RubberDucky
11-29-2006, 09:58 PM
whats von dutch

Blue Efficacy
11-29-2006, 10:35 PM
A failed 16 oz energy drink made by Rockstar

Rob The SURGE Drinker
11-29-2006, 11:19 PM
oooh, thats a good deal, even for a crap product. i might swing by our local one and see if there is some, might get 1 or 2 cans

Dr. dnL
11-30-2006, 10:02 AM
I saw cases of the Sugar Free Von Dutch at my Big Lots also. It's actually one of the better tasting energy drinks out there.

I instead bought some Dad's Root Beer and 14oz Pepsi cans.

Super Jay
11-30-2006, 06:03 PM
wow a whole case for $6 is dirt cheap, even if it tastes like crap.

David J.
11-30-2006, 07:15 PM
At my local Biglots... it's all sugar free. :(

If it was regular, you bet your ass I'd buy a ton. It was a great great drink.

SumPoosieCat
11-30-2006, 07:31 PM
Huh ? Great Drink ? Not many GREAT drinks go out of business in a year.

Mr Zabe
11-30-2006, 07:45 PM
Now that was funny. smile.gif

fusion
11-30-2006, 07:52 PM
I actually really liked Von Dutch. It tasted a lot better than a lot of energy drinks out there.

Blue Efficacy
11-30-2006, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by David J,:
At my local Biglots... it's all sugar free. :(

If it was regular, you bet your ass I'd buy a ton. It was a great great drink. They were mostly sugar free, I was lucky enough to get the last regular.

Dr. dnL
12-01-2006, 10:02 AM
I think the problem with Von Dutch was it got lost in the shuffle. I saw NO marketing for it. I tried it because I had vaguely heard about the Von Dutch clothing line.

It tasted really good, I wish it had stayed around. And I liked the Sugar Free version.

Red Sox fan
12-01-2006, 11:07 AM
TTB-Von Dutch sold more cases in the year it was around than Sum Poosie has in 3-5 years garaunteed. FACT!

It was a disappointment by Rockstar standards yes, but those standards are very high.

At the same time there are people who own brands on here who would kill for the volume it sold in just 1 year.

DudeMan
12-15-2006, 12:49 AM
So what if Von Dutch sold more cases in 1 year than SP has in 3-5 years. This would be the case for any crappy energy drink benefiting from the Coke/Rockstar distribution system. When you have the best distribution system in the world, you just can't compare yourself to an independant company. Any decent ED distributed by Coke should rank in the top 5 Nielsen ratings in my opinion.

In Canada, all accounts selling Red Bull need to provide at least 6 facings for the regular version. 9 (3 additional facings) for the sugar free. I truly beleive that you can piss in a can and it will sell very well with 9 facings. Same goes with any product benefiting from Coke's distribution system.

SumPoosieCat
12-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Lol... you could not be more right Dudeman!

Red Sox fan... I am not bashing Rockstar but Von Dutch IMO was a bad idea. I am a fan of Rockstar from a packaging stand point. I am not a real fan of the flavors but I love the fact that they give people have options.

Give me the same distribution and I think you would sing a different tune. SP has ALWAYS had one thing going for it .... it sells!

BriGuy20
12-15-2006, 05:22 PM
Quoth the DudeMan:
I truly beleive that you can piss in a can and it will sell very well with 9 facings.I'd have to say that you've found a pretty good description of Red Bull's taste. tongue.gif

cokepa
12-15-2006, 07:43 PM
Coke does have a good distribution system but it takes more than that to sell a product. I can think of many failed drinks that have benefited from Coke's distribution.

Paul's Beverages
12-15-2006, 08:30 PM
Merry Christmas Big Lots!

Thank you.
Jim

BriGuy20
12-15-2006, 10:01 PM
While there isn't a Big Lots close to me (closest one is ~10 miles away), I might run on by and pick a case up.

How many in a case?

turbojames
01-02-2007, 08:27 PM
I think the problem with Von Dutch was that it was a tired brand to be mass marketed. There was a point where celebrities were wearing Von Dutch hats and shirts but this brand was released after the trend was over. It is cooler to be with an up-and-comer than be associated with a has-been. Monster is cross branding with . I don't know what Lost sales are, but I think it was a better choice than Von Dutch because Lost was never super mainstream. I believe that Lost can have more of a Jones Soda effect because Jones has mostly been an under the radar brand for a long time.

I didn't think the Von Dutch flavors were extremely special either.

Red Sox fan
01-02-2007, 11:26 PM
FYI- Lost (the energy drink) is failing. It sells nowhere close to any of "Monster" flavors and be disco'd in many chains and distributors.

Lesson to be learned here. Successful energy drink companies do not need to license out other name brands to be successful. Just come out with line extensions of their successful core brand.

Super Jay
01-02-2007, 11:48 PM
I wouldn't consider Lost to be a failure (or failing) by any means. This brand has been doing 1000 times better than most of the energy drink garbage brands out in the market today.

turbojames
01-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Lost at the least was a better demographic play than Von Dutch (at least from Hansens standpoint) because that is the scene that Monster/Lost hope to thrive in (skate/surf).

But I can totally believe you that Lost is failing. I drink Monster a lot and have never tried Lost. I have never been compelled to. I have had Assault and Khaos but never any Lost products.

On a side note, what do you think of Rhumba?

[ 01-03-2007, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: turbojames ]

greg
01-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by turbojames:
Lost at the least was a better demographic play than Von Dutch (at least from Hansens standpoint) because that is the scene that Monster/Lost hope to thrive in (skate/surf).

But I can totally believe you that Lost is failing. I drink Monster a lot and have never tried Lost. I have never been compelled to. I have had Assault and Khaos but never any Lost products.

On a side note, what do you think of Rhumba? There you have folks......Turbojames has never tried it and never been compelled to try it so it must be failing!!!!

I have never tried nor have I been compelled to try Rockstar so it must be on its way out! tongue.gif

dahojo
01-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Lost does seem to be getting pushed to the side it looks like the AB boys are not interested in it.

deepnenergy
01-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by dahojo:
Lost does seem to be getting pushed to the side it looks like the AB boys are not interested in it. When it's part of an agreement you don't have much choice.....Now let me tell you why you see Eds in Big Lots, $-stores, and on close outs in indy stores.....companies come to a new DSD with a great proposal and close the deal, But there is 4 or 5 pallets of this dust catching brand that don't sell, sometimes because it fades, Like naming a ED after a LA clothing line, or the Manufacture pulled your main selling brand and left the crap of the bunch in your house. Or like most Indy companies do, They think in their GREAT mind that DSD will do wonders if you just drop a few pallets and sit back and watch it roll in....NOT! That's when the company tells the DSD that they would change it out. Then they take it to the local discount store and fire sell it at half price. I do know this, Because I've done it several times.

So, you see it because some competitor or pissed off DSD probably put it there smile.gif

dahojo
01-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Lost was to go to AB first. There seems to be no intrest in it.

turbojames
01-03-2007, 07:44 PM
I wish that Rockstar was on its way out. I'm a HANS shareholder so I have a biased interest in Monster. I do believe they have the strongest line of the big mass distributed EDs out there.

I shouldn't have claimed that LOST was a dud just because I haven't tried it. I read that sales of the brand weren't really meeting expectations.

I partied with a girl over New Years that works at a GNC. She said your Redline was pretty good stuff. I told her that Monster was better :D

Originally posted by greg:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by turbojames:

On a side note, what do you think of Rhumba? There you have folks......Turbojames has never tried it and never been compelled to try it so it must be failing!!!!

I have never tried nor have I been compelled to try Rockstar so it must be on its way out! tongue.gif </font>[/QUOTE]

[ 01-03-2007, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: turbojames ]

Red Sox fan
01-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Speaking of Hansens, I am hearing that the AB relationship is no honeymoom so far.

Monster did not get the bump in Florida they were expecting when they bolted for AB, which is causing for some contentious dicsussions between supplier and distributor. And believe me the top dogs at AB are not necessarily used to getting tongue lashings from suppliers.

To make matters worse many AB distributors are unhappy with Hansens because they gave their core brands (Monster) to a select few AB distributors, but held them back from others and only offered them the slower sku's (Lost/Rumba/Assault).

Everyone thought the AB deal would be all gravy for Hansens. I disagree.

Seemed to me Hansens was doing pretty good and growing with it's old network. Not to mention that AB is not like switching into the pepsi or Coke system. Both these systems know how to sell Non Alch's. At the end of the day AB is a beer company. Big Difference.

SumPoosieCat
01-04-2007, 12:04 AM
Well... I hope it opens things up for us little guys!!! SPC ED may be one of a few alternatives.

greg
01-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Red Sox fan:
Speaking of Hansens, I am hearing that the AB relationship is no honeymoom so far.

Monster did not get the bump in Florida they were expecting when they bolted for AB, which is causing for some contentious dicsussions between supplier and distributor. And believe me the top dogs at AB are not necessarily used to getting tongue lashings from suppliers.

To make matters worse many AB distributors are unhappy with Hansens because they gave their core brands (Monster) to a select few AB distributors, but held them back from others and only offered them the slower sku's (Lost/Rumba/Assault).

Seemed to me Hansens was doing pretty good and growing with it's old network. Not to mention that AB is not like switching into the pepsi or Coke system. Both these systems know how to sell Non Alch's. At the end of the day AB is a beer company. Big Difference. +

I have heard the exact same thing straight from AB guys mouths!!!
However, I disagree about the "at the end of the day the AB is a beer company" statement. AB has realized, or rather their distributors have realized that they must concentrate on new brands outside of the Alcohol brands they carry. Look at most AB distributors today, most of them are old distributors that have been servicing the same territory for years and years and have pretty much covered their market. They have nowhere to go and consequently their sales are flat. That is why most of them are looking for new NA brands to help maintain growth and continue profitability. They are setting up parallel companies to move into specialty stores, gyms, nutrition stores, etc. In order to maintain growth new products must be added so the company will florish.
Now to another thought. It was my experience in 3 major markets working on the front lines that AB guys always got paid first when deliveries showed up. I had my drivers turned away from C-stores because the "Bud" guy hadn't shown up yet. AB Distributors can use their strong brand to leverage new sales of new products in all of their stores and to some extent On premise. They have the power in my opinion. Much better off than Coke or Pepsi when it comes to building a NA brand. With Coke or Pepsi you run the risk of your brand getting lost in their HUGE portfolio. I have seen it many times, COKE brings on a new product and advertises the hell out of it for one to two periods and then nothing. It fades away.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to have CCE or PBG, Pepsi Americas, etc pick up my brand for the shear growth potential! But the manufacture must also realize that once this happens the work has just begun.

SumPoosieCat
01-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Coke and Pepsi have the highest failure rate of any companies for new products. Seems strange that such successful companies over the years have such poor records for new products.

deepnenergy
01-04-2007, 11:34 AM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Red Sox fan:

Seemed to me Hansens was doing pretty good and growing with it's old network. Not to mention that AB is not like switching into the pepsi or Coke system. Both these systems know how to sell Non Alch's. At the end of the day AB is a beer company. Big Difference. +

I have heard the exact same thing straight from AB guys mouths!!!
However, I disagree about the "at the end of the day the AB is a beer company" statement. AB has realized, or rather their distributors have realized that they must concentrate on new brands outside of the Alcohol brands they carry. Look at most AB distributors today, most of them are old distributors that have been servicing the same territory for years and years and have pretty much covered their market. They have nowhere to go and consequently their sales are flat. That is why most of them are looking for new NA brands to help maintain growth and continue profitability. They are setting up parallel companies to move into specialty stores, gyms, nutrition stores, etc. In order to maintain growth new products must be added so the company will florish.
Now to another thought. It was my experience in 3 major markets working on the front lines that AB guys always got paid first when deliveries showed up. I had my drivers turned away from C-stores because the "Bud" guy hadn't shown up yet. AB Distributors can use their strong brand to leverage new sales of new products in all of their stores and to some extent On premise. They have the power in my opinion. Much better off than Coke or Pepsi when it comes to building a NA brand. With Coke or Pepsi you run the risk of your brand getting lost in their HUGE portfolio. I have seen it many times, COKE brings on a new product and advertises the hell out of it for one to two periods and then nothing. It fades away.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to have CCE or PBG, Pepsi Americas, etc pick up my brand for the shear growth potential! But the manufacture must also realize that once this happens the work has just begun. </font>[/QUOTE]Amen to that!

Red Sox fan
01-04-2007, 02:33 PM
If bud has the potential to be so powerful on the non-alch side, how come 180 failed MISERABLY (on and off premise)?

Red Sox fan
01-04-2007, 02:46 PM
wait, I answered my own question. 180 failed for the same reason KMX did, just a bad product.

deepnenergy
01-04-2007, 03:30 PM
wait, I answered my own question. 180 failed for the same reason KMX did, just a bad product. Most drivers/sales AB, Miller, and even indy DSD police their route. That's why hard working Independent ED companies do better with the DSD then when the do their own brand. Now if AB would of had sales guys working only 180 sales it might have stuck around a little longer. See, again it comes to support. When a indy brand launches a brand (if they work it) they become something if not they don't. sales/ drivers have to big of routes to spend 20min per store to sale in new items, they have a life too, wife, kids. "I don't want to get home at 8pm or not make my time for all my daily stores, when i have 50 products to stock, turn, and replace".

It's not that 180 failed, AB did with how they handled it. Monster should be helping to create N/A divisions with AB to handle that, Plus each AB have been given brand managers and that folks is how you build...

greg
01-04-2007, 03:43 PM
wait, I answered my own question. 180 failed for the same reason KMX did, just a bad product. Thank You! You answered it for me! LOL

greg
01-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by deepnenergy:
wait, I answered my own question. 180 failed for the same reason KMX did, just a bad product. Most drivers/sales AB, Miller, and even indy DSD police their route. That's why hard working Independent ED companies do better with the DSD then when the do their own brand. Now if AB would of had sales guys working only 180 sales it might have stuck around a little longer. See, again it comes to support. When a indy brand launches a brand (if they work it) they become something if not they don't. sales/ drivers have to big of routes to spend 20min per store to sale in new items, they have a life too, wife, kids. "I don't want to get home at 8pm or not make my time for all my daily stores, when i have 50 products to stock, turn, and replace".

It's not that 180 failed, AB did with how they handled it. Monster should be helping to create N/A divisions with AB to handle that, Plus each AB have been given brand managers and that folks is how you build... </font>[/QUOTE]I hear what you are saying but it doesn't matter how many brand managers you have, how many degrees they have, how many years experience they have, how many contacts they have, etc, etc, If the product SUX it will not sell to the consumer period! That is why 180 failed. It sucked. It tasted OK if you are used to drinking energy drinks but it had little to no effect on energy and it not give the consumer a reason to switch brands, even when AB was practically giving it away!

deepnenergy
01-04-2007, 05:24 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by deepnenergy:

It's not that 180 failed, AB did with how they handled it. Monster should be helping to create N/A divisions with AB to handle that, Plus each AB have been given brand managers and that folks is how you build... </font>[/QUOTE]I hear what you are saying but it doesn't matter how many brand managers you have, how many degrees they have, how many years experience they have, how many contacts they have, etc, etc, If the product SUX it will not sell to the consumer period! That is why 180 failed. It sucked. It tasted OK if you are used to drinking energy drinks but it had little to no effect on energy and it not give the consumer a reason to switch brands, even when AB was practically giving it away! </font>[/QUOTE]Now Greg, If you read all what I wrote you will see I said a LITTLE Longer, I know it sucked but so does a lot of drinks out there. I was trying to show WHY a lot of drinks fall off the mark. Not like you, most do not support like they say they will and when some companies have a in house brand a lot of the time it won't get the support it needs to pull through.

greg
01-04-2007, 05:41 PM
OK My bad..I re-read what you said and It finally clicked. Gotcha.

deepnenergy
01-04-2007, 06:20 PM
OK My bad..I re-read what you said and It finally clicked. Gotcha. See, we can all agree......LOL
I figured you would if you gave it another read. I just am trying to warn PPL on what to do so I or you won't come along and replace them in 07.....See, not only honest but helpful too. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

turbojames
01-10-2007, 11:07 PM
I bought a case too. The Big Lots I went to had probably 100 cases.

turbojames
01-27-2007, 03:02 AM

I have never tried nor have I been compelled to try Rockstar so it must be on its way out! tongue.gif </font>[/QUOTE]Monster will own Red Bull and Rockstar.

deepnenergy
01-27-2007, 07:48 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by greg:

I have never tried nor have I been compelled to try Rockstar so it must be on its way out! tongue.gif </font>[/QUOTE]Monster will own Red Bull and Rockstar. </font>[/QUOTE]LOL, I don't think so..... Let me tell you something, yes monster will be a large brand in the ED market as like coke or Pepsi but will never own RB or RS. Coke will own RS if anyone and RB will loose market share as the market demand changes or increase their line to meet the demand and loose less share.

Now also think, Why couldn't a brand like Redline, Kronik, or another up and coming brand take monsters share or some of it??? Monster & Rock star have proven it can be done.

turbojames
01-27-2007, 09:14 PM
I didn't mean "own" in the sense of "buying out". I meant that Monster will be the #1 energy drink company in America in sales.

upinarms
01-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Von Dutch was OK. But I'm sick of ANY company out there trying to make a buck by slapping their name on a drink. Whats next? Listerine Energy Drink?

I actually like Rumba, its easy on your stomach and tastes very much like OJ, just with some other fruits in it. I hope it suceeds, its a good original product. More so than Von Dutch.

deepnenergy
01-29-2007, 03:48 PM
I didn't mean "own" in the sense of "buying out". I meant that Monster will be the #1 energy drink company in America in sales. Now ask your self, will America ever stop looking for the next bigger and better thing? IMO most of today's ED are typically the same out side small change like taste. With today's technology a new brand will come out and really build better then the rest, just like Monster is doing to RB. YES, they will have their time but it will be just a time as we all do.... smile.gif

greg
01-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by deepnenergy:
I didn't mean "own" in the sense of "buying out". I meant that Monster will be the #1 energy drink company in America in sales. Now ask your self, will America ever stop looking for the next bigger and better thing? IMO most of today's ED are typically the same out side small change like taste. With today's technology a new brand will come out and really build better then the rest, just like Monster is doing to RB. YES, they will have their time but it will be just a time as we all do.... smile.gif </font>[/QUOTE]Sounds like REDLINE...Better ingredients, better technology, a HUGE rush in a smaller package, etc, etc,
tongue.gif :D smile.gif

deepnenergy
01-29-2007, 05:48 PM
shamless plug, LOL

you go greg

juniorjin
02-03-2007, 11:41 PM
Von Dutch was such a horrible idea because it was introduced two years too late.
Von Dutch was one of those brands that blew through the stratosphere in 2003, and died quickly in 2004. Von Dutch was not a brand that had too many legs and it was too little too late. It was destined to fail. Who wants to carry a drink where the brand is irrelevant today?

turbojames
02-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by juniorjin:
Von Dutch was such a horrible idea because it was introduced two years too late.
Von Dutch was one of those brands that blew through the stratosphere in 2003, and died quickly in 2004. Von Dutch was not a brand that had too many legs and it was too little too late. It was destined to fail. Who wants to carry a drink where the brand is irrelevant today? Exactly. Von Dutch was on the shelves when the mass consumer didn't care about Von Dutch anymore.