PDA

View Full Version : Are they here to stay

just thinkin
03-14-2006, 11:58 PM
I figured I would ask this silly question about energy drinks. Do you all think they are here to stay or will certain drinks drop off and the ones at the top or remaining at the top stay around and eventually be the only energy drinks? Or will new energy drinks constantly keep on developing trying to outdue each other? And I know at least one or two people will come on this subject claiming that they have the new and upcoming award winner :D

Nick Laugher
03-15-2006, 02:24 PM
Certain drinks will drop off, drinks that are too weak are just getting by on the fact that energy drinks are the "in" thing right now, as soon as that dies out, only the drinks doing well will stick around, ie Monster, Rockstar, SoBe, Redbull... that's my opinion.

[ 03-15-2006, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Nick Laugher ]

CStoreCatMan
03-15-2006, 03:25 PM
I agree that only the top tier of drinks will be around for 2007. The energy craze, IMO, will start to fade off sometime next year. I mean, do we really need more than 24 ounces in one package? And multi-packs are all over now. We've seen straight energy, energy/juice, energy/coffee, energy/cola, low carb, etc. How many more variations do we need?

Nick Laugher
03-15-2006, 04:31 PM
As many as we can get ;)

just thinkin
03-15-2006, 05:13 PM
Do you guys think that the companies like coke and such just due to having a lot of money will still keep their energy drinks around even if they were not selling as much just to have something out there to offer even if it wasnt really worth it for them or would they just drop the whole energy drink line and go back to what they were doing in the first place? I am not taking sides but whenever i go to anyplace that sells energy drinks most of the time it seems like somebody is buying redbull, or monster and the others are just there taking up space

Nick Laugher
03-15-2006, 06:12 PM
I think they'll just keep them around, they might as well. Rockstar (coke) and Amp (pepsi) do pretty well around here. Isn't SoBe owned by Pepsi now too? If it is, I know No Fear and Arush do awesomely.

bullman
03-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Pepsi is distributing Sobe, but I don't know if they own it or not. Sobe drinks do well here as well.

Red Bull Vendor
03-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Our pepsi dist. carries sobe, and amp, Dr. Pepper does RED JAK, which I think tastes like crap, but I see it at alot of bars. What do you guys pay for amp, I cant get pepsi to sell it for any less than $38 a case so I am going to stop vending it.

start-up
03-15-2006, 09:06 PM
$38 that is insane, if Red Bull's cost to distributors is around 25 dollars and it is imported then sold for 32?. Pepsi should be able to offer heavy discounts, especially as it is an "add on" product, Arush sells better and they sell at least 4 other energy drinks? you may consider trying some second or third tier distributors?

bullman
03-16-2006, 12:03 AM
My Pepsi distributor has quoted me $31 per case. All Sobe products, Starbucks Double Shot and AMP are all $31 per case.

SumPoosieCat
03-16-2006, 12:43 AM
I have to admit I am looking forward to 2006! I think SumPoosie is very well priced in the market place and the margins distributors can make are excellent. Our problem has been getting the product out to all those that want it. I think our price points of 20 to 22 dollars a case make us very competitive. We also provide the distributor with a dollar return on each case purchased in POS!

Red Bull Vendor
03-16-2006, 01:16 AM
Why can I never get a response out of this company SumPoosie, what does it take to distribute this in IOWA. I am looking at doing it part time with my vending business

SumPoosieCat
03-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Sorry... it took months for us to realize that we get close to 80 phone calls a day to our 866 toll free line. People want to know where to get product or how to buy clothing or how to become a distributor. We left our customer service in the hands of a "gamer" and discovered many of the calls were not being serviced. We have handled that situation and in a few weeks the new website will service just about everyone's needs. Until then you can contact me directly at sumpoosie@yahoo.com YOU WILL get an immediate response.

greg
03-16-2006, 10:46 AM
I think Energy drinks are here to stay. They are a huge segment in the beverage category. Coke and Pepsi will not keep them around if they are not performing. they wil continue to innovate and try to become number one in the category to continue growth strategies.

I do believe that 24 oz drinks are way over the top and will slowly fade out. The 16 oz may become a stronger position to take however that would depend on potency and sugar content.
The American public is becoming somewhat knowledgable about nutrition and will demand changes be made in all beverages, hence the creation of Pepsi Edge and Coke Zero.

I do agree with most that just like Coke and Pepsi in the CSD arena you will have the strongest survive while the others fail. However, there will always be plenty of competition out there from start ups.

EntreEnergy
03-17-2006, 06:04 AM
There is no turning back from energy drinks now- people will begin to get used to the energy, and begin to not only not find energy in soda (o ya, soda has caffiene still lol) but not want to work without the extra energy.

I thought that pepsi does own Sobi now?

I do know however the Coke only distributes rockstar in certain areas, they also distribute van dutch energy drinks. Full throttle is their own line. Ive seen vending machines with all three of these drinks.

Christian Prickett
03-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Energy drinks are here to stay.

Like when expresso or frapichinos came out, did people say, "do you thik that energized coffee will be around in 1828?" It's still here.

Some drinks will fall by the way side. I can't see Bawls keeping up with the business when they are raising prices just ot keep pace of cost with Red Bull. The taste is unique, but some people won't pay out the nose for a drink.

There are others that are (in my opinion) crap in a can. Red Jack, Jack Schimitts, some flavors of NOS, and 100% of those wanna be Red Bulls. Those will die a slow and horrible death. I do not see every beverage making it ot the other side.

Mr Zabe
03-17-2006, 12:48 PM
Ok, I going to offer another view point. smile.gif
This is just another way to look at the energy drink trend/fad. (No bad will or Karma meant. LOL)

I believe at least from what I have learned from this board that energy drinks have basically one primary appeal to their core drinkers. That primary appeal(benefit) is to ingest a drink that will boost,jump start and or fuel an increase of energy/stamina so that greater physical and or
mental task can be accomplished.

My thought aside from the bar and night club business where some not all drink energy drinks as a form of social horn blowing LOL; most energy drinkers drink them for what they do for them.

IMO....energy drinks are a fad and not a trend (excluding the bar and night club consumers). Some time down the road short term or years from now when science/R&D finds a way to boast energy levels with neuroscience discoveries or the like, most drinkers of energy drinks will stop drinking them. I could list a few reasons why but I'm sure you could as well. My biggest reason is that as of to date, the taste and cost of most energy drinks are not endearing to their customers.

Just some things to think about.

[ 03-17-2006, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

greg
03-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
Ok, I going to offer another view point. smile.gif
This is just another way to look at the energy drink trend/fad. (No bad will or Karma meant. LOL)

I believe at least from what I have learned from this board that energy drinks have basically one primary appeal to their core drinkers. That primary appeal(benefit) is to ingest a drink that will boost,jump start and or fuel an increase of energy/stamina so that greater physical and or
mental task can be accomplished.

My thought aside from the bar and night club business where some not all drink energy drinks as a form of social horn blowing LOL; most energy drinkers drink them for what they do for them.

IMO....energy drinks are a fad and not a trend (excluding the bar and night club consumers). Some time down the road short term or years from now when science/R&D finds a way to boast energy levels with neuroscience discoveries or the like, most drinkers of energy drinks will stop drinking them. I could list a few reasons why but I'm sure you could as well. My biggest reason is that as of to date, the taste and cost of most energy drinks are not endearing to their customers.

Just some things to think about. I would be hard pressed to say anything that brings in billions in sales each year is a trend.Kids wearing their pants below their ass is a trend.
Scientist have already discovered neurological pathways to increase energy and the compounds that force reactions on those pathways. Synergistic effects of multiple ingredients feed the central nervous system causeing reactions such as vasodilation and contriction which in turn decrease and increase energy.
How many of us ever heard of Taurine before 1997? L-tyrosine, Yerba Mate, etc. RB introduced some of things to the US when it imported RB to the states.
I also believe that people would rather get their energy from a drink due to its easily absorbed delivery of ingredients. A pill has to be broken down in the stomach in which 60-70% of the active ingredients are destroyed by digestive enzymes(unless esterfied and in gel cap form)which makes them less effective.

Mr Zabe
03-17-2006, 01:17 PM
I was referring to electrical stimulation of the brain. I worked for a bio-tec company(in between)jobs. You would be amazed at some of the non-pharmaceutical,(chemical/food) scientific advances. The goal is to by pass the gastric path for absorption so that direct brain stimulation can cause the effect of energy boots.

I'm speaking of new technologies all together different from the energy drink industry.

[ 03-17-2006, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

SpaceGuy
03-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Mr Zabe should be renamed "Mr Spock" (No ill will intended). I'm thinking then that the ultimate vehicle to stimulate the brain may not be an ingested liquid.... woah! I'm scaring myself. Sounds Orwellian to say the least but way cool... sign me up for some of that direct brain stimulation! Like NOW! :cool:

Mr Zabe
03-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Over View of Brain Stimulation (http://www.musc.edu/fnrd/dbscns.htm)

Here is a link that pretty much explains the basic theory of brain stimulation. Warning it is wordy and discusses a lot of technology. It will give you an idea of what's happening in the neuroscience field. I find this field of study
fascinating. smile.gif

Note: This article talks about OCD but the same science principles are universal to many brain/cognitive functions.

[ 03-17-2006, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

greg
03-17-2006, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
I was referring to electrical stimulation of the brain. I worked for a bio-tec company(in between)jobs. You would be amazed at some of the non-pharmaceutical,(chemical/food) scientific advances. The goal is to by pass the gastric path for absorption so that direct brain stimulation can cause the effect of energy boots.

I'm speaking of new technologies all together different from the energy drink industry. So other than some type of foodgrade element that has to be passed through the digestive system it stands to reason it would be a transdermal applied directly to the head or some type of gas that is ingested and is transported through the cardiovascular system.
There are machines that take alcohol and create a gas that is ingested through a mask that leaves very little or no hangover whatsoever because the toxins left behind as waste material is non existent. But I believe most of these machines were outlawed a few years ago.

Mr Zabe
03-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Greg,
Ok, now let's take it one step further. How about wearing a cap on your head with electrical stimulation,wave energy ect. that would stimulate your adrenal gland? Do you see where this is going?

Theoretically one could have receptors implanted in ones brain that could be activated by a special head covering or device to be worn on the outside of the body.

This does not involve a patch or gas. This technology is similar to fine tuning the mother board of one's PC,by adding or subtracting elements that will enhance the mother boards efficiency. Or it is similar to setting your window's default colors to a preferred setting.

This brain science is the IMO the next major techno/bio evolution since the first Apple home PC.

[ 03-17-2006, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

greg
03-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Zabe, First off, I hope I don't come off sounding argumentative. You and I have gone back and forth before so I hope you know where I
am coming from.
I thought I was alright ingesting all these new fangled elements. Your theories intrigue me but at the same time scare me. It seems like a lot of "Big Brother" is possible if you know what I mean. SCARY.
There are people out there selling wave energy bands. I have always been skeptical but I have seen some well respected people in my industry wearing them.

Mr Zabe
03-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Greg,
I know from over the months of reading your posts on this board that you are very well educated in so many things. I mean this as a sincere compliment. I also say this because, the things that you post about are right on target. You do have a good understanding of medical and other sciences.

What I have shared with you is not my theory oh I wish it were. LOL It is my limited understanding of the current state of neruo science. This study of the function of the brain is very much a reality. It is not part of science fiction,it is part of a search to improve/cure the human mind and physical conditions of millions of people who so suffer.

Big Brother is not in anyway a concern for the person who can not walk without pain or leave their house due intense fear. Ask these people if they care if someone or something could monitor their movements.

I respect you enough to ask your to spend some time looking up this subject on the cyber highway.
I have not glorified or tried to create some wild concept. My friend,this science is very real.

Many millions if not several billion dollars gets put into research grants and studies. I know these things because I suffer with a few medical problems and so far medication has helped but not to the point of me having a somewhat "normal" life. If I could get enough therapeutic benefit from this cutting edge "new" medicine;I would do so in a heart beat. I also believe I'm not alone in this mind set. smile.gif

This research has other secondary benefits. Just like the NASA's R&D provided all sorts of pure science which improved human life on earth.

[ 03-17-2006, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

greg
03-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Well Zabe, good thing it is the weekend coming up. I just started to read that information mor ein depth and it looks like I am going to have to break out the medical dictionary on this one LOL.
Thanks for the compliment and it's always great bantoring with someone as yourself.
g

just thinkin
03-17-2006, 08:36 PM
can i get a brain stimulation with vodka please?

Mr Zabe
03-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Sure stick your tong in a 2oz shot of Trod vodka and hold the two bare ends of a live extension cord in each hand.....then brace yourself for so much stimulation your hair will invert back into your scalp. LMAO

[ 03-17-2006, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]