PDA

View Full Version : Monster distribution ?

southern man
07-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Here in S.Carolina the local distributor has quit selling Monster. When does A-B begin selling it ?

dahojo
07-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Where in South Carolina?

southern man
07-13-2006, 06:09 PM
Charleston

SumPoosieCat
07-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Who was the distributor?

DMC
07-16-2006, 01:08 PM
here at lake of the ozarks, a lot of stores are out of monster, because the local distributer here, (sunny farm, extention off of hiland) quit distributing it, and everyone is waiting on A-B to pick it up. i look forward to it, because the lake area doesnt have Lost, and A-B is suppose to start distributing it once they pick monster up.

NRgizR
07-31-2006, 04:24 PM
Does that surprise anyone? As suggested earlier, this might not be as good a deal as many thought.

Red Sox fan
08-01-2006, 12:23 AM
Switching distributors is no easy task. Espcially if you are switching into a massive system like AB.

Beyond just the logistics and contracts that must be worked out, it takes many months for a new product (Monster) to fully integrate itself into a totally new distribution system (A-B). In the interim there is a window of opportunity for competitors to capitalize by taking Monsters sapce etc as things get worked out.

It took many months before Rockstar was fully integrated into CCE's system and to get it to the point where it was full steam ahead.

greg
08-01-2006, 10:32 AM
I agree with RED SOX FAN.

When I worked for Pepsi and we took over SOBE it was a long and arduous task.
Be prepared for shortages to occur with the new Distribution in place. AB has a stellar performance rating in getting products into its customers outlets.

Changeover does take a while.

ALLPRO
08-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Just found out the 7-up distributor in my territory just go the bad news...Monster is going to the AB Distributor. 7-Up lost Red Bull a few months ago and now they just lost Monster. OUCH!
They still have Rockstar...for now.

greg
08-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by ALLPRO:
Just found out the 7-up distributor in my territory just go the bad news...Monster is going to the AB Distributor. 7-Up lost Red Bull a few months ago and now they just lost Monster. OUCH!
They still have Rockstar...for now. You better "perform" ALLPRO, hes been after REDLINE!!!

J/K

ALLPRO IS MY BEST DISTRIBUTOR!!!!!!

zne0
08-03-2006, 03:10 PM
I also a gree with red sox fan..but.. hansens sign this distribution contract with AB four months ago?? is just now starting to switch distributors, rockstar on the other hand sign on distribution contracts and was pulled from distributor in a mater of weeks so lets hope hansens is doing this at a slower paste covering all the details so that the transition is a smoot one.

reset man
08-03-2006, 11:43 PM
AB distributor is taking over at the end of August in upstate New York. It's being yanked from Snapple Dist., Inc. who give just about the worst service I've ever seen from a beverage distributor.

DMC
08-07-2006, 11:46 AM
this deal is going to wind up being great for monster. AB is in every bar in america, and they are going to push to have monster in their bars. ab will go and cut out crazy ass deals with bar owners, get red bull out and get monster in. don't know if you've noticed yet, but monster put out their 8 oz can line up just about a month or so ago. i guarantee it if they didn't get picked up by AB, those 8 ounce cans wouldn't be out.

dahojo
08-07-2006, 01:45 PM
8 OZ cans been out since last year.

DMC
08-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by dahojo:
8 OZ cans been out since last year. oh. well okay then. thank you for putting me in my place.

i just assumed they just made them, because the 8oz cans just started coming out here on the markedt since A-B took over distributing. they also brought in Lost in our area, which we never had before now. anytime i would go to st. louis i would always be sure to go into a c-store before leaving the city and buy 6 cans or so of that stuff!! it's great!

dahojo
08-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Monster tried to do the bar thing last year with them.

DMC
08-07-2006, 07:50 PM
gotcha. do you think that now A-B has them exclusively, monster will be in bars?? A-B can offer a lot to get monster in bars, and they do a pretty good job in getting their 180 energy drink in the bars, down here at the lake anyways.

Coco Rico
08-08-2006, 07:25 PM
DMC,

Actually AB had a really hard time getting 180 into bars and getting any traction with it in the bars they did gain. Even in St. Louis it was a struggle for them.

The only reason 180 is in a handful of bars in Lake of the Ozarks (I go down to visit friends there every summer)is because the Busch family has property there and bars are given it free so that Auggie Busch sees it when he goes out with his cronies.

In fact, from speaking with some people at the Lake, Red Bull actually allows a couple bars to carry 180 since the only ones asking for it are the AB reps. I doubt they'll allow Monster the same lee-way.

CR

[ 08-08-2006, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Coco Rico ]

Ron Swedelson
08-09-2006, 12:09 PM
I have only seen 180 in 1 bar out here in California since its launch. Granted, Monster does have a strong appeal. But with energy drinks, it is so much more than just distribution and a package and price. Its got to have that vibe and appeal, or no one will want it. I don't know if Monster has that in the on-premis. Its just not what we expect...no one asked for a Vodka and Hansens in a bar...you must re-educate the onpremise crowd, not just simply give them another choice.

DMC
08-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Coco Rico:
DMC,

Actually AB had a really hard time getting 180 into bars and getting any traction with it in the bars they did gain. Even in St. Louis it was a struggle for them.

The only reason 180 is in a handful of bars in Lake of the Ozarks (I go down to visit friends there every summer)is because the Busch family has property there and bars are given it free so that Auggie Busch sees it when he goes out with his cronies.

In fact, from speaking with some people at the Lake, Red Bull actually allows a couple bars to carry 180 since the only ones asking for it are the AB reps. I doubt they'll allow Monster the same lee-way.

CR yeah, i deliver to the Anheuser-Busch Complex, which is a massive "mini resort" i guess you can call it, for all the big AB guys, and their friends, and their sponsors, etc. it's down B.54 onto hh in a place called Tree Top. i've seen Auggie Busch twice there. in the summer, they order about 40-70 cases of Evian 11oz water from coke, and 12pack cans, etc. the complex is packed pretty much 24/7 during the summer time. If you're ever down at the lake, and see a Dr. Pepper sidebay going by, it's me! if you're wondering why i work for coke and i'm in a DP truck, it's because we're an independent bottling company!

NRgizR
08-11-2006, 02:55 PM
DMC Wrote:
ab will go and cut out crazy ass deals with bar owners, get red bull out and get monster in.DMC,
Not as easy as you think. You can barley find 180 in AB's own backyard. Why are they, miraculously, going to make this push? Crazy ass deals mean nothing when there is no pull through. Although AB is in "every bar in America" no one has answered the question about accounts AB distributors currently do not and will not distribute to. (i.e. Walgreens, Walmat discount)

Also, I'm sure Auggie would appreciate you giving the location of his place at the lake. Did you say you currently drive a DP truck? ;) ;)

Coco Rico
08-11-2006, 05:21 PM
DMC,

That's cool. If I ever see you down that way I'll give you a shout. I've been out a couple of times when Auggie and his "crew" have rolled into a bar. It's pretty funny because within seconds everyone in the bar has some sort of AB product in front of them whether they ordered it or not.

You should see the looks on their face when I order a Miller Lite instead ;) It's not that I really like Miller Lite, I just don't like having things forced on me to placate some big shot and his sycophants.

CR

[ 08-11-2006, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Coco Rico ]

DMC
08-12-2006, 01:49 PM
it's not really "auggies place". it is, but it isn't. it's like a mini resort with probably 15-20 octagonal houses, and has a big convention center, where they do all the meetings. sure, auggie does a lot of vacationing down there, but it's mainly a place for him and his staff to get away and have meetings and bring important people down and cater to them.

fusion
08-12-2006, 10:11 PM
My main concern for coverage would be the states where alcohol isn't widely sold - can you see beer reps going into a grocery store to sell 3-4 cases of Monster, or into smaller non-beer accounts? Doubtful.

Canada Dry Honickman actually does a half-decent job with Monster, since they lost Rockstar in most of their territory (Philadelphia Coke has Monster, so they kept Rockstar in those areas).

Red Sox fan
08-14-2006, 11:42 PM
I do not believe Monster will give Bud distribution in states where c-store and grocery stores are not licensed.