PDA

View Full Version : Flat Shelf or Gravity Feed

DrPepperYummy
03-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Well I was debating with someone today about how newage sections should all be gravity fed shelving since every company seems to have issues with facing product off and stores might tweak the sales just by tilting the shelf... We already do it for 2liters so why wouldn't they do it for all other bottles? Then I got a lecture about what seemed like complete nonsense to me, just a "we've always done it this way so we'll keep doing it this way" type of reasoning... I mean... am I that far off base that not only would vendors appreciate the gravity fed shelving in the long run but the store would from increased sales and presentation of the products?

I know there will always be instances where you'll have to actually work to make things fit like re-organize sections to get like sized bottles into the correct wire/plastic dividers but it seems like such a small problem to overcome for the benefits in the long run... tell me I'm not CrAaAaAaZy?!?!

fusion
03-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Some stores do have gravity-fed new age sections. Shop-Rite comes to mind.

the problem is that the shelves have no other use.. and package sizes all differ.

greg
03-22-2007, 09:16 AM
Gravity feed!!!!

Flat shelf does limit sales. For instance, In my experience on flat shelves we would have 2 flat shelves with 2 liters on both. On blow out sales you would walk into the store and the back row of the top shelf would still be there. If it was a gravity feed every bottle would have the oppertunity to be purchased.
Same concept works with New age. Especially with some stores, such as Publix here in S. Florida New Age has top shelf presence. The smaller bottle/package is harder to see for the average sized woman, the dominant shopper in most families, to see after the 2nd or 3rd row has been purchased leaving several bottles unable to be shopped.

mofizz
03-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Gravity feed is the only way to go. The shelf does half of the merchandising work for you.

greg
03-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Gravity feed is the only way to go. The shelf does half of the merchandising work for you.

Except for the rotation. But a good plan can offset that everyday.

mofizz
03-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Except for the rotation. But a good plan can offset that everyday.

Yes, good point. However it can be easier to rotate since you don't have to reach back far into the shelf unless you knock one over. You have to take the older product completely off the shelf to get the new stuff to the back however. I guess it's a trade off?

pepsipimp
03-22-2007, 03:25 PM
We have a Wal-Mart that is testing complete Gravity-fed shelving for the entire soda aisle. 2Liters using the standard glides, but all 12 packs are on rollers so they slide right down. Its really great because it makes rotation so much easier. With Wal-Marts deep shelving (6 cases back) its a godsend. As far as new age, most of our New Age is in Check lane coolers so its all gravity fed, the shelf sets in the grocery stores aren't and they suck-especially Kroger where they have mostly warm-sets which means less sales to begin with.

golee1
03-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Some stores do have gravity-fed new age sections. Shop-Rite comes to mind.

the problem is that the shelves have no other use.. and package sizes all differ.

Are your back endcaps at Food Lion gravity fed?

fusion
03-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Are your back endcaps at Food Lion gravity fed?

All botter-supplied endcaps were removed from our area when they remodeled the stores. Now we have regular shelf endcaps - the back has five shelves of 2L, and the sides hold 2 cases of 2L each - but we put 8oz cans, 32oz Powerade, and 34oz AriZona on there.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Here in my place, all the OXXO c-stores have gravity feed shelves for the beverages in their fridges, and Soriana supermarket also has gravity feed shelves but only for 2 liter sodas...

Android
03-23-2007, 06:59 AM
I wish the Walmart I buy my 1/2 liter 6packs of 7-up products would use gravity feed. There's been times I've had to actually crawl into the shelf to dig out 6 packs before. Sometimes thay have a stick with hook on the end of it hanging nearby that makes it easier though.