PDA

View Full Version : the TRUE coke zero story...

popologist
03-21-2007, 03:36 PM
here's a story about how coke zero is doing and why coke changed the packaging.

Coke pumps up push for Zero | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/services/content/business/coke/stories/2007/03/20/0320bizcokezero.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=6)

the most interesting thing is that... we discussed these very issues on this board about a year before coke made the change (i.e., that they needed more informative commercials and should switch to black packaging).

coke and pepsi execs really need to pay attention to this board more if they want to boost their sales. right, zabe? ;)

greg
03-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Perhaps the suits are watching this board closely. When it comes to Coke and Pepsi it is not that easy to make quick chages. You have to take into account how many cans, bottle wrappers(sleeves), caps and other packaging they have on hand and the cost invloved with said packaging.The marketing campaigns and the ramp up to these has to be created and scheduled is also an issue to be considered.

It may have well taken a year to get this done.
g

fusion
03-21-2007, 03:50 PM
This is true, greg.

Our 8pk PET boxes are still white, even though all other packaging is black, and the bottles inside have black labels as well.

Mr Zabe
03-21-2007, 04:44 PM
I have said this before and I will say it again LOL......
The regular board mates of this board are (in their
own niche), experts in the soda pop industry. I view
this board as a "think tank".

I'm sure there are a few industry eyes reading this
board to keep up dated on what's important to us
soda pop freaks.

fusion
03-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Well, if they are, you referring to us as freaks certainly isn't giving us any credibility, now is it?

Mr Zabe
03-21-2007, 07:28 PM
I use the word freaks as an endearment. LOL
It's sort of like my way of saying that in a nice way we are
sort of like idiot savants of the soda pop industry.

Have you heard of the term "soda jerk"? That was the name for the men/women who worked behind the soda fountains of times past. I guess that is what gave me the inspiration of "soda pop freak".

IMO, the suits of the soda pop industry are hip enough to know my endearment is not meant as a put down. :)

Android
03-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Actually, freaks may be an apt term. And, I may be totally wrong here, but personally, I'm not sure if what is discussed here really is paid attention to by the big soda companies. Why? Because, really, most people in the public don't give a darn about the stuff we talk about. Or if they do, to them it's mostly trivia, not somthing to care about a lot. They just want to pick up a 12pack of something to drink. And really, those people are the ones that matter most to the soda companies, not us..... we really don't contribute that much to to overall sales. If we did, I'm sure there's be a lot more Major label ads popping up on the Google ad strip to the right.

Mr Zabe
03-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Brilliant point!!!!!!
Well said.:)

popologist
03-21-2007, 11:10 PM
the average person may not pay attention to soda as much as we do; BUT... last year, i'm quite sure that zabe and i (and others) discussed how coke zero's packaging (in the US) should be switched to black (to appeal to males) and that the first commercials were meaningless (in that they were uninformative).

those were our observations.

and, according to the article, that's exactly the conclusions that coke came to.

yes, we're "freaks". but we're freaks who often know what they're talking about. ;)

Mr Zabe
03-21-2007, 11:20 PM
Gosh how many months did we banter about how Coke Zero's marketing/art was poor? The weird thing was at the same time we were anointing Coke Zero as the break through new brand that was going to be a massive big success. It looks like we were just about right,Coke Zero is doing very well and the new design scheme is right on the money.

Android
03-22-2007, 04:19 AM
Good points as well... I wonder if Coke didn't go to black in the first place because of Pepsi's kick-ass logo (to my eyes at least) on their Pepsi One packaging...

popologist
03-22-2007, 12:29 PM
it was certainly weird that they used the dietcoke-like packaging in the US at launch, but black/silver everywhere else. maybe the black didn't test as well in the US... though it tested very well here at bevnet.

the important thing is... that WE were right. ;)

liberty
03-23-2007, 04:32 PM
Not to get off topic here, but the WORST promotion and packaging came from Coke's lack of the above (advertising and can design) with their Coke C2. There is a blog going right now that expresses this over and over. We, and our friends love/loved Coke C2 and find Coke Zero as nasty tasting as Coke's Diet Coke. The problem was, nobody could ever find C2. We drove to other towns and then to another state. We called Atlanta. We called our local bottler and frankly, no one with Coke seemed to care. The bottom line is, Coke never gave C2 a chance. The consumer didn't even know what C2 was.

If Coke reintroduced C2 Coke as Coke Classic Lite (just like Bud Lite and Miller Lite beer), then the consumer would know what it is and buy it. Nabisco has come out with "100 Calorie" packages of cookies, crackers, etc. Consumers are looking for lower calorie products with "the same great taste". Yarnell's Ice Cream has done the same thing with their "half the calories' ice cream bars.

COKE EXECUTIVES, IF YOU ARE LISTENING OR READING THIS,----- YOU ALREADY HAVE DIET COKE, COKE ZERO, DECAFFINATED DIET COKE, TAB, FRESCA, CHERRY VANILLA LIME DIET COKE---ENOUGH ALREADY!!!! Bring back, or continue to bottle/can (and put some on the shelves in stores) C2, re-name it COKE CLASSIC LITE, and advertise it as : HALF THE CALORIES, CARBS, AND SUGAR WITHOUT SACRIFICING COKE CLASSIC'S GREAT/ORIGINAL TASTE".

We, and none of our friends like any of Cokes diet anything (and again, we LOVE C2's). We're back drinking iced tea. Another thing---everybody thinks that a cola with vitamins is rediculous. If we're looking for healthy, we'll drink V8.

BriGuy20
03-25-2007, 02:07 AM
I feel like one of those males they're talking about in the article. I'd LOVE a low-calorie soda but I HATE HATE HATE the aftertaste of traditional diet drinks.

I'm ok with Sucralose/Splenda, though. I've drank hundreds (if not thousands) of bottles of Propel.

I agree that the black labeling is a good idea.