PDA

View Full Version : Coca Cola Cleveland dropped HFCS in favor of Sucrose

sucrose
03-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Folks I think this is big news. Not sure if it's part of a test market or what, but I was on my way to get Kosher coke in cans today, and I stumbled upon the following: bottling plant "CD" (Cleveland, OH) has been producing 100% sucrose-only Coca Cola & Cherry Coke at least two months ago based on the varying expiration dates I found. :eek: The prouct tastes clean and crisp, with no HFCS aftertaste, just like the Kosher for Passover or Mexican products.

I decided to check after reading the other day that new laws disallow the use of "and/or" terminology on food/beverage packaging labels.

This was confirmed at three retail stores in the Mayfield Heights area:
1) Costco-cases of 12oz cans
2) Giant Eagle-12oz 6pks, fridge packs, 2L bottles
3) Walmart-12oz fridge packs, 16.9oz bottles, 2L bottles, 12oz/20oz from vending machines
machines
4) Heinens-12oz 6pks, fridge packs, 2L bottles and the HOLY GRAIL: 6pks
of the short 10oz GLASS BOTTLES. :D :D

Heinens & Giant Eagle also had separate displays of Kosher for Passover 6pks that were made in KE (New York State).

I did notice that in every instance, the clear sodas were still using HFCS (Canada Dry & Sprite).

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-25-2007, 04:23 AM
Thanks for the news...

Probably all the sucrose Coke lovers in this forums will head to Cleveland inmediately... :D

doug1885
03-25-2007, 04:33 PM
It appears that Coca Cola doesn't bottle Dr Pepper in Cleveland (DP has its own bottler there, right?). If any Coke bottler starts doing this which also bottles DP, I expect they'll use sucrose for the DP, too. I can't wait to try *that*!
(To my taste, both Coke and DP improve with sucrose, but DP is an order of magnitude better than with HFCS. YMMV)

Note: Is it my imagination or can you tell sucrose from HFCS by the smaller "foamier" bubbles that form when shaking the sucrose formulation?

-Doug

Wally1912
03-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Let us hope this becomes a trend and catches on with the other bottling facilities.

Maybe it is related to this story on the main page of BevNet.
http://www.bevnet.com/news/2007/03-15-2007-Corn_Coke.asp

unnamed
03-25-2007, 07:23 PM
It appears that Coca Cola doesn't bottle Dr Pepper in Cleveland (DP has its own bottler there, right?).

Nope...PepsiAmericas.

sucrose
03-25-2007, 07:55 PM
So far I've tried a kosker for passover can from plant "KE", and a regular can/10oz glass bottle from "CD". I tried them warm and then with ice.

Here is my review: The regular can (Dec 3rd expiration) definitely had its own taste, and it tasted pretty foul warm. It had a sour taste, noticably different than the HFCS or Kosher varieties. So bad that I was considering returning both cases to Costco for a refund. Once I put it on ice, however, the flavor was much much better. Another store had a Dec 17th expiration can, and I'm kicking myself for not buying at least a 6pk, so I could have tried a fresher product and checked to see if the taste was consistent between batches.

The Kosher for Passover can (also Dec 3rd expiration) tasted better warm and almost the same as the non kosher can cold. I'd have to say the Kosher can would be my choice warm, and the regular can would be my choice cold. My taste buds have convinced that there is more to the "kosher vs regular" cans than just a sweetner change. Perhaps one of the other "natural flavorings" used isn't kosher for passover so they substitute something else. Mexican coke tastes better than Kosher for Passover coke to me, but some of that might also be because I get mexican coke in glass bottles.

The glass bottle had an Oct07 expiration date, so it's two months old. The taste had thus changed accordingly. I'm sure this had the best potential for flavor, both cold or warm, but I didn't have a fresh enough sample. The 10oz bottles (with the old school foam peel-able bottle wrap label) aren't as popular in stores. Maybe because of the $3.99/6pk price tag. This one still tasted the best warm, and took second place to the non-kosher can cold.

sucrose
03-26-2007, 10:38 AM
I called the Cleveland Coca Cola center, and they said their geographic area for distribution is limited to Cuyahoga County, Ohio.

They said they have several production lines and that Coca Cola series products have always been made with Sucrose at that facility (years and years she said). They confirmed that their line for Sprite/Canada Dry uses HFCS.

If she spoke correctly, then it's kind of amusing that I've driven so many places looking for passover coke, but I may have had an unlimited supply at regular retail prices within a 90 mile drive.

Zap
03-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Wow, that is insane. I used to live in Columbus, I can't believe it was always within a close reach, yet I never knew about this! Not to mention I used to love Cherry Coke, and the thought of it made the right way is just crazy. A friend of mine may be willing to make the trek from Toledo to Cleveland just to get some. Too bad I'm so far away still. Maybe when he visits Columbus he can drop some with my family and they'll bring it here, LOL

Terry K
03-26-2007, 10:44 PM
We've got a winner: Dr Pepper from Coke-PT (Portales NM)

Threads going at Salute on this as well as this pic:

http://www.knab.org/realsugardp.jpg

Zap
03-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Yikes!! Where is this going to be available? Is this the nationwide rollout for Summer that didn't happen last year? If so, I'm excited!!

chrisok
03-29-2007, 01:43 AM
Dr. Pepper with sugar has been available from the DP bottler in Chickasha, OK (just southwest of Oklahoma City) for a couple of years now. They get it from Temple, TX.

popologist
03-29-2007, 12:35 PM
is sucrose the same as sugar?

doug1885
03-29-2007, 03:57 PM
popologist asked:
> is sucrose the same as sugar?

When it comes to U.S. soda labelling, it seems to be the same thing. Sucrose can either be cane sugar or beet sugar. I'm not sure if there's a significant taste difference between these varieties, though.

-Doug

sucrose
03-29-2007, 04:07 PM
from what I've read, with the refining process it's almost impossible to tell the difference between beet or cane sugar. a 5# bag at the grocery store labeled "sugar" could contain either. a brand marked Domino pure cane sugar would of course answer that question. but store brands might be either.

popologist
03-29-2007, 10:56 PM
ok thanks. well, i grew up in cuyahoga falls area (before i moved to nyc). so i guess i was drinking the good stuff years ago and didn't know it.

Popados
03-30-2007, 09:08 AM
I didn't even notice. I haven't bought any coke lately, aside from Coke Zero. I'm gonna get some today and check it out.

Xopher
03-30-2007, 12:03 PM
We've got a winner: Dr Pepper from Coke-PT (Portales NM)

Threads going at Salute on this as well as this pic:

http://www.knab.org/realsugardp.jpg

Thanks for the link to the great pic of the new 16-oz DP 12-packs. However, I've just been over to Salute site and looked at the threads on this. Don't see anything about the Dr Pepper from Portales NM plant. :confused: Where's this info? Thanks in advance.

Terry K
03-30-2007, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the link to the great pic of the new 16-oz DP 12-packs. However, I've just been over to Salute site and looked at the threads on this. Don't see anything about the Dr Pepper from Portales NM plant. :confused: Where's this info? Thanks in advance.

Those cans ARE from PT/Portales. I'm looking at my cans now...code PT.

Xopher
04-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Those cans ARE from PT/Portales. I'm looking at my cans now...code PT.

Ah ha! Thank you.

Terry K
04-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Folks I think this is big news. Not sure if it's part of a test market or what, but I was on my way to get Kosher coke in cans today, and I stumbled upon the following: bottling plant "CD" (Cleveland, OH) has been producing 100% sucrose-only Coca Cola & Cherry Coke at least two months ago based on the varying expiration dates I found. :eek: The prouct tastes clean and crisp, with no HFCS aftertaste, just like the Kosher for Passover or Mexican products.

I decided to check after reading the other day that new laws disallow the use of "and/or" terminology on food/beverage packaging labels.

This was confirmed at three retail stores in the Mayfield Heights area:
1) Costco-cases of 12oz cans
2) Giant Eagle-12oz 6pks, fridge packs, 2L bottles
3) Walmart-12oz fridge packs, 16.9oz bottles, 2L bottles, 12oz/20oz from vending machines
machines
4) Heinens-12oz 6pks, fridge packs, 2L bottles and the HOLY GRAIL: 6pks
of the short 10oz GLASS BOTTLES. :D :D

Heinens & Giant Eagle also had separate displays of Kosher for Passover 6pks that were made in KE (New York State).

I did notice that in every instance, the clear sodas were still using HFCS (Canada Dry & Sprite).

I had our crack research staff visit Cleveland and they turned up:
Classic Coke
Cherry Coke
Decaf Coke

All with real sugar!

The Decaf stuff is darn good!

On a side note, Beverage Digest got wind of this and turned up another place for this stuff: Bethlehem, PA.

The story goes that they're under contractual obligations to use real sugar :-D

fusion
04-23-2007, 07:42 PM
On a side note, Beverage Digest got wind of this and turned up another place for this stuff: Bethlehem, PA.

The story goes that they're under contractual obligations to use real sugar :-D

I had no idea. I just checked my can of Coke w/ Lime from there, and it's made with sucrose!

Bethlehem is a sister plant of Cleveland (both owned by Abarta). But you can get Bethlehem products in both of Abarta's east territories - around Bethlehem and also around Coatesville.

I'll be buying all my coke north of here from now.

The production code you are looking for is BH.

fusion
04-23-2007, 10:52 PM
I wonder if their Buffalo NY-area plant (code TW) uses sucrose as well. Anyone in that area who can confirm?

Mr Zabe
04-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Is it possible that this region (bottler) is some sort of market test?
Are the prices on average meeting or exceeding the prevailing market?

Gosh, what a wonderful thing if Coca Cola and the other Big Three could
change back to cane sugar. :)

fusion
04-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Doubtful. I think it's that they never switched to HFCS.

And with the talk of imported sugar coming to the US next year (next round of NAFTA), who knows, maybe all sodas will be made with sugar, since corn prices are rising due to ethanol.

Then again, in Brazil, cars run on sugar ethanol. Maybe we'd see those types of cars here if sugar was really cheap (the prices are kept artificially high in this country).

drpep
04-25-2007, 08:40 PM
I think Geneseo, NY gets Coke from Tonawanda. I may be passing by tomorrow and will check Tops.

01GTB
04-26-2007, 12:25 AM
So, the line of thinking here is that Bethlehem has stuck with sucrose all this time? Man, you would figure someone would have noticed and let the sugar freaks know about it :eek:

fusion
04-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Yes, since it's the same company as Cleveland, it would be somewhat of a logical conclusion.

I rarely buy Coke when I am in their territory - I only bought the Coke w/ Lime because we stopped distributing it in Maryland.

drpep
04-26-2007, 08:52 PM
I stopped in Geneseo today. The Coke was not from Tonawanda. I'm darn sure 2 years ago I picked up a Buffalo Bisons Coke can there. Anyways that can from 2005 is from Tonawanda and lists "high fructose corn syrup and/or sucrose"

janstett
06-27-2008, 09:40 AM
I only recently became aware of the HFCS/Sucrose issue (though like the Matrix I knew something was wrong).

So I had to know, and ordered Sucrose Coke & Vanilla Coke via sodafinder.com.

Then by chance I used a coke machine at work that I never use (usually drink Pepsi) and noticed something wonderful -- SUCROSE! By putting 2+2 together I figure that the subsidies on HFCS and tarrifs on sugar are being negated by other demand for corn such as ethanol and the price of sugar is starting to make sense again thus the switch.

I live in NJ and work in Allentown, PA. It appears that the eastern Pennsylvania bottlers have switched to sucrose. So now I stock up on Coke by work and bring it home.

But now I'm on a mission to taste sucrose Pepsi. I guess I have to wait for passover.

fusion
07-08-2008, 11:52 PM
If you or anyone you know is a Coke collector, I found something interesting on my last trip.

8.5 ounce aluminum cans of Coke and Coke Zero - like this:

http://www.bevnet.com/news/2008/02-20-2008-Coke.asp

I found them at the Hess Station off Schoenersville Rd in Bethlehem. Take the exit going north towards the LV airport, and the Hess is on the right side. I found them in there in a small cooler located at the register. $1.49 each. Made with HFCS, unfortunately.

fusion
07-08-2008, 11:57 PM
And after doing some research, I have found that most of the Coke that makes its' way to Abarta territory in Chester County PA is not sucrose. You can tell by looking at the ingredients list, or by looking near the date code, where they have printed "CRP." I usually have to dig through the shelf, looking for different date codes, hoping to find the real stuff.

ThePieHole
08-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Fusion,

My new wife and I just got back from our honeymoon in Belize, where we enjoyed many Coke products with cane sugar and in reused glass bottles (the Fanta was especially great). I'd love to surprise her by picking some up here with sucrose. I'm a Delaware resident as well (Newark), so driving up there is within my ability, but can you suggest some stores so I can narrow my search a little? Don't worry about addresses, if you give me the names (and ideally towns) I'm sure I can find them. I really appreciate man--thanks for hooking a new husband up.

ThePieHole
08-04-2008, 05:16 AM
Fusion,

No need to fill me in on locations, I ended up going later that day on the adventure up to Coatesville anyways. Here's the report for all of you in the Southeastern PA/Delaware/Northern Maryland area who can make it up to Coatesville:

I went to about 6 stores. Along the way, I also discovered some other beverages I'd never seen before--including those produced by Polar: Diet Orange Dry & Cape Cod Dry Cranberry (Regular and Diet), and also Frozen Run Black Bear Birch Beer (which is clear-colored).

Initially I had little success, but stuck at it, and found only Vanilla Coke with sucrose at the K-Mart. Purchased one 12-pack there, and kept going. At my fourth store (an Acme), I discovered Cherry Coke with sucrose, and purchased 2 12-packs (the Vanilla there also used sucrose, but not the regular Coke). Finally, as I was in essence on my way back home (but in a different direction than I had driven up), I ended up at the Wegmans in Downingtown, my last stop whether I was successful or not. There was a huge stacked display of Coke product 12 packs, and sure enough I found the Holy Grail of Carbonation. The packs tended to be grouped (I can provide production codes or dates if anyone requests them), but were certainly stacked on top of and right next to packs made with HFCS. I never saw anything on my trip that used sucrose except the 12 packs, so they seem to be the best bet.

Since I usually drink diet bevs, this should be a nice treat for the next couple of months until I can make another run up that way. Thanks to everyone on the board for the tip-offs, it's going to be a great surprise for my new wife when she returns home.