PDA

View Full Version : Sobe No Fear Gold

CStoreCatMan
03-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Has anyone else tried the new Sobe No Fear Gold? I sampled it at NACS and I thought it was excellent! The liquid is a gold color and the taste is AWESOME! A very, very tasty energy drink in comparison to the usual formulas out there. Coming soon...

Nick Laugher
03-03-2006, 08:17 PM
pfft, total ripoff of Hype Gold.

Super Jay
03-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Yes I think it a rip off of hype gold too. But I bet that within the first three months of pepsi loaing up the market with it, it will outsell the total number hype gold cans sold since it was ever produced.

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-04-2006, 02:13 PM
It may be a ripoff, but I've never even HEARD of Hype Gold, much less seen it. I can see why bigger companies take the ideas of the smaller ones, because they have a bigger distribution that can actually get it out to the public.

What does it taste like?

SEV smile.gif

Nick Laugher
03-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Super Jay:
Yes I think it a rip off of hype gold too. But I bet that within the first three months of pepsi loaing up the market with it, it will outsell the total number hype gold cans sold since it was ever produced. You're right, and that saddens me, because Hype is so underrated.

DudeMan
03-06-2006, 01:53 AM
Nick, Hype is underrated cause it's garbage. It's not innovative. The hype we ahve up here is water + sugar + a ton of Guarana which is where it gets its Caffeine. The Hype in the rest of the world is just a Red Bull knockoff as far as ingredients. Packaging sucks too. A plain silver can with Hype written across it in italics. No real logo either. Hype is a european brand that is simply not made for the North American market.

I seriously doubt that SoBe even knew of Hype Gold's existence when coming up with the name No Fear Gold.

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-06-2006, 02:19 AM
Does this mean that Sobe is making a bubblegummy Red Bull clone? It's hard for me to believe they'd do that.

DJHS

Nick Laugher
03-06-2006, 11:31 PM
I like Hype, but taste is all opinion.

upinarms
03-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Nice to hear, I loved No Fear for the longest time, but lately Ive been growing tired of it.

CStoreCatMan
03-08-2006, 04:59 PM
I can tell you No Fear Gold has nothing to do with Hype. Or should I say...Hype who?

Nick Laugher
03-08-2006, 08:35 PM
:( <--- sad.

upinarms
03-12-2006, 12:22 AM
I saw it today and didn't try it. Shame on me. I'll give it a go tomorrow and report back.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
03-12-2006, 12:41 AM
you saw it? where? i must gather money, must purcchase drink! lol... i really wanna try this

fusion
03-12-2006, 11:15 PM
I bought a can today at a local c-store/deli.

CStoreCatMan
03-13-2006, 05:09 PM
Here's the picture - direct from the Sobe website.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/xcmtnbikr/NoFearGold.jpg

Rob The SURGE Drinker
03-13-2006, 05:15 PM
i found a spelling error on their site... go here: http://www.sobenofear.com/huh/gold.shtml
and scroll down a bit to the part where it says "caffein[sic] content"... lol, spelling error

Nick Laugher
03-13-2006, 07:06 PM
sweeeeet. that can is classy.

I hope this stuff hits Canada.

CStoreCatMan
03-13-2006, 07:20 PM
I'm drinking one right now...its very tasty. I wasn't sure how to describe the flavor until I saw the pic on the Sobe website - berry and passionfruit. Also, virtually no "energy aftertaste" at all. I'm curious to see BevNet's review...

DudeMan
03-13-2006, 07:55 PM
I don't get it. What's the point of this product (other than to add another SKU to SoBe). Same format. Ingredients are the same. And from what you are saying, the flavor is pretty much the same.

pepsidew
03-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by DudeMan:
I don't get it. What's the point of this product (other than to add another SKU to SoBe). Same format. Ingredients are the same. And from what you are saying, the flavor is pretty much the same. $$$$$

CStoreCatMan
03-13-2006, 08:17 PM
No..the flavor is noticeably different than regular No Fear. And I'll answer your question with another...why 4-5 varieties of Monster, Rockstar, Full Throttle, LOST, etc?

1. Consumers want choices
2. Manufacturers want shelf space
3. Everyone wants $$$

DudeMan
03-13-2006, 10:56 PM
That's why I specified, "other than to add another SKU to SoBe". Shelf space is important however I still think that a new SKU should be justified. I don't think that simply changing the flavor profile deserves the term "Gold".

Oh well, I ain't Pepsi and i don't work in marketing..

CStoreCatMan
03-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Do you think every flavor/line extension that comes out is justified? Whether it be a soda, an energy drink, a new enhanced water, etc. These companies do "TRY" alot of things to see what sticks. That's the way it is in the beverage business...the only constant is change. If the companies don't experiment with new things, they will be left behind...

upinarms
03-15-2006, 02:04 AM
I liked it. Same basic no fear flavor, but smooth and less tart. Very drinkable. I think I started getting sick of No fear because it was so tart and sweet, 16 oz of it became a chore afterwhile. I'll definately grab more of this one.

CStoreCatMan
03-15-2006, 01:54 PM
I agree...very smooth and easy to drink. Now that its hitting stores, we'll see how it does. BevNet should have a review up soon...

greg
03-15-2006, 02:43 PM
I just noticed that regualr SOBE No Fear listed as an ingredient Creatine.
Coming from a company from SOBE I would expect them not to know this, however, coming from PEPSICO, I would expect them to know this.
Creatine is not stable in a solution of any type for more than 5-10 minutes. The creatine that is in No Fear is non existent by the time it reaches the end user. I bet it is non existent before it reaches the pallet in the warehouse.

fusion
03-15-2006, 07:44 PM
It tasted very melon-y to me. I didn't care for it.

JordanE
03-16-2006, 12:46 PM
I tried it yesterday for the first time, IMO its a great drink. Its alot like sobe adrenaline rush it witch is nice to have an a 16oz can.

EntreEnergy
03-17-2006, 05:44 AM
Lol @ creatine

DudeMan
03-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Even if the Creatine in No Fear was still stable, there are only 50mg per can, which does absolutely nothing. You are right that after 5 minutes, all of the Creatine has turned into Creatinine, which is useless. Many energy drink companies use small amounts of catchy ingredients just as a marketing tool.

PepsiDawg
03-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Gold is supposed to be a citrus flavored version of NO Fear. I'm not a huge fan of either (AMP rocks) but I can tell a difference in the two.

JP QuikServ Drinks
03-22-2006, 08:31 PM
i just saw the drink today in a store. "24 kt. gold energy" i think was the tagline. I am trained to look at new drinks and evaluate and wholesale 'em if they are good, but to the untrained eye, i really think it blends in and will just be another drink without serious support.

CStoreCatMan
03-23-2006, 02:25 PM
How does a bright gold can blend in with all of the black, red, silver cans that EVERY OTHER energy drink uses? At least they used a different color! smile.gif

ehinkes
03-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Tried it recently and really liked it. The can is fantastic and a real differentiator. I found it to be very light and clean on the palette. Did a review on my site which goes into some more detail. Way better than the original No Fear though.
http://taurinerules.blogspot.com/2006/03/meets-gold-standard.html

DudeMan
03-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Speaking of different colors, what do you guys think of BASE COAT WHITE for a non-diet 16oz energy drink? I know spot white is typically, if not always associated with diet drinks. Would making a 16oz non-diet energy drink in a base coat white can be different and appealing, or confusing and misleading?

Rob The SURGE Drinker
03-23-2006, 10:31 PM
i had some of this today, and it was very good...

Doug
03-23-2006, 11:04 PM
I tried it, it was pretty good...tasted very guava-ish