PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting started

enersize
11-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Looking to start a energy drink. Is there still room to make money in this industry?

If you can help me get started I will be glad to pay for consulting.

greg
11-30-2005, 01:42 PM
There is always room to make money if you have a good product.
If you have great marketing and a lousy product you may be successful in the short run but long term success should be the goal.
In my years I have seen plenty of drinks, both energy and soda, start out with Splashy marketing and High visibilty endorsements, but in the end the product wasn't good therefore it met it's demise.
G

Christian Prickett
12-02-2005, 03:40 PM
If I had a $1 for every time I've heard "I'm thinking of making an energy dring and..." I could retire at 27.

DudeMan
01-19-2006, 03:55 AM
enersize: Contact me, info@rageliquidenergy.com
I'd be glad to help out.

JP QuikServ Drinks
01-22-2006, 01:10 AM
enersize, we should talk. email me.

JPQuikServDrinks@aol.com

i'm a drink distributor. i know what the folks want.

BuzzMonkey Energy
03-12-2006, 03:05 AM
JP..May i ask what do they want...as far as energy drinks are concerned..?

BuzzMonkey Energy
03-12-2006, 03:08 AM
Greg what do you sell? Is there room for a new "fruity" premium energy drink in FL?
jfalco69@aol.com

[ 03-12-2006, 02:24 AM: Message edited by: jfalco ]

Brainy
03-12-2006, 04:07 AM
Jfalco, just get ready to spend major bucks.

Lepke
03-12-2006, 04:20 AM
Lets take a look at Arizona tea. Most people in the industry know Arizona is garbage in a very nice package. People believe an expensive bottle means a quality product. I firmly believe you could sell urine if you put it in a beautiful package.
If you have a high quality product it is a plus but no grantee of successes.
There is room for another energy drink in the market. Just get the idea of beating red bull out of your head. And be realistic about what you can expect to earn.
I know a guy who imports his own energy drink from Austria. The product is of good quality; the package and name leave a little to be desired.
But he is realistic he knows it wont sell in c-stores so he has it in very few. The guy is into the nightclub scene and knows many DJ’s and has friends in PR. So he got his product into quite a few clubs in NYC and Miami. He is not trying to be red bull he is just trying to make a buck and have fun. He is a nice kid and people like him. And he is doing it. About 2 containers a month in sales is a nice living. And he will sell more once the summer season rolls around. The product has a red bull type flavor so it mixes well. He will do just fine.

Just something to think about.

POP
03-12-2006, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Brainy:
Jfalco, just get ready to spend major bucks. +1

BuzzMonkey Energy
03-12-2006, 01:00 PM
i appreciate all the good advice, the product i will introduce has a great name,great package..and great taste, im not just saying that,i've had about 20 people taste it and have recieved 0 negative feedback..100% positive, typical response is "this is great". what would be the best way to market this product with limited funds, for the biggest impact?

Lepke
03-12-2006, 01:48 PM
I don’t think fruity flavored energy drinks are appropriate to the on premise trade. I believe people want a red bull type product to mix in drinks.
I would not let the retailer sell the product cheaper then red bull. These are functional beverages and people will perceive a cheep price as being worth less and having less functionality. Selling your product to a distributor will be the easy part. Most independent distributors are always looking for something new. Same for the retailer. The problem is the consumer.
I have found that running in store specials helps a product sell. If you put it on sale in a store make sure the consumer knows it’s a special sale and the price is regularly higher, then you have a better shot of folks trying it. (People love a sale)
I did the buy 2 cans for $3.00 special and it really worked. The signage clearly stated it was a special and that 1 can would be sold @ full price. But the product I was selling was an Austrian energy drink in a very attractive can with a similar taste to red bull and all the same ingredients so for red bull drinkers this was a great deal and many picked up on it.
The store managers and owners really helped by educating their regular customers.

This is my experience. I hope this helps.

POP
03-12-2006, 04:05 PM
I agree with Lepke. This why I strayed away from "energy drink" category and decided to start another non-alcoholic beverage subsection.

Another memeber on this board also mentioned to inflate your frontline, meaning jack up your prices on a case.

Lepke
03-12-2006, 04:16 PM
That was me…. Always go in with a higher front line price…. You can always deal down but you cant deal up.

POP
03-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Was it? My bad, I was thinking it was boodoo. Or was it Boodoo that explained what that meant.

POP
03-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Sorry Lepke, it was boodoo.
http://www.bevnet.com/bevboard/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003061#000011

Lepke
03-12-2006, 04:38 PM
well i know i said it some where in this fourm

POP
03-12-2006, 05:16 PM
I believe you.

greg
03-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by jfalco:
Greg what do you sell? Is there room for a new "fruity" premium energy drink in FL?
jfalco69@aol.com Iv'e said it before and I will say it again. There is always room in the Marketplace for a good product. No doubt whether it be an energy drink, juice drink, cola drink, etc.
The key is to have the energy , time, and capitol to get the product off the ground. When you are competing with the Big Boys that spend $1mm on adverticing and don't even blink an eye you have to have a good rpouct. You need some way to get the customer to your brand. The store manager has to be convinced also that if he takes a proven seller off the shelf to make room for you then it better perform and perform well. This means MARGIN as well as SCANS.

BTW. I am the National Beverage Manager for a sports supplementaion company.

BuzzMonkey Energy
03-14-2006, 02:16 PM
greg maybe we can talk...would your company be interested in a premium energy drink beverage?
please email or phone me or i can phone you,
jfalco69@aol.com
Joseph Falco