PDA

View Full Version : question?

BuzzMonkey Energy
03-11-2006, 07:10 PM
what is the average order from a regional distributor on a new energy drink, how many cases?

Lepke
03-11-2006, 09:16 PM
What do you mean by regional? And cases is thinking a little small, the question should be how many pallets?

BuzzMonkey Energy
03-12-2006, 02:57 AM
Thanks Lepke...i should of known pallets NOT cases,
See as i said in another post, i can learn alot from you guys in here. What do you do? Are you a vendor, disributor,exec? By regional i mean distributors that serve a particular region.

Brainy
03-12-2006, 04:02 AM
Jfalco, It all depends on what your account base is and what the manufacture is offering. If they offer a 2 on 1, you should forcast how much of that you can place into the accts plus a very conservation projection of what you might need to replenish for a period of time (a month for me). Last thing you want to do is order and not have enough to restock and you find that it takes a month to get new stock.
There are other factors along that line but lets not forget the most important one...How much product can you afford.

Lepke
03-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Figure you will need to try and talk a distributor into taking at least 2 pallets.
But don’t figure it’s going to sell through.
It is very hard to get the consumer to buy this stuff (on the street level) it’s much easier to sell it to a distributor or for a distributor to sell it to a retailer. But to get the consumer to buy it is another story. No matter how great you think your brand is.

BuzzMonkey Energy
03-13-2006, 12:29 AM
how hard is it to get into a national distributor? which ones have you dealt with if any? or who would you recommend i take a new product to? this week i'll be able to show you guys samples, lepke ..where in nj are you? im on staten island.

Mr Zabe
03-13-2006, 01:06 AM
I could be way off in left field, so please take this thought with a big grain of salt, maybe you need to work with/hire and industry consultant. It seems you are some what in the dark with a few major parts of the business.

Maybe even a mentor type of expert to get you past the start up of the actual business. I bet your skills are more in the energy drink development part of the business,which is obviously vital to the success of your business.

Just as vital is a strong and well thought out business plan. One that takes into account short term strategies and long term strategies. I guess what I am say is that you may need a more detailed consultant to review all the nuts and bolts of this business.

Just my way of trying to be helpful. smile.gif

[ 03-13-2006, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

gopack4
03-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Zabe,
I see your in Chicago, and I'm in the burbs. Where would you recommed someone to start in putting together a business plan? Where to go for resources?

Thanks

Mr Zabe
03-13-2006, 03:29 PM
gopack4,
I wish I knew of a Chicago area person that could help you. I do not know of any industry (energy drink or soda pop) insiders/owners who could be of help. I'm hoping someone can help you off the board either via email or in a private meeting.

I'm more like a hobbyist who has a passion to learn out the soda pop industry. I love to drink soda pops and I love to learn about them as well. IMO...this industry is fascinating.

I wish you good luck in your venture.
Zabe

greg
03-13-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Lepke:
What do you mean by regional? And cases is thinking a little small, the question should be how many pallets? Pallets are great but ultimately it all comes down to case count.
When A Major supermarket does a buy-in it is by the case , not the pallet.
All Accounting is based on the case count, all sales are recorded as case counts, all shipments are counted as case counts.
g

gopack4
03-13-2006, 05:26 PM
Zabe,
You should go visit the Coca-Cola museum in Atlanta. You'd find that place fascinating, and it is, especially if you like history.

greg
03-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by jfalco:
Thanks Lepke...i should of known pallets NOT cases,
See as i said in another post, i can learn alot from you guys in here. What do you do? Are you a vendor, disributor,exec? By regional i mean distributors that serve a particular region. I'm a bit confused by your question. Do you mean a territory or a region? A region is a much larger size, sometimes encompassing many states.
A distributor I would like to use would have a pre defined territory that could be serviced easily and has reps in the field selling beverages only.
I would suggest that you stay away from Mc Clanes, American Food Service, Eby brown , etc. These guys usually work in a region and are for the most part order takers for the retailer. They will not push your brand and help build it.

Take your time and do your homework. Be sure the distributor is clearly committed to helping you build your brand while your brand helps build his bottom line. You must work synergistically to make the relationship a success.
g

BuzzMonkey Energy
03-13-2006, 07:50 PM
THANKS mr zabe, gopack, greg for your input..my background is acutually in investment banking not beverages, i also recently sold a used car dealership i started about 7 years ago( knowing nothing about the car business, i sold it for about 1.4) so starting a business i know nothing about does not scare me, if anything it keeps me on my toes.