PDA

View Full Version : Rip It

gripperm
12-07-2005, 01:39 AM
Saw it at Wal-Mart and it was only 99 cents a can. Seemed cheap for a 16 ounce can. Anyone ever try it?

Nick Laugher
12-07-2005, 07:18 AM
I requested samples a while back, got no reply, perhaps I'll take a trip to WalMart and check it out.

boodoo
12-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Nothing but a cheap "warehouse" brand. If it was any good why would it retail for $0.99?

Ron Swedelson
12-07-2005, 10:53 AM
I have never tried it. I saw it in my local Albertsons. When I ran a route for Red Bull, I noticed that Rip It was next to my product on the shelf, and so was their back stock. Over a 6 month period, I never saw 1 can move or any of the backstock get depleted.

Bill Brasky
12-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Yeah, same here. The stuff might as well have a disclaimer telling you to check the exp. date before purchase.

NO IDEA how they are financing this new Winter Consumer Incentive I just saw the other day....and for that matter NO IDEA what Jeremy Bloom was thinking signing to ski for them. I'm sure the appearances he'll do at Joe & Pa's Quick Fill Pit Stop will be a great boost to his future....

Super Jay
12-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Rip It = Faygo

Rip It is just making the category look bad.

Now Target has their own private label (Archer Farms) 99 cent energy drink. It's just pathetic!

Nick Laugher
12-07-2005, 11:12 PM
What's it taste like anyhow?

ALLPRO
12-08-2005, 01:57 PM
I think Rip It is a great product and a great idea. It's got more caffeine than Rockstar or Monster, It taste good, pretty decent packaging, 4 flavors and 2 more on the way.
Some of the best selling sku's in Convenience every QTR is the .99 Arizona Teas. Why....it cost .99!
There is nothing new in the Energy Drink category. The 2 categories that will see any real new growth will be the "Extreme" Category(RedLine, Extreme Shock) and the "Value" Category (Rip It).
Rip It should do very well. Why would you buy Rockstar at $2.49, when you can buy almost 3 cans of Rip It. Customers are not that brand loyal, except maybe for Red Bull

gripperm
12-08-2005, 02:01 PM
I have downed a few this week and i feel it is just as good as RB or Monster

Ron Swedelson
12-08-2005, 04:48 PM
My guess is that ALLPRO is a distributor of the brand. There are not many energy drinks that have solid movment behind them in the discount range. Great, it has a sale price of .99 cents, but I live just over the hill from you ALLPRO, and it just doenst move over here. Looks O.K., at best. Dont know about taste, and it just has not moved out here in the last year or so.

Super Jay
12-08-2005, 05:19 PM
Yeh, there hasn't been too many impressive new energy drink products. I think Monster Khaos should do well, its different and tastes good. Sobe No Fear Gold has potential since No Fear has done well. I guess we will see when Gold hits the market. Could be a flop, could be a hit.

ALLPRO
12-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Ron, you guessed wrong,All Pro is no a Rip It Distributor (Though it wouldn't be a bad idea). If you base your numbers solely on grocery, Then you are probably correct. Until Rip It gets distribution in the C-Store channels, I would take a wait & see approach. I still say that the .99 Energy Drink has a huge untapped market. Just as the High End Market is now the fastest growing market. A year ago our cusomers (probably some of yours Ron) told us we were crazy for trying to sell a new energy drink (Red Line)for $3.69 retail. It is now the # 2 sku in 60% of our customers, overall, Red Line is #3 in the total accounts we service. Most likely Rip It will probably have the same type of impact that Red Line has...just a different customer base.

gripperm
12-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by ALLPRO:
I think Rip It is a great product and a great idea. It's got more caffeine than Rockstar or Monster, It taste good, pretty decent packaging, 4 flavors and 2 more on the way.
Some of the best selling sku's in Convenience every QTR is the .99 Arizona Teas. Why....it cost .99!
There is nothing new in the Energy Drink category. The 2 categories that will see any real new growth will be the "Extreme" Category(RedLine, Extreme Shock) and the "Value" Category (Rip It).
Rip It should do very well. Why would you buy Rockstar at $2.49, when you can buy almost 3 cans of Rip It. Customers are not that brand loyal, except maybe for Red Bull Sounds right! the middle will fall to the wayside and you can either drive the Yugo or the BMW but remember both have their advantages.

boodoo
12-10-2005, 09:02 PM
The energy drink category is growing by leaps and bounds. Consumers have proven that they will pay $2+ /can. At this price the retailer, distributor and manufacturer all can be profitable. When you de-value the market by offering a cheap retail you harm the industry.

gripperm
12-10-2005, 09:28 PM
I could buy a 70,000.00 BMW or 12,500.00 Hyundai and the market is just fine.

Mr Zabe
12-10-2005, 10:04 PM
The market for cars IMO is vastly different than the market for energy drinks. There was and is a mystic associated with energy drinks; some what the same with the one the bottled water industry had during it's revolutionary introduction to the American market.

Most consumers have placed a irrational value on the merits of energy drinks. As was said by Boodoo, the market supports $2+ for it's average can/bottle. As economy brands get introduced in to secondary and primary stores, the mystic of energy drinks will in the short run deminsih. The market will necessarily seek to compete with lower priced "economy" energy drinks.

Actually this processes is not in anyway unique.
The retail electronics industry is a good example.

[ 12-10-2005, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

fusion
12-10-2005, 11:01 PM
Basically it will require the big players in the game to advertise and target their brands to the appropriate audience.

Red Bull has developed their "gives you wings" campaign to market their 8.4oz can that exists in a sea of 16oz cans. They are losing market share (to be expected) but the sector as a whole is still growing leaps and bounds every year.

It's a fact of retail, you will always lose some shoppers who shop simply on price. That's why Wal-Mart has done so well. People are more interested in the price on the shelf tag than personalized customer service, or hand-cut meats, and so on.

BluejacketT
02-27-2006, 05:46 PM
I've seen some Rip It at my local Price Cutter for .99 cents. I bought it and tried it. It left a nasty aftertaste.

[ 02-27-2006, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: BluejacketT ]

reset man
02-27-2006, 09:09 PM
I tried two flavors and thought it to be a mediocore product, I've had worse and I've had better. I run a route in the upstate New York area and my accounts are telling me it does move. That $.99 price point seems to do the job. I called the company (National Bev. Corp.) several months ago for pricing and if I remember correctly it's anywhere from $10.50 - $11.00 to the distributor usually sold for $14.99 on the streets. I'm considering bringing it in, distribution for Rip It is weak up here.

DMC
02-27-2006, 09:19 PM
i think this is a good idea for the energy drink market. brands like rip it is just going to get CCE and Pepsi and other marketers to lower their energy drink prices. let's face it. companies like coke are making a KILLING off selling their e-drinks at $2.19 a can.

fusion
03-01-2006, 12:29 AM
Doubtful. You're not going to see Rip It in all the places that Rockstar, Full Throttle, Sobe, Amp, and Red Bull are in.

The only place I recall seeing it around here is at Food Lion. And it barely sells, from what I can tell.

Ron Swedelson
03-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Price doenst mean anything, its the sales. Who cares if it is sold for .25 cents, $1 or $10. If its not moving, it does nothing to the asking price.

CStoreCatMan
03-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by fusion:
Doubtful. You're not going to see Rip It in all the places that Rockstar, Full Throttle, Sobe, Amp, and Red Bull are in.

The only place I recall seeing it around here is at Food Lion. And it barely sells, from what I can tell. That's not true...Rip It is brought in by Shasta here in SoCal (I believe). They have shelf space with all of the big brands you mentioned above in several grocery accounts here. It may not move as well...but its definitely in there.

CStoreCatMan
03-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by DMC:
i think this is a good idea for the energy drink market. brands like rip it is just going to get CCE and Pepsi and other marketers to lower their energy drink prices. let's face it. companies like coke are making a KILLING off selling their e-drinks at $2.19 a can. Coke, Pepsi, and whoever else will not lower their price due to a brand like Rip It being 99 cents. It's basically a "private label" or "value priced" energy drink...just like soda. We don't try to compete with private label in CSD...why would we on energy drinks?

DMC
03-01-2006, 03:03 PM
that's not necessarily true, because it's been discussed here at coca-cola about how energy drinks could start "price crashing" in the next year or so.

it doesn't matter if 'rip it' is a private label or not. have you noticed red bull's marketshare in the last 2 years? what do you think it will be like two years from now? there marketshare isn't what it use to be. how do you think they are going to fix it? it's possible, they can start slashing the prices of their red bull. i'm not saying that's going to happen, but it could. there's a lot of e-drinks out on the market. and if new energy drinks start popping out at .$99 a can, it's going to happen.

red bull was basically the first "energy drink". well, first successful e-drink. now look how many e-drinks there are. look at the trend red bull started. 'Rip It', is the first 16oz e-drink to go for $.99. look what Rip It could possibly start.

[ 03-01-2006, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: DMC ]

CStoreCatMan
03-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Red Bull's market share has decreased because consumers have been able to buy a 16oz can of energy for the same price (or close to) as RB's 8oz can. Not to mention, many people prefer the taste of non RB brands. That's why they've lost market share....but they are still the #1 selling energy drink hands down.

As for pricing...does private label hurt Coke or Pepsi so badly that they are forced to drop prices? NO. And think about this...in my market energy drink prices have been creeping up...yet sales are still growing at incredible rates. It doesn't seem like the consumers care about cheaper energy drinks. As I mentioned earlier, several accounts have developed their own "private label" energy drinks that do sell for less than the mainstream. However, sales of those drinks have been sluggish even though they get primary positioning and multiple facings in the cold vault planograms. My thought is that energy consumers are not as price sensitive as other consumers are. They are paying for what they believe is a "premium" product that provides more than a taste...it provides a function - ENERGY. They are willing to pay $2-$3 a pop for such drinks. That's why value drinks like "Rip It" will continue to do nothing...even though they sell for half the price of the big brands. Can't argue with sales...or lack thereof!!

BluejacketT
07-19-2014, 03:45 PM
Since 2006, I tried other flavors of Rip It & they're good. The brand just don't give as much energy as some of the other ones. But a lot of the flavors I've tried were good.