PDA

View Full Version : Question about moving machines

bullman
03-10-2006, 07:21 AM
I was wondering how a lot of the 1-man entrepreneurs out there are moving their machines. I'm considering getting one of those Lectro trucks (a heavy-duty hand truck with a built-in lift), which should work, but they're horribly expensive. However, one man can maneuver a fully-loaded machine by himself if using one.

How is everyone else moving their machines around?

Red Bull Vendor
03-10-2006, 07:31 AM
I have a second guy helping me, if your not big enough, its pretty tough just getting the machine tipped back on the kick out wheels.

bullman
03-10-2006, 08:44 AM
This Lectro truck has a built-in tri-pod with rollers that you can use to assist in rolling the thing around. I just hate having to spend $3000 on something like that.

just thinkin
03-10-2006, 08:55 AM
do they rent those anywhere in ky?

bullman
03-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Well, I checked with Avis, and they seem to think I can manage fine with an 18' bed, a hand truck and a lift gate which I can rent for a day for $47 for the truck + .25 per mile and $12 for the hand truck. Given that I would have to rent the truck anyway (even with the Lectro-truck), if they think I can use the hand truck by myself to move my machines, then then by all means I will keep my $3000.00 and give it a try!

Mr Zabe
03-10-2006, 01:10 PM
I assume you will have a few extra hands to help out with the move. Trust me,it may seen easy on paper but it can get involved at least for us novices. smile.gif Good Luck

(It's not worth the risk of hurting your back or legs when you move large bulky semi heavy big boxes like refrigerators and the like.)

[ 03-10-2006, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

bullman
03-10-2006, 01:33 PM
I don't really have anyone to help me out, and everyone I know works during the times I would need the help.

I think I may just buy one of those hand trucks and when my machines get here try it out and see if I can manage the tilt and feel comfortable moving the machine. I suppose I could move them empty instead of being full of product which oughta shave off about 400 pounds or so!

Mr Zabe
03-10-2006, 01:42 PM
PLEASE.....do NOT attempt to move them with a full load of cans!!!!! Move them empty and fill them after you spot them into place. I know all of our seasoned industry guys will same the same thing. Loading 15 or so cases is duck soup then trying to spot in a full machine. I hope you were joking. If not your asking for some major troubles.

If it were me, I would hire a laborer for the day.
$50 spent on help beats 3 weeks in bed with pain meds. Trust me on this. smile.gif

bullman
03-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Well said. I will definitely make sure they are empty!

just thinkin
03-10-2006, 05:43 PM
I would hire a helping hand that way you get what you have to done and they are also happy to get some extra cash. plus it would save you a lot of time with extra help

Lepke
03-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Just out of curiosity. Are there no vending message boards?

Brainy
03-10-2006, 09:04 PM
Vending machine boards got over loaded so energy drink got the spill over. Watch out beer board, your next. LOL.

Red Bull Vendor
03-11-2006, 12:32 AM
bullman, you can get a 2 wheel cart with a helper wheel, so when you tilt back it only goes so far until it hits the 3rd wheel, Everything will be fine with 1 person until you have to hod the machine and run the lift gate at the same time. Alot of time you can get a helping hand at the location for a few FREE red Bulls. The only other problems are steps.

the saint
03-11-2006, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Red Bull Vendor:
bullman, you can get a 2 wheel cart with a helper wheel, so when you tilt back it only goes so far until it hits the 3rd wheel, Everything will be fine with 1 person until you have to hod the machine and run the lift gate at the same time. Alot of time you can get a helping hand at the location for a few FREE red Bulls. The only other problems are steps. I agree steps are a royal pain in the ass.
I see you have figured out how to move machines by yourself. Why just a month ago I got bashed for saying it is possible and you said:

posted 02-08-2006 07:51PM
saint,
It takes 2 guys just to tip the appliance cart back on the helper wheels.

[ 03-11-2006, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: the saint ]

bullman
03-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Red Bull Vendor:
bullman, you can get a 2 wheel cart with a helper wheel, so when you tilt back it only goes so far until it hits the 3rd wheel, Everything will be fine with 1 person until you have to hod the machine and run the lift gate at the same time. Alot of time you can get a helping hand at the location for a few FREE red Bulls. The only other problems are steps. Hey, that is a great idea! Cheap too! I will probably not pursue anywhere with steps for the time being. Just out of curiosity, do you have some kind of liability insurance just in case something happens and someone gets hurt?

the saint
03-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Yea, when the machine starts to fall push him/her all the way under it. It will squash them. Then jump up and down on the machine a couple times to make sure they are dead. That way they cannot sue you :D

[ 03-11-2006, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: the saint ]

Mr Zabe
03-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Sound like you have read your training manuel.LMAO

Red Bull Vendor
03-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Saint,
I am a pretty big guy, 250 lbs 6'0" My helper is quite smaller, He can t get the cart tipped back on his own, I can, but its always nice to have a second person.

mwhite
03-12-2006, 01:56 PM
I have 25 machines fielded. I cannot imagine one person being able to do the machine delivery - certainly not worth it.
For about 70$ an hour you can have a local moving company with a liftgate truck and two guys. I fielded all 25 for about 1250... or 50$ per, on average.

bullman
03-12-2006, 03:27 PM
I'm just about ready to order in my machines, but I really want to keep my costs down to a bare minimum at least until I get my first 5 out there bringing some money in. That's why I was asking about whether one person can handle it or not. Not that I want to do that for every machine I place thereafter, but initially, I need to see some money coming in before I start paying others to do what I can do myself.

[ 03-12-2006, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: bullman ]

mwhite
03-12-2006, 05:34 PM
That's what I'm saying - I don't think you can do it yourself. The machines come on pallets that have to be broken apart while the machine is tilted. All this has to be done before a dolly can be put under it. If you want to try it with a friend or something just make sure and give yourself plenty of time - like an hour per location at least. The other thing about the professional movers is that they are insured - if they turn a machine over and damage it you file a claim on their policy. If you damage it yourself you're probably just out the repair fee. In either case good luck.

Mr Zabe
03-12-2006, 05:41 PM
mwhite,
Thanks for the added details of moving and installing the machines. I agree with you the bonded movers are money well spent. IMO I would have them delivered and spotted into place. I would but a large plastic bag over them and swiftly deliver and spot all your machines and then fill them. This way you minimize the cost of the bonded movers.

bullman
03-12-2006, 05:58 PM
All I can say is I'm glad this message board is here. So much great advice from pros!! Sounds like the movers is the way to go. That would simplify things quite a bit and won't take nearly as much time than if I were to do it myself. Thanks guys!!

start-up
03-12-2006, 09:01 PM
just a quick suggestion, if you call your local RB distributor.. they may be able to help with placement of machines. Many distributors' have 'non- traditional' on premise sales managers who have identified numerous office buildings, rest stops , colleges, cafeterias, where access to food/ bev. is not available . most distributors get requests for vending often but do not want the commitment of machines, weekend fills, placement etc. they also would be interested in your bus. should you buy from them