PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's "Say It Ain't So"

Mr Zabe
05-26-2006, 12:13 PM
Energy Drinkls At McDonalds (http://www.suntimes.com/output/business/cst-fin-mac26.html)

Read this article and then you can say "Say It Ain't So". :cool: Looks like my arm chair thought on McD's was way off some where in outer space. LOL

[ 05-26-2006, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

SumPoosieCat
05-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Rockstar at McD's sounds great !

Doug
05-26-2006, 01:37 PM
Are they going to have it from the fountain or in mini-coolers? Do they even make fountain energy drinks?

David J.
05-26-2006, 02:08 PM
I told you this was a "next frontier". I think they'd be in minicoolers, it'd make more sense personally because of safety concerns or whatnot.

A lot McD's fountains are always full and it is hard to ween people off of what is there.

Mr Zabe
05-26-2006, 02:16 PM
My guess is that they will serve energy drinks (cans) behind the service counter as to avoid any shrinkage during peak sales periods. As most of us know, busy McD's during lunch or dinner hours can be like a mad house. LOL

[ 05-26-2006, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
05-26-2006, 02:31 PM
I doubt it will be in the fountain.

Parents would not like for their children to have the ability to fill their 32oz cups with an energy drink.

David J.
05-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Well, at Applebee's you can get SOBE Adrenaline Rush, and they say it is served in a large glass, so I am wondering if it is a fountain drink there?

It's included with every other softdrink on their menu, not with the beers or wine.

the saint
05-26-2006, 09:53 PM
I will stand corrected when I personally see this happen. I guess I was wrong in my assumption against this happening.

Charles Hobbs
05-29-2006, 04:48 PM
I once saw an "off-brand" energy drink (Mustang or Stallion or something like that) in a fountain at a 7-11 in Pasadena (CA)....

fusion
05-29-2006, 07:16 PM
I think the biggest concern would be shrink due to employee theft. I don't see this being a fountain thing - Coke wouldn't want to dilute the Rockstar or Full Throttle brands that much.

upinarms
05-29-2006, 08:18 PM
I definately wouldn't imagine this being a fountain item. I don't like either one that much, well FT isn't bad. Just doesn't seem like something I could sip while eating McDs, though. Especially that spicy-ish kick of Rockstar, I couldn't image having that wash my Big Mac down.

Regardless if its in the can or in the fountain, shrink will most likely still occur. With kids, if its there it will be taken, its not like these are the same level of people working at Microsoft or something.

greg
05-30-2006, 05:42 PM
I could see them putting in a special fountain behind the counter. It would be definitely more profitable, easier, and managable. If they use the cans they will have to get sizable coolers to carry the volume as well as need greater space to hold the inventory. The BIB would give them more pours per bag than the same amount of space used up by cans. I would guess at best 2 cases of cans per 1 BIB , and thats being liberal.

Mr Zabe
05-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Excellent point and makes the most sense. smile.gif

Doug
05-30-2006, 09:31 PM
The only thing with putting it in a fountain is-you know people take 2nds without asking or paying, and with the current price of Red Bull in cans, buying all that syrup could be quite expensive, and you could also have people filling up then leaving it in the fridge at home

Red Sox fan
05-31-2006, 10:26 AM
If they take in an established brand, like FT or RS, then it would have to be in some type of modified can.

Now, if they use some sort of Private Label or generic brand, then it could be a BIB.

greg
05-31-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Doug:
The only thing with putting it in a fountain is-you know people take 2nds without asking or paying, and with the current price of Red Bull in cans, buying all that syrup could be quite expensive, and you could also have people filling up then leaving it in the fridge at home I said they should put it BEHIND the counter!

David J.
05-31-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Red Sox fan:
Now, if they use some sort of Private Label or generic brand, then it could be a BIB. Well in that case, I wouldn't be suprised if they took the KMX forumla and rebranded it as "McEnergy" or something.

Mr Zabe
05-31-2006, 04:58 PM
I'll bet that in the Chicago suburban market,McD and BK will have Vault on their fountains. IMO it would be good for the fast food resturants,good for the customers and good for Coca Cola.

Many customers will try Vault for the first time. The MD drinkers will try Vault and become open minded to giving Vault a try at the grocery store level.

[ 05-31-2006, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Red Sox fan
05-31-2006, 05:58 PM
Vault @ McD's makes TOTAL sense!

pepsidew
05-31-2006, 06:13 PM
woohoo fat & cholesterol from the food and an energy drink to blow up your heart - good combo

CStoreCatMan
05-31-2006, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Red Sox fan:
Vault @ McD's makes TOTAL sense! Nah..just kick out Coke and go with Pepsi & DEW!!! :D

SURGE
06-01-2006, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by CStoreCatMan:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Red Sox fan:
Vault @ McD's makes TOTAL sense! Nah..just kick out Coke and go with Pepsi & DEW!!! :D </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah cuz that worked great for BK in the 80's :D

fusion
06-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Beverage Digest is reporting that this concept is already being tested in the Bryan/College Station area of Texas.

Red Sox fan
06-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Fusion,

What Energy Drink are the Mcdonalds selling in that area now?

NRGSLLR
06-08-2006, 05:57 PM
I have heard of Rockstar selling at $250.00 per 5 gallon BIB. Anyone else seen this type of price. I would doubt if coke would sell RS to McDonalds since they don't own the brand! Coke is extremely protective of McDonalds'just ask Dannon Water. My vote is if any energy drinks at McDonalds it will be Vault.

fusion
06-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Article just mentions Tab Energy and Full Throttle. But they are also selling Dr Pepper reg/diet in 16.9oz, and for some odd reason, Arizona Tea which they are buying from a club store (DPSUBG has Arizona in most of TX).

http://www.beverage-digest.com/editorial/060609.php

David J.
06-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Going off topic here, because it was mentioned in this thread before, saying that McD's should go to Pepsi: I've heard Pepsi is REALLY expensive, so is that why it is in less fountains, on average?

Hell, the local Nice-N-Easy's get their Pepsi products from a local Sams Club. And my manager said BK (corprate) switched from Pepsi because it was cheaper. Truth?

Android
06-08-2006, 08:29 PM
I don't know for sure why BK went back to Coke. They weren't with Pepsi that long, really. But Coke is very aggressive with their fountain accounts - it's a captive market that usually has no competition from other soda brands, and Coke has always had by far the the most volume sold in fountains. And they want to keep it that way. I'd be willing to guess that when BK went to Pepsi, they had enough customer input saying they wanted Coke back, plus I'm sure Coke wanted that major account back to underbid Pepsi enough to make sure it would happen.

-Andy

mr jones
06-08-2006, 08:48 PM
McDonalds food is nasty...washing it down with a Rockstar or Full Throttle is even more nasty.

David J.
06-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Well, all three of the top 3 Burger joints (Wendys, BK, and McD's) are all exclusively Coke. The only fountains where Pepsi is in my area is at the fast-tracs, quiznos and one or two of the local resturants.

Except the local Wendy's which still serves Pepsi.

Doug
06-17-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by greg:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Doug:
The only thing with putting it in a fountain is-you know people take 2nds without asking or paying, and with the current price of Red Bull in cans, buying all that syrup could be quite expensive, and you could also have people filling up then leaving it in the fridge at home I said they should put it BEHIND the counter! </font>[/QUOTE]But what about the McDonald's that have fountains behind the counter and in front? You just leave RB out of the front's fountains?

Doug
06-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by NRGSLLR:
I have heard of Rockstar selling at $250.00 per 5 gallon BIB. Anyone else seen this type of price. I would doubt if coke would sell RS to McDonalds since they don't own the brand! Coke is extremely protective of McDonalds'just ask Dannon Water. My vote is if any energy drinks at McDonalds it will be Vault. That's nuts

Rob The SURGE Drinker
06-17-2006, 01:33 PM
vault would be nice at mc donalds... and also, 7,000th e-drink post total

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-18-2006, 12:59 PM
i wonder how mcdonalds would treat this in deposit states such as michigan. would i be able to bring in my empty rockstar cans to mcdonalds?

sirslash
06-18-2006, 10:53 PM
well Target sells soda and doesnt take returns along with places like quiznos and dont have to take returns

Mr Zabe
06-18-2006, 10:59 PM
LOL
Here in Illinois we trash all bottles and cans as we wish or we toss them in the gutter. LOL (Joke)

[ 06-20-2006, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

OSU
06-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Slowly but surely you will start seeing Rockstar in more ares/ locations where Coca Cola is offered since they bought the Distributon rights,They failed as as a manufacture several times in this catagory and surrendered and purchased success in Rockstar distribution..
What I have seen in my area is the "fountain Formula" in various restaurants versus cans.