PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive Marketing For Energy Drinks

Daredevil
03-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Hi Experts,

You have seen me on this board before as I do marketing for Daredevil Energy Drink. I keep hearing the term..."aggressive marketing" when referring to really getting an energy drink to move. I am quite familiar with unique and standard industry marketing plans, but I am wondering if I am missing the boat on the aggressive plan? Does this mean investing a great deal of money into getting mass exposure? Can the drink experts on this board please give me an idea of what independents do in the form of aggressive marketing? Please don't list things such as:

Gorilla Marketing
Sponsorships
Sampling/Give-Aways
Radio
Web Adds
Special Events

These are things that I am told are standard and not considered aggressive. I appreciate your help in advance!

Lauren@Daredevil

DudeMan
03-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Monster had a contest to see how many Monsters you could chug before you puke....that's pretty agressive LOL

Daredevil
03-12-2007, 02:01 AM
Love it...LOL! Don't we all wish it was just that easy!!!

Ron Swedelson
03-12-2007, 09:59 AM
I did that on the radio here in San Francisco. Well, it wasnt a contest. While on the morning radio show, I was able to speak about Jones Soda Companys Whoop Ass Energy Drink. The morning show brought in one of their side kicks, who also happens to be mentaly retarded. They had me feed him drink after drink. I think after downing 6 Whoop Ass Energy Drinks, the guy finally puked them up.

SumPoosieCat
03-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Marketing should leave a positive message. People throwing up your product is not a good idea. It is also dangerous.

Try this instead.... promote a video contest on youtube... the best video wins 500 bucks cash and a year supply of the ED.

Be original.

AllProDist
03-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Lauren-You guys are doing the right thing. I know you are focusing on Orange County and the outlying areas. You guys are running some good deals that get the product in the hands of the end user. Get the attention of the store owner/manager....make sure that they are making money, then get the attention of the consumer. Remember, You are not getting new users, you are taking away some other brand's customer. Buy 1 get 1, 2 for $3.00 etc...these type of programs get end users buying your drink.
Make sure to get ROI (Return on Investment) If you are doing a "buy 1 get 1 free" make sure the store manager is going to give you at least 4 to 6 slots at eye level. Use POS! Make a deal with the store to get your name plasterd all over. If you give him free cases-always get something in return. Use Posters, Window clings, Suc Cup racks etc..
Daredevil is a really great product...now you need to get it in the hands of the end users, so they can see for themselves!

cain
03-13-2007, 01:16 PM
I don't know if you guys know but in New York some radio show had a similar contest, not with ED but with water and some woman died from drinking too much water. The guys on the radio got fired and the radio station is being sued. Be careful- the last thing this industry needs is someone dying from too much ED

deepnenergy
03-13-2007, 02:35 PM
I don't know if you guys know but in New York some radio show had a similar contest, not with ED but with water and some woman died from drinking too much water. The guys on the radio got fired and the radio station is being sued. Be careful- the last thing this industry needs is someone dying from too much ED

I second that....I heard it from a friend that works at a local station here in Phoenix, they used to do Jackass stuff for prizes but after that, it all stopped. I think clear channel will not allow it anymore at all, anywhere.

Ron Swedelson
03-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Unless the same thing recently happened in New York, that just happened here in Sacramento. Some young mother was trying to win a Nintendo Wii for her two kids, and dided from drinking too much water. Even when she complained to them that she was in pain, they said dont worry about it.

the saint
03-14-2007, 03:01 PM
Unless the same thing recently happened in New York, that just happened here in Sacramento. Some young mother was trying to win a Nintendo Wii for her two kids, and dided from drinking too much water. Even when she complained to them that she was in pain, they said dont worry about it.

This one I have heard, I wasn't sure which town it was in so I didn't speak up earlier in the thread. I just remembered that it was in Ca. somewhere and it was for a nintendo. I heard it about a month ago give or take 2 weeks.

Daredevil
03-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Wow...I hope the radio station and water company have a large insurance policy. We are trying to stay away from overly risky behavior. With a name like "Daredevil ED" we have to be careful what we ask our consumers to do. Most are ready to show us what they've got at the drop of a hat. The name has sparked interest in the reckless natured crowd. We want to be considered main stream even though we have 240 mgs of caffeine per 16 oz. We are not looking to be a part of the new extreme energy category any time soon. We like the live on the edge mentality...not the jump off the edge mentality. LOL Any way...I think I understand the concept you all have tried to explain. It seems to be understood as creative marketing minus serious risk. Thanks!

climaxenergydrink
03-14-2007, 09:57 PM
DD..i happen to think you have an interesting product and target market..but with 240mgs of caffeine you are borderline ...extreme ed status for this category not sports nutrition !!

I was actually curious if you have a warning label that describes how much caffeine per 16oz serving to a perspective consumer !! it is understandable if you don't, because there are others RS to name 1 off the top of my head that don't either !! If you don't, i believe in the near future you will have to produce a label with it !!

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PRODUCT & TARGET MARKET...IT IS COOL 2 SEE A DIFFERENT PRODUCT OUT THAT HAS NO READING INTO THE MIND TYPE OF MESSAGE !! WITH DAREDEVIL YOU KNOW WHO THE PRODUCT IS INTENDED FOR !!!

i like to see how many cases you sell after the warning label with the caffeine consumption is placed on the product ?

Do you think it will ultimately hurt your sales in the end ?
**I AM HOPING NOT for you...but likely it will because now ofcourse the consumer will be educated in what he or she is about to consume...AT THAT POINT IT LEAVES THE POWER & DECISION 2 THE CONSUMER !! before it was let me try a DD it sounds cool and all..but now its like wow it has 240mgs of caffeine and i had a ed before...i don't know if i should drink this now ...maybe later perhaps !!! actually i have a long ride ahead of me & thereafter i am going to GET DROPPED OUT OF AN AIRPLANE AND LAND IN A POOL OF RED BULL ...i think before the drop i'll have a DD!!

CLIMAX
Lenny

Daredevil
03-15-2007, 12:01 AM
The Daredevil Energy warning reads:

Consume responsibly - Limit 3 cans per day. Not recommended for children, pregnant women or people sensitive to caffeine.

We also state that each can contains 2 servings. Each serving contains 120 mgs. of caffeine.

climaxenergydrink
03-15-2007, 12:27 PM
The Daredevil Energy warning reads:

Consume responsibly - Limit 3 cans per day. Not recommended for children, pregnant women or people sensitive to caffeine.

We also state that each can contains 2 servings. Each serving contains 120 mgs. of caffeine.

DD... you realize that is 240@3=720mg of caffeine - if they did go that route !!

heres the question...If you have a daughter or son 19-28 we will say, WOULD YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH YOUR DAUGHTER/SON SAYING MOM I JUST PICKED UP 3 DD'S I AM GOING TO CONSUME 1- BREAKFAST, 2-LUNCH, 3-DINNER IS THAT OK ?

i understand that you are somewhat indemnifying DD for the mention of "CONSUME RESPONSIBILY" but you are still saying to the consumer THAT IS OK TO DRINK 3 .. !! even though i stress the POWER IS IN THE CONSUMERS HAND !!

IF YOU SAID LIMIT 1 CAN PER DAY (240MG CAFFEINE) THAN I WOULD AGREE !! because you know who's drink is 250mg Caffeine & does state (limit 1 can per day-consume 1/2 of the bottle first) so i just want you to know i am comparing it to a sports nutrition drink WHICH I KNOW DAREDEVIL IS NOT !!

Any educated young human being would understand that this is alot of caffeine to consume in one day & the sugar.wow !!!..now you are in THE EXTREME CATEGORY !! ESSENTIALLY THATS EQUALLED 2 - (9) RED-BULLS !! THATS DANGEROUS !!!

CLIMAX
L

greg
03-15-2007, 03:04 PM
i like to see how many cases you sell after the warning label with the caffeine consumption is placed on the product ?

Do you think it will ultimately hurt your sales in the end ?
**I AM HOPING NOT for you...but likely it will because now ofcourse the consumer will be educated in what he or she is about to consume...CLIMAX
Lenny

I think that disclosing the amount of caffeine in a drink will actually help sales for most ED's. Consumers who are drinking ED's may make decisions on what to buy based on the time of consumption but in the end it will balance out. i.e. Morning High caffeine, late afternoon lower amount.

I remember when ICE beers came out with the standard 5.5% alcohol volume many people based their decision on that alone because of less consumption for the same desired effect.

The weak brands may well be pushed to the side because now the mind will have a definitve number to go by when judging one brand against the next. i.e. Brand A has 75mgs and brand B has 100mgs. The consumer although they like brand A will buy brand B for the quantatative measurement of 25mgs more per can. That to me is a direct reflection of the ED consumer....more is better for most.(not all)

climaxenergydrink
03-15-2007, 03:51 PM
well said greg!

Q: how about mentioning limit 3 cans per day ?
i know u wouldn't fathom to go there !! 750mg caffeine per your product !! am i wrong ? It sounds like that could be irresponsibile !! ** you are essentially telling the consumer your limit to my product is 3 cans...so don't consume 4 or else you will be in trouble !! THE REDLINE POLICE WILL COME TO GET YOU !! I HEAR THE SIRENS FROM NEW YORK !! HAHAHAHAHA !!!

**but i am looking forward to what DD (Lauren) has to say !!

CLIMAX
Lenny

greg
03-15-2007, 04:15 PM
Recommended Use: Shake well prior to use. Always begin use with one-half can(4oz) of REDLINE to asses tolerance.Never excedd one can daily.Do not consume REDLINE on an empty stomach. Consuming REDLINE on an empty stomach may cause nauseousness.

We say one can.
Furthermore, On 2 places on the bottle we have: POTENT:Read Label Before drinking. Contains 2 servings.

Then of course we have the blocked off warning label.

So ,We sugest a limit plus give fair warning of the potency and potential side effect.

climaxenergydrink
03-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Recommended Use: Shake well prior to use. Always begin use with one-half can(4oz) of REDLINE to asses tolerance.Never excedd one can daily.Do not consume REDLINE on an empty stomach. Consuming REDLINE on an empty stomach may cause nauseousneous

We say one can.
Furthermore, On 2 places on the bottle we have: POTENT:Read Label Before drinking. Contains 2 servings.

Then of course we have the blocked off warning label.

So ,We sugest a limit plus give fair warning of the potency and potential side effect.

....greg i know about REDLINE ..i am talking about Daredevil..Lauren mentioning - there is 2 servings - 120mg of caffeine per serving = 240 mg of caffeine per 16oz can of Daredevil product !!! THAN SHE SAYS THAT IT SAYS ON THE LABEL - LIMIT 3 CANS PER DAY !! ONCE AGAIN YOU ARE TELLING THE CONSUMER THAT YOU CAN HAVE UP TO 3 CANS PER DAY OF 240@3=720MG OF CAFFEINE !!! THATS ALOT OF CAFFEINE IN 1 DAY !!

YES, i know you don't have a gun to the persons (consumers) head but it is like telling an alcoholic "drink responsibily" only 3 cans and than you get to go home !! speaking of which DAREDEVIL DOES SOMEWHAT INDEMNIFY THEMSELVES by mentioning "consume responsibily" or something to that nature BUT ISN'T IT IRRESPONSIBILE OF A COMPANY 2 PUT - LIMIT 3 CANS PER DAY IS THE QUESTION !!!

ok ! i worked the mind out all day (BEVNET & other business) !! now it's time for the body-training time !! I have to work off that REDLINE I HAD BEFORE I DID MY ROUTE 6AM-11AM THIS MORN-40k of Garbage !! and let me tell you i needed RL THIS MORNING...i hear apple & cherry calling my name !! hahahahaha !!

CLIMAX
L

Daredevil
03-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Hay Guys,

Let me start off by saying that the topic in which this thread has evolved was not my initial request for discussion. The term "aggressive marketing" was my topic, and the controversial "extreme drink" discussion is where it evolved. Additionally, I am not a doctor, nor do I have any education behind how much caffeine any such person, at any age or size can consume. I would imagine it would be different based on the weight, height etc...much like alcohol. I would guess that just like any substance...when not used with care...it can harm you. If you eat fatty foods, you put your body at risk for heart attack/ cholesterol problems. If you smoke or are around smoke, you put your body at risk for cancer. If you drink alcohol, you must make responsible choices such as not driving a car etc... I stand behind Daredevil because we are NOT hiding anything! Many companies do not list the amount of caffeine that they put in the drink blend. This doesn't even give the consumer the option to understand just how much caffeine is going into the body. In my opinion that lack of information is scary. I enjoy being able to read ingredient labels and having the choice of weather or not I want to put the ingredients in my body. It seems that the unresolved question is how much caffeine is to much, and do we put a cap on the quantity consumed? I can very honestly tell you I am NOT the one to answer that question. This is not my area of expertise. If you want me to plan a blow out event, or network your business I will gladly give you a list of concepts and creative choices. (for a fee...LOL) In addition I am exceptional in target marketing and creative concepts. I know that these topics lack controversiality, but they are what I know best. My initial goal for this thread was to find out if I was lacking information on aggressive energy drink marketing. I am pleased because despite the transition to extreme drinks, I was able to get the information I was requesting. Have a great day...It's sunny and beautiful here in California! It looks like Summer!!

climaxenergydrink
03-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Lauren & DD ... i can respect that you want to avoid answering the question for DD company reasons !!
BUT WHO IN THERE RIGHT MIND WOULD EVER FATHOM TO GIVE AN OPTION TO A CONSUMER THAT COULD BE DANGEROUS 720mg of caffeine you are essentially telling a perspective consumer that it is ok to consume !! i do have my own opinion and i will ofcourse voice it & what you do with yours is totally up to you !! So i suggest that you and DD go back to the drawing board of WARNING LABELS & PUT "LIMIT 1 CAN A DAY or possibly 1 and a half or maybe even 2 but 3 !!! " !! SO YOU ARE IN SAFE MODE WITH YOUR PRODUCT....under 500MG of caffeine because we know what i personally consume is in the 300's & we wouldn't want muah to contradict himself !!

****I do have to mention that i do respect you offering the information and not hiding the content for a consumer..to ofcourse let them know WHAT THEY ARE ACTUALLY GETTING THEMSELVES INTO !!!

GOOD LUCK WITH THE PRODUCT .. i actually like the artwork, the target market & in no shape or form is this an personal attack on you Lauren...JUST LIKE Donald Trump SAYS ...IT'S BUSINESS !!!

**oh by the way your not the only one that is good at avoiding "the question" and flipping it around and talking about your product and the advantages of your services...DT is the king !!

CLIMAX
Lenny

illusionh20
04-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Hi Experts,

You have seen me on this board before as I do marketing for Daredevil Energy Drink. I keep hearing the term..."aggressive marketing" when referring to really getting an energy drink to move. I am quite familiar with unique and standard industry marketing plans, but I am wondering if I am missing the boat on the aggressive plan? Does this mean investing a great deal of money into getting mass exposure? Can the drink experts on this board please give me an idea of what independents do in the form of aggressive marketing? Please don't list things such as:

Gorilla Marketing
Sponsorships
Sampling/Give-Aways
Radio
Web Adds
Special Events

These are things that I am told are standard and not considered aggressive. I appreciate your help in advance!

Lauren@Daredevil

How about Social Networking.

Does it work?

greg
04-14-2007, 09:27 AM
How about Social Networking.

Does it work?

Social Netwroking does work, however, unlike the benefit of tv/radio where you pick up additional demographics the social networking is very pinpointed. After all, most people hang out with like people. Furthermore, Social Networking is almost like a grass roots effort. Word of mouthg is great but if you do not have the resources(free product, money, feet on the street) to sustain it it can die an early death.
The My Space thing is a great idea but I would not solely rely on that as my vehicle of choice for advertisment, unless that is all I could afford.
I also want to point out that many ED companies out there of great drinks but fall victim to letting themselves get into a comfort zone with their marketing. I have said this many times before: Beverages are a volume based business! To create a successful brand you must continue to seek new avenues to get your brand noticed.
I see ED's out there with names like Skaterade, how far away from the kids at the skate park do you really think this drink is going to go?

Soda-MN-Good
04-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Do do you you have have a a problem problem with with duplicate duplicate posts posts?

I've never heard of A.C.T...Then again, I don't drink energy drinks unless they're in glass bottles. That limits me to Jolt and Bawls mostly, oh yes, and the Knetic brand from England.

I know there's others, but XTZ, Hi Ball, XO, Upshot and others aren't available around here or cost too darn much.

greg
04-26-2007, 12:23 AM
I would say, thru experience the best marketing method is networking
You can go global. Right now I have my energy drink - A.C.T. Energy Drink
Have you heard of this Energy Drink ? It was introduced only last June 2005 and it is already in 10 countries, and sold 12,000,000 units worldwide
- If you want to more information about A.C.T. Energy Drink, please email me

I was trying ot find A.C.T. in the local 7-11 and couldn't find it. I then went to AM /PM and it wasn't there either. I thought maybe it was in Circle K, Nothing.So I tried my Mom And Pop store, but no luck, I tried the grocery store- Nope! I tried everywhere all over the US but couldn't find it! Where can I find A.C.T.? PLease don't tell me to go to your website and sign up as a dealer and then I can have all the A.C.T. I want!

Daredevil
05-05-2007, 07:39 PM
What is an independent to do in this crazy "big boys" market? Get creative...and network the heck out of your brand!!!

See the press released below by E Media Wire...

GBK Productions Partners Up with STOLI on the Grand Opening of Its Iconic Hotel

GBK Productions created another spectacular gift to entice the Celebrities while they danced the night away to DJ Danny Masterson.

Hollywood, CA (PRWEB) May 5, 2007 -- The Opening Night of the Stoli Hotel, Inspired by the Hotel Moskva, the iconic hotel on Stoli's bottle label, was a great success. It was overwhelming how many people were lining outside the doors to get into this beautifully created hotel. Celebrities like Paris Hilton, the ***** Cat Dolls, Adam Brody, Gavin DeGraw, James Blunt, and many other danced the night away to DJ Mom Jeans/Danny Masterson and DJ Steve Aoki/Kid Millionaire.

No Party is complete without a gift suite, so Stoli partnered up with the reputable GBK Productions who created an exclusive suite for the celebs to hang out and be gifted a myriad of items. They had the luxury of chilling out on Robert Craymer's eco furniture, as they sipped DareDevil Energy Drinks and ate the savory food from Sky's Gourmet Tacos, which everyone went crazy about. Just in case the celebs didn't have enough of this that evening, a "SKY'S UNLIMITED" card was given to them to enjoy this fine cuisine anytime they want throughout the year and Dare Devil offered to deliver cases of their fantastic energy drinks to them at home on a monthly basis… Many of the celebs went crazy about Power Crunch bars being given away too. Gavin Keilly, President of GBK heard them saying, "this is tastiest healthy bar I have ever had."

this is tastiest healthy bar I have ever had.
As most suites have a majority of women's products, there was a great mix for both sexes at this suite. The guests received their choice of a Surf Board, body board or skin board from renowned RebelBoards, 10 Hours of amazing Concierge Service from Dream Weaver Concierge. They added to their cool wardrobe with Hoodies & Outergear from Punkin & Sweetie, an extremely Hip T-Shirt from RAK, a cool Fluffy Joes Women's Tee, a slick Beanie with built in head phones from Tooks International, Issac Mizrahi Women's shoes and gorgeous jewelry from "Understated Designs." They also have to look good, so LaserAway gave them certificates to grab any of their many treatments they offer, Barbar gave them one of their highest end blow-dryers, Malibeauty helped them keep their skin looking young and beautiful with their fantastic products and "Sumbody" kept them smelling clean with the high-end bath salts & soaps they offered…

For those that had kids, nieces, or nephews, they had something to take home to them too. Baby Rab had an assortment of very cool gear, including jackets and bibs. Rusty Bumber also provided the most adorable Onezee's & and t-shirts for the toddlers they had a home.

Last, but certainly not least, all the celebrities that walked through this amazing suite received a trip to one of 500 places in the world for up to 3 months. Yes, all expenses will be covered; however this was not your typical trip. I-to-I Meaningful Travel is providing the celebs an opportunity to have fun, see the world, and give back in the process. It is definitely a "feel-good" trip.

Other amenities include onsite manicures, pedicures, and other spa services by Green Bliss Eco Spa.

# # #

NRGSLLR@
06-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Your best bet is to find a LARGE distributor that can offer a base of 6,000-10,000 retail customers that will fit the market demographic for your brand. If it is health and wellness then look into a distributor that is keenly familiar with GNC and Vitamin Shoppe, if it is sugar caffenine and taurine,then look into a DSD distribution system that can market your brand to a large number of C stores and bodegas.

Do not invest in C store distribution companies, they do not SELL. The distribute.

Work DSD. Create incentives for the sales guys, do ride alongs, buy donuts for the morning meeting and beer and pizza when the day is over.

You will sell alot of product if you work with your distributors. Don't just sell your product in and HOPE the distributor does all the work for you.

greg
06-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Lauren,
Start buying the industry periodicals. They have tons of useful information, as well as some un usefull stuff. At any rate, be prepared to do whatever it takes. Got to tradeshows and pimp your brand hard. You will have to give the distributors and the consumersd a reason to try your drink.

Coco Rico
06-05-2007, 06:03 PM
Greg,

I agree with your statement. Be prepared to put everything you have towards it. However, with one small differentiation... just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Make sure you have truely thought out what your brand identity is, what it stands for, and how you want it represented. Then make sure you do everything you can to reflect that and to protect it.

CR