PDA

View Full Version : Xyilitol

Drew
02-23-2007, 08:09 AM
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on this sweetener. It is 100% naturally occuring and sweetens better than aspartame or splenda. Only side affect it has is that it's a sugar alcohol so too much may cause a laxative effect(after a few days of usage your body would adjust). I think properly used it can be the best alternerative to sugar without the detrimental effect on blood sugar levels and high calorie cost of regular sugar.

greg
02-24-2007, 11:12 AM
The laxative effect is a tough one to get over. In my industry many comapnies use the -tol family sweetners in their Protein Bars. This can also cause cramping type effects as well as "bunging" feelings if the intestines are empty( as empty as can be, they are rarely ever completely empty).
To my knowledge I have nevcer had a drink with that type of sweetner so I can not attest to how it would be in a beverage.

illusionh20
04-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Xylitol is a naturally occuring substance found in fibrous vegetables and fruit, as well as in corn cobs and various hardwood trees like birch. It is a natural, intermediate product which regularly occurs in the glucose metabolism of humans and animals, as well as in the metabolism of several plants and micro-organisms. Xylitol is produced naturally in our bodies; in fact, we make up to 15 grams daily during normal metabolism. Xylitol may sound like a chemical, it is absolutely not.

Wort Organic™ : Herbal Calming in a range of deliciously refreshing certified organic soft drinks. (http://www.wortorganic.com/varieties.html)