PDA

View Full Version : Rockstar & Coke

fusion
04-29-2005, 06:34 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this yet.

Rockstar has signed with Coke and Coca-Cola Enterprises to have them distribute Rockstar in most of the US (except Northern CA and the Northwest).

Bevpro
04-29-2005, 07:56 PM
Yeah what a move. That Russ is one smart cookie!

Ron Swedelson
04-29-2005, 09:20 PM
I heard about that, but not in Nor. Cal? Does the 7-up distr. have to tight of a contract or something. 7-up sucks out here, dont know why they didnt give that part of it up.

Fruity Pebbles
04-30-2005, 12:59 AM
Well, this will certainly make the On Premise market a little more interetsting. What do you think will happen to the slow-moving Full Throttle (now that Coke has a runner on its hands) and will it (or can it) become a soda gun juggernaught?

World Beverage
04-30-2005, 05:12 PM
Coke could have had their hands on this 15 months ago but they went w/ EAS. It won't be long before Monster moves away from 7up.

Booma69
04-30-2005, 05:22 PM
But where would Monster go? Can't be Pepsi or Coke.

Mega Energy
04-30-2005, 10:12 PM
World Bev:
When you say Coke went with EAS, do you mean the Sport Nutrition Company?

Mega Energy
04-30-2005, 10:16 PM
What happens to the existing distribution network? In No Calif, RockStar has multiple distributors. Does Coke get Rockstar exclusively?

fusion
04-30-2005, 10:47 PM
In the Western strongholds (No Cal, Northwest), distribution will stay the same. CCE will pick up the brand elsewhere. Not sure if other Coke bottlers will be getting it as well, though. I do know that Coke Consolidated already distributes it in some areas.

World Beverage
04-30-2005, 10:48 PM
Yes,the Sport Nutrition Company had an energy drink on the market for several years before Coke dist. I think it was called pirrana?

Mega Energy
04-30-2005, 11:38 PM
What is the process of cutting off Rockstar Distributors that are not Coke bottlers? Does Rockstar have to pay off any existing contracts?

Red Sox fan
05-01-2005, 11:10 AM
better question. With the CCE deal will Rockstar now have a legitimate chance at making a serious run at Red Bull? Rockstars ACV was around 35 on the last nielson report and was #3 in the category.

With CCE distribution Full Throttle had their ACV in the 80's within 4 months. If coke gets Rockstar ACV up in this Range, Rockstar could be dangerous. True or not?

Coco Rico
05-01-2005, 03:53 PM
I think that this move will be great in the short term for Rockstar. Their ACV should jump fairly dramatically. However, in time they will soon see what every non-core brand at Coca Cola experiences - lack of focus. And with Coke already having ventured into the 16oz category with Full Throttle, this will be the case for sure.

Pepsi has made a good showing with AMP, Adrenaline Rush, and No Fear, however they've yet to really gain any significant ground on Red Bull with any one brand. It will be interesting to see what this new move will bring.

I'm also curious how many bridges Rockstar is burning by taking the brand away from the majority of their current distributors to give it to Coke?

CR

Android
05-01-2005, 04:12 PM
I wonder if Coke will want to distribute the Rockstar Cola variety, as well. I think Pepsi currently distributes Rockstar around here, because instead of the Cola, we see No Fear in that third slot next to Rockstar and Rockstar Diet.

andy

Red Sox fan
05-01-2005, 06:29 PM
Coco...my point is this, if Rockstar was matching/beating the Pepsi brands sales volume with inferior ditribution before the coke deal (Rockstar had probably about 1/3 the distribution of Amp for example) then that means that Rockstar was outselling AMP by at least 3 to 1 in limited distribution.

If Rockstar ACV jumps to 80-90 range and sales stay steady, can Rockstar make a legitmate run at Red Bull?

Also, how does Monster counter? whats the stategy over there.

ROX Girl
05-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Exactly what is happening with all of the other distributors of Rockstar? Other than Pepsi, who are(I mean were)some of the other distributors?

Red Sox fan
05-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Rockstar distribution was primarily made up of Cadbury distributors (7up/Canada Dry etc)as well as some beer distributors. They have all been terminated with the exception of Northern California and the Northwest.

RunWithDaLilGuy
05-03-2005, 07:42 PM
so is this why ABC has been dumping rockstar in all of it's accounts? i reckon that's why.

Coco Rico
05-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Red Sox Fan,

I do believe that with the increased ACV Rockstar's volume and share should increase fairly dramatically.

In regards to Monster responding, I think we'll finally see the 16oz drinks start marketing against each other rather than just against Red Bull to gain more share.

If you look at all the numbers nationally Rockstar, Monster, No Fear, and to a certain degree Full Throttle, are all pretty much dead even in terms of share. To me it seems that the consumer likes the 16oz category as a whole, however no clear distinction between brands is being made yet.

This will have to change so I would expect the 16ozers to start attacking each other more severely for share and space.

CR

Red Sox fan
05-04-2005, 12:16 PM
I think it would be a mistake for one of the "big four" 16oz drinks to take a strategy of attacking the others. This is not thinking big enough.

Doing this would only furhter perpetuate the idea in the consumers mind that all the 16oz drinks are similar.

If Rockstar, or any other 16oz, really wants to get "big" they have to go after Red Bull and seprate themselves from all the other 16oz drinks. plain and simple. Marketing directed at the consumer that says, "we are not just one of four 16oz options, we want to become the #1 energy drink OVERALL." and that means going after Red Bull.

Red Bull is probably sitting back and thinking the same thing you said in your post. that is, let all the 16oz drinks duke it out, and at the end of the day when the dust settles, and their money is spent, we will stil be #1. Serious Brands can not allow Red Bull to go unchallenged anymore. Especially now that some brands have the distribution behind them to realistically make a run at them.

The first 16oz brand that makes the statement, to consumers and customers, that "we are not just trying to be the best 16oz, but the best overall,"
has the best shot at actually making this a reality.

Also, Please do not dismiss me as some yahoo who thinks Red Bull is about to crumble and every no-name energy has a shot to be #1. Red bull is an extremely powerful and strong brand for sure. Honestly they may never lose the #1 spot, ever. But for the first time I think you could make the argument that there are brands in place who could realistically make a run at them. Whether or not they will succeed is another story.

Uncle Thirsty
05-30-2005, 04:33 AM
I believe Coke will start packaging Rockstar into a B.I.B.

This will allow them to place it in all their Fountain & Bar Gun Accounts. This will give Rockstar exclusive placement in many national accounts. Once this happens RS will have the volume to go #1 . Then comes International placement.

As far as distribution in nor. cal it will probably be split into Single Serve & B.I.B.
Single serve dist. will remain with those already in place. Until the buyout...?
B.I.B will be handled by Coke Fountain.
Rockstar Cola will remain single serve and will stay in that distribution model.

There's not much Coke can do, to screw this up. But,you never know.

Damon
05-30-2005, 09:35 AM
I bet there are a few distributors out there wondering what to do now that they no longer have Rockstar.

Coke will do a good job with Rockstar and Red Bulls market share has continued to drop as consumers become more familiar with the variety of 16 ounce energy drinks. It is hard to go back to 8 little ounces when you get used to 16.

Ron Swedelson
05-31-2005, 06:36 PM
Are Red Bulls numbers dropping? No. The distributors will find a way to keep going. Many scrabled after they lost Sobe and Snapple, but if you are a strong house, you will find a way to keep moving. The only people that really get hurt are the salesmen who loose their commition. The house will get plently of money with their buy outs. Rock Star has found its self a solid place in second. If they added Diet, Cola, Diet Cola, and 24 oz size, and still have not really increased their sales or dented more into RB's, then they have shown they are settling into their nitch. Great brand, I think RS has to look out for Monster. Should Red Bull wait to do something new untill they are passed by RS or Mon.? No, but both thoes guys have to more than double their sales to even try and catch Red Bull. So I think the race will be for second and third before anyone touches the bull.

fusion
05-31-2005, 07:24 PM
The energy drink market, as a whole is growing by leaps and bounds every year. RBs numbers will grow, but will their market share grow, or at least remain constant? That's what you really need to look at.

Damon
05-31-2005, 10:32 PM
Rockstar BIB will change the market in 2006.

Coco Rico
06-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Perhaps Rockstar will change the market in 2006, but it won't be with BIB. BIB is counter-productive to developing a brand since you eliminate the packaging. The only reason BIB exists is because it's cheap and it can be passed off as Red Bull more easily. However, at the end of the day, consumers think they are getting Red Bull so it only further builds Red Bull's popularity.

Why do you think Roaring Lion came out with a bottle? Because they realized that the bulk of the business is in the C-store and grocery store, not the bar and nightclub. And they realized that they were building no identity with a BIB - again since everyone just thought it was Red Bull to begin with.

BIB is a non-issue. Package innovation is where the next challenge for Red Bull lies.

CR

Ron Swedelson
06-01-2005, 09:28 PM
I have been told that Rock Star is already in BIB here in the Bay Area. And besides Damon, on-prem is not the dominating force for sales. It helps, but only if you can market your brand. Like Coco said, it can be very counter productive. That is why Red Bull wants the can shown, pourn, and given to the customer so they know what they get. If you get something out of the gun, how much are you going to really remember of that brand?

Damon
06-01-2005, 10:09 PM
If they are getting it from a gun than the customer knows what they are getting. Lord knows that if the customer is not told they are getting Rockstar in a gun Red Bull will freak out and sue someone! My boss tells me that years ago when people ordered Barcardi and coke bartenders use to open a can of coke and pour. Ofcourse that is now unheard of because it is done in a gun and do you honestly think every time someone orders Bacardi and Coke, it is actually Coke they are getting??? On prem is what made Red Bull successful.

Uncle Thirsty
06-02-2005, 03:25 AM
RS already has brand recongnition.
They are looking to increase their presence and volume.

B.I.B is not counter productive or a non issue, when you have exclusive pouring rights to many national Accounts, Theme Parks, Stadiums, ETC.

Trust me, Coke will have enough P.O.S hanging around, to clarify any misunderstanding of what they will be getting.

not to mention co-promotions with liqour companies.

Rockstar will be cheap enough in B.I.B to get a 44oz'er for .99 at your favorite C-store.

Ron Swedelson
06-03-2005, 12:49 AM
Damon, first you said if they are getting it from the gun then the customer knows what they are getting. But then you finish with, "do you honestly think every time someone orders Bacardi and Coke, it is actually Coke they are getting??? "
Which way do you want to go with that one?
On premis did not make Red Bull. Red Bull was not even designed to be a mixer, it is just something that happened to come up and now helps to make up around 10% of the volume. It does extremely well to help spread the word of Red Bull, but you are also getting the can poured infront of you so you know what you have.
RS, if they go gun, you really wont know what you got unless they are upfront with you. It will help RS volume a ton, but if not done right will not do very much for their recognition.

Damon
06-03-2005, 02:20 AM
My point is Ron the bartender will HAVE to tell the customer they are getting rockstar from the gun or
Red Bull will cry they are passing off. The only way Red Bull can fight the gun is to scare bars they risk getting sued.

Damon
06-03-2005, 02:23 AM
Package innovation....... Red Bull ???

Coco Rico
06-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Damon,

You're right. The reason why the majority of energy drinks come in the 8.3 oz slim can has nothing to do with Red Bull's innovative use of that can style. And the reason why most energy drink contenders come in a 4 pack has nothing to do with Red Bull's innovative use of that package offering...

You're right Damon, Red Bull is yesterday's news...wait a minute - what product do you sell again?

CR

Ron Swedelson
06-03-2005, 08:08 PM
Damon, Red Bull gets pissed off when you try to pass off a drink as Red Bull, or when you ask for Red Bull, and get your drink, but you were not told its not a Red Bull.
Red Bull inovated the whole market and still have tremendous growth.
My boss was at a club with his wife not to long ago. He asked for a Red Bull and Jager. He saw the bartender pour from the gun. When he got his drink he said "No, I want a Red Bull and Jager" The bartender replied, this is a Red Bull. When asked to be shown the can the bartender got pissed and said that it was a Red Bull.
I am guessing that is not the only club that will try to pass off something to make some extra money.

Damon
06-04-2005, 10:09 PM
Red Bull invented the four pack??? LOL, innovative packaging is not Red Bulls strong suit.

And yes Ron I am aware that Red Bull freaks out if someone forgets to mention it is a Red Bull LIKE drink.

The reason growth has slowed for
Red Bull is that people are finding out there are high quality alternatives.

Fruity Pebbles
06-05-2005, 01:47 AM
Damon,

So you obviously feel that of a product is being passed off as another, this will, or does not, have any negative aspects to that product?

You do not feel that the company that is losing sales they have earned through all of theire ads and brand training and brand recognition by this method should be rightfully upset or feel wronged?

Do you think that if the customer dislikes the product he/she is getting, they will EVER purchase that product again?

Having brand integrity is not a sign of weakness. If someone were to get on the board here and talk like a complete moron and then say they were you, Damon, wouldn't you get pissed?

I fail to see how passing off is any different.

I would have to agree that BIB thrives off the uninformed customer. Some BIBs have integrity, but I'm certain they don't mind the fact that many who purchase their product in a drink think it is Red Bull.

Ron Swedelson
06-05-2005, 08:53 PM
What energy drink decided to come out with a multi pack? I saw Red Bull do it first, and everyone else followed suit.
Growth has slowed a little bit because yes there are choices. Quality or not, which most seem to be not, when you have more choices yes you will not have as strong a group of customers. With that said, they are still growing, they have more sales than anyone else. And outside of the #1-6 sales, there is nothing really there to brag about.

Coco Rico
06-06-2005, 12:33 AM
Damon,

I never said they invented it, they were the first energy drink to use it - hence innovative.

However, I'm willing to concede Red Bull lacks innovation if you can explain to me then why the majority of competitive energy drinks produced in the last 18 years since Red Bull was first launched have come in 8.3 oz cans and have recently adopted the use of 4 packs...

If Red Bull's packaging lacks innovation: why have hundreds of competitive brands copied it?

CR

PopNutz
06-06-2005, 08:35 PM
I haven't been here in a while but I see energydud, I mean Damon is still up to his old tricks. I wish Sum Poosie sales would go up so edud would have to work and stay off the computer. BTW, the last numbers I saw for Sum Poosie they had dropped in sales by over 70%!!!! Production has stopped because of a back log of inventory.

Damon
06-06-2005, 11:58 PM
You think putting 4 cans together is innovative???
Innovative?
Have you never heard of a 6 pak ???

The ONLY reason it comes in a four pak is because a 6 pak would cost too much!!!

Pop you can say whatever you want about SumPoosie I could care less. Do not confuse me for my boss. I work for the man but not in distribution. I can tell you this much... my boss sells a ton of Poosie!

Damon
06-07-2005, 12:07 AM
Fruity, what I find most interesting about Red Bull is their smug often obnoxious attitude towards competiton. The things Red Bull will do to keep out competiton I find troublesome. If Red Bull is ALL THAT then why do they pay huge sums of money to keep out competition. The fact is Red Bull could care less about the energy category growing. They don't want anyone to grow but themselves. I think the illusion is also wearing off a bit. Now a days there are many energy drinks to choose from and to be honest with you when it comes to energy Red Bull does not hold a stick to EXTREME RIPPED FORCE. I tell all my friends if you want REAL energy drink one of those and you will never drink anything again for energy but EXTREME RIPPED FORCE. For mixing nothing comes close to SumPoosie.

stinker
06-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Damon:
Fruity, what I find most interesting about Red Bull is their smug often obnoxious attitude . gee this description reminds me of some fellow named energy dude and his poosie drink.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-07-2005, 05:09 PM
back to the original topic, i saw that coke started to ship rockstar today.

Ron Swedelson
06-07-2005, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I wish Red Bull were more like Coke and not sign huge contracts with chains to get exclusive aggrements. I hate when companies have the opportunity to grow their sales. It just makes me sick. I know the great people at Sum Poosie would never give a bar anything if they thought they would have exclusive rights to their business. SP's too sweet for me to mix.

Yeah, back to the topic, I wonder when RockStar will buy out their contracts here in Northern California. The 7-up guys hate dealing with it because Southern Wine and Spirits is the authorized distributor for any account with alc. sales.

Damon
06-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Wow, here we go... first I am not like my boss I have an open mind but I can understand why some people hate Red Bull so much. I understand you people make a living with the stuff but the attitude is just plain silly. You sell a nasty yellow stuff in a can. Yet many of you think you are just it! Like I said if you want real energy drink an Extreme Ripped Force it makes Red Bull seem like a midget in a dunk contest when it comes to energy.

Ron for your information those HUGE contracts you speak of arrive through COMPETITION! Coke bids and Pepsi bids the problem with Red Bull is there is NO BIDDING. They have no interest in growing the market as a whole they want to squash others and only there growth is good growth. The reason for that is simple when you compare products MANO Y MANO Red Bull often loses! Red Bull is only good if you have nothing to compare it to. I don't make a dime and do not sell SumPoosie my boss and coworkers do that however when you compare the two....please and if it is all about energy ..... like I said Ripped Fuel.

Ron Swedelson
06-09-2005, 09:27 PM
so red bull doesnt want the energy drink market to grow? they want the market to stop filling with interested and new buyers. even though red bulls numbers are miles ahead of were they were when RockStar was not avalible, Monster was not avalible, Adrenaline Rush, etc. And dont say there is no bidding. Its an open market. Red Bull can not get into certain accounts because they have deals with RockStar. And I can tell you in my area, there are very VERY few accounts that red bull has contracts with.
And Red Bull is only good when you have nothing to compare it to...sure, thats why its the industry leader. Thats why in C stores when there are 20 other skus to choose from, Red Bull still comes out on top. Sure Ripped Fule, Red Line, many other body building drinks are there to stuff your body with tons of caffine and effederine type items. Red Bull is not about caffiene or just the quick burst of energy. But its nice to know that you think you know the product.

fusion
06-13-2005, 09:23 PM
We now have Rockstar reg & diet 16oz in our warehouse, but I don't think we are selling it yet. I also saw 24oz reg Rockstar.. I had no idea they made it in such a godawfully huge can! Who needs that much Rockstar at one time? Were the old distributors selling these 24oz? Or is it something new?

Damon
06-13-2005, 10:29 PM
Red Bull was first and that alone is what saves them. This year you are not seeing the huge growth numbers you did in prior years and that is because there are others out there that people are willing to try. Red Bull is the industry leader because it was first Ron, not because it is a great product. Red Bull is a lot like an oyster. Both are not much to look at and both have a strange taste but sell like crazy.

Fry
06-14-2005, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by Damon:
Red Bull is the industry leader because it was first Ron, not because it is a great product.True, they simply were first... and with the immense popularity they have vast budgets for marketing. Take that "Red Bull Airrace" thing, here in the Netherlands they actually got a permit to fly above the river "Maas" and underneath a bridge in Rotterdam. (I still can't believe they got a permit for that, normally they are extremely carefull/strict when it comes to events and the risk involved)

Red Bull has its own F1 team, etc, etc, etc... I guess almost anyone with some extreme idea can get sponsoring by them. "Wanna jump out of a plane with a wingsuit, here's the suit with Red Bull on it... good luck fella" ;)

The latest numbers I have heard is that Red Bull has about 2/3 of the entire energy drinks market in Europe. (And at any given time there are over 50+ other brands competing with them)

I think Red Bull can be compared to Coca Cola, they do the same thing when it comes to marketing. Just walk down any street with shops and start counting the number of times you see a Coca Cola sign. (You'll be amazed) But what is even more amazing, count the number of times you see a Red Bull sign. You'll probably notice they have a lot more sign than you'd think they have.

rjrosscce
06-14-2005, 08:34 AM
I am a coke merchandiser and our Rockstar placement began last week.
7-up just didn't want it anymore, and didn't really try to move the product.

Coke got Rockstar to replace KMX, which is going away, and has been discontinued. It didn't sell enough to keep it.

Full Throttle and Rockstar are aimed at totally different demographics, so they should both succeed.

Fry
06-14-2005, 11:23 AM
What about "Go Fast", I just saw some ads... they seem to be targetting the same market as Red Bull is, how are they doing?

Ron Swedelson
06-14-2005, 08:23 PM
Damon, yes Red Bull was first...but Hype and Hanses both came out in the same year. Why was Hype, just that, and why is it that Hanses energy cant even break the top 10 in Nielsons? A year later more and more drinks came out, but left almost as quick. And almost every drink out there says "We are better than Red Bull, we taste better, we work better, we are cheaper. We will take over Red Bull." Yet no one has. Red Bull is a quality product, if you like that or not. It works, people do like the taste, and you can take any 5 energy drinks, and their total sales do not add up to Red Bull. I think that has more to do that just being the first. They are certantly not the only choice in stores, yet they are prefered. What about new customers? That has zero to do with what year they came out, it more people buying RB, plain and simple. And not growing...my distributors numbers this past month was our best month ever...and that was just May. My route is 30% over last year alone.
Your not a fan, thats fine. I never was untill I after I started selling Red Bull and realized how they operate and what they are about. You say you dont sell SP...what exactly do you sell?

10*2*4
06-14-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by rjrosscce:
I am a coke merchandiser and our Rockstar placement began last week.
7-up just didn't want it anymore, and didn't really try to move the product.

Coke got Rockstar to replace KMX, which is going away, and has been discontinued. It didn't sell enough to keep it.

Full Throttle and Rockstar are aimed at totally different demographics, so they should both succeed. I'm curious, explain how FT and RS are aimed at totally DIFFERENT demographics.

Damon
06-14-2005, 11:46 PM
I buy and sell property for my boss. I also travel quite a bit and I am fascinated by energy drinks and have tried most of them. For energy Extreme Ripped Force is simply one of the best on the market and has no carbonation. Liquid Ice and SumPoosie taste the best of those that are carbonated.

Red Bull has done well because they quickly became a house hold name and did that through national advertising and little refrigerators. Clubs loved it and mixing it with vodka caught on. Red Bull and vodka is like saying kleenex or q tip at this point.

Red Bull has done a unbelievable job of taking a high salt, high sugar product with questionable color and making it popular. Sales of Red Bull in 2005 is up slightly from 2004 but nothing like it had been in prior years.

The Truth
06-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Here in the southeast RB changed hands again for like the fifth time in the last few years. Its running neck in neck with Monster.

Ron Swedelson
06-15-2005, 11:11 PM
oh, well I am not sure how real estate transfers over to energy drink knowledge, but Ill buy that you are interested in them and try to follow them. But know what you are talking about. Red Bull did not come out with advertising for a while after they launched. Hanses had a HUGE national advertising campaighn and had little fridges. The clubs didnt really start for a while after the launch, and being a mixer was never part of RB's stratagy. High salt? My mustard and my Tapatio hot sauce has more sodium than Red Bull, high sugar, doesnt coke have more, plus there is a sugar free version, and what about the color. Wasnt made for color, but everyone else seems to copy it. And sales, last May my company sold around 30K cases, this past may we sold almost 50K...yeah, I guess thats not a lot of growth, your right.

spyhunter
06-21-2005, 09:18 PM
I think it will be a problem of lack of focus as well. How is Rockstar going to be able to get the focus of the distribution reps of CCE?

The other problem comes from the backlash that they may get from the old distributors as Coco Rico said. If they went out and build this brand, is it strong enough to stand them bashing it?

If CCE incorporates Rockstar into its fountain set and vending machines, I think there will be a huge increase in distribution and sales, however, the on premise sector will still have the same problem......people only ask for Red Bull and Vodka. Red bull has become the Kleenex of the energy drink industry.....people equate energy drink w/ red bull.

Fruity Pebbles
06-22-2005, 12:10 AM
What applies as the "Southeast" then? In Florida, Monster is WELL behind Red Bull! They have made an excellent name for themselves and desreve a lot of respect, but anywhere from Daytona, Orlando and to Cocoa Beach, Monster does not even compete with Red Bull's Off or On premise sales. I would be glad to post AC Neilsons to prove it.

I see this a lot: Other brands form of selling being the staple "We outsell Red Bull!" What a crock. An outright lie. The VERY reason I ALWAYS carry my Neilsons charts around. No one has to take my word for it.

Now I can't speak of other areas in the southeast region per se other than my own, but Monster has secured a respectable portion of the E-drink pie.

Rockstar in this area: I am still waiting to see whats going to happen here. The current, or I should say, PAST distributor has mentioned nothing to me in this regards.

spyhunter
06-22-2005, 09:01 AM
From what I've seen, Red Bull is number one because they were first out but also because of the way they market the product. They are the only one's to actually embrace the consumer. I remember when Red Bull first came out in Columbus OH and every weekend girls were out driving around the red bull car and handing out samples at the key locations (roller hockey rings, parties, construction sights, etc.) I haven't seen anyone else out doing that type of marketing since (maybe I just haven't seen it though). Also, the creative ways that Red Bull has been able to gain customer loyalty and WOM has been amazing. I heard that they sponsored a battle of the bands contest and no one even knew until afterwords. There were no signs or drink specials, or any of the other stuff that everyone does. They simply provided amps, guitar picks, and other things that struggling bands need to make it, for the bands that entered and didn't tell them it was from Red Bull until afterwords. I'm sure everyone of those bands told at least 50 people about that and will never drink another energy drink (at least while on stage!)

SODAPOPPS
06-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Curious as to impressions on whether shelf space is growing in C-stores or there is intensifying battle for shelf space between the big brands. My sense is that Red Bull has not lost shelf space, but some store managers/distributors say otherwise. Also seems the category is growing in grocery and mass. I would expect Coke's thrust behind Full Throttle and Rock Star to accelerate all these trends. Is Coke positioning this Vault product as an energy drink? Does anyone foresee all the added competition leading to more aggressive price promotion?

Red Sox fan
09-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Just found this old quote. Wow, what a difference a 5 years makes (posted in '03)..Wonder if someone in the monster marketing dept. was listening.....

I think it would be a mistake for one of the "big four" 16oz drinks to take a strategy of attacking the others. This is not thinking big enough.

Doing this would only furhter perpetuate the idea in the consumers mind that all the 16oz drinks are similar.

If Rockstar, or any other 16oz, really wants to get "big" they have to go after Red Bull and seprate themselves from all the other 16oz drinks. plain and simple. Marketing directed at the consumer that says, "we are not just one of four 16oz options, we want to become the #1 energy drink OVERALL." and that means going after Red Bull.

Red Bull is probably sitting back and thinking the same thing you said in your post. that is, let all the 16oz drinks duke it out, and at the end of the day when the dust settles, and their money is spent, we will stil be #1. Serious Brands can not allow Red Bull to go unchallenged anymore. Especially now that some brands have the distribution behind them to realistically make a run at them.

The first 16oz brand that makes the statement, to consumers and customers, that "we are not just trying to be the best 16oz, but the best overall,"
has the best shot at actually making this a reality.

Also, Please do not dismiss me as some yahoo who thinks Red Bull is about to crumble and every no-name energy has a shot to be #1. Red bull is an extremely powerful and strong brand for sure. Honestly they may never lose the #1 spot, ever. But for the first time I think you could make the argument that there are brands in place who could realistically make a run at them. Whether or not they will succeed is another story.

Lihualee
09-29-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm going to bump the tread up.