PDA

View Full Version : Passover Pepsi 2007

drpep
03-27-2007, 09:17 PM
How come no one is excited about Pepsi made for Passover? I found 2 liter bottles in Target today, first time I've seen Pepsi in years. It was on an endcap with 2 liter Passover Coke. The cap was white and the wrap was design 005 with HFCS listed as the sweetener.

Zap
03-27-2007, 11:25 PM
Are you sure you found KP Pepsi? All of the bottles I've found this year only list Sugar as the sweetener. I would think the label would have to at least say and/or to be legally correct. The Chicago KP Pepsi has a blue cap with the CRC logo on top.

Mr Zabe
03-28-2007, 12:12 AM
If it was made with HFCS then it was NOT Kosher for Passover!

drpep
03-28-2007, 11:40 AM
The end cap display sign said "for Passover" and the symbol on the Pepsi cap was similiar to the symbol on the Passover Coke cap displayed on the shelf below. All other Pepsi caps in the beverage aisle were blue and had a different bottler code than the white cap Pepsi. For some reason even the Diet Pepsi in the display had white bottle caps.

Lepke
03-28-2007, 12:30 PM
The cap should have a “KP” on it. The regular Pepsi sold the rest of the year will just have a “K”

Android
03-28-2007, 12:36 PM
also, maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I thought that Diet Pepsi couldn't be Kosher because of one of the anti-freezing agents it contains ?

USASODA
03-28-2007, 04:41 PM
As a collector of soft drink items, I invite you to look at this picture on my web site. http://www.usasoda.com/images/pcdiet5aa.jpg

drpep
03-28-2007, 08:41 PM
Giant Markets in Broome County, NY are advertising Diet Coke 2 liters "Kosher for Passover".

Lepke
03-29-2007, 03:48 PM
also, maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I thought that Diet Pepsi couldn't be Kosher because of one of the anti-freezing agents it contains ?
There is nothing in diet soda that would prohibit it from being kosher or kosher for Passover.

AzRocks
03-29-2007, 07:53 PM

I believe you are talking about the Diet Pepsi slurpie that is kosher, but it is dairy due to one of the anti-freezing agents

fusion
03-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there also the issue of the Rabbinical blessing having to be performed on the machinery after it is properly cleaned of all HFCS product before any Kosher for Passover product begins production? If so, not all diet sodas can be KP automatically.

Mr Zabe
03-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Fusion,
You are 100% correct.
Yes, all diet soda pop is not KP.

Lepke
03-29-2007, 11:40 PM
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there also the issue of the Rabbinical blessing having to be performed on the machinery after it is properly cleaned of all HFCS product before any Kosher for Passover product begins production? If so, not all diet sodas can be KP automatically.
It’s not about a blessing; the rabbis are observing the cleaning and the ingredients.
While the rabbis do pray when they perform these tasks they are not blessing the equipment.
Ultra orthodox Jews pray almost constantly. They pray before they wash there hands, while they are washing their hands, before they eat and after they eat. Before they have sex with their wives and after. The prayers are never ending.
So no they are not blessing the machinery they are observing that it is kosher and thanking G-D for the opportunity of overseeing the processes.
The blessing comes from G-D for having made the mitzvah of observing and certifying the kashrut.

Lepke
04-08-2007, 06:35 PM
As most of you know I’m a Pepsi drinker and while Coke will do in a pinch it’s not my drug of choice.

This Passover season I’ve had a hard time finding reasonable sales on 2 liter Pepsi, most of the time it’s not much of a sale at all. I’ve been seeing from four bottles for $5.00 to $1.59 a bottle (as if that’s a real sale). Most all of the stores I patronize have some KP Pepsi even if it is a high price.

When the new supermarket circulars came I scanned them for Pepsi sales as I always do. Only one store had a good price on 2 liter Pepsi. That was the A&P supermarket in Brick NJ. We hadn’t planed on shopping at A&P this week but the price was 10 for $10.00 so I had to check it out. There are a lot of Jews in Brick and even though I’ve not been able to find KP Pepsi in that store in previous years my hopes were high.

I went into the store while my wife and son stayed in the car. So I went in scanning for the tell tale white caps. There were cases and cases hundreds of bottles and not a single white cap to be found, not one. Out of curiosity I looked at the Coke section just to see if they had any KP Coke but there was not a single 2-liter bottle of regular Coke to be found. Not that I wanted it any way.

I left the store and got back in the car disappointed but not surprised, as this store was always a disappointment. They rarely have ample quantities of any thing that’s a good sale and their produce looks like it was picked out of a dumpster.
On our way to Path Mark supermarket we decided to stop at Big Lots as an after thought. Just to see what they had this week.

Low and behold they were running a sale on 2 liter Pepsi and to my astonishment it was all KP and at $1.00 a bottle to boot. I bought 10 bottles, as this was all my lovely wife would allow in one visit. I will be sure to find my way back this week to scoff up at least 10 more.

Path Mark did have KP Pepsi @ $1.59 a bottle, needless to say I didn’t buy any there.

I also noticed that they did not have a single bottle of 2 liter coke in the store even though they were fully stocked with only KP Coke just 5 days before.

I found the very same thing at the Shoprite in Lakewood NJ. Just days ago hundreds of bottles of KP Coke and no regular Coke, then 2 days ago 6 bottles of KP Coke on the shelf and that was it, no other 2 liter Coke in the store. It’s funny that 3 supermarkets would be completely out of 2 liter Coke at the same, two of the stores having huge quantities of KP just days before.

THANK YOU BIG LOTS.

01GTB
04-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Nice, Big Lots for the win!

Lepke
04-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Path Mark has 2 liter Pepsi on sale for 88˘ this week. Snagged 8 bottles of the stuff last night. The limit was 8 bottles, I should have gone back in and grabbed another 8.
They had about 20 bottles of KP Pepsi left, loads of 1 liter KP Dr. Browns and no KP Coke, witch does not surprise me because this store didn’t have a single 2 liter bottle in the store a few days ago.

fusion
04-21-2007, 12:03 AM
KP Pepsi has made its' way to Maryland. I thought it was odd that I saw old label Pepsi 2 liters with white caps in a few stores today, until I looked and saw the caps had KP on top. Talk about surprised...

It was produced by plant PY (Piscataway NJ).

Lepke
04-21-2007, 12:44 PM
KP Pepsi has made its' way to Maryland. I thought it was odd that I saw old label Pepsi 2 liters with white caps in a few stores today, until I looked and saw the caps had KP on top. Talk about surprised...

It was produced by plant PY (Piscataway NJ).
Did you buy any?

Lepke
04-23-2007, 12:44 AM
This week at Shoprite 2-liter Pepsi is on sale for 95˘. I hit 3 Shoprite stores before noon in the hope of finding some of my precious, but alas not a bottle was to be found. There was one more store in my area I figured I’d check out later but figured they wouldn’t have any because their supplies before Passover were short and it’s not really a nice store.
I did make a stop at Big Lots on the off chance they still had some left from Easter Sunday.

And guess what? Big Lots came through again, they has 5 bottles left at $1.00 a pop.

Then later I went food shopping and decided to try the crappy Shoprite I had skipped earlier in the day. Low and behold I found 3 more and scoffed them up for a total of 8 bottles of KP Pepsi for the day.

I am however kicking myself for not going hunting earlier in the week or earlier in the day for that mater.

It just goes to show that even though Passover has passed over, you can still get lucky.

Lepke
04-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Found myself in a K Mart today (I never go to K Mart) and found KP Pepsi there. I was not looking for that I was looking for a new trackball but noticed the Pepsi in passing.
They had about 50 bottles at $1.49. I didn’t buy any because I’m not desperate enough to spend $1.49 (YET).

If you have not gotten any KP real sugar goodness it’s not to late.

fusion
04-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Kmart is a Pepsi-friendly chain, so they tend to run some decent ads - check back next week, it'll probably be on sale.

You can also view their ads online. The food items on sale are generally on the back page.

Kmart - Weekly Circular (http://kmart.shoplocal.com/kmart/default.aspx?action=nuep&adref=homepage_footer)

Lepke
04-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Kmart is a Pepsi-friendly chain, so they tend to run some decent ads - check back next week, it'll probably be on sale.

You can also view their ads online. The food items on sale are generally on the back page.

Kmart - Weekly Circular (http://kmart.shoplocal.com/kmart/default.aspx?action=nuep&adref=homepage_footer)
Thanks for the tip Fusion.
With any luck they will put Pepsi on sale this weekend and still have the goods when I get there.

Maybe I should go back and rearrange the shelf with the KP stuff in back and out of the way. It’s not like I haven’t done that before.

My friends and family think I’m crazy. They may be right I may be crazy.

Anyway thanks again for the tip and the link.