PDA

View Full Version : Best Tasting Energy Drink?

jacksmom
08-18-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm sure this has been posted somewhere before, but if you had to choose an energy drink solely based on flavor (not the "kick" it gives you), what is the very best tasting drink you have found?

greg
08-18-2006, 10:59 AM
I like Sumpossie if it strictly for taste. However, it seems that POWER POP by other poeples testimonials is awesome as well.

Nick Laugher
08-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Crunk has a really awesome taste, so do Hype and Monster Khaos. But overall I'd say the best tasting energy drink for me is either Hype or Tab.

Fixx
08-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Reality is, taste doesnt matter so it is a moot point to even discuss it. The public has said over and over again that taste doesnt matter. If you ask the average Red Bull consumer if they like the taste of Red Bull they will say no but they "use it" <sort of like a drug> they dont "drink it" like you would any other beverage.

Just one man's opinion with some fact to it.

Later.

greg
08-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Fixx:
Reality is, taste doesnt matter so it is a moot point to even discuss it. The public has said over and over again that taste doesnt matter. If you ask the average Red Bull consumer if they like the taste of Red Bull they will say no but they "use it" <sort of like a drug> they dont "drink it" like you would any other beverage.

Just one man's opinion with some fact to it.

Later. The question is not whether the taste is a deciding factor in your decision making process, it is What do you think is the best tasting Energy Drink.
I don't think it is a moot point. The taste has to be somewhat pallitable(sp?) or the public would reject it completely.

[ 08-18-2006, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: greg ]

Nick Laugher
08-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Greg is absolutely right.

ALLPRO
08-19-2006, 12:06 AM
Burn2 from Source Beverage is the best one I have ever tasted. Citrus flavor with no aftertaste. They did a great job masking all the herbs and caffeine.
BTW: Mega Energy from Fuze was a great tasting product as well. Do they still make Mega?

Doug
08-19-2006, 12:21 AM
I really like the way Rockstar Juiced tastes

jacksmom
08-19-2006, 09:23 AM
In reference to whether or not the taste matters, I'll agree that when Red Bull was first created, yes, people did not care so much about the taste as they did the "buzz." That being said, with all the energy drinks on the market now, I certainly think taste has become a much more important factor. I'd like to think that I can enjoy an energy drink just as much for the flavor as the effect of it.

Allpro - we still have Fuze Mega Energy here in Utah - I agree they taste very good - I prefer the Lime Mojito to the fruit flavored one, though.

ehinkes
08-19-2006, 07:48 PM
I'd agree with what Doug, Allpro and Nick said: Hype is great, Burn2 rocks and so does Rockstar Juiced. I also really like Kronik, SoBe Gold, and RipIt Atomic Pom.
------------------------
E
http://taurinerules.blogspot.com

Nick Laugher
08-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Liquid Ice definitely has a unique flavour.

DJ HawaiianShirt
08-20-2006, 06:16 PM
Sobe Adrenaline Rush and Liquid Blow.

SumPoosieCat
08-20-2006, 08:03 PM
I like Liquid Ice and I love the taste of SumPoosie.

Christian Prickett
08-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Bawls, sugar free, is my favorite.

And those who say taste doesn't matter about choosing an energy drink are full of it. If it tastes like crap in a can, why drink it? "Oh I got a great boost from this stale urine in a can." Really, who says that?

Fixx
08-22-2006, 04:23 PM
No, taste DOESNT matter. The consumer has spoken. What is the best selling energy drink on the market RIGHT NOW!?
Answer: Red Bull

What is the best tasting energy drink on the market right now?
Many others depending on taste.

The average Red Bull consumer doesnt "drink" Red Bull, they "use Red Bull". If taste was the determining factor in an energy drink selling, then why did Hansen's copy Red Bull with Monster? Taste is the same as Red Bull and it looks even like the ingredients are the same as well. Just different packaging.

Monster is definitively the #2 seller in the category and their taste is along the same lines as Red Bull. So taste is NOT the factor when it comes to energy drinks. The consumer asks "does it work?" not "how it tastes?"

Later.

greg
08-22-2006, 04:37 PM
FIXX,
I believe that taste is a determining factor in what people look for in an Energy Drink. RB was the first to take an ED mass market so people came to expect ED's to taste a certain way. It is my opinion that times are changing and that taste is becoming a determining factor in ED choices. If taste was not a determining fractor then everyone would taste the same and the deciding factor would be price.

CStoreCatMan
08-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Agreed. Now we're starting to see variations of energy drinks. There was the product BevNet just reviewed last week called something like Phat Fruit...a fruit-drink style energy drink. WHY do you think they did that? TASTE. If the functionality of a drink is good AND it tastes great, I think it could do very well. As for me, I like A-rush and Sobe Gold. I have yet to try SP or LB...though I know they'll be good based on what I'm hearing on the boards.

ALLPRO
08-23-2006, 10:39 PM
CStoreCatMan,
I just received samples of Phat Fruit. It taste really good. I think you make a good point concerning the variations of Energy Drinks. Phat Fruit just might find a niche in this category.

CStoreCatMan
08-24-2006, 11:23 AM
I think the example of Phat Fruit is just the beginning of a whole new wave of energy drinks...
Consumers change their minds about what they want constantly. Yes, you have those that are happy sticking with the same thing, but many look for alternatives as time goes on. CSD used to be the biggest and almost only beverage category there was. Now, there are how many non carb categories? Energy drinks will experience the same IMO...there WILL be more and more variations of energy drinks and/or alternatives to them that function just as well and taste a lot better!

NRGSLLR@
08-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Taste does matter. Why do you think Hansen's/Full Throttle/SoBe have so many different flavors? Now we are seeing Jucied versions. Khaos, RockStar Juiced etc.

fusion
08-24-2006, 11:52 PM
I thought 180 was the best tasting, even though it gave me no energy boost.

As far as the newer drinks, Monster Khaos is quite tasty.

Daisy
10-27-2006, 02:02 PM
I would have to say Rockstar Guava, but the zero carb wildberry Rockstar is a close second. Especially for having no carbs!

greg
10-27-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Daisy:
I would have to say Rockstar Guava, but the zero carb wildberry Rockstar is a close second. Especially for having no carbs! Daisy, take a look at the wildberry Rockstar again and then try a Redline...the only difference as far as taste goes is that Redline is not carbonated.

Nick Laugher
10-27-2006, 02:36 PM
I love the taste of Redline.

ALLPRO
10-28-2006, 07:37 PM
Rockstar Zero Carb is pretty good. Burn2 is still the best tasting ED, plus it is loaded with ingredients that get you pretty "jacked up"

BriGuy20
10-29-2006, 12:13 AM
My favorite at the moment would probably be either Rockstar Juiced Guava or Monster Khaos, with regular (Green) Monster and Bawls closely behind.

A friend that hadn't tried energy drinks before liked Full Throttle best, but I'd put it near the bottom of energy drinks I've tried as far as taste goes.

I think taste will start to matter more as the market matures. People that start on Red Bull probably won't mind switching to something with a better taste as time goes on.

BluejacketT
12-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Sobe Adrenaline Rush.

Dr. dnL
12-11-2006, 09:33 AM
On taste alone Full Throttle and Von Dutch were my favorite energy drinks. Although neither gave me very much of a boost.

Monster's line of ED are also very tasty. The Jolt flavors are good too.

For taste, every flavor of RockStar tastes like a sweaty man's ass (or so I've been told).

mofizz
12-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Sobe Adrenaline Rush....good stuff

David J.
12-11-2006, 04:09 PM
I didn't like Sobe Adrenaline Rush in the past, but I tried it again recently, and I was very impressed.

DudeMan
12-16-2006, 10:04 PM
FIXX: I have to disgree with you. Hansen's didn't copy Red Bull at all with Monster. As a matter of fact, Red Bull has a LOT to envy about Monster. Monster tastes nothing like it, it's delicious, and consumers think it's very cool. Red Bull is an acquired taste. Kind of like beer. People get used to the taste and enjoy the buzz. I also think that energy drinks shouldn't taste "too good". The bad taste of Red Bull ads to the placebo effect and reminds the consumer that they are drinking something functional.

To answer the question. I think Monster tasted delicious. The flavor really has its unique character and is "addictive". Rockstar Juiced tasted to me like SoBe No Fear. But I prefer No Fear.

SumPoosieCat
12-17-2006, 12:12 AM
Sobe Adrenaline Rush is horrible... really bad. I have yet to taste one with really good flavor like mine... but what did you expect me to say.

greg
12-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by DudeMan:
FIXX: .... I also think that energy drinks shouldn't taste "too good". The bad taste of Red Bull ads to the placebo effect and reminds the consumer that they are drinking something functional.
Why shouldn't an energy drink taste good? Placebo Effect? You think that a placebo effect is a result of not enjoyuing your beverage?
ED's, at least early ED's taste/tasted bad due to the raw materials not being masked that well. Even with a ton of sugar these drinks still have the "herbal" taste. Ed's have come a long way in the last 10 years and Monster has helped it along the way by improving the tatse.
My opinion is that an ED, while being functional, can taste good as well as being not bad for you. I don't believe in the sugar theory to make your drink tatse better due to the ugly raw tatse. I believe in combining raws to neutralize taste and then use sucralose or some other healthier alternative as a sweetner. To consume 26 g of sugar with your ED is counter productive metabolicly. Sure your expending energy from the stimulants but your body is also storing excess sugar as fat. Consequently it takes more ED serving to get your fat a$$ moving as you continue down this path.

SumPoosieCat
12-17-2006, 01:42 PM
You got off point Greg but I am glad you said it. An energy drink has to taste bad for people to believe its an energy drink? That is kinda silly. SumPoosie Cat Energy Drink is one of the best tasting because I took flavors people in mass enjoy and mixed them with real sugar. Its not rocket science... but you have to wonder what some are thinking.

adamkartzai
12-19-2006, 12:31 PM
EQ Energy in orange juice tops my list. Since it's a tablet you can drop it in any drink you want, so it tastes like whatever you want. It's not bad in water, either - tastes kinda like a red bull but a little less sweet.

I do agree that to an extent, people expect energy drinks to taste bad - probably because most do.