PDA

View Full Version : Niacinamide in ED's

Omega3322
10-31-2006, 01:40 PM
Hey all,

I am curious about the above ingredient in energy drinks. I have heard from more then a few people that this is some kind of a narcotic that is illegal over seas. I have also been told by foreigners that this is the reason they buy red bull over here. Is there any truth to this? I can not find any info on the ingredient really. I have seen it is some of the Rockstar drinks and also Redbull. Any info or help would be appreciated.

greg
10-31-2006, 03:03 PM
Nutshell answer:
Niacin is a water-soluble B vitamin – and the common name for two very different compounds: nicotinic acid and niacinamide(you don't really need to know that). Like all B-vitamins, niacin plays a role in many aspects of energy metabolism and nervous system function. Furthermore, Niacin has been shown to provide better circulation and cardiovascular health.
There are many drinks on the market that have Niacin in them. The draw back is that due to increased dosages (in one drink in particular) a niacin intolerance can occur leaving the skin flush or hot feeling as well as having potential liver damage(not a good thing). With that being said I am not recommending you stop use of ED's that contrain Niacin. Just be careful of over dosing. Start off with no more than 250mgs per day for a week and then gradually increasing the levels you take in to about 2000mgs. This will give the body time to acclimate to the niacin and it will be able to better metabolize the higher doses.

Omega3322
11-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Ok,

So this is not a narcotic illegal over seas?

fusion
11-01-2006, 10:18 AM
No, it's a vitamin.

greg
11-01-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Omega3322:
Ok,

So this is not a narcotic illegal over seas? I guess you didn't read the first line of my response????????.......Niacin is a WATER SOLUBLE B VITAMIN.

DudeMan
11-02-2006, 07:45 PM
It's just plain old Vitamin B6. I can't think of a single energy drink that contains quantities of Niacin even close to what Greg mentioned.

Rage and Monster both have 40mg of the stuff. That's pretty much the most you'll find per serving. Rockstar's got 20mg.

Omega3322
11-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks again guys. sorry Greg I must have missed that in your long explanation. LOL

greg
11-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by DudeMan:
It's just plain old Vitamin B6. I can't think of a single energy drink that contains quantities of Niacin even close to what Greg mentioned.

Rage and Monster both have 40mg of the stuff. That's pretty much the most you'll find per serving. Rockstar's got 20mg. Extreme Shock. Drink one bottle and you will swear you have ants crawling around under your skin.