PDA

View Full Version : Coke Zero a big "10" for Coca-Cola Company... sales up.

popologist
04-18-2007, 07:52 AM
here's a link from Bloomberg News. Coke Zero's sales were up 10% in the US last quarter, and, around the globe, helped give Coca-Cola its best performance since 1994.

Bloomberg.com: U.S. (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=awZhwNMHbThs)

and here's another article saying that Coke Zero is "Coke's Hero" and because of robust sales and boost to Coke's stock price, Coca-Cola's market value has passed Pepsi's again (i believe Pepsi's passed Coke's overall market value sometime late last year for the first time).

this article also says that Coke Zero is adding new customers, as opposed to cannibalizing sales of other Coke products.

Beverage World (http://www.beverageworld.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&Itemid=92&id=6585)

Mr Zabe
04-18-2007, 08:17 AM
I read this morning a business report on Coke Zero in my local paper as well.
This is great news indeed.

popologist
04-18-2007, 08:29 AM
the second article says that coke zero has 1% market share right now. so it's just shy of the Top Ten, as many of us predicted. it still has a ways to go though, but getting it into soda fountains is probably the next step. most of the Top Ten sodas are represented in restaurants and fast food places.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Definetely this is great news!

The release of Coca-Cola Zero in some european markets and Latin America, the region that drinks more soda in the world, definetely gave a big boost to the sales of The Coca-Cola Company... now let's hope that Coca-Cola maintains that sales percentage next quarter...

Respect the second article, as I previously said in another thread, Coca-Cola and Diet Coke/Coca-Cola Light won't lose consumers, because they already have loyal customers that are accustomed to the taste of Coca-Cola or Diet Coke/Coca-Cola Light...

illusionh20
04-18-2007, 01:55 PM
That is the trillion dollar question, with the latest research coming out, that slams diet drinks and the damage it does to tooth enamel.

The mass market will soon acquire the knowledge and make an informed decision on "Coke Zero". Is it really the "healthier" alternative?

Maybe if you are drinking a serving a week, and sucking it with a straw.

Short term sales of "Coke Zero" look good but long term is another story. The trend of sky rocketing sales of energy drinks and milk based drinks will continue.

Here is a little interesting look back in the past, Americans were drinking
a healthy beverage in 1966 more than the less healthier alternative.

In the past 40 years, many Americans have swapped nutrient (http://www.livescience.com/php/trivia/index.php?quiz=nutritionquiz)-dense milk (http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/050711_ap_cloned_milk.html) for sodas (http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/060105_soda_cancer.html) and other beverages (http://www.livescience.com/environment/051220_bottled_water.html) that are mostly bereft of nutrients. In 1966, Americans drank, on average, 20 gallons of soft drinks and 33 gallons of milk. In 2003, Americans drank an average of 46 gallons of soft drinks and 22 gallons of milk. Milk contains minerals, proteins, vitamins and, most importantly, calcium.

Link (http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/070321_soda_teeth.html)

Another worrying health issue is the nutritional value of "Diet Coke".

``They are not real food and have no nutritional value.''
Diet drinks replaced water and milk in the diet and therefore, essential nutrients.
``We should give a clear message that sweet drinks, no matter what the sweetening agent, are not everyday foods and should be reserved for those occasional birthday and holiday treats,'' Murphy said.

Link (http://www.stuff.co.nz/thepress/3983887a21295.html)

illusionh20
04-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Analysts say much of the rise is a result of strong growth in emerging markets where consumers aren't bored by sodas

My opinion.

The rise is a result of strong growth in emerging markets where consumers aren't as educated as the consumers of the North American Market

popologist
04-18-2007, 05:57 PM
i'd REALLY like to see Coke buy Snapple and/or Arizona Tea. they're two, established & popular brands that Coke wouldn't have to try to recreate from scratch.

mjb1124
04-18-2007, 07:37 PM
I don't think a Snapple acquisition would fly with the FTC. And haven't they tried to buy AriZona in the past?

Oh, and GO ZERO!

popologist
04-18-2007, 10:53 PM
they may be able to buy tea companies, since they don't monopolize that market; however, you're right, they couldn't buy schweppes.

i think they considered buying arizona in the past but they decided it costed too much, but i'm not sure...

I don't think a Snapple acquisition would fly with the FTC. And haven't they tried to buy AriZona in the past?

Oh, and GO ZERO!

popologist
04-21-2007, 05:23 AM
i've noticed more people i work with drinking coke zero & cherry coke zero. we have coca-cola vending machines in my office, but they don't sell coke zero (yet); so, people are bringing in their own (i've got mine hidden all around the office). ;)

also, the other day some girl mentioned in casual conversation how she tried cherry coke zero at a party and how she wouldn't have known it was diet if someone hadn't told her. the other lady was skeptical and said "you guys just don't know what the real stuff tastes like..."

but the both of us reassured her how good coke zero tastes.

Mr Zabe
04-21-2007, 07:16 AM
LOL
She said "real stuff"? LOLOLOLOLOLOL
I wonder if that lady knew (NOT!) that
she was speaking to a genuine soda pop freak (my slang for expert)?
My how funny!!!!!!

fusion
04-21-2007, 07:32 AM
And that her version of the "real stuff" is probably completely different than ours.

Glass bottle, pure cane sugar. Now that's what I call the "real stuff."

pepsidew
04-21-2007, 08:56 AM
As a pepsi guy, it sucks to see coke zero doing so well but how much of this volume is from cans - or plastic? what kind of profit is coke zero really offering them

popologist
04-21-2007, 09:07 AM
coke zero's success is kind of relative. the reason it's hailed as the best thing since diet coke is because... most of the soda market is declining, but coke zero is growing rapidly.

even so, it still sells less than diet mountain dew and diet dr pepper (at least for now). each of them have 1.4% market share... which puts them at #9 and #10 best-selling sodas of 2006. coke zero has about a 1% market share... so it still has to grow steadily for a few more years to break the top 10.

As a pepsi guy, it sucks to see coke zero doing so well but how much of this volume is from cans - or plastic? what kind of profit is coke zero really offering them

fusion
04-21-2007, 11:01 PM
Coke Zero is a can brand, but that may be a biased answer, since the area I work in skews towards cans as a general rule. The 8 packs of 12oz bottles also do fairly well. 2L and 20oz move slower, in my experience.

popologist
04-22-2007, 06:18 AM
most people i know who buy coke zero, buy cans or 20 oz. most are also single guys in their 20s.

i buy mostly cans, but also 1.5 liters as well.

fusion
06-04-2007, 08:58 PM
We just started carrying 24 packs of Coke Zero - it'll be interesting to see how they do.

amyers
06-04-2007, 09:31 PM
I wish we would carry 24 packs, we've only got 18 packs of Coke, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, Diet Dr. Pepper. I wish we still had VAULT in 18 packs. :|

Ram0n C0keah0lic
06-24-2007, 02:58 AM
Guess what!... because of the great success that Coca-Cola Zero had here... now there's Coca-Cola Zero in 2 liter bottles here in my area!... WEEEEEEEEEE! :D :D :D

popologist
06-24-2007, 12:50 PM
has coke zero been getting more shelf space lately in your areas (as compared to last year)?

i'd definitely say yes in my area. it's much easier to find 12 packs especially. and i've been finding cherry coke zero a lot now too.

what about you guys?

meetingpeopleiseasy
06-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Ive been ordering Coke Zero when I go to Wendy's. It's good stuff out of the fountain.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
06-24-2007, 04:04 PM
has coke zero been getting more shelf space lately in your areas (as compared to last year)?

what about you guys?

I absolutely say yes... since its release, here you can find Coca-Cola Zero in every supermarket, grocery store, pharmacy or c-store... in different sizes: 8 oz. can, 12 oz. can and 600 ml, 1 liter and 2 liter bottles... and also in fountain at Costco and Burger King... I haven't seen if the fountains of McDonalds and Sam's Club have Coke Zero...

Mr Zabe
06-24-2007, 04:38 PM
I may of already said this..:)
Coke Zero is selling well and it (at least the stores by me)
has nearly equal facings as diet coke.

fusion
06-24-2007, 09:14 PM
It seems to really be picking up in 20oz as well, at least around here.

Cherry Zero is flying off the shelves, so much so that we got rid of Diet Cherry Coke a few weeks ago. I've only had one person ask for it since, and they bought Cherry Zero after I told them Diet Cherry was gone.

Vanilla Zero is a little slower going at the moment, though. Apparently it's only canned in certain places - our last delivery came all the way from Texas!

popologist
06-25-2007, 12:14 AM
i think the flavor extensions are going to help sales a lot.

fusion
07-03-2007, 08:37 PM
I received an email today - Coke Zero is now at Papa John's.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/garya/zero-papa.jpg

Ram0n C0keah0lic
07-04-2007, 12:37 AM
Cool ad! thanks fusion!

JMHX316
07-06-2007, 10:01 PM
In my area, Coke has increased it's facings (now equal to or > DC) due to supply 'problems,' it was constantly selling out. As for flavors, Cherry has been selling well, VaniLLa not so much....

fusion
07-06-2007, 10:48 PM
I think we'll see Zero in 2007's top ten - Coke is expecting 50% growth in the brand, and we are seeing lots of new package availability. I bet we'll see 8oz cans before long.

Mr Zabe
07-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Good point.
The 8oz can appears to be moving by my parts.
Coke Zero 8oz IMO would move quiet well.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
07-07-2007, 12:27 AM
I think we'll see Zero in 2007's top ten - Coke is expecting 50% growth in the brand, and we are seeing lots of new package availability. I bet we'll see 8oz cans before long.
I already found 8oz cans at walmart in the 8packs the other day

popologist
07-07-2007, 08:55 AM

i think you and jmhx are both right. coke zero is EVERYWHERE now. it used to be that i had to go hunting for it; but, now... i can find most versions more places.

as for making the Top Ten... will they be including all versions of coke zero under the same umbrella for now... or will they be broken up? if they're grouped together, it will almost surely make the top ten... if not, then it may take another year.

we'll see.

fusion
07-07-2007, 06:42 PM
I already found 8oz cans at walmart in the 8packs the other day

That was quick. I knew they were coming, but not when. I also saw shelf tags for 24oz 6pk Zero, which I did see in Grove City OH previously.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/garya/24oz6pks.jpg

(I cropped a roadtrip picture I took last year).

Ram0n C0keah0lic
07-07-2007, 11:29 PM
And now... Coca-Cola Zero 2 liter in all the OXXO C-stores... YAAY!

popologist
07-08-2007, 06:07 AM
8 ounce cans are the short, stubby, half-cans i've seen in six packs? is that what you're talking about?

Mr Zabe
07-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Yes, those are them.

fusion
07-08-2007, 07:51 AM
8 ounce cans are the short, stubby, half-cans i've seen in six packs? is that what you're talking about?

You can also find them in 8 packs at many Wal- Mart locations.

popologist
07-08-2007, 09:59 AM
walmart is banned from NYC. :(