PDA

View Full Version : Club / Bar Format

DudeMan
02-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Clubs and bars up here won't touch 16oz energy drinks with a 10ft pole. They would have to sell it way too expensive and customers can't buy enough of them in order for the bar to make a profit.

8.4oz are the standard for now. Coke is coming out with a 9.1oz Sleek Rockstar for bars/clubs in April. Someone from Rockstar told me this was to compete with Redbull in the club/bar scene. Rockstar up here is just in 16oz and they don't want to bring in the 8.4oz not to be too similar to Red Bull.

I was wondering how 12oz Sleek and particularly 10.5oz Sleek perform in the US in the bar scene and in general?

The Truth
02-15-2006, 01:58 PM
In US there is little price diffence between the 16oz and the small cans. If the bar does two drinks at the same time they just doubled there profit.

Ron Swedelson
02-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Rockstar has been in the slim size can here in the US...and it didnt do anything. I think the best way for rockstar to compete in the bars is simply to go on tap...thats it

Breuvage .J
02-16-2006, 12:57 PM
To have energy drinks on tap, you must have a good volume, good equipment and excellent maintenance... there is also the portion control, inventory control .....

I do not believe that energy drink companies will get involved with product sold on tap ....

Especially when the biggest marketing tool that most companies have is there cans....

Energy drink companies in montreal, encourage bars to sell whole cans, for exposure..and portion control, so the price is obviously much higher ....vodka-RB is about 7+ $

Mr Zabe
02-16-2006, 01:01 PM
Does that Canadian price of $7 +/- include the hefty food and drink tax?

Ron Swedelson
02-16-2006, 01:07 PM
I agree with Breuvage...but if it is Coke, who is already servicing their own lines...it simply makes sence to drop RockStar in BIB.

The Truth
02-16-2006, 01:13 PM
I understand you need a better line for Energy drinks or it will bleed over to other lines.

Was told by Energy drink BNB rep.

Breuvage .J
02-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Yes the price I mentionned includedes all the taxes .....to start our RB is sold 1.99 $ can to the retailer ...suggested retail price is 2.99 $ + Tx = 3.44 $ a can .....so when it comes to bars, they like to have a bev. cost of about 40 % so they sell the can in a bar 5 $ without alc.
so when I say the price is 7$ + , the majority of the trendy bars in montreal sell a vodka/RB between 8.50 $ - 11 $ a drink, but you get to keep the entire can of RB...what a deal ...

Breuvage .J
02-16-2006, 01:33 PM
I agree with Ron, but here in Canada , bar and restaurant owners use portion control systems. Simply a question of our cost on most the beverages, alc. or not , because of all the taxes are much more expensive than in the US, so it is worth the investment to implement portion and inventory control systems ....they do not come cheap, but they pay for themselves within the first year ( stop theft )

Just a example ....a major bar complexe in Montreal did not have any portion control...they invested in a complete portion and inventory control system for the whole complexe, it cost them 175 000 $, it was paid for in less than 10 months.... Bartenders and bar staff are experts when it comes to stealing from the house, and at 5-8 $ a drink, they can make a interesting revenu on the side .....well those sales are not in the owners pockets ..... I am sorry i am way off track from the initial subject ..... FYI

JP QuikServ Drinks
02-16-2006, 02:10 PM
i am currently marketing a few different 16 oz energy drinks to bars and clubs here in NY, and having some success, so i disagree with you, dude.

Breuvage .J
02-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Well 2 different markets , and 2 different price structures , and the bar industry in montreal, is exclusive to 1 energy drink per location......company`s pay for exclusivity ....
3 major players in Montreal .....Bars...
No. 1 .... Base
No. 2 .... Red Bull
No. 3 .... Hype

Very different market ......

But i am happy that you are having success in NY with your 16 oz cans ......

DudeMan
02-16-2006, 05:35 PM
JP...Energy Drinks and 16oz have been around in the US for much longer than in Canada. Your market is different. I always knew 16oz were common in bars in the US. I'm just telling the reaction that Rockstar 16oz is getting from Canadian bars.

BreuvageJ is right. The US market, while in some respects being very similar to the Canadian market, is still very different in other respects. Take McDonald's for example: Our medium coke is a small in the US. Our large coke is a medium in the US. Your large coke could feed a family of 4 here (joke!).

Ron Swedelson
02-17-2006, 12:37 PM
WOW HYPE is #3? I remember bringing that drink into the store I worked for back in 97, when I was still in High School. And I only brought that in because it was a favor to the wine salesmen who was selling it...

DudeMan
02-20-2006, 01:54 AM
Hype is #3 in clubs because they were one of the first around. Their formula up here is all herbal therefore they were on the market before real energy drinks appeared in 2004. This gave them a huge headstart. They're using their herbal formula (ginseng, guarana) to market Hype to clubs as a "safe alternative" to mixing alcohol with taurine/synthetic caffeine based energy drinks.

Clubs get heat for mixing Red Bull and alcohol. Herbal energy drinks like Base & Hype fall under the food law and can legally be mixed with alcohol. That's a strong sales argument when approaching a club.

I spoke to the 2 Hype brothers at the Montreal Bar & Beverage Convention a couple of weeks ago. They are bringing in the US Hype (Taurine, Caffeine) sometime soon. They'll be marketing it to C-stores and giving the clubs a choice which version they prefer.

Nick Laugher
02-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Hype is great, im negiotiating working for them as we speak. Base is also a good drink.
Down here the clubs prefer redbull by far, but hype and sobe are close behind.

SumPoosieCat
02-20-2006, 08:58 AM
Product sold on tap just makes sense. We have "Sum in a Gun" for that very reason... it just makes sense. In a bar situation the people that drink the most energy drinks is often the people working at the club. Many owners have not problem with workers drinking the energy drink from the gun. The reason... it cost only about a quarter to forty cents a glass. When employee's steal a Red Bull it cost 8 times as much.

Nick Laugher
02-20-2006, 04:25 PM
I tried emailing your company about reviewing your product for my Beverage Review magazine but no one has contacted me, could you email me about who i can contact for samples?

SumPoosieCat
02-20-2006, 07:07 PM
You can email me directly at sumpoosie@yahoo.com and yes I will send you a few new cans after the Vegas show!

JP QuikServ Drinks
03-07-2006, 07:52 PM
what the hell is hype and base?

please, if someone knows how i can get in touch with these drinks to distribute in bars/clubs in NY, specifically the !!!HUGE!!! market here in Long Island, could you please email me?

JPQuikServDrinks@aol.com

ROX Girl
03-09-2006, 02:00 PM
I agree with the problems with the larger cans. But, don't you think that the consistancy with BIB is a problem? I would think that everywhere you go the H20 is different. It would be like running champagne through a gun.

DudeMan
03-09-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm curious to know how bars in the states work with the 16oz cans. Does the bartender give away the can when someone orders a mixer? Or does the bar keep the can for the next mixer?

greg
03-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by DudeMan:
I'm curious to know how bars in the states work with the 16oz cans. Does the bartender give away the can when someone orders a mixer? Or does the bar keep the can for the next mixer? The liqour comes in a 750ml bottle, the drink only takes 1.5oz They save the rest for the next drink(s) Same for any 16 oz energy can.

Nick Laugher
03-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by JP QuikServ Drinks:
what the hell is hype and base?

please, if someone knows how i can get in touch with these drinks to distribute in bars/clubs in NY, specifically the !!!HUGE!!! market here in Long Island, could you please email me?

JPQuikServDrinks@aol.com www.hype.com (http://www.hype.com)

www.baseconcept.com (http://www.baseconcept.com)

two very popular energy drinks in Canada.