PDA

View Full Version : w00t... Glaceau VitaminEnergy drinks!

DrPepperYummy
04-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Well from the people who you would think made an energy drink... they made an energy drink!

http://www.bevnet.com/news/2007/04-17-2007-Glaceau_Energy.asp

bevnet posted a small article about this so go check it out... 3 flavors...

BriGuy20
04-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Interesting. I'm receptive to it if a) they don't use HFCS, b) it has comparable caffeine to other energy drinks, and c) if I can actually find it on store shelves.

fusion
04-19-2007, 10:40 PM
yes, no, who knows.

Ron Swedelson
04-20-2007, 11:16 AM
This company amazes me. More so for their sales than anything else. This brand is incredibly popular, but I got to tell you, I don't like it. It tastes like mom doubled up the water and forgot to add the sugar to the kool-aid. I'm a fan of water, so the light flavoring doesn't do anything for me. I am sure there is a mass majority of people who wouldn't drink any water if it werent for Glaceau, and thats probably were they get most of their busines from. Just pop a flintstone vitamin and you are better off. But hey, their product sells like crazy, and you can't take anything away from that.

BriGuy20
04-20-2007, 02:38 PM
I admit that sometimes their taste leaves something to be desired, but I think there's a market for people that don't want as strong/artificial a taste as Gatorade, but still want flavor in their water.

I'm even more surprised that one of the big 3 (Coke/Pepsi/Cadbury) didn't pick them up (Tata did).

greg
04-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Evidently Glaceau Is doing something right. Coke and Pepsi couldn't get the marketing right for their respective brands to make it. Go Figure!!!!!!!

DrPepperYummy
04-20-2007, 04:14 PM
I admit that sometimes their taste leaves something to be desired, but I think there's a market for people that don't want as strong/artificial a taste as Gatorade, but still want flavor in their water.

I'm even more surprised that one of the big 3 (Coke/Pepsi/Cadbury) didn't pick them up (Tata did).

The "big 3" weren't given a chance to pick them up... glaceau has every intention if remaining a closely held private company and not owned by a large distributor or a public ipo at this time... they know there is far more value than the billions these companies are offering to buy them up for now, they've been doubling sales every year and have no sign of slowing down as they just bumped propel from the #1 spot it seems in many markets...

so I'm sure they will ride this out for years to come and then you might see a sale sign on the door while its still growing strong and they expand with even more flavors and products, I'm sure jumping into energy drinks (which I think is what they originally started as an energy drink company) is just a line of things to come...

greg
04-20-2007, 05:53 PM
The "big 3" weren't given a chance to pick them up... glaceau has every intention if remaining a closely held private company and not owned by a large distributor or a public ipo at this time... they know there is far more value than the billions these companies are offering to buy them up for now, they've been doubling sales every year and have no sign of slowing down as they just bumped propel from the #1 spot it seems in many markets...

so I'm sure they will ride this out for years to come and then you might see a sale sign on the door while its still growing strong and they expand with even more flavors and products, I'm sure jumping into energy drinks (which I think is what they originally started as an energy drink company) is just a line of things to come...

I wasn't talking about being bought up by one of them. I was talking about the offerings of Aquafina and the Dasani by Pepsi and Coke that had vitamins in them. Neither did well. Perhaps they were either before their time or P and C didn't give them enough time to mature as brand extensions.

fusion
04-20-2007, 11:48 PM
Dasani Nutriwater never made it out of test market.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.08/images/ST_waters_38_6.jpg

Aquafina Essentials was released more broadly, but never caught on.

http://www.cool-drinks.com/Images/MultiV.gif

Pepsi came back with Aquafina Alive, Coke with H2Odwalla and Dasani Plus (and CCBCC with Respect).

Canada Dry has almost quadrupled their sales of vitaminwater over last year in this area. And now we're seeing more flavors (like xxx) and new packages, like the 4 pack 12oz and 32oz singles.

DudeMan
04-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Pepsi also came back with SoBe LifeWater. Not sure how it's doing but I think it's got a better standing chance than Dasani or Aquafina extensions. SoBe is regarded as more of a premium brand where as Dasani and Aquafina are basically tap water.

Vitaminwater has great marketing: The "medicinal" look of the label with a paragraph of text on the front, two-tone label (which SoBe Lifewater tried to copy and lost in court), even the press release is witty and all in lower case. They seem very image-concerned and image is everything in this business.

I think VitaminEnergy will find its niche. They will probably grab more market share from Red Bull and maybe RockStar than the more male/agressive brands like Monster or Full Throttle.

My $0.017 ($0.02 Canadian)

Popados
04-23-2007, 08:50 AM
I tried the yellow vitamin energy drink yesterday and I wasn't impressed. I expected more of a tartness that most energy drinks have. But the flavor was sweeter.

DrPepperYummy
04-23-2007, 05:19 PM
I tried the yellow vitamin energy drink yesterday and I wasn't impressed. I expected more of a tartness that most energy drinks have. But the flavor was sweeter.

That might be the whole idea of their spin... they don't want to clone every other energy drink with the same expectations from the consumer on the bland gross taste (personal opinion of course), they want to create an image of exactly what it says on the bottle, which to me says functionality and taste... a lot of people said they just don't care for the taste of energy drinks which is why everyone started coming out with flavors to bring those people over... everyone seems to have a juice flavor...

granted I just can't stomach energy drinks cause I get sick from everything
I've ever tried, so I'll stick to waters but hey at least when I looked at the shelf, glaceau energy drinks REALLY stood out among the field of core brands plus stores that carried the oddballs... what a package to capture the attention of people looking at a set. (even on the sets where it was on the much lower shelves, it draws your eyes down, I wonder how much money they spent on the research of designing their bottle colors)

greg
04-25-2007, 11:17 AM

OOPS! MEA CULPA.....Looks like you spoke too soon! Did you see the front page on Bevnet this morning?http://www.bevnet.com/news/2007/04-24-2007-Glaceau_Coke_vitaminwater.asp

asexymind
04-25-2007, 05:56 PM
I will say, the one thing that upsets or just annoys me about the vitaminenergy drinks is their "claims." Did anyone else catch this? The "new era" "evolution of energy drinks?"

They critique other energy drinks for the caffeine content - then say that they put "purposeful" amounts of caffeine in the drink!

As if the fact that they "purposefully" chose the amount of caffeine is somehow going to change the effects on the body. I suppose that no other energy drinks were purposeful in the amount of caffeine they chose...

The thing that doesn't surprise but does dismay me is that no one challenges them - What about their product is new? That they don't use HFCS? That they use C and B vitamins?

The only thing I can see is that it has Ribose in it? However, when Ribose has been studied in exercise tests to see if it makes a difference, 4 of the 5 studies I researched showed zero significant effect, and the 1 postive was 2-3% more endurance. Most importantly, they were using 20-50 GRAMS of Ribose in a day for the tests. How much does Ribose does vitaminenergy have per serving? 100mg? maybe? So, if you drink 200 servings, you have a 20% probablility of noticing a 2-3% effect? THIS is the next evolution of drinks?

Then again, it isn't much new in the energy drink world, but glaceau caters to the "intelligent" "smart" market. Just boggles my mind.

DrPepperYummy
04-26-2007, 04:14 AM
OOPS! MEA CULPA.....Looks like you spoke too soon! Did you see the front page on Bevnet this morning?http://www.bevnet.com/news/2007/04-24-2007-Glaceau_Coke_vitaminwater.asp

Thats all the world needs, for coke to pickup another product and ruin it too by putting it on the backburner to cola... sure the day after I mention nobody has been able to suck them up yet someone puts a story out there lol.

I wonder how coke would handle the distribution of its vitaminwater drink some places are distributing or planned to, I can't imagine glaceau would allow any other companies vitamin in their portfolio... I've heard people saying h2odwalla or something and other products?

Although I just plain hope they don't get it... I'd rather have the rumor about tata buying up the beverage side of cadbury before I see coke back-burner another product.

fusion
05-24-2007, 03:15 PM
I tried the dragonfruit one today.. Much too bitter for my tastes.