PDA

View Full Version : Coke considering dropping HFCS?

videoman
03-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Coke scared by climbing corn syrup prices - Mar. 12, 2007 (http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/12/news/companies/coke.reut/index.htm?postversion=2007031213)

In short, corn syrup prices are rising and Coke is looking into other alternatives.

CHICAGO (Reuters) -- Coca-Cola may investigate alternatives to high fructose corn syrup, its main sweetener in the U.S. market, because of high corn prices, a company executive said Monday.

Young also said he would not be surprised if Coca-Cola was looking at switching to different sweeteners. However he said he did not have enough information to say whether this could involve a move to sugar or Splenda from corn syrup.

The potential return of cane sugar? Dare we dream it?

iowacity
03-13-2007, 12:39 AM
Young also said he would not be surprised if Coca-Cola was looking at switching to different sweeteners. However he said he did not have enough information to say whether this could involve a move to sugar or Splenda from corn syrup

Splenda?

Let's hope it's cane sugar!

mjb1124
03-13-2007, 01:18 AM
Splenda?

They'd have to be out of their minds if they seriously considered that.

Let's hope it's cane sugar!

My hopes aren't that high, but it's nice to think about.

01GTB
03-13-2007, 02:14 AM
You can dream, but I do not believe there is any way sugar will be HFCS's replacement. HFCS may be increasing in price at alarming rates, but still sugar is even higher. The soft drink companies have 25 years invested in HFCS.

I think there may also be one more dirty little secret. HFCS may have increased soft drink consumption. I'm not suggesting that it is addictive itself. But I do believe it leaves the drinker wanting more from not feeling full. If so, replacing it could be a huge financial mistake.

SamC
03-13-2007, 07:32 AM
The whole deal is a function of simple economics. The idea is that energy policy is going to create a demand for alcohol made from corn, for motor fuel use, thus raising the price of other corn based products.

That this might cause a switch to sugar has two problems. One is that you can make alcohol from sugar as well. In fact sugar is a better source of alcohol than corn is. So any spike in alcohol demand is going to suck more refined white sugar from the market than it is corn. The other is that as soon as demand for oil goes down, the price will go down, too. Which means if alcohol as a motor fuel (E-85) actually works, absent some monkeying with the free market via extreme tax breaks, it won't work because oil will drop and the cycle will restart.

ColaFan
03-13-2007, 11:30 AM
My understanding is that sugar prices rose first. Once sugar prices rose, then the HFCS people rose their prices. HFCS is almost always on par with sugar... a little less in cost, but the differential is always pretty close. Biofuels have not had a impact on HFCS. It's the fact that sugar prices rose that enabled the HFCS folks to raise their prices.

popologist
03-13-2007, 12:51 PM
maybe if castro dies and we start trading with cuba again, then... maybe they'll switch to real sugar.

01GTB
03-13-2007, 05:10 PM
The corn lobby is too strong for even that to help. The is nothing free-market about it.

US sugar - Tariffs and quotas to keep price artficially high

HFCS - Derived from subsidized corn. So the price is in fact, artificially low.

jericho
03-13-2007, 06:45 PM
"The new syrup formulations, which Young said will start rolling out in 2007 and be adopted more widely in 2008 and 2009, would make soft drinks at a ratio of one part syrup to seven to eight parts water. Most current formulations yield one part syrup to five or 5.5 parts water, he said."

Does this mean that Coke would be watered down? I'm wondering what the taste ramifications on this syrup "reformulation" are going to be. It sounds like a lot more drastic taste difference than just a change in sweetener.

01GTB
03-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Right now there is roughly two pounds of HFCS (HFCS-55, I believe) in 288 fl oz of Coke. That's a case of cans. Sucralose is many, many times sweeter than any HFCS or sucrose. Reducing the syrup ratio sounds a whole lot like it might be a Sucralose-HFCS concoction. Or maybe HFCS-90.

Mr Zabe
03-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Have not the suits of Coca Cola learned from past history?

The raft from unhappy Coke Drinkers (HFCS) will surpass the
Coke II melt down.:( Messing with the syrup (other than sugar cane) could be like a nuclear melt down.

01GTB
03-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Have some Coke bottlers overseas tried a Sucralose-Sucrose mix? Seems like I remember someone posting that here.

popologist
03-13-2007, 11:24 PM
i find it hard to believe that coke is going to turn into c2...

Mana211
03-13-2007, 11:57 PM
i find it hard to believe that coke is going to turn into c2...

Wouldn't hurt my feelings any :D

sucrose
03-24-2007, 11:38 PM
as noted in the passover 2007 thread today I discovered that the "CD" plant (Cleveland Ohio) has been using Sucrose instead of HFCS, and labeling the product accordingly, for at least two months. I'm unsure if this plant is part of a test market or what?

Found this in four stores, in 12oz cans by the 6pk, fridge pack, and case, in 16.9, 20oz, 24oz, and 2L plastic bottles, and in 10oz short Glass bottles (the holy grail!). This seems to apply to Coke/Cherry but not to Sprite or Canada Dry made at the same facility.

I'm now on a sugar high and my car is bogged down with lots of real sugar coca cola, plus some of the passover product.

01GTB
03-25-2007, 12:56 AM
Well if this trend continues, and other bottlers start joining in, I'll be the dude sitting in the corner with his foot in his mouth ;)

Zap
03-25-2007, 09:34 PM
sucrose: HOLY $#%@#^!!!! That is UNREAL! :) :) :) You know where CD distributes to across Ohio? I have family and friends in Columbus and Toledo, wondering if they might be able to get the real thing.

sucrose
03-26-2007, 10:43 AM
sucrose: HOLY $#%@#^!!!! That is UNREAL! :) :) :) You know where CD distributes to across Ohio? I have family and friends in Columbus and Toledo, wondering if they might be able to get the real thing.

I called and they only distribute to Cuyahoga County OH, a fairly small area. Here's the kicker-she said the Coke products there have ALWAYS been Sucrose only. It's a shame that with the older "and/or" labels nobody caught this before.