12:12 PM
I am thinking about getting into the energy drink business. I work in a bar in Durham, and i see new energy drinks coming along all the time. I was thinking that I would choose the beverage to go with by which one tastes the best. I was wondering what everyone felt was the best tasting energy drink?

pdxbevman
03-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Don't go just by taste. People drink energy drinks for the effect first. If taste was the most important issue then Red Bull would be out of business.

Kyle101
03-04-2005, 04:21 PM
i second that one.. it's like cough syrup.

Amanton
03-09-2005, 04:31 PM
I cant imagine that most of the drinks dont have the same effect.

marshall
03-09-2005, 08:14 PM
For a good tasting energy pick-me-up I will purchase Coke-Cola in the 2 liter bottles, on sale for about $1.00. Then add 1,000 mg of Taurine per 250ml (8.4 oz.)

The price is about 12.5 cents for the cola and about 1 cent for the Taurine per serving.

Like the taste and like the price............

sexxxyhunter
03-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Ewwwww. That sounds really nasty Marshall. Lol

marshall
03-14-2005, 07:01 PM
No, it tastes like regular Coke, Taurine has virtually no taste.
That taurine requires a large amount of flavoring to mask its taste is just an urban legend, and not true.

starsky79
03-15-2005, 09:25 PM
I have never had an energy drink that I really enjoyed the taste of...they all taste like syrup to me.

longsean
03-17-2005, 03:45 AM
sobe adrenaline rush. end of story.

Lepke
03-17-2005, 02:29 PM
When it comes to single serve beverages taste is almost irrelevant. Packaging and marketing is everything. Arizona is proof that you could put urine in a attractive bottle and people will buy it.
As far as energy drinks go, you get used to the taste even start to like it.
If you are selling energy drinks to bars I think it’s better to have a red bull clone. When you order a mixed drink with energy drink you expect the red bull type flavor. On the c-store level it’s look and price.
Tastes are subjective one mans meat is another mans poison.

longsean
03-17-2005, 04:29 PM
answer the man's question. what tastes the best?

Lepke
03-17-2005, 05:29 PM
I think ROX taste the best. But just because I think it taste best does not mean you will think it taste best.

[ 03-17-2005, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

Freedom
03-18-2005, 01:13 PM
XS Energy! Selling over 1 million cans every 4 days!

NRGChick
03-18-2005, 01:23 PM
I'm kinda partial to Liquid Ice, and PimpJuice. Both have a different distinct flavor.

Lepke
03-18-2005, 04:52 PM
It just goes to show how tastes are subjective.
I find liquid ice to be vile stuff. Almost undrinkable.
Pimp juice is more or less apple juice with lots of added sugar and some other stuff none of witch gives any energy. I think it taste like flat, stale, old energy drink. Again not very drinkable.
Both these beverages are ghetto themed. Liquid ice using the name of a has been rapper and B actor Ice T.
Pimp Juice using the name of Nelly a thug, gansta rapper who promotes antisocial behavior, drug use and violence.
These drinks lack originality and were rushed to the market to cash in on both the energy drink fad and the popularity of the ghetto culture.

NRGChick
03-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Well tell me what you really think. I like them, and despite the ethnicity of them, or the has been names, I like em, but then again, that's just my opinion. There's several energy drinks I like. I just like that they're not following the "RB" trademarks, and are a little different.

SassyChick
03-18-2005, 05:50 PM
I recently tasted Liquid Ice at a convention in Vegas and thought it was awesome! Contrary to what Lepke posted about it tasting vile, Liquid Ice is a pretty hot drink. As a bartender who's always looking for good drinks for my customers, I decided to give Liquid Ice a shot and the customers loved it. A good drink is a good drink and when customers are asking for it, one would be a fool to move on to something else.

Why be unoriginal and boring by buying Red Bull clones??

Lepke
03-18-2005, 06:10 PM
So how long have you been working for Liquid Ice?
I’m sure your customers are asking for it. NOT
If you are indeed a bartender.
I know for a fact liquid ice was rushed to market without much thought to taste or ingredients. The idea was to cash in on someone’s connection to ICE T.

[ 03-18-2005, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

ichiro
03-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Jones sugar free energy. Have i tried many energy drinks?..no...am i biased YES...IS Opening day around the corner..oh yeah...gimme a jones and a steroid injected ballpark frank,and im a happy camper.

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-18-2005, 07:41 PM
i go to a lot of bars, really, i waste a lot of money. and i don't have anything in the energy drink war at all, and really don't care for em that much, but i've never seen anything but red bull in a bar. one bar i saw 180 in when it first came out, and i've seen this stuff that's on a gun a few times. other than that, i've never seen liquid ice, sumpoose or anything else.

can anyone seriously, legitimately, name some bars that carry non RB energy drinks? I'm curious, and i'm not trying to start ****, i'm just curious.

Lepke
03-18-2005, 08:25 PM
I’ve brought it up in this forum before; when someone orders a mixed energy drink they are expecting the red bull taste. If a bar carries rock star and someone orders a red bull and vodka and the bartender says “no red bull we have rock star” well the taste of rock star will pass… now lets look at the other coin you order a red bull and vodka and they say “ no red bull we have liquid ice” now instead of red bull and vodka you get high acid orange soda with a medicinal taste and vodka.
See? I just wont work… you can substitute coke, Pepsi, RC.,ECT. But you can’t give em root beer and tell em its cola.

strip club mngr
03-18-2005, 10:08 PM
Well i really don't understand where you are getting your info . I deal with red bull, and liquid ice . I have been carrying liquid ice for 6 months and it outsells red bull , the drink is a great mixer . T customerss really enjoy it . After a number of accounting errors and missapropiation of cash by red bull and a poor support staff i now deal exclusively with Liquid Ice. The taste is very good and the color blue goes quite well with the bars decor. Above all, they support their product by promos and sponcering various events. If you think I work for Liquid Ice, you can look me up at Club Friction AKA Runway 69 in NYC.
This products sells!!! and taste good.

Dont be a hater!!! its showing!!

Lepke
03-19-2005, 12:30 AM
What a joke. You liquid ice shills come in here register as new members just so you can hawk your crap. Call the next shill and tell em to login.
I think you are full of it.

NRGChick
03-21-2005, 09:06 AM
Well if you don't like what we have to say that's your choice, but, you also don't have to come to this message board either. So smile.. Be happy.. And enjoy an Icey cold "Liquid Ice!" :D

Bevpro
03-21-2005, 04:36 PM
I would have to agree with Lepke in that the biggest obstacle for any Energy Drink trying to be different is that the consumers expect that when they go to a bar and order a vodka & Red Bull they are expecting that strong, bitter, medicinal taste. While the taste may be offensive to some, most have acquired this taste and associate it with an "Energy Drink", which is exactly why Rockstar has managed to be so successful. However, while it is an uphill battle for new or existing energy drinks that are bringing good tasting alternatives to the marketplace eventually they will flourish along with the category as consumkers become more educated and less close minded. Personally I happen to like Energy 69 just because it is sweeter than most and is non-carbonated but that is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions! Liquid Ice is good as well but historically "Blue" drinks do not succeed in the industtry... remember "Pepsi Blue"?

Dude
03-22-2005, 12:23 AM
OH... hey look Lepke. Bevpro has only 1 post, must me a shill. Wait, he's saying liquid ice won't succeed, must be you. lol

Come on man, Liquid ice dont taste vile, it taste real good, and yes pimp juice taste pretty good too. 69 would lose to pimp juice but it taste alright. Bawls is another good one, stay away from Genseng, stinker.. sorry stinger. XS brain washes you, red bull is red bull, monster and sobe is decent.
"but that is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions!" Finally. YES, I am not closed minded and is an educated consumer cause I demand more for my money.
" for 2 dollars a can, it better taste good."

Please stay on the topic.

NRGChick
03-22-2005, 09:14 AM
There are lot's of great tasting energy drinks, and that's the beauty of it. Choices. Many varieties for many different tastes.

Kyle101
03-22-2005, 10:29 AM
yea that's the beauty of our countries Free Enterprise System. It gives everybody the ability to come out with somethine, either the same or different then something else and compete with it. So who cares how many drinks are out there, and what they taste like, if you believe in your product then you sell that product or get a new one. And it's not about getting more for your money, it's about the value & quality of the product. Ex. that's why i shop at Target and not Walmart.. it's nicer, a little more expensive but willing to pay for it.

NRGChick
03-22-2005, 11:39 AM
I can agree with that. Target's a great store. Cleaner, nicer, and sometimes they have great deals.

Kyle101
03-22-2005, 12:13 PM
right! so that goes the same for me w/anything I buy. I look for the value in something. Some people know the cost of everything but the value of nothing. IF an energy drink (for the sake of the board) cost $10 and I saw the quality & value in it vs another drink then I'd buy it hands down. If all you base your spending on is who's the cheapest.. well then that's the quality of stuff that you'll have

NRGChick
03-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Totally agree'd. Would rather have the quality, not the quantity. ;)

bigbottom
03-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Pepsi blue is an horrendous example as Pepsi did it because they can.

How about, Nehi Blue cream one of there better sellers, Jones soda Blue Bubblegum one of their better sellers and Cool Mountain Blue Razzberry one their better sellers.

Good luck with the energy drink biz it will suck you up like a dyson vacuum.

smile.gif

Kyle101
03-22-2005, 01:47 PM
lol

NRGChick
03-22-2005, 01:56 PM
LoL Ummm Ok, not to sure about being sucked in, but buzzed is definately a good word if ya go to far with em.. LoL :D

Bevpro
03-22-2005, 03:49 PM
First of all I think all of you take these posts too personal. As Sonny once said, This is Business and you're taking this personal! Now I don't know Lepke, although my great uncle's name was Lepke Buchalter nor did I say that Liquid Ice ws Vile, in fact i said it was good. As far as those three examples of successful "blue soft drinks" well I think you pretty much made my point! Actually its not my opinion but something I read on an industry report about a year ago. Anyways I agree that this is the beauty of our country but it will take time for the "average" consumer to venture out from the norm in the energy drink category. I believe it will happen and can't wait for someone to dethrone (or atleast compete with) the Bull.

NRGChick
03-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Nicely put Bevpro!

Lepke
03-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Bevpro, I think your uncle’s name was Louie (Lepke) Buchalter that is where I got the name from.
As for the rest of you folks, most of you are not in the beverage industry and certainly not in beverage sales. Imagine the frustration of fighting for shelf space against products that the customer has already purchased and now cant sell.
The retailer will keep that crap on the shelf for years taking up space till well past its expiration date. In some cases they will never throw it away even if it is 3,4.5 or even 6 years old. I have seen this. Unless a distributor is willing to swap it out it will sit there till the cans start leaking or they manage to sell it.
I don’t need to like the products that I sell, it only needs to SELL.
Lets look at pimp juice, here is a product whose name I find offensive and taste I think is poor at best but it sells. And sells very well. In the industry we say it “has legs”
Stackers stinger taste disgusting TO ME, but has name recognition and has legs.
Liquid ice in my opinion is nasty stuff but that is just my opinion what is important is does it sell? Although some of you may buy it most energy drink consumers don’t and wont. In the industry we call it “a dog”.
If in a bar the only choice a consumer has is liquid ice (even if they did ask for something else) and that’s what the establishment is serving them and they are drinking it does not mean it’s the consumers’ choice and does not mean the product sells. When a consumer has a choice and choices your brand then and only then does it have legs.
Taste is very subjective. Even if a product taste great to most consumers that does not guarantee sales. There are many factors in marketing a brand and believe it or not taste and quality are only a small part of it.
Many wonderful tasting products and great concepts never made it.

SassyChick
03-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Lepke, you wrote yourself that taste is subjective and just because you think Liquid Ice is vile, others may not. Hmm, perhaps people do have preferences and just because I actually like LI as oppose to some of the other energy drinks out there does not mean I work for LI.

Bartender
03-22-2005, 07:33 PM
WOW! Sounds like Lepke has it out for Liquid Ice. To call a drink a dog? youre losing control man. Hold it down buddy, you can do it.

Lepke
03-22-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by SassyChick:
A good drink is a good drink and when customers are asking for it, one would be a fool to move on to something else.
The above statement is one of the things that make me think you are somehow connected to liquid ice. If you say people are asking for it I will take your word for it but I find it very hard to believe.

Bartender, when I say a product is “a dog” I’m talking about a product that does not sell, has no sell through, no legs. Many fine products don’t sell through, they may be good products but in this industry if it does not sell it’s a “DOG”.
If busy c-stores that sell a fair amount of energy drinks of different brands, cant sell through 2 or 3 cases in a year then what would you call the product?

Titans
03-28-2005, 12:24 AM
Hi, I'm from North Florida. Haven't really developed a taste for Red Bull. XS is pretty good. And Liquid Ice is pretty good also (IMHO). Liquid Ice is actually everywhere here in Gainesville...bars, c-stores, chains, etc.

NRGChick
03-28-2005, 10:25 AM
I agree XS is pretty good. I wonder if the energy drink market is going to continue to take off or if it's going to die out just like most things!

Kyle101
03-28-2005, 12:40 PM
well, most ppl today want to look younger, and feel younger and energy drinks put that pep in your step, so my guess is that it's gonna grow for a while to come

NRGChick
03-28-2005, 12:56 PM
I would hope so. There's a very large area for advancement, originality, and nutritional values to energy drinks still to look into!

Jeff Smith
06-28-2005, 09:35 PM
Amanton;
If you're still looking for an excellent energy drink, awesome taste and healthy, contact me at jsmith27379@triad.rr.com, and I'll provide information on just what you're looking for.

I live near your area, so it's ideal.
Jeff

Damon
06-28-2005, 11:59 PM
Best tasting energy drink is SumPoosie with Liquid Ice a close second.

mjb1124
07-14-2005, 02:03 PM
I'm fairly new to energy drinnks, but so far I've tried Red Bull, Full Throttle, KMX (both flavors), Rockstar, Monster, AMP, SoBe Adrenaline Rush, and SoBe No Fear. I have to say that No Fear is easily the best tasting of these. It has a very bold fruit flavor with very minimal of that energy drink aftertaste.

Look In The Tunk
07-14-2005, 09:35 PM
I like Sugar Free Red Bull. For some reason I never acquired a taste for the reg. kind.

I also liked that Stinger drink in the blue can. Forgot the real name for it though.

Oh yeah, and I liked the orange KMX. Too bad I found it when it had already been discontinued and expired.

[ 07-14-2005, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: TheConnieVandelayShow ]

Mr Zabe
07-14-2005, 10:21 PM
"I have to say that No Fear is easily the best tasting of these. It has a very bold fruit flavor with very minimal of that energy drink aftertaste."

Is No Fear pretty easy to find? I would like to try it.

[ 07-14-2005, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Mega Energy
07-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Fuze Omega is the best tasting. No HFCS, 10% juice, kinda taste like a pumped up Orangina. Plus its stronger that any other 16oz on the market. 110mg caffeine per 8oz plus all the other bells & whistles.

ichiro
07-15-2005, 02:39 PM
sugar-free jones energy is the best.

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-15-2005, 02:56 PM
Zabe, No Fear should be pretty easy to find. It's a 16oz drink in a red and silver can.

Other than Hansen's Energy (http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/hansens_functionals/)(the one in the small green can, note how BevNET gave it a perfect rating), Sobe No Fear is probably the best-tasting energy drink, followed by Sobe Adrenaline Rush.(this is my opinion, of course)

SEV

Mr Zabe
07-15-2005, 03:13 PM
SEV
Thanks,I will look for it tomorrow.

[ 07-15-2005, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

HomeGrown
07-16-2005, 12:04 AM
Zabe

SUGAR FREE nofear comes in the silver and red can

REGULER nofear comes in a black and red can

and yes nofear is hands down the best tasting other good ones are 180 and venom.

Cynical
07-16-2005, 02:51 AM
I still love SoBe Adrenaline Rush, even more than No Fear.

sodasommelier
10-06-2005, 02:51 AM
The best energy drink is UNKNOWN DRED ROAD RAGE RED Formula # 53. It's the best. It tastes like a carbonated Delaware Punch (a bit cherry-ier I suppose) and it really really packs a punch. It's great. Glass bottle too. No stingy thimble can either... full 12 ounces!

boodoo
10-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Kronik Low-Carb for me.

Fry
10-07-2005, 02:51 AM
I had some "Liquid X" yesterday and I must say it didn't taste bad at all.

boodoo
10-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Mmmmmmmm.....Slurm.......

Kyle
10-07-2005, 11:26 AM
what the heck is slurm?

Android
10-07-2005, 12:29 PM
I've yet to have a true "energy drink" that I really liked. Rockstar Cola is OK, but nothing special, but it's next to impossible to find.

Then there's Bawls, of course, which tastes excellent, but isn't really an energy drink, it's more like Jolt, a caffiene-charged soda pop.

andy

boodoo
10-08-2005, 10:49 AM
One must research the late, great FOX show Futurama to truley know the meaning of Slurm.

Fry
10-09-2005, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Kyle:
what the heck is slurm? It's highly addictive!

pepsidew
10-10-2005, 09:34 AM
i hear that the new mountain dew MDX tastes good.

Kyle
10-10-2005, 03:22 PM
ah yes.. slurm...

CaffeineBoy
11-24-2005, 12:03 AM
heh, well the best tasting energy "drink", i would have to say is SoBe No fear. but i much prefer MDX which is technically an energy "soda" , but heck, it gives me a better boost than an energy drink, and i love the stuff. GIVE ME MORE! tongue.gif

EnergyGermany
11-24-2005, 06:43 PM
Try Germany´s Nr. 2 Energy Drink it´s called
EFFECT : http://www.effect-energy.com

bodymax2003
12-21-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm sure that someone may have mentioned this , but I have found that XS taste pretty good in comparision with some of the others , and I speak form experience. Comming from tne UK RedBull is pretty mush the standard even though it taste funny.

I'll be happy to send you my comparision if intrested.

I have Tasted over 60 diffrient energy drinks and done my own taste test - you should know that most energy drinks out there are redbull clones; most companies have one flavor 3 at most; 90% are loaded with sugar; and be carefull of the one where the side of the can is mostly a warning.

I have even mixed cocktails with Redbull and XS using the same ingredients and you can tell the differience.

I have also worked with a number of persanal trainers and they all say the same thing XS Rocks, with several falvors and caffine free versions there's an XS there for everyone.

Before you ask , Yes I do distribute XS and i don't force anyone too. It's also tru that some people are pushy , however you should realise that it is that person , the product is fantastic.

Nick Laugher
12-21-2005, 10:35 PM
I still say Hype leads in the taste field, followed by such drinks as Crunk, Liquid Ice and Rockstar.

Alligator
12-22-2005, 04:49 AM
BodyMax, What other energy drinks did you do the taste test on. What was the result. What was the process of your selection. Who was the winner and by what margin was the winner compared to the next ten out of 60.

I happened to have my own research. Here's my process:

10 individuals

10 different energy drinks

2 cans of each drink per individual (non-sugar free)

1st test dated Aug 1, 2005-based on, taste, package, mixability.

2nd test Aug 2, 2005- Based on effectiveness, and ingredients.

I would post the results but I dont what to push any product or be favorable to any. If you want to know where XS stands, please pm me and we'll share notes.

Christian Prickett
12-22-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Damon:
Best tasting energy drink is SumPoosie with Liquid Ice a close second. Sum Poosie is the best hands down. Every other drink is pee water.

Super Jay
12-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Sum Poosie is impossible to find. I have been up and down the east coast and have never seen a bottle of it anywhere. When I was in Detroit it wasn't in any of the stores.

Does anyone have a few bottles of this for my collection? I would be more than willing to send you some odd ball energy drinks in return.

Alligator
12-23-2005, 03:42 AM
Hi Super Jay, I have a set. PM me if you want some. Got it from the NY bar show earlier this year.

Alligator
12-23-2005, 03:45 AM
Never mind, can't find it.

Amnzero
12-23-2005, 08:03 PM
Shockwave 2/3$ @ Speedway.

Super Jay
12-24-2005, 02:43 AM
I didn't care for shockwave or the shockwave sugarfree. The can is boring. I only saw it in detroit at 2 accounts when I was there. It isn't anywhere in NY.

Nick Laugher
12-24-2005, 03:59 PM
It's pretty mediocre.

seriously though, has anyone here even TRIED Hype? It's glorious.

Ricky6
05-29-2009, 07:50 PM
I personaly think that Lost Five-O with 50% juice is the best tasting and it Works Really well It Tastes just like juice but with a little hint of a jolt flavor if u ever had it

JasonCH18
06-13-2009, 03:36 PM
I am ADDICTED to Rockstar Punched! Before I was with Pepsi though I use to drink Full Throttle Blue Demon and I tolerated Red Jak during my short stint with 7-UP.

SumPoosieCat
06-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Damon.... SumPoosie Cat Energy drink is the best tasting energy drink. Most on here don't want to talk about taste because they say it doesn't matter.... what a joke. The question of this thread is simple... what is the best tasting energy drink ? If you answer it truthfully it is SPC !

joshal1980
06-14-2009, 12:29 AM
Full Throttle Unleaded is the best energy drink, even though I do not get a kick from it anymore.

BigBird
06-22-2009, 03:04 PM
It's pretty mediocre.

seriously though, has anyone here even TRIED Hype? It's glorious.

Hype is gross! My bottom 10 EDs ever goes like this from worst to better: 24:7 Cherry Berry, Crunk, SoBe No Fear Gold, SoBe No Fear, Hype, Jolt Ultra SF, 24:7 regular, 24:7 Orange, Rockstar Punched Mango and Cocaine. I drink Cocaine for the insane kick, not the taste/burn.

I do, however, love SoBe Adrenaline Rush. I know of some places that sell it around here in CT and if they don't have it I'll just walk out of the store (that's how much of my personal favorite it is).

My personal favorites, though, have to be Monster Assault and Venom reg, KiT and DA and Jolt Blue Raspberry. A lot of people disagree with me but I enjoy those really sweet EDs and all of those give me a great kick. Full Throttle Fury also tastes good to me and I would defintely have to recommend Rockstar Punched Guava based on taste (but not kick). AMP Overdrive is alright but it's really thick and syrup-like along with all of the other AMPs.

silvermineone
07-20-2009, 11:30 PM
My friend gave me an energy drink from a company called Efusjon. It was pretty good. I don't know how it would mix but by itself I would try it again.

fusion
07-21-2009, 12:04 AM
Full Throttle Unleaded is the best energy drink, even though I do not get a kick from it anymore.

It's called Full Throttle Zero now, but I'm not sure if they changed the formula in any way.

JimmyBean435
07-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Has anyone tried these new energy shots? I like them because you don't have to drink an entire can of something, and I know that most of these drinks taste disgusting. The best one I've tried is Quick Energy

energy-collector
07-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Here in sweden we have a budget energy drink that's called Euroshopper Energy Drink ,and that's a really good taste.But the best tasting i've tried so far must be : Rockstar Juiced mango,Rentless Juiced and Rockstar Guava.