PDA

View Full Version : Accelerate by Cadbury Schweppes

illusionh20
04-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Gatorade wil have to face new competitor named Accelerate
Cadbury Schweppes is working on the biggest launch in the firm's beverage history behind Accelerade, a sports drink that is about to try to penetrate a category which has been dominated by Gatorade for a long time.

How advanced would this new sports drink product, have to be to tackle the selling power of Gatorade?

Mr Zabe
04-14-2007, 09:13 PM
IMO I do not think this new sports drink will cut into Gatorade's market share.
This is a good article.

Cadbury's Objective: Make Gatorade Sweat (http://www.brandweek.com/bw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003568787)

fusion
04-15-2007, 02:36 AM
If this is going to be distributed by 3rd tier bottlers, I don't hold out a lot of hope for it, unfortunately.

David J.
04-15-2007, 11:18 AM
LOL, I work at Price Chopper, and when we had the store brand Sport Drink, KICK on sale, I think ten for ten, we only sold like three of them.

So no, I don't think this product will do well. :(

illusionh20
04-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Can anyone tell me what makes a "legitimate sports drink"?

Revised: Article breakdown

Sports drinks are supposed to replenish and hydrate.

sub categories ????:

pre workout

post workout

Gatorade

Our scientifically proven formula works for athletes. Protein is for post workout. It's an active ingredient that helps recovery. They are two different things

Accelerade

a protein enhanced sports drink that allows athletes to get the most out of their workout and their exercise. The 4:1 carbohydrate to protein ratio has been clinically proven to enhance endurance by 29% over ordinary sports drinks

Market Strength:

Accelerade

Endurance athletes have used it in powder form for years.

One can assume that it more of a niche and turned into a RTD for the mainstream
and mass market.

It will be sweeter in composition.

Gatorade

Gatorade has evolved into an every day refreshment beverage

One can assume it is a mainstream beverage that the mass market consumes.

It will remain the same.

Observation:

I am just trying to get my head around the fact that Gatorade would be pretty hard to match, it could always spin off a product to take on Accelerade. Maybe Recoverade (http://www.ozbevnet.com).

Is there any others from the states that have a good market position?

OTHER PLAYERS

Kellogg - Special K Protein Water and Muscle Milk

Powerade - Coke

Any niches being filled with a small player in the USA.

:confused:

illusionh20
04-15-2007, 07:11 PM
IMO I do not think this new sports drink will cut into Gatorade's market share.
This is a good article.

Cadbury's Objective: Make Gatorade Sweat (http://www.brandweek.com/bw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003568787)

$50 million marketing campaign

Hmmm the fact Gatorade is not sickly sweet does not mean a competitor with the sweetness factor is going to have an impact, as for throwing $$$$ around I think Gatorade could respond and undermine the strength of the marketing campaign. Bevnet must be licking their lips with the upcoming advertising dollars coming to market.

greg
04-16-2007, 11:59 AM
I like the ingredient profile of Accelerade. I believe, as does CS, that the protein during exercise is beneficial as anit catabolism (muscle), Can help in maintaining hydration, and help with endurance due to critical amino acids warding off muscle fatigue.

It may be a niche market at first but so was RB and Gatorade.
The direction I see today in the C-store category is that they are becoming small Health Food Stores. I know that sounds funny, but look around next time you are in one. There are healthier drinks in the Cold Vault, protein Bars in the aisle and fruit at the check out.

greg
04-16-2007, 12:12 PM
Can anyone tell me what makes a "legitimate sports drink"?

Revised: Article breakdown

Sports drinks are supposed to replenish and hydrate.

sub categories ????:

pre workout

post workout

Gatorade

Accelerade

OTHER PLAYERS

[/B]Kellogg - Special K Protein Water and Muscle Milk

Powerade - Coke

Any niches being filled with a small player in the USA.

:confused:

Pre and Post Workout Drinks I believe are more of your "GYM" drinks. The gatorade and Accelerade are more for the sports enthusists. i.e weekend tennis player, cyclist, hiker, runner,etc.
A Small player, actually in the scheme of things used to be CytoSport. The parent company of Muscle Milk. They had a good drink called CytoMax that had about 1/3 -1/2 the amount of sugar. I don't know hat happend to that drink.
Then there was AllSport that was made by Pepsi but sold I believe to Monarch Brands after the Quaker Oats deal(Gatorade). This stuff was nasty in my opinion because it was carbonated. Carbonation in a rehydration drink is not a good idea in my opinion. Monarch has since taken the carbonation out and reintroduced it.I don't see it anywhwere.

As far as the Kellogs Special K and Muscle Milk goes I don't see them as sports drinks that would compete against Gatorade. Special K is just water with a little
protein in it. Muscle Milk is a Protein Drink used for Muscle anabolism and muscle maintenance.

Pwerade has it's followes but it may be the only true target for Acceleerade to go after right now. If it does a good job and takes over the number 2 spot it would still be pretty good sales.
g

fusion
04-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Saw a shelf tag for this today in a Supervalu-owned supermarket. $2.19 for a 20oz bottle - warehouse delivered, not DSD.

fusion
05-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Paid $2.49 tonight for one at a local 7-11. I bought the mountain berry flavor. Similar to Powerade's mountain blast, but a slightly bitter aftertaste.

I like the grip feeling of the bottle, but the label is just too busy.

label has "distributed under the authority of Motts LLP, Rye Brook NY"

DrPepperYummy
05-10-2007, 04:10 PM
How advanced would this new sports drink product, have to be to tackle the selling power of Gatorade?

Well I'm not sure anyone is going to tackle gatorade with where its at in the sports world... every team uses it... thee end... (well okay I've seen some teams use other weird things but for the majority)

So I don't think they are holding the dream of tackling the giant just getting a wedge of the pie and getting the foot in the door from people who are just sick of gatorade since they've been drinking it and looking for something similar but maybe other flavors or different tastes in similar flavors... I'm not sure they can bring too many new customers to the category so I think its just stealing a couple percent and hoping some day to hit double digits.

I guess I should go take a look at powerade and see how well they've been able to do over this time period to see what kind of dent they've been able to make. I see it all the same stores I would expect to see cadbury and the key will come down to pricing... this will be one time they can't afford to come off as a "premium" brand and will have to get down and dirty by being that brand thats 10 cents cheaper... lol.

Untill many others come to the game, I think this is like the energy drink category... one company rules it till everyone and their mother made one up to cash in, but the dollars aren't as high so I don't see dozens of guys in garages making brands to compete so the king will stay king, just with a few new jesters in 2008.

Mr Zabe
05-10-2007, 04:49 PM
I agree with DPYummy.
The sports drink catagory has the ultimate barrier to entry.
Gatorade!!!!! Enough said. LOL (Said in jest.)

BevNET
05-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Agreed. Accelerate doesn't seem to have what it takes to go up against Gatorade, or even Powerade. Plus, it has Cadbury behind it.

Review coming soon.

Mr Zabe
05-11-2007, 06:53 AM
Gatorade's new promotion.

Gatorade scores big movie role :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Business (http://www.suntimes.com/business/381319,CST-FIN-Gator11.article)

DrPepperYummy
05-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Agreed. Accelerate doesn't seem to have what it takes to go up against Gatorade, or even Powerade. Plus, it has Cadbury behind it.

Review coming soon.

Hey now don't knock cadbury too much... where we've seen ABC or AABC bottlers and were bought up and transformed into CSBG, they seem to be doing a lot better with distribution and quicker to market times with products but they need to keep buying up distributors to give themselves more of a power over larger regions/states than having a fraction of it...

Assuming some equity firm or retirement group doesn't buy them up and ruin the entire company, I think they've got a chance to really keep growing and becoming more of a force in the industry as they gobble up distributors. Wow I must have taken a positive pill today usually I'm grumpy and negative by friday. I'm going to go fire someone now so I don't ruin my image. lol

BhamCokeman
05-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Powerade is growing at a tremendous rate here. Grocery companies have went up on Gatorade again, and most C stores have it at 1.89 or 1.99. You can get a 32oz Powerade anywhere from .79 to 1.09 and that is making a big difference. We are taking it to Gatorade at this time. Like I said it might just be a Southern thing. In Baton Rouge(part of Coca Cola United like Bham), they have a higher share than Gatorade. We need more flavors and hopefully that is something the company will give us eventually.

Dr Pepper 70
05-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Accelerate is not in Cadbury bottlers house yet in Texas. They are running it through the retailers warehouse. My opinion is that this is a mistake. In Texas Cadbury is no 3rd bottler. #1 in some markets.

CStoreCatMan
05-30-2007, 05:08 PM
I don't this product is going to fare well. First, if a 20oz bottle is retailing for over $2...that is a problem. How many times have you seen Gatorade 32oz at 10/$10 or even 89 cents?

Gatorade's market share is "almost" untouchable...Powerade has been in the market for over 15 years and has slowly managed to build its share into the teens (nationwide...it is much weaker in some areas). This is okay, but really speaks the brand equity Gatorade has. Additionally, Powerade's success has come as a result of low retails...

I think Cadbury-Schweppes is going to be disappointed...

fusion
05-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Anyone else see the BOGO coupon banner ad on this thread (and others?) for 7-11?

illusionh20
06-13-2007, 04:22 PM

Review coming soon.

Looking forward to the review. :)

Mr Zabe
06-21-2007, 08:48 AM
No,I'm not making a joke. LOL

I saw on this morning's FOX And Friends show that some
ultramarathon guy is doing a 24 hour treadmill run in Time Square.
LOL...he was drinking Accelerate and praising how this
"state of the art" sports drink was fueling his run.

No joke, he said on his ultra runs he eats a pizza and a small
cheese cake for for endurance. Yes I'm did not smoke my
breakfast and I'm sober. LOLOLOL

DrPepperYummy
06-22-2007, 03:54 PM
No,I'm not making a joke. LOL

I saw on this morning's FOX And Friends show that some
ultramarathon guy is doing a 24 hour treadmill run in Time Square.
LOL...he was drinking Accelerate and praising how this
"state of the art" sports drink was fueling his run.

No joke, he said on his ultra runs he eats a pizza and a small
cheese cake for for endurance. Yes I'm did not smoke my
breakfast and I'm sober. LOLOLOL

I saw this on the news and all I could think was... its fantastic they are getting some media for this in a fun way, unfortunately they haven't even rolled it out across america yet... I guess only select areas and select chains. That just seems silly to put something behind it and not have it available everywhere.

Ya think maybe delays becuase of the big selloff of the company or?

BriGuy20
09-02-2007, 06:15 AM
Don't see Accelerade as much of a threat to Gatorade. It might take the hardcore whey protein mixin' muscles crowd. If it does do well, Gatorade is a line extension away from wiping the floor with Accelerade. If Coke can't take down Gatorade, it's going to be near-impossible for Cadbury/Schweppes to.

I do think VitaminWater is the greatest threat to Gatorade, I see it eventually selling about 30-40% of the volume that Gatorade sells.

fusion
06-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Saw on clearance at a Martin's (Giant-Carlisle) store, 89 a bottle.

fusion
08-10-2009, 09:46 PM
I was thinking about this drink the other day, and I went and re-read the original article, and visited their website. This product must be dead in the water, I don't see it anywhere anymore, and the website is 2 years outdated.

Wonder how many at Cadbury lost their jobs over this fumble?