PDA

View Full Version : it's official. Diet Coke PLUS is launching...

popologist
03-23-2007, 11:17 AM
here's the article on bevnet:

BevNET.com - Coca-Cola North America Announces Plans to Launch Diet Coke Plus™ (http://bevnet.com/news/2007/03-23-2007-Coke_Plus.asp)

at least one thing in the article is not 100% true though. it says that diet coke plus has the "same great taste" but, in reality, Plus uses a combination of aspartame and ace-k... original diet coke does not. :)

since aspartame and ace-k are what's used in coke zero to minimize the after taste, i'm predicting that diet coke plus will taste better than regular diet coke.

popologist
03-23-2007, 11:24 AM
actually... i was mistaken. it doesn't say "same great taste". it says "delivers on the great taste that they have come to expect from us". :)

greg
03-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Vitamins and Minerals in a CSD??????? I don't know. I guess I will just have to wait and see.
Hell, I thought that Aquafina with Vitamins and minerals was a dumb a$$ idea, and it was at the time, but now Vitamin water kicks butt.

popologist
03-23-2007, 11:30 AM
i actually think it may succeed... especially if it has less after taste than regular diet coke.

if it tastes bad, then it will probably flop.

Mr Zabe
03-23-2007, 11:50 AM
On the Fox morning show (last monday?) "Fox and Friends" they showed a promotional cooler Diet Coke Plus. There was a six pack of warm 20oz bottles inside the cooler. The three co-hosts drank a few swigs and forced a smile. LOL They said it tasted good but their facial expression did not seem so happy.

IMO the silver and aqua blue color scheme of DCP looks very unappealing. It appears once again Coke has launched a new brand with design issues.

popologist
03-23-2007, 12:26 PM
i don't think the packaging is ugly, but it's not really eye-catching either. but that's partly due to coke's new "minimalist" packaging on all of their products.

the real test will be how it tastes. if it tastes bad (like diet coke with splenda), it will flop (like diet coke with splenda).

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-23-2007, 01:25 PM
i don't think the packaging is ugly, but it's not really eye-catching either. but that's partly due to coke's new "minimalist" packaging on all of their products.

the real test will be how it tastes. if it tastes bad (like diet coke with splenda), it will flop (like diet coke with splenda).

I don't think so, IMO the packaging looks good, and the blue cap looks great on it, the color of the cap looks the same that Ciel water has here...

and I don't think Diet Coke with Splenda tastes bad, the taste is good also...

liberty
03-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Coke had a true winner and just didn't bottle/can it right. Coke C2 was the best compromise, but the public didn't understand that it was a COKE LITE, (and it would have been a success had the public understood it to be just like BUD LITE and MILLER LITE beer). In our opinion Coke continues to try to make "chicken salad" out of the barnyard, if you get the drift, with their DIET COKE, COKE ZERO, VANILLA, CHERRY, LIME COKE, that from reading many blogs, and on this site, the consumer thinks tastes nasty, and leaves a horrible aftertaste.

Surely Coke reads the BevBoard. If I were a soft drink executive I would sure try to get with the 21st century method of public communication.

Coke just doesn't seem to listen to the public. I know people from every state that has called Atlanta and their local bottlers asking where to buy C2 Coke. I don't see Coke ever coming out with anything as good as C2. I will never buy their Diet Coke or Coke Zero. I'll drink Diet Rite cola first.

liberty
03-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Just another thought----If Coke actually puts out a Diet Coke Plus that tastes tolerable, (and I doubt they can) the local bottler will probably put 10 or so 12 pkgs on the shelves, then the consumer won't be able to find it, will have to drive to other towns, etc to get it, JUST LIKE IT WAS WITH C2's. Coke didn't have the the Coke C2 sales because the bottler didn't deliver enough C2's to the stores, and when they did, people like us bought all the C2's they could find. I heard Coke still made TAB in some areas. That has to be a limited market because Tab is just about the nastiest tasting diet drink ever bottled, except for possibly Fresca which I saw the other day.

If you're looking for a Diet cola with Splenda, the go with Diet Rite Zero with Splenda. It costs less and tastes better

popologist
03-23-2007, 03:24 PM
liberty, you make a lot of good points.

C2 was so hard to find and a lot of us just gave up. also, like you said, a lot of people didn't know what it was. i think a lot of people thought it was "new coke" (or "coke 2"). i think if coke had marketed correctly, gave it a simple name (like "coke lite"), and made it available, things could've turned out a lot differently.

coke almost made the exact same mistakes with coke zero; but, fortunately, for those of us who like it, they're finally getting their act together.

maybe coke will re-release C2 as "Coke Lite" someday, and get it right. it really was a good soda... and a nice compromise between taste and calories.

liberty
03-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Popologist, thank you for your comments. We wish we could acquire a taste for Coke Zero, but to us and our friends, Zero still has a flat, sort of bitter, taste, and after taste.

We travel in our motor home a lot, and from November to February we toured most of the southern states, so we aren't exagerating when we say we really LOOKED in grocery stores and Wal Mart stores in the southern states for C2's. Some of the soft drink department managers had never even heard of C2. . We found C2 in Alabama and the panhandle of Florida. We could not find C2 in any other state. We ended up buying 30 12 packs (and that is only because we stayed in a town long enough for a grocery store in Alabama, to order 30 12 pkgs for us to bring back to Arkansas). We would have bought more, but we were afraid of all that extra weight in our motor home. Now Coke is not bottling C2's in Alabama, or we'd go back there.

It is our understanding that Coke still has the syrup, and the formula for C2. Fox news reported that Coke and Pepsi's sales are really sagging. Coke keeps re-inventing the same wheel. (ex: remaking the "Diet, More Diet", "Really Really Diet", "Coffee Diet Coke", etc ) as the old saying goes: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Coke is still trying to fix it, or they wouldn't be coming out with a DIET COKE PLUS. Obviously, there are STILL A LOT of people like us that WANT A COMPROMISE. Coke just keeps on making the "same wheel", which is not turning, or they wouldn't be bottleing so many "hit and misses".

If they brought Coke C2 back with the correct advertising and actually stock shelves, I'm 100% convinced it would go over BIG. Follow the Beer Brewerys, and call it what it is: COKE CLASSIC LITE

Mr Zabe
03-23-2007, 04:11 PM
...... And if the retail price is the same as other Coke Products.
IMO charging a premium for a new unproven brand is rather lame.

You all have made good points.:)

fusion
03-23-2007, 08:46 PM
C2 was a dog, right from the start. It didn't even do well when we practically gave it away, or when we put it in regular packaging.

It was a pointless soft drink. The idea was to capture those who switched off and on from regular to diet.

Of course, the premium packaging idea didn't help either - Coke learned from that and didn't try it with Coke Zero.

Zero is a success story. Coke would have been too unfocused trying to push four colas. Zero has a much wider audience than C2 ever could have hoped to have had.

Good riddance, i say.

liberty
03-24-2007, 12:54 AM
Go over and read the blogs about Coke C2. Nobody really knew about it, and there was never any on the shelves.

Coke Zero is the only choice, other than the other Diet Coke, Black Cherry, Vanilla, Lime, etc, so since Zero tastes a little bit LESS nasty than the others, and since the shelves are LOADED with it, of course it's going to sell. We're not buying any of it. It still has a metallic , nasty after taste.

popologist
03-24-2007, 05:44 AM
until coke zero, coca-cola hasn't really created a successful soda in almost 2 decades (diet coke). (i guess the same can be said for pepsi too). i think a big reason for this is that coke doesn't know how to market something; and, maybe, there is poor control over their independent bottlers. i mean, what difference does it make if coke has a new product, if its bottlers won't put it in stores?

fusion
03-24-2007, 06:40 AM
Go over and read the blogs about Coke C2. Nobody really knew about it, and there was never any on the shelves.

Coke Zero is the only choice, other than the other Diet Coke, Black Cherry, Vanilla, Lime, etc, so since Zero tastes a little bit LESS nasty than the others, and since the shelves are LOADED with it, of course it's going to sell. We're not buying any of it. It still has a metallic , nasty after taste.

Oh, baloney. We had tons and tons of C2 out there, people weren't buying it.

I don't buy into the theory that just because there is a lot of something out there that people will automatically buy it. Surge failed, and it was over-represented in store sets. New Coke failed, Pepsi Blue failed, etc, etc.

So, if I take a dump in a billion cans and put them on store shelves, people will buy them just because there are a lot of them there? Doubtful. The product actually has to be something that interests them to even pick it up.

I see all sorts of people mesmerized by Coke Blak.. but do they buy it? No. And I am still explaining what Coke Zero is to people, and it's been out for what.. two years?

C2 has too limited an audience to ever be widely successful, at least at this point in time.

Artificially flavored sodas have an aftertaste. You can't really escape that. The ones flavored with cherry, lime, lemon, etc have an advantage, because that flavoring helps mask the aftertaste, somewhat. C2 has an aftertaste.

If nobody knew about C2, then how did they write blogs about it? Coke spent a boatload on advertising, using that Rolling Stones song.

popologist
03-24-2007, 08:24 AM
"less political. more party."

that was one of C2's "clever" ads.

that told the consumer absolutely NOTHING about what it was. most people never even knew that C2 existed; so how were they going to want to buy it even if they did see it on store shelves?

who knows. maybe it just has to do with the fact that sodas are the new cigarettes in this country... and sales have been declining for years because of that.

i suppose it's a positive thing overall... just not for coke and pepsi.

liberty
03-24-2007, 08:27 PM
fushion, every time you post a response about C2, you sound personally involved with C2 some way. You sound angry that we even post about it.

We've all simply stated that C2 was not promoted or advertised properly, or named something that made sense, like: COKE CLASSIC LITE. As stated before, we traveled through 7 southern states (excluding the state we live, of which it is not bottled, was not given a chance, because the bottlers are small, and they get "limited shelve space". This is what we were told when we questioned why it was so hard to get C2's.

It is a proven fact that Coke and Pesi's sales are "sagging", so obviously Coke and Pesi's attempting to "cover the bitter after taste" with Cherry, Vanilla, Lime etc. hasn't and doesn't work. You state C2 had an after taste? That is your opinion. In our opinion, and many others, it was the first low calorie-low carb soda that had less of both, but didn't sacrifice the great taste of regular Coke Classic.

I agree totally with Poptologist. They may have had the Rolling Stones, but Coke's message wasn't clear. Coke's sales are slipping, and maybe C2 is just an example of why. If you work for Coke, and have similar attitudes toward and about consumer input and opinions, then perhaps this is why "Coke's sales are sagging".

We believe Coke could reintroduce C2's as COKE CLASSIC LITE, advertise it (just like Miller Lite and Bud Lite beer) give it some time AND shelf space, and just like lite beer, it would go over. A friend of ours owns the local Bud brewery, and he says Bud Lite is right there and somtimes over regular Bud sales.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-25-2007, 04:20 AM
We've all simply stated that C2 was not promoted or advertised properly, or named something that made sense, like: COKE CLASSIC LITE. As stated before, we traveled through 7 southern states (excluding the state we live, of which it is not bottled, was not given a chance, because the bottlers are small, and they get "limited shelve space". This is what we were told when we questioned why it was so hard to get C2's.

Hum... there's already a Coca-Cola Lite... or I mean... Coca-Cola Light... and renaming C2 as Coca-Cola Classic Lite would make people think that is the same thing as Diet Coke or Coca-Cola Zero... plus I don't like the "Lite" term, cause it reminds me Miller Lite BTW...

liberty
03-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Ramon, where can we buy Coke Light? (half the calories and carbs). We've never heard of it. All we see around here are Diet Coke and Coke Zero. Where can we buy Coke Light, where have you seen it sold?

Mr Zabe
03-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Coca Cola Light is produced and sold in Mexico.
It is the equivalent of Diet Coke.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Ramon, where can we buy Coke Light? (half the calories and carbs). We've never heard of it. All we see around here are Diet Coke and Coke Zero. Where can we buy Coke Light, where have you seen it sold?

I forgot to specify... we have it here in Mexico, and in the rest of the world, Coca-Cola Light is the equivalent of Diet Coke in the rest of the world... with the exception of UK, Australia and New Zealand. That's why I talk about, if you release a Diet Coke along with a Coca-Cola Light (or Lite), people will think they're the same thing...

I don't know if mexican Coca-Cola Light is available in mexican food groceries... but you can check there...

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Found it at Flickr... a pic of a Diet Coke plus kit with a disk, a 20 oz. bottle and a 12 oz. sleek can...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/187/436861412_63cd5e7600.jpg

liberty
03-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Ramon, thanks for the information. We don't have any problem finding Diet coke or Coke Zero. Unfortunately, we don't like the taste of either. Although Coke C2 did have calories and carbs, it was half, so that helped a lot for our group who are calorie counters. We just loved C2 and really hated to see it fail so quickly.

Thanks again for the information.

liberty
03-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Another comment about Coke with Vitamins and Minerals---Heart desease is the #1 killer. A friend's cardiologist told him that he needed to be careful not to take a certain amount of Vit. E, and a couple of others. Dietitians reporting on CNN and FOX NEWs reported that they thought it was a rediculous idea. However we'll try it, and if it doesn't taste like Diet Coke or Coke Zero, and tastes like Coke C2 I'll go back to Coke. Right now we're drinking Iced Tea, which REALLY is good for us because of the antioxidants.

When we want Coke, we want Coke, and not for vitamins!! We could not tell the difference between Coke Classic and C2.

Mr Zabe
03-28-2007, 12:55 AM
Well said.:)
I do not drink soda pop for my health,I drink it because it tastes
damn good and feels painfully great in my mouth. LOL

CStoreCatMan
03-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Agreed. I don't think they will win any new consumers with DCP. Maybe some Diet Coke drinkers will give it a shot. Anybody think the name "Diet Coke Plus" could scare consumers away? We now live in a world where beverages are being "infused" with all kinds of extra stuff...not everyone is receptive to that and my thought is a hard core diet drinker could care less about the "Plus."

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-30-2007, 07:18 PM
Anybody think the name "Diet Coke Plus" could scare consumers away? We now live in a world where beverages are being "infused" with all kinds of extra stuff...not everyone is receptive to that and my thought is a hard core diet drinker could care less about the "Plus."

IMO a hard core diet drinker could care less about the "Max"... and actually the words "extra caffeine and ginseng" could really scare consumers away... :D

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-07-2007, 02:11 AM
Found more pics of the Diet Coke plus sleek can at flickr... ingredients too...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/211/448078360_e60ead739f_d.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/249/448078362_dc6392d5e2_d.jpg

popologist
04-07-2007, 05:51 AM
has anyone actually tasted it yet?

mcmannors
04-07-2007, 06:46 PM

Yes, I just tried it. It tastes pretty good on ice.

I got a 12 ounce can at the A & P in Aberdeen, NJ earlier today.

LordJezo
04-09-2007, 07:59 PM
My brother found two cans at a Target in or around New Brunswick, NJ this past Saturday. Found them buried in the clearance section.

Here's my review. (http://www.78west.com/wordpress/?p=173)

The short version:

I think it's all a scam. This is just more junk to feed off the fact that people in this country refuse to eat right and think that they can get everything they need in a nice convenient can. Is it an improvement to the completely devoid of anything Diet Coke, but it's still a soda and shouldn't be used as a health food.

I suppose I am just bitter at the state of everything and everyone around me.

Moving on, from people who tried it who drink a ton of soda, they all said it tasted like Diet Coke but with a little something extra, family said it was a bit sweeter. I am sure this will be a hit amongst the crowds that love Diet Coke and dont want to eat right.

ithastabeshasta
04-09-2007, 08:13 PM

My wife brought a sample home today for me to try. I can't believe I am saying this but I actually liked it as I don't care for regular diet coke to much. The can she brought me was the normal sized US can. I would post a picture of the can (and can if you would like me too) but my Bassett dog got the can off the table and crushed it to lick it out.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-09-2007, 08:49 PM
My wife brought a sample home today for me to try. I can't believe I am saying this but I actually liked it as I don't care for regular diet coke to much. The can she brought me was the normal sized US can. I would post a picture of the can (and can if you would like me too) but my Bassett dog got the can off the table and crushed it to lick it out.

LOL... :D probably he wanted to try it...

Thanks everybody for sharing your review!

fusion
04-09-2007, 09:12 PM
It has Ace-K as a secondary sweetener, that's why it tastes sweeter than regular Diet Coke.

Wal-Mart supercenters are scheduled to have a four foot section of it in their seasonal food aisle (where the easter candy currently is). Today they were setting up these huge Spiderman 3 display pieces that sit on top of each side of that aisle in the store I was working in.

popologist
04-10-2007, 06:39 AM
yeah. the reason it tastes better than regular diet coke is probably because it's using Ace-K as a secondary sweetener (like coke zero). so, really, what you're drinking is Diet Coke Zero. :)

what i'm wondering is if coke is secretly trying to get ace-k into regular diet coke...

right now, neither regular diet coke or diet pepsi use ace-k, but all of their other diet softdrinks do.

billygtexas
04-10-2007, 07:12 AM
I'll give it a shot..my local Wal-Mart has display banners in the entranceway of the store now.

Cereal makers for decades have "fortified" their (over)sweetened kids cereals with plenty of vitamins to make thier parents think they're eating something healthy. I'm surprised Pepsi didn't try this before. They own Quaker Oats - makers of Captain Crunch and Quisp. Who knows this soda might click with the American public. I wish Zero was getting this treatment than Diet Coke.

popologist
04-10-2007, 12:33 PM
let's just be honest here: people are always going to drink sodas.

so, what's the harm in making them a little healthier. i really doubt it's going to make people drink more of it. they'll just be getting a little bit more out of it than they were before.

in other words, if you're in a 3-hour meeting, and all you have is diet coke... at least you'll be getting a few vitamins until lunch. right?

mcmannors
04-10-2007, 02:47 PM

Here in New Jersey, the cans I saw were the same as the ones posted on the previous page, taller and thinner than the regular cans.

mjb1124
04-11-2007, 08:29 PM
yeah. the reason it tastes better than regular diet coke is probably because it's using Ace-K as a secondary sweetener (like coke zero). so, really, what you're drinking is Diet Coke Zero. :)

...or New Coke Zero.

I found the slim cans at Target today (I believe this would be the same one LordJezo's brother went to). I'm really liking the taste - it's mellow like regular Diet Coke, but a little sweeter, and with little if any of the really overbearing bitterness. I think I might even like this better than Coke Zero, but I'll have to wait until the honeymoon is over to make that decision.

As for the idea of putting vitamins in diet soda - I say sure, why not. I think people know better than to think that drinking Diet Coke Plus (or regular Diet Coke for that matter) will automatically make you thin or healthy. People drink diet sodas in order to get their soda fix while avoiding empty calories, and now this will allow you to get a little extra benefit. I don't see how this is any worse than Vitamin Water or any other fortified sweetened drinks.

Mr Zabe
04-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Could you all refresh my memory?
Will Diet Coke Plus be sold a a higher price point
than Diet Coke? Will it be sold in only 4pks and singles?
Just curious as I hope Coca Cola does not try and market it
like they did with C2.

fusion
04-11-2007, 10:48 PM
The slim 12 ounce cans are apparently just something special for the initial release - something to catch your eye.

We've seen pictures on here of 12 packs and 20oz bottles. It will be in normal packaging, and priced like other Coke brands. I have also seen tags for 6pk 16.9oz bottles.. but none for 2 liters.

popologist
04-11-2007, 11:00 PM
yeah. i haven't read of any special pricing.

they've tried that twice (C2 & Coke Blak) and, both times, it failed.

hopefully, there won't be a third time...

fusion
04-15-2007, 01:00 AM
Hit the streets this weekend in my area. I've had a few customers ask me what it is already.

The secondary sweetener, like with the Diet Coke flavors, extends the shelf life of the cans a good month past the date code of Diet Coke & CF Diet Coke.

12 packs are mycokerewards with a blurb on the back, similar to the Sprite Zero and Black Cherry Freca ones I posted the other day.

popologist
04-15-2007, 08:46 AM
i'd definitely like to try it. i just hope it tastes better than diet coke with splenda.

amyers
04-15-2007, 10:23 AM
I haven't seen it around here, I saw an ad for it at Wal-Mart but I don't think CCBCC is bottling it right now?

popologist
04-15-2007, 12:39 PM
i haven't seen it in NYC yet, and, i believe, NYC is diet coke's largest market...

golee1
04-15-2007, 04:29 PM
The official launch isn't until tomorrow.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
04-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Found it today at walmart.http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/robsharpe2001/104_0671.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/robsharpe2001/104_0669.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/robsharpe2001/104_0668.jpg

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Cool! :eek: thanks for posting!

Refreshing... Uplifting... sounds like the phrase in the japanese Coke packaging...

Mr Zabe
04-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Rob,
Cool pictures!!!
Did you buy it at Woodman's?
What was it on sale for and what was the normal
shelf price?
Tks

fusion
04-16-2007, 07:31 PM
No, he said he got it at Wal-Mart.

We are featuring it in Wal-Mart in our area for $2.98.

Mr Zabe
04-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks Fusion.
I have been glued to the TV,
it has been an extremely sad day for this country.:(

ColdOne86
04-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Well I tried some today and it tasted better then diet coke but I think Coke Zero is still better imo!!

Bigjon9981
04-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Found Diet Coke Plus in Dayton...didnt buy any because I have enough pop right now but I have to ask does it taste the same as regular diet coke?

popologist
04-18-2007, 10:51 PM
early reports are that it tastes better than regular diet coke (probably because it uses the same sweeteners as Coke Zero); but i haven't tried it for myself yet.

Found Diet Coke Plus in Dayton...didnt buy any because I have enough pop right now but I have to ask does it taste the same as regular diet coke?

Rob The SURGE Drinker
04-18-2007, 11:35 PM
Isn't diet coke based off of the New coke formula? so really, this is like New Coke Zero (with vitamins and minerals) right?

fusion
04-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Hmm, no.

Diet Coke came out years before New Coke.. So, if anything, New Coke would be a hfcs version of Diet Coke.

That being said, I am told that Plus is sweeter than Diet Coke, on par with the sweetness of Diet Pepsi, due to the secondary sweetener.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
04-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Hmm, no.

Diet Coke came out years before New Coke.. So, if anything, New Coke would be a hfcs version of Diet Coke.

That being said, I am told that Plus is sweeter than Diet Coke, on par with the sweetness of Diet Pepsi, due to the secondary sweetener.
Ok, im not sure where i heard that. Oh well. I think it tastes alright, but as others have said, Not as good as Coke Zero

Android
04-19-2007, 01:02 AM
Yeah I bought a 12 pack the other day too. It's okay, nothing special though.
-Andy

jmyjunk
04-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Sitting here with a 20oz, straight from the 7-11 cooler. First impressions are positive. It has less of a harsh aftertaste that Diet Coke, thus it is easier going down. I do think this product is a bit gimmiky, as who really is going to buy diet coke with a bunch of minerals in it?

billygtexas
04-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Just tried a 20 oz bottle, first impression is very positive. Kind of a cross between Zero and Diet Coke. A VERY sweet taste and far less aftertaste. I still like Zero better, but Plus is a big improvement over the old Diet Coke formula and is a good second choice.

My only gripe is the way Coke is promoting Plus here locally. They're selling it only in cans in the 12 can fridge pak and I haven't seen a 2 liter bottle anywhere.

popologist
04-24-2007, 06:16 PM
so, bascially... it's really diet coke zero. ;)

jmyjunk
04-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Here in Boulder, I have seen Diet Coke Plus in 20oz bottles, fidge packs, and the mini trial size bottles.

Mr Zabe
04-24-2007, 07:49 PM
I saw 20oz bottles in a free standing cooler filled with ice selling
for 69 cents a bottle. I find it odd that with this kind of new brand
roll out that there was not a better retail trial price. I'm not sure that the
average customer health conscious or not would try a 20oz even at the
69cent price point.

I think I saw a double facing of fridge packs on the shelf.

fusion
04-24-2007, 08:15 PM
I don't believe there are going to be 2 liters. The diet variations haven't been that successful in that package.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
04-24-2007, 08:26 PM
i found mini bottles of diet coke plus today.

popologist
04-24-2007, 10:58 PM
i'm going to have to try to find a 20 oz bottle soon and give it a try. i'm very curious what diet coke with ace-k will taste like...

liberty
04-25-2007, 01:55 AM
Diet Coke Plus tastes as nasty as Coke Zero. We bought one fridge pack, and we won't be buying any more. If we want nutrition we'll drink V-8.

popologist
04-25-2007, 01:16 PM
if it tastes like coke zero, most of us will like it... thanks for the review! :)

Diet Coke Plus tastes as nasty as Coke Zero. We bought one fridge pack, and we won't be buying any more. If we want nutrition we'll drink V-8.

Tannerman
04-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Another shot of the bottle...

http://steveandamysly.tannerworld.com/databank/2007/image_dietcokeplus1.jpg

I'm not a diet beverage drinker, but when I reviewed this (http://forums.tannerworld.com/showthread.php?t=9090) I found, like others, that Diet Coke Plus was much sweeter. Made it a tad bit more tolerable. It's not going to convert me, but it wasn't too bad. I personally feel the real news with this drink is not the vitamin aspect, but rather the "sweet Diet Coke" flavor.

popologist
04-25-2007, 03:19 PM
like i've said before, what they're really testing/selling here is "diet coke zero" (diet coke with coke zero sweeteners). they can't just come out and change the flavor of diet coke, so they're doing it through the back door... ;)

Tannerman
04-25-2007, 04:48 PM
so they're doing it through the back door... ;)
Agreed .

liberty
04-26-2007, 12:00 AM
Coke keeps trying to 're invent the wheel. They just haven't come out with one without that nasty metallic after taste. Zero or Plus both are awful.

popologist
04-26-2007, 01:57 PM
i've got a 12 pack of DCPlus in the fridge. i'll give my review later. if it tastes good enough, i may alternate it with coke zero... just for variety. also, the extra vitamins & minerals may give me an extra kick in the morning (since i don't drink coffee).

ZedFlummox
04-26-2007, 08:26 PM
I overall liked it. It's definitely sweeter than regular Diet Coke.

Did it remind anyone else of Fountain Diet Coke? The other thing I noticed was that it tasted somehow flat, like it needed a bit more carbonation or something (I drank mine from a can, and have had two now so I don't think it was just an isolated thing).

popologist
04-26-2007, 10:59 PM
i'm drinking my first, chilled can now.

it definitely tastes better than regular diet coke. i really don't taste an aftertaste at all. so they've done a good job there (using the coke zero sweeteners).

i'd also agree with the other reviews that say it seems a bit sweeter than regular diet coke, and, maybe not as carbonated. i think the seemingly more sweetness may just come from the fact that there's no bitter aftertaste.

overall, i still prefer coke zero, because... it has more coca-cola taste... more cola flavor, more fizz. but... diet coke plus is definitely an improvement over regular diet coke (or any other diet drink, aside from Zero). so, i'll probably supplement my coke zero and cherry coke zero "habit" with some DCPlus.

i'm pleasantly surprised... they've FINALLY improved diet coke.

oh, also... i like the new diet coke packaging (on cans, at least). it's clean and "classic".

BottleBoss
04-27-2007, 09:51 AM
This is the most discusting soda I can remember. It tasted like carbonated aspirin for sure.

popologist
04-27-2007, 11:46 AM
This is the most discusting soda I can remember. It tasted like carbonated aspirin for sure.

did you drink it cold? or after eating something sugary?

i'm just surprised by your strong, negative reaction.

i mean, it's not quite as good as coke zero, but... i think it's head and shoulders above regular diet coke, diet pepsi, or pepsi one.

ZedFlummox
04-27-2007, 05:04 PM
So, I've been drinking it almost every day on my car ride into work, and I have to say that I am starting to grow a bit sick of it.

I just can't shake the feeling that somehow the carbonation is off. It tastes like fountain coke where the carbonation is somehow off.

popologist
04-27-2007, 06:03 PM
So, I've been drinking it almost every day on my car ride into work, and I have to say that I am starting to grow a bit sick of it.

I just can't shake the feeling that somehow the carbonation is off. It tastes like fountain coke where the carbonation is somehow off.

i agree that it seems a little flat. but, remember, new coke was often called "flat" (or smoother than coke classic), and diet coke uses the same formula.

my guess is that some of the "sting" of regular diet coke came from the artificial sweeteners, and now that those have been altered... and the aftertaste is gone... the whole experience is "smoother" (or "flat").

personally, i think it's an improvement over regular diet coke. but, i like the "kick" of coke zero much better. it just has more cola taste than any version of diet coke.

popologist
04-29-2007, 06:27 AM
i offered a can to a friend of mine. he took a couple sips and said, "it tastes flat."

he later added that it doesn't taste bad, but that he likes coke zero (better).

he then joked about getting all of his "vitamins and minerals from soda"... LOL! :)

The King
05-01-2007, 01:59 PM
This is by far the best Diet Coke I've ever had. Not quite as good as Coke Zero, but far superior to normal Diet Coke or DC w/ Splenda.

As for those that think it tastes like fountain DC, you must get better fountain DC than I. Fountain DC always has a far worse aftertaste than what you get from cans and bottles.

I hate it when that's my only choice for a zero calorie soda, as it is in most eating establishments. Hopefully more places follow Wendy's lead and start carrying Coke Zero.

popologist
05-01-2007, 10:54 PM
i agree with king. coke zero is still better, but DCPlus is better than ANY diet coke out there. the aftertaste is pretty much gone.

BottleBoss
05-02-2007, 07:32 AM
Well, You know what they say. "To each his own." Whoever 'they' is.

popologist
05-04-2007, 06:46 PM
this analyst at Motley Fool thinks DCPlus is a winner (along with Coke Zero).

Quick Take: Pleasantly Surprised by Diet Coke Plus [Fool.com] May 03, 2007 (http://www.fool.com/investing/value/2007/05/03/quick-take-pleasantly-surprised-by-diet-coke-plus.aspx)

ScottyLibido
05-05-2007, 02:25 PM
I expected it to taste mediciney and it didn't. Not too bad, but I prefer Coke Zero for sure

Mana211
05-13-2007, 05:11 PM
In order of preference:

Coke Zero
C2
Coke Plus
Caffeine Free Diet Coke
Diet Coke

In other words it is better than a regular diet coke but not as good as a Coke Zero (no surprise there). I did notice the slightly "flat" sensation others have mentioned but I also noticed that same sensation with the last two batches of C2 I got from North Carolina. I don't know what it is but it isn't limited to Diet Coke Plus.

There is a high proportion of people in the US (around 40%) that are B12 deficient so it is nice that it has that. Apparently Vegetarians and the Elderly are more likely to be B12 deficient.

However caffeine may reduce the absorption of some minerals, such as manganese, zinc, & copper, as well as vitamins such as vitamin A & B complex. Caffeine can increase the amount of calcium lost as well.

So if you are going to vitamin fortify your diet coke it would make sense to reduce the caffeine in it as well. Obviously they don't want to remove the caffeine entirely as it boosts metabolism and could help burn calories and there would be a consumer backlash if it were caffeine free.

Regular Coke has 25mg and Diet coke has 31mg. Barqs has 15mg so it would make sense to lower the caffeine in Diet Coke Plus to something in the 15 to 25mg range.

Unfortunately http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/mail/goodanswer/soft_drink_nutrition.pdf and http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/mail/goodanswer/us_fountain_beverages.pdf don't have Diet Coke Plus so we don't know the exact amount yet.

Apparently the caffeine info will be added to the label on the can sometime in 2007.

Bigjon9981
05-13-2007, 05:33 PM
tried it today (2 12oz for $1 at Kroger) and well not what i was hoping for. I was honestly thinking that it would be diet coke with vitamins and I found it to be just like Coke zero (which I dislike). I am not sure if there is something up with the stuff that makes up coke zero but it must cost less than regualr diet coke to make because it seems to be popping up. Diet Coke Plus, thumbs down.

David J.
05-16-2007, 11:00 PM
I tried it and was rather impressed, considering this IS Diet Coke afterall.

Cokeologist
06-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Releasing as Coca-Cola Light Plus in Belgium:

http://www.speedycocacolacans.be/blikken/belgie/330ml/light%20plus%20vitamines/BE07%20330CLPLV001A.jpg

Ram0n C0keah0lic
06-30-2007, 10:58 PM
Cool! probably Coke Light Plus will expand worldwide like Coke Zero did...

Thanks for posting!