PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know the caffeine equivalent of 1500 mg of Guarana

jacksmom
06-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Hi,
I'm new here - although I've been a "lurker" for probably over a year now. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how much caffeine 1500 mg of Guarana is equivalent to? I bought a drink called "Guarana Rain" which claims to have no caffeine, only "natural guarana" of 1500 mg. Anybody know what that equates to or, moreover, has anybody tried this drink? Thanks for your help. smile.gif

DudeMan
06-25-2006, 10:42 AM
Depends on the standardisation of the Guarana used. It usually ranges from 8% to 22%. The label sometimes says it. I'm guessing they're in the 8% to 10% range, so probably 120mg to 150mg caffeine.

Ron Swedelson
06-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Guarana is more potent than Caffiene. Granted, it does determain if you are using the juice for flavor, or the actually nut-like seed and extracting the "caffiene". But an 80mg. serving of Guarana would equal 200 mgs of regular caffiene.

DudeMan
06-26-2006, 05:13 AM
If that was correct, the 1500mg of Guarana in that drink would equal 3750mg of Caffeine. Enough to send someone to the ER. That doesn't make any sense.

First of all, 80mg of something cannot contain 200mg of something else. As far as potency equivalence, Caffeine belongs to a family of chemicals called Xanthines. Guarana contains a form of Xanthine that is extremely similar but not identical to Caffeine. The difference is negligible which is why most people say that Gurana contains Caffeine, and some people say it's a bit more potent.

What's used in energy drinks is Guarana Seed Extract. The extract has a standarization percentage and that percentage is the amount of Caffeine contained in the Guarana.

Ron Swedelson
06-26-2006, 10:50 AM
I know there is a difference between the two. But you can compare. 80 mgs. of Guarana is equivilent to 200 mgs. of caffiene. But if a drink is asying 1500 mgs. of Guarana, then it is probably talking about the berry juice and not the stimulant.

jacksmom
06-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys, though I'm still not sure I understand exactly how much caffeine it would be equivalent to. I did drink it this morning, though, and noticed it did say Guarana Extract 1500 mg - not sure if that's any different. However, I'm very small (about 100 lbs), so a little caffeine goes a long way on me. So far, I don't feel jittery or shaky like I usually do, but I wonder if that's because it's purely Guarana and no caffeine? Oh well, just curious.

DudeMan
06-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Call them up and ask them what percentage Guarana Extract they use. The lowest I've seen so for was 8%. If they're using 8% standardized your drink contains 120mg of Caffeine.

jacksmom
06-26-2006, 03:52 PM
I did actually call them up - they said the amount of guarana extract they used (1500 mg) is equivalent to 65 mg of caffeine. This was in a 12 oz. can, which I haven't seen many energy drinks in, and was partly why I bought it. 16 ounces is too much caffeine for me, but I can't stand shelling out that much money for an 8 ounce can.

greg
06-26-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by jacksmom:
I did actually call them up - they said the amount of guarana extract they used (1500 mg) is equivalent to 65 mg of caffeine. This was in a 12 oz. can, which I haven't seen many energy drinks in, and was partly why I bought it. 16 ounces is too much caffeine for me, but I can't stand shelling out that much money for an 8 ounce can. You shouldn't judge an energy drink by it's size or cost. You should judge it by it's potency and its effectiveness.
I could give you 24oz of a drink with 3 servings, 32g of sugar per serving and some caffiene for $1.59 but that doesn't make it a good drink.

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-27-2006, 03:46 PM
One also has to remember how differently different people can process guarana in their bodies. Caffeine can affect people in different ways, and guarana is the same way.

LuxIsGod
06-28-2006, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by jacksmom:
I did actually call them up - they said the amount of guarana extract they used (1500 mg) is equivalent to 65 mg of caffeine. This was in a 12 oz. can, which I haven't seen many energy drinks in, and was partly why I bought it. 16 ounces is too much caffeine for me, but I can't stand shelling out that much money for an 8 ounce can. Most energy drink manufacturers print on their cans, "X amount of caffiene from Guarana extract." If you ask them the TOTAL amount of caffiene, it is several times greater. They have sources of caffiene other than Guarana. Call the manufacturer again and ask for the total amount. Hope to hear from you soon.

jacksmom
06-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Actually, when I spoke with them, they did indicate that was the total amount of caffeine - they only use guarana as the caffeine source, no taurine (although I'm not sure if that's a caffeine source) or regular caffeine. I think that's why I didn't get all shaky like I usually do (I'm a weakling when it comes to caffeine). Thanks for the input!

Cydney
08-09-2006, 05:40 PM
When you called the company, the information they gave you is correct.
The total mg of actual caffeine you are getting is about 65 mg per 12 ounces.
A typical cup of coffee may only be a maximum of 120 mg. So it really isn't much overall.
I know this am I am the Food Scientist who they hired to formulate this product.

jacksmom
08-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks Cydney - I must say, I did really enjoy the drink - the flavor was good, not medicinal, and rather than feeling "buzzed" like from other "energy drinks" I just feel refreshed - a very well done product.