PDA

View Full Version : Small scale custom manufacturing

Ronnie
03-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Hi all,
Just a few questions I'm hoping I can get answered here. I'm currently looking for a custom manufacturer to make a small batch of a drink formula I'm working on. Ideally it would be around 1,000 bottles, maybe even less. I've looked through the classified and directory sections and been in contact with some of the companies listed there, but their minimums are just too big for me.

Have any of you here had a small batch like this made? If so, which company did you deal with, and would you recommend them? Do they also perform labeling of the product?

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Paul's Beverages
03-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Hello Ronnie,

Our company is located an hour north of Pittsburgh. We can produce an 8 pallet minimum run on a regular basis. We manufacture 16.9, 20 and 24 ounce single serve packages in PET and label our products in-house. We can produce with other sweeteners but for small runs we use high fructose corn syrup. If your product is carbonated and you are looking to produce in one of these packages once your sample run is completed maybe we can help. We would charge you an upcharge to run 1000 bottles as a sample production. If you are looking for a packer to produce this small of a run on regular basis I am not sure any modern day packer could help you. Please call me if you have any questions, 724-794-1405. Thank you. Jim

John Wilson
04-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Hi all,
Just a few questions I'm hoping I can get answered here. I'm currently looking for a custom manufacturer to make a small batch of a drink formula I'm working on. Ideally it would be around 1,000 bottles, maybe even less. I've looked through the classified and directory sections and been in contact with some of the companies listed there, but their minimums are just too big for me.

Have any of you here had a small batch like this made? If so, which company did you deal with, and would you recommend them? Do they also perform labeling of the product?

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.
It is my experience with bottlers that it just isn't worthwhile for them to run such a small amount. The blending and cleaning involved creates line down time. Depending on what type of ingredients you are using is alos a critical factor. Cold Fill plants generally use preservatives. Hot Fill plants do not always have use them. Hot Fill is rather like grand ma's canning procedures at 300-600 pieces per minute. If you think you have a cold fill product you might check with US Beverage near Baltimore. I think they just installed a new line and they do small runs. Most of their business is bottled water.

If you plan to really go forward with this and market it you will probably find that you will have to give up a little here and there and learn to like what you can settle for. I work for a flavor company and many entrepreneurs come to us wanting to use fresh fruits and such. I don't know anyone that can do that unless you are flavoring a juice (and probably not fresh) We talk to people all the time and freely make referrals. We want both of us to succeed. Give me a call. We talk to the "little guys" all the time. Sometimes they become big guys. BevNet is a great resource too! You can get back issues and follow trends etc. Good Luck! John Wilson wilson@allenflavors.com