PDA

View Full Version : What energy drinks have legs?

Lepke
03-29-2005, 05:02 PM
I was wondering what energy drinks you folks believe actually sell.
My choices are
Red Bull…… that’s a no brainer.
Rock Star
Monster
Stacker Stinger
Pimp Juice
Fuze Omega
I’m sure I have forgetting one or two.
This is not to say I like these drinks, it’s just the ones I believe really sell in a store when a consumer is given a choice. NOT the drinks that are being consumed on premise where the drinker is a captive audience and does not have a choice.

[ 03-29-2005, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

Lepke
03-29-2005, 05:40 PM
AMP
Adrenaline rush
I knew I forgot something

Robot
03-29-2005, 06:11 PM
I personally buy these alot:

redbull/redbull sugar free(mostly sugar free)
mountain dew amp 4 packs
sobe versions (sugar free versions of both for me)
starbucks doubleshot (way too many 4packs)
bawls/bawls guaranexx
monster lowcarb

Bevpro
03-29-2005, 06:28 PM
I don't think YJ Stinger (Stacker2) sells. What about Full Throttle or Rush (Monarch Beverage Co.)?

Lepke
03-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Around here stinger seems to sell. Maybe it’s because the company that makes the stacker 2 diet pills is based here and every store carries them.
Any way I don’t like the product my self nor do I sell or am connected in any way with them, I am just going by what store owners tell me and from what I see.
Around here every one seems to know what stackers is. And that’s half the battle to get the consumer to pick it up.
I could be wrong that does happen though infrequently.
So far full throttle is not moving well or so I’m told and rush came and went here 2 years ago.
Double shot does sell but I am not sure one would call it an energy drink. I like double shot alot.
I’m thinking bawls is sort of in the category of gurana beverages but it does have legs.

[ 03-29-2005, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

Damon
03-29-2005, 07:46 PM
I do well with SumPoosie for many reasons, some like the glass bottle, some like the girl on the bottle. I also see Rockstar doing very well.

fusion
03-30-2005, 03:21 AM
on a local level, I believe that a brand is only as good as the distributor that carries it.

You have situations like the various redbull guys, where some only carry the 4 rb SKUs, and then you've got beer houses carrying energy drinks, small, medium, and large soda bottlers with them, and then some are going direct through a chain's warehouses.

redbull has a long way to go in this area. rockstar is distributed by the big Honickman Canada Dry franchises, and it seems to be just a marginal brand (at best) to them. Monster seems to be a little more well taken care of, though I can't remember who exactly has it around here.

Full Throttle, AMP, and sobe obviously have good penetration, being distributed by the big boys.. and fuze is carried by Philadelphia Coke, who do ok with omega, considering they also sell FT.

Christian Prickett
03-30-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Damon:
I do well with SumPoosie for many reasons, some like the glass bottle, some like the girl on the bottle. I knew that was comming.

The Truth
03-30-2005, 10:20 AM
red bull
Monster yes
Adrenaline rush yes
rockstar maybe

full th no
no fear no way

and of course who sells them.

NRGChick
03-30-2005, 11:38 AM
I see Sobe Adrenaline rush.. (regular/sugar free) seem to sell pretty well along with RB of course, RS, Monster, Amp are probably the ones sold the most around where I live.

Bevpro
03-30-2005, 03:03 PM
What about 180? Has AB discountinued their attempt at the category? I don't see them around anymore.

Lepke
03-30-2005, 03:07 PM
Strong penetration does not mean it has sell through. Remember KMX? Many smaller brands had very good sales people who managed to get their crap into every store. And after a few adventurous souls try the new item it just sits.
Hansen’s had a lot of money thrown at this market for years and did not sell at all for years. I mean this stuff was rotting on the shelf year after year after year. Now the green one sells a little.
In my opinion the statement “on a local level, I believe that a brand is only as good as the distributor that carries it.” Is not always true. Sometimes a brand is just a DOG.

Caltransplant
04-23-2005, 01:07 AM
I agree with you Lepke. The bottom line seems to be either consumers like and take to the product or they don't. I know marketing also plays a big role, but is that the responsibility of the distributor or the company? I am learning that a distributor can bust his/her butt to get a product into a lot of stores, but there are a whole lot of variables that come in to play that determine whether a product has good sell through or not. So, I also tend to disagree with the statement that the brand is only as good as the local distributor.

guaranajunkie
04-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Bawls probably sells a bunch and thats probably me that buys them in cases at the grocery store

HillaryGayle
04-25-2005, 03:49 PM
I'm going to say Sobe Adrenaline Rush sells pretty well. It's at every gas station from Memphis to Dallas (the drive I take often on which I NEED those), and I sometimes have difficulty finding the sugar-free version because it's sold out. I'll see where it SHOULD be located in the case, but it's empty. *weep*

Not sure about Pimp Juice. I saw it being carried in quite a few places around here, and now it's disappeared. Could be that I don't live in a good market for it (northeastern Arkansas).

Ron Swedelson
04-25-2005, 07:34 PM
Adrenaline Rush does not really move here. Yes it is in every store that Pepsi is in, but they are not getting many re-orders. The local Pepsi rep. laughed when I asked her how the AR and SFAR were doing. Based on their 2% market share in the last AC Neilson, I guess not very well.

Damon
04-26-2005, 10:20 PM
I was just in Dallas and Houston and saw SumPoosie in a lot of places I never thought I would see it in. Then I flew to New Orleans and saw it all over Bourbon St. It may not show up in the Neilsons but seems to be doing very well in these locations.

Ron Swedelson
04-26-2005, 11:42 PM
I still have not found it.

Christian Prickett
04-27-2005, 02:05 PM
Ron, Sum Poosie is everywhere. I hear the all 8 year olds were drinking it after going to see Meet the Fockers last year.

Actually I haven't seen it since the random exposure it was in a gas station here in PA. It tasted good but I asked Exxon why they don't have it and it's cause the label was offensive with "how they picture women as sex objects, not the name itself." Funny that you can find Meet the Fockers in Wal-Mart and they don't carry anything explicit.

Damon
04-27-2005, 08:15 PM
I believe its called irony.

edison
04-28-2005, 11:37 AM
Newbie to the board...hello all. Found this board while doing research on the energy drink market. While on spring break last month I was introduced to a new (i guess) energy drink mix called Energy Fizz...comes in a test tube and mixes mainly with water....but it worked well in my vodka. They had the Fizz Bus in Panama City handing out samples.....I loved the stuff. Got back to school and start looking around for it....couldn't find it anywhere.....so I thought about contacting the company to see about becoming a distributor....but can't find the company....anyone know of this drink or the company that makes it?

Thanks!

EC

Lepke
05-08-2006, 09:35 PM
http://www.getyourfizzon.com/

Well it’s more then a year later.
So what brands still have legs?
And what happened to the ones that did have legs and now don’t?

[ 05-08-2006, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

David J.
05-08-2006, 10:55 PM
I've noticed none of these are real popular in my area. When the AMP tallboys first came out, only one store sold them, and just last week everyother store starting selling them.

Sugar Free MDX is gone here, despite the fact there was more of it on the shelves, than regular MDX when it first came out.

Lepke
05-08-2006, 11:09 PM
David,
You are in NY, do you see Liquid Ice anywhere?
Just curious.
I haven’t seen any in about in about a year or longer.

David J.
05-08-2006, 11:40 PM
I've never seen it, or heard about it until now, so I'm not positive about it being on the shelves. It might be out there, but I haven't taken any effort to look.

I live near the canadian border, but I've never seen it. Maybe they stock it at Ft. Drum for all of the young soldiers who like to go out and party. :rolleyes:

[ 05-08-2006, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: David J, ]

Lepke
05-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Ok you are up state.
It’s a long border. Where near the border are you? You could be from Plattsburg to Buffalo. New York’s border with Canada is larger then many countries.

David J.
05-09-2006, 12:31 AM
I'm around Lake Ontario/Alex Bay area.

Bill Brasky
05-09-2006, 07:32 AM
Have been across that whole border in the last year or two. Liquid Ice is non-existent up in those parts. No question.

David J.
05-11-2006, 07:48 PM
I wonder if it is at Ft. Drum? All of the young, immature GI's, and their groupie friends need their booze so they can knock up their underage girlfriends and smash their expensive civic up every few weeks?

DudeMan
05-12-2006, 02:53 AM
Bawls is nearly dead up here in Canada. They were dropped by their main distributors and I don't think they have any real distribution left.

I'm also surprised that Stinger is doing well. I've only seen it come and go in a couple of gyms up here. My first reaction was that the name was way too long and confusing: Stacker 2 YJ Stinger.

CStoreCatMan
05-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Here in SoCal...

Red Bull & SF are still cranking

Monster & Lo Carb do very well

Rockstar brands do pretty good

No Fear/Amp do okay

I'm not really sure what Full Throttle is doing...

A-rush & SF dont' post big numbers but I believe they have a following. (IMO A-rush SF is one of the best tasting lo carb e-drinks around).

All other brands really fall off from there.

upinarms
05-13-2006, 08:15 PM
The stacker drink was so bad I couldnt even finish it. The only place that sold it cold here just discontinued it recently, too.

In my stores:

Monster
Red Bull
NOS
No Fear

Most others move slow, but I like having a good selection of energy drinks and have had a few kids actually compliment the selection, which is nice.

I think as of now we have: Red Bull and sugar free, Adrenaline Rush, No Fear, Gold, Superman, Monster, Assault, Khaos, XXL, Amp small boy, NOS, Rockstar, Full Throttle, Fury, Bawls.

I'm trying to think of more to get.

SumPoosieCat
05-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Upinarms ... have you tried my brand SumPoosie?

Nick Laugher
05-15-2006, 08:29 PM
haha, always promoting aren't you?

Having a good energy selection is ALWAYS good, I love going into a store and seeing something other than No Fear, Rockstar, Redbull and Full Throttle.

Around here,

Redbull
No Fear
Monster
Rockstar
Hype
and Guru

Seem to all be doing good.

Nick Laugher
05-15-2006, 08:30 PM
Hype especially actually, there are very few stores that can keep it in stock consistantly, most always run out for a period of a week or two and then I have to patiently wait for another shipment.