PDA

View Full Version : the 2006 numbers are in...

popologist
03-13-2007, 11:26 AM
the sales numbers for 2006 are in:

overall, coke and pepsi were down slightly. diet coke and diet pepsi were flat. and dr pepper was up.

check the link for the full story:
Beverage Digest: Data and Statistics (http://www.beverage-digest.com/editorial/datastats.html)

mofizz
03-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Cadbury had a nice 2006 despite the decline of CSDs

popologist
03-13-2007, 01:07 PM
i guess all those versions of dr pepper paid off. ;)

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-13-2007, 02:20 PM
The 2006 Coca-Cola Enterprises annual report is out now if someone's interested...

http://www.cokecce.com/assets/uploaded_files/CCE2006AnnualReport.pdf

popologist
03-13-2007, 10:22 PM
still no sign of coke zero.

Bigjon9981
03-14-2007, 07:14 AM
Does anyone have a link for a list of more than the top ten beverages, like the top 50 or a hundred? Just curious to see where my favorite drink, mello yello stands.

Mana211
03-14-2007, 09:47 AM
What is CSD?

Is it Consumer Soft Drink?
Is it Consume Soda Daily?
Is it Confirmation of Soda Delivery? :D

popologist
03-14-2007, 11:20 AM
i believe it's "Carbonated Soft Drinks"... so it includes sodas and energy drinks like Red Bull. but not gatorade, flavored waters or juices.

What is CSD?

Is it Consumer Soft Drink?
Is it Consume Soda Daily?
Is it Confirmation of Soda Delivery? :D

the saint
03-14-2007, 01:54 PM
If I am not mistaken energy drinks are not included in the CSD category. I may be wrong though, I am just a poor dumb soda man. :D

popologist
03-14-2007, 03:47 PM
the article says that energy drinks (like Red Bull, Rockstar) are part of CSDs. Gatorade and Powerade are not... since they're not carbonated.

BriGuy20
03-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Interesting that Hansen's has better overall sales than Red Bull.

SURGE
03-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Here are my observations about this list:

1. Great for Rockstar- I guess the Coke deal is working out well for them.
2. Seems that Red Bull is really slowing down still solid growth though.
3. Hansen is really doing great I think it has alot to do with the strength of their energy brands. Good job!
4. Coke (Classic ) and Pepsi continue to make a fairly poor showing.But understandible in the current conditions. Still Pepsi really needs to maintain this share with a fairly close behind DC.
5. OK year for DC, not good by any means but with increasing focus on Zero it isn't as bad as it seems.
6. Diet Pepsi does not seem to be picking up many regular Pepsi drinkers, I'm assuming some go to Jazz or One. Still not a big worry ATM.
7. Good year for Pepper, not much else to say. Great brand, good presence.
8. Not the kind of year I expected from Sprite with the relaunch and all. I hope these drinkers are moving to Sprite Zero otherwise Coke has better be worrying.
9. Fanta is on fire.
10. Seems the Diet Dew relaunch was just as successfull as it seems, very good.
11. Diet Dr. Pepper back on the list! Great growth and a solid product.

Other notes:

No Zero though not unexpected it must have been close. CF Coke, Barqs, and Sierra Mist must all be lurking just outside the top 10. Overall an unremarkable year in CSDs.

popologist
03-15-2007, 10:10 PM
i think coke zero is hurting caffeine free diet coke's sales.

meaning, i like coke zero but... it makes diet coke (and CF diet coke) taste worse... and so i buy less CF diet coke, and, so, buy fresca or fanta instead.

Android
03-16-2007, 06:01 AM
i think coke zero is hurting caffeine free diet coke's sales.
meaning, i like coke zero but... it makes diet coke (and CF diet coke) taste worse... and so i buy less CF diet coke, and, so, buy fresca or fanta instead.

Why CF? I thought Coke Zero had caffeine in it?? At least that's what the nutrition facts on Coke's website says - 23mg caffeine per serving.

BriGuy20
03-16-2007, 10:19 AM
I'd be interested in hearing predictions on if/when people think a pure energy drink (Red Bull/Monster/Rockstar) will make it into the top 10.

I'd wager 2008 or 2009, and I'd say it will more than likely be Monster.

SURGE
03-16-2007, 05:38 PM
I'd be interested in hearing predictions on if/when people think a pure energy drink (Red Bull/Monster/Rockstar) will make it into the top 10.

I'd wager 2008 or 2009, and I'd say it will more than likely be Monster.

2012 is my guess esp. if size keeps increasing.

popologist
03-17-2007, 06:37 AM
red bull isn't the best-selling energy drink?!?

popologist
03-17-2007, 06:43 AM
i know that coke zero has caffeine in it. my point is, once you go zero, you don't go back (to diet).

diet coke (even caffeine free) just tastes bad to me now. so i drink other non-caffeinated drinks instead (fanta zero, fresca, etc).

Why CF? I thought Coke Zero had caffeine in it?? At least that's what the nutrition facts on Coke's website says - 23mg caffeine per serving.

NoVA Alex
03-18-2007, 07:42 PM
i know that coke zero has caffeine in it. my point is, once you go zero, you don't go back (to diet).

diet coke (even caffeine free) just tastes bad to me now. so i drink other non-caffeinated drinks instead (fanta zero, fresca, etc).

I agree completely. I always thought Coke Zero was what DC should have been but for Coke's paranoia over Pepsi.

I'm all about Zero now.

David J.
03-18-2007, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if the lack of CF Coke-Zero is because Coke doesn't want to cut into CF Diet Coke sales.

popologist
03-18-2007, 09:45 PM
you're probably right; but... isn't overall sales the most important number? i think a CF version of coke zero would only ADD sales.

i think part of the reason that coke zero isn't even more successful is because coke is still protecting diet coke (which i can kind of understand). but... why not just promote the crap out of both of them...?

I wouldn't be suprised if the lack of CF Coke-Zero is because Coke doesn't want to cut into CF Diet Coke sales.

SURGE
03-19-2007, 04:52 PM
you're probably right; but... isn't overall sales the most important number? i think a CF version of coke zero would only ADD sales.

i think part of the reason that coke zero isn't even more successful is because coke is still protecting diet coke (which i can kind of understand). but... why not just promote the crap out of both of them...?

I think you are making a very common mistake in your reasoning. More volume is fine and dandy but Coke can only support so many brands at a time. There is limited shelfspace, money, stocking issues (expirations, designs, difficulty managing stock for stores). If these were not issues Coke would never cancel anything, we would still be able to get TaB, Citra, SURGE, and Coke II. There is still a market for these drinks albiet small- but its simply not worth it. Coke wants to avoid confusion and duplicate brands. CZ is doing great and I'm sure at some point a CF version may arrive but right now the market is simply too small.

popologist
03-19-2007, 10:07 PM
yeah, i know.

i'm especially aware of the limitations of shelf space here in NYC. i can barely even find fresca and fanta zero on the same shelf in the same week. i have to go to different stores just to get coke's core brands.

for the most part, i can at least find coke zero wherever i go (especially in 12 packs); though, more recently, 1.5 liters have been a little harder to find.

i see a lot of cherry coke, but almost no cherry coke zero.

BriGuy20
03-31-2007, 11:53 AM
red bull isn't the best-selling energy drink?!?

It might be the best selling individual drink/SKU, but Hansen's has higher sales. Granted, Hansen's has a larger portfolio of drinks (4 varieties of Monster, Rumba Juice, Lost, etc.). Red Bull just has the 8.3 and 12 oz (sugar and sugar free).

Also, Red Bull seems to be far and away the market leader in Europe.

popologist
03-31-2007, 12:39 PM
i suppose the Feds would not allow coke or pepsi to buy red bull, right?