PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Coke...

shadowlp06
04-11-2007, 12:43 AM
Ok, I was up at my mom's this weekend w/ my girlfriend and she told me she had a suprise for me. Well, my brother's wife had stopped by a hispanic grocery store and picked up some Coca-Cola made w/ sugar in a "Medio Litro" bottle. Sure enough, I read the translated label that was slapped on it and it read, "sugar". I was hyped!!! My mom said, "this is what Coke used to taste like when I was a kid".

I LOVED IT!!! I even poured me a glass of HFCS Coke and did a mini-taste test. Love the Coke w/ the sugar!!!

Anyways I have two questions. When I got back home I began looking at local grocers for the same thing. I came across a hispanic section at Albertson's and they had Coca-Cola there too! Similar bottles, said made in Mexico on them. But my question is this. On this label it read "ade with...high fructose, corn syrup and/or sucrose." Is sucrose sugar? Or was this batch actually made w/ good old HFCS, or is it just a standardized label?

Ok, one more question...if Coca-Cola was originally made w/ sugar, then why is this formula out now still labeled "original formula"?

Food for thought...

Thanks!!!!

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-11-2007, 10:46 AM
¡Buen Provecho! It's good to know you like it! :)

Probably that label is an standarized label, cause Coca-Cola from here is made with cane sugar...

jmyjunk
04-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Ok, one more question...if Coca-Cola was originally made w/ sugar, then why is this formula out now still labeled "original formula"?

That has nothing to do with the ingredients of the original formula. This was from the New Coke fiasco, and was placed on Coke Classic cans to make sure consumers knew this was the "original formula"
This "original formula" had a much more prominent place on the can, with a flowing script. Then it was downsized over the years, until it was demote to the ingredient side of the can.

fusion
04-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Well.. the formula is still the same, but the sweetener has changed.

When I explain Coke Zero to people, I tell them it's the same formula as Coke Classic, but with artificial sweeteners. Diet Coke starts out with a completely different formula before sweetener(s) is(are) added.

jmyjunk
04-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Well.. the formula is still the same, but the sweetener has changed.

With out getting into a debate with the semantics of the word, to me, formula means recipe. If the recipe calls for cane sugar as part of the ingredients, touting the drink as Original Formula, that comes with HFCS is miss leading. And I highly doubt the original formula called for corn syrup. But I guess that is open for interpretation.

In fact, Canadian Coke Classic never had Original formula logo, rather Original Taste.To miss that exactly tells me what Coke Classic is.
Though I often wonder if that was easier to translate into French than Formula.