PDA

View Full Version : Possible Machine Burglary?

bullman
04-19-2006, 12:34 AM
I have had my first machine out on location for one week. I have had 45 product vends, 35 of which were vended at $2.00 and 10 were vended at $1.00 (bottled water).

My math:
35 x $2.00 = $70.00
10 x $1.00 = $10.00

Yet, the money I collected equals $32.00.

How could this be? I reset all resettable counters when I placed the machine last week to zero, so the counts are for exactly one week.

If the machine is dropping 2 cans instead of 1, could it be counting both? I have done several test vends, however, and I have never experienced anything other than one can per vend.

Also, I double checked my prices, and the machine will not vend $2.00 drinks unless you deposit $2.00. Getting a $2.00 drink with just $1.00 does not work.

The way I see it, either the machine is not counting accurately, or someone has been able to rig free vends somehow, or someone picked my lock and raided the bill recepticle, although I have not seen any physical evidence to support this theory. However, actual product sales will be verified when I do a physical inventory count this Saturday, so if the product really was not vended and the counts were skewed, I should be able to tell easy enough.

For the next week, I will record sales by the vend count and by the dollar value of sales for each column in the machine. During the 2nd shift, there won't be any (or at least very little) money in the machine to pilfer. I will post the outcome.

[ 04-18-2006, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: bullman ]

Red Bull Vendor
04-19-2006, 01:29 AM
Stupid question? Are you counting the change that is collecting in the changer?

Red Bull Vendor
04-19-2006, 01:30 AM
Also, if you are test vending, do the test vends count on your counter?

-VV-
04-19-2006, 01:39 AM
Hey Bullman, check your PMs.

EntreEnergy
04-19-2006, 06:30 AM
Ya ive had a few sales all in quarters. This is out of the merlin?

bullman
04-19-2006, 12:57 PM
If by changer you are referring to the coin tube, then yes - there was $2.00 more in quarters than what I started out with last week. What I collected was $32 in bills and $2.00 in quarters.

Red Bull Vendor
04-19-2006, 09:28 PM
did you check to see if your test vends were part of your count?

Doug
04-19-2006, 11:47 PM
How new is the machine? The newer the machine, the more advanced the built-in anti-theft devices are...I know the early 90s Coke and Pepsi machines were easily burglarized a number of different ways...

bullman
04-20-2006, 12:34 PM
When I collected money the other day, I reset all the "resettable" counters, including for each selection, by row and for the entire machine.

I go back last night to check on things, and daggone it, it had reverted back to the old numbers and added that day's sales to it.

Long story short, I will have to do a physical count of what is in the machine, add to that the amounts on-hand in my garage and subtract that from my purchase amounts. Hopefully, the numbers will match up with the cash I'm collecting.

Meanwhile, I've been in touch with the manufacturer's tech support, and they report no known problems. So, when I get my other machines here in about a week, I will call them back and have them walk me through the whole process just to make sure I'm good to go. I can then make any needed changes to the machine I have already located.

These are brand new machines, and I have also understood that they are, for the most part, very difficult to steal from.

I will continue to update.

the saint
04-20-2006, 04:25 PM
No vending machine is difficult to steal from. It only matters on the determination of the thief.

Lepke
04-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Sledgehammer, hack saw, sawzall, Jaws of Life, cinder block. Baseball bat
If there is no one around and you can make as much noise as you want. go for it.
Hell take the whole damn machine put it in your playroom.

Any one else have any ideas on how to break into a vending machine?

[ 04-20-2006, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

Mr Zabe
04-20-2006, 04:59 PM
I had a friend that had a small neighborhood corner grocery/c-store. The store was located a block form lake Michigan in a very rough neighborhood. Actually I used to work there on the weekends for spending money and free groceries.

He owned his own vending machine. He use to fill it up with mostly store brand soda pop and charge 20 to 30 cents less as a way to keep his customers happy (his grocery prices were 30% higher than the big grocery stores.)

Any how every once in a while this pop machine would get tampered with. So he installed a fancy security camera system and put up warning signs. That pretty much solved the problem.

-VV-
04-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Hey Bullman, did you ever get this issue sorted?

bullman
04-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Yes, I did. Thanks for asking. I was following the directions printed on the inside of the door, which were more ambiguous than the ones printed in the brochure. Long story short, I needed to punch in one additional digit to get the resettable vend count per column. Once I did that, I got accurate numbers.

On a separate note (but still related to the topic at hand), I received 2 more BC10 machines the other day, and I tried the key for my first machine on these two machines and unlocked both of them. Not good!!

drpep
04-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by the saint:
No vending machine is difficult to steal from. It only matters on the determination of the thief. Three years after going unclaimed it was decided to bust open a gumball machine and get the coins out before tossing the machine. First several hard whacks with a hammer on the plastic display window. Nothing happens. Tossed it off the loading dock. Only resulted in one of the legs coming off. Brought it back inside and ran into it with a motorized pallet jack. One big dent. Repeated hits with pallet jack finally broke open machine but not coin box. Tossed off loading dock again broke machine into several pieces and some coins tumbled out of small split in coin box. Muiltipple hits with fork from pallet jack results in a bit larger split of coin box. Finally picked up what was left of machine and shook coins out.
Now if we had had a reciprocating saw the story would have been different.

fusion
04-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by bullman:

On a separate note (but still related to the topic at hand), I received 2 more BC10 machines the other day, and I tried the key for my first machine on these two machines and unlocked both of them. Not good!! You should install a second lock on the machines. They are placed on the side, near the top of the door.

bullman
04-28-2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks! That makes sense. Scary to think that someone else using these machines could get into mine so easily.