PDA

View Full Version : my soda is expired! can i still drink it?!?

popologist
04-21-2007, 01:25 PM
hi. i just realized that my last remaining cans of C2 expired on Jan22 of 07... it's now april...

can i still drink it? it's been refrigerated. thanks!

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-21-2007, 02:19 PM
You can drink it but at your own risk, probably a third eye would came out of your forehead... :eek:

Just kidding! It's ok, you can drink it, probably it will taste different but there's no risk... it happened to me all the time, but don't keep the cans too much time or a big disaster will happen, once I kept a Caffeine Free Coca-Cola Classic full can for a long time and the can made a little hole that sprayed all my other sodas and my closet floor of Caffeine free Coke Classic... :(

Ron Swedelson
04-21-2007, 03:00 PM
The only thing expiring is the sugar. I believe that by that exp. date, the sugars have broken down enough to alter the taste. Nothing bad with the soda, but the taste will be different

David J.
04-21-2007, 03:36 PM
My mom got some beer and soda from a place she was helping move, and while the Pepsi she got was fresh - expires much later in the year, there where two cans of Coke, and they expired in september of last year... they tasted BLAH, so I had to pour them down the drain. :(

popologist
04-21-2007, 03:57 PM
i'm going to serve them to guests... to try to get rid of them fast...

anyone wanna come over for pasta? ;)

ha!

Mr Zabe
04-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Are you ready to clean up second hand pasta off
your clean floors. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Party on Garth. LOL

popologist
04-21-2007, 06:32 PM
(in whispered voice) "his guests don't know it, but popologist is secretly replacing their regular cola with expired C2..." ;)

Lepke
04-21-2007, 06:59 PM
Artificial sweetener has a much shorter shelf life then sugar.
A can of soda sweetened with sugar can last two years or longer while artificially sweetened stuff is only good about six months.

Mana211
04-21-2007, 09:12 PM
The aspartame will have lost it's sweetness. The HFCS (corn syrup) is still ok. So it will taste like a slightly watered down half sweetened coke classic.

Now if you mix it with Coke Zero or Classic coke at a high enough ratio you might be able to make a mix that isn't noticeably less sweet.

If you buy a liquid sweetener and add it to the stale C2 you could also "fix" the drink but that is something I've never tried. Powdered sweeteners are out of the question as they cause the drink to fizz out of control.

It's one of the reasons why diet drinks of lesser bought brands are so hard to find on the market. The company can't afford to take the hit of a slow selling diet drink. If it doesn't sell quick it's worthless.

As an example my mom gave me some expired coke zero bottles and they had no sweetness left at all. I poured them all out as soon as I tasted the first sip.

popologist
04-21-2007, 10:47 PM
maybe i'll have one last can of C2... and pour the rest down the drain.

R.I.P. C2...

DPDude
05-09-2007, 12:59 AM
Yep, it's sad but I'll be pouring the rest of my expired Red Fusion down the drain this week. Too many of those tiny holes forming in the cans and spraying all over the place.

DPD

iluvsurge220
05-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Whoa, so will cans really form holes in themselves and spray all over the place? This might not be a good thing for me. I have a few cans of older stuff that isn't made anymore that I wanted to keep forever just for memories sake, but if the pop is gonna eat a hole into the can and spray out all over my room, then I might need to just open them and pour out the pop. Does this happen to all pops or just the colas?

drpep
05-09-2007, 03:17 PM
I don't think they will spray all over but they eventually WILL leak. Poke two holes in the bottom and drain.
Some cans, after leaking, will collapse. I have several in my collection that are no longer perfectly round because they leaked.

badboy1984
05-12-2007, 05:05 AM
It depends if was stored at temperature lower than 86F. Aspartame goes bad if it gets warm at least for its taste.

the saint
05-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Whoa, so will cans really form holes in themselves and spray all over the place? This might not be a good thing for me. I have a few cans of older stuff that isn't made anymore that I wanted to keep forever just for memories sake, but if the pop is gonna eat a hole into the can and spray out all over my room, then I might need to just open them and pour out the pop. Does this happen to all pops or just the colas?

The acid in the soda eventually will eat thru the cans. As stated above they will not neccessarily "spray" all over the place but they will leak all over the place. It will happen with pretty much ALL sodas.

popologist
05-12-2007, 03:30 PM
my god, if it can do that to cans, what is it doing to our teeth?!?

Mr Zabe
05-12-2007, 04:19 PM
LOL
Who needs teeth. LOL
It's easier to soak them at night. LOL

Actually besides brushing with a high quality tooth paste,
I almost always rinse my mouth out with water after I have
had sugar soda pop. I also massage my gums and teeth with my fingers using tap water a few times a day.
(I try to follow this routine as best I can, my last cavity was about 8 years ago.)

Toni
05-13-2007, 05:41 PM
I still have a 12 pack of Vanilla Coke cans. I'm gonna see what they taste like. The expiration date is July 17, 06.

They must have been one of the last 12 packs I bought when they discontinued it. I had bought 18 of those 12 packs when they were discontinuing it.

Remember when soda never had expiration dates? Wha's so differant about then compared to now? Just a marketing ploy to get us to buy more when it's expired?

popologist
05-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Remember when soda never had expiration dates? Wha's so differant about then compared to now? Just a marketing ploy to get us to buy more when it's expired?

hmm. that's an interesting observation...

Mana211
05-14-2007, 03:00 PM

They always had some sort of code on the can/bottle/cap/box somewhere. It's just at some point they started printing the code in such a way that the consumer knew what it meant.

Take a look around your grocery store and try to find a product that doesn't have some sort of code stamped or printed on the package. Generally you'll only see that on baked goods that get tossed out by the employees that made 'em.

Types of Dates from Food Product Dating (http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Food_Product_Dating/index.asp)

* A "Sell-By" date tells the store how long to display the product for sale. You should buy the product before the date expires.
* A "Best if Used By (or Before)" date is recommended for best flavor or quality. It is not a purchase or safety date.
* A "Use-By" date is the last date recommended for the use of the product while at peak quality. The date has been determined by the manufacturer of the product.
* "Closed or coded dates" are packing numbers for use by the manufacturer.

Dates aren't required for most foods but if it is a bulk product you can bet there is some sort of code on it that is a date or is linked to a date somehow.

Toni
05-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Mana211, thanks for that. I remember when beer companys started advertising the "born on dates" and expirartion dates, it was too comical. You know you are getting FRESH beer by checking the born on date. Yes, I believe it was the beer companies that started that first, then the soft drinks caught on and pretty soon everything had these expiration dates.

Sure they all had a code on them before but making it a actual readable expiration date and not a code was all for marketing purposes. It sells more product plain and sinple.