PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else dislike the Jones Soda brand?

ZedFlummox
04-25-2007, 11:59 PM
I can respect that they use real cane sugar, which obviously is a big time plus. However, I hate how artificial their sodas taste. I tried the cream soda recently, and it tasted like liquefied cotton candy (and not in a good way). The berry lemonade I also found to just taste waaaay too artificial.

So, I hate to rag on a company that uses cane sugar, but I just find many of their drinks unpalatable.

Soda-MN-Good
04-26-2007, 12:58 AM
I'm with you on that, I always thought that since the beginning the cream soda tasted a bit too "artificial." But in my mind Jones is more of a marketing scheme than it is a soda company. Case in point, the labels of every bottle are directed to the consumers, so brand recognition is there, but not as one would expect.

Jones also outsources it's bottling, not necessarily a bad thing, but my feeling has always been, if you want it done right, do it yourself.

I recently purchased a case of the new Jones cane sugar root beer. Needless to say, I was hoping for crisp sugar taste, but was disappointed to say the least.

Collecting glass bottled sodas as I do, I drink my product all day long and most are made with cane sugar, Jones doesn;t even comes close to that of A&W with cane sugar, or Dad's, Henry Weinhards, or well, anything else on the market. It wasn't good at all.

But, to defend Jones, their root beer did taste better than two brands I've tried, those being "Natural Brew" and Steaz. Both of those I dumped out the bottle after two sips. Although, I did the same for Faygo too, that root beer is on the same level as Jones.

ichiro
04-26-2007, 03:13 AM
well, i think you would be surprised how good the grape is. The lemon drop is killer and i hope they release their vanilla cola in cans as it kicks butt on the majors. The creme soda is not my favorite. Of course a green apple is pretty good as well. Oh well ,im a fan of the co. and what they are doing. They are gonna be huge in a few yrs(not to say coke or pepsi) compared to now. Just watch. They also introduced a new flavor in walmart. Blueberry pomegrante-sounds interesting.

Mr Zabe
04-26-2007, 04:50 AM
Just my two cents and IMO......
Jones Soda pop will crash and burn by winter of 2009.
The way I see it is that a good majority of the mass market
soda pop consumers have had their "soda pop taste pallets"
trained for "traditional" Big Three Flavors.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
04-26-2007, 07:45 AM
Now, of course i think it is a good move with the cane sugar, but in my town, Jones soda is poorly distrubited. Target carries a few flavors, kmart a few more, and pick n save a couple more... So depending on what flavor you want, and weather you want it in glass bottles or cans, you might have to go to one of three different stores, each in different parts of town. I think some of their flavors are excelent, and some are ok, and that if it was more widely distrubited in more stores with more flavors, it might have a better chance, but like zabe said, People nowadays have gotten used to the HFCS flavored big 3 items.

My 2 cents.

ichiro
04-26-2007, 10:00 AM
have you not seen the new deals they have cut? Walmart,Krogers,along with a bunch of other stores. They have new products coming out and everything they make will be pcs. They will not be going away and one of the big boys will probably buy them out in a few yrs if not sooner. Great products, great co.

jblaviback
04-26-2007, 11:26 AM
I definently agree with Rob on this one. They do seem to have wacky distributrion. Like you go to target and they have green apple and strawberry. Then the loclal grocery store has some root beer and cream soda. Also I wish I could try there vanilla cola I've never seen.

Also I must say I don't think they will go away they have a following of people who think the labels are cool.

Overall, most the flavors are gross and they won't get much respect from me.

amyers
04-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Distribution is retarded yes. It can be done by just about anyone really, my reason for saying that is that my friend was the town distributor of the Jones Brand and he was doing it out of his house with a grage full of Jones

fusion
04-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Hey, the small guys gotta start somewhere!

David J.
04-26-2007, 06:35 PM
My biggest problem is there are tags for a handful of sodas in target, but barely any out.

ZedFlummox
04-26-2007, 08:21 PM
This is the conundrum. I actually really hope they succeed, as they make "Pure Cane Sugar" such a prominent part of their labeling. If they were to fail, I would be worried that others might feel that cane sugar isn't that much of a drawing point for people.

But I agree that most of their flavors are just "gross."

drpep
04-26-2007, 08:55 PM
You guys need to read the many page anti Jones Soda thread from a few years ago thats buried in the threads. Postings there had the product dead and buried several years ago.

ichiro
04-26-2007, 09:26 PM
Full rollout will be mostly completed by mem. day. Target was blowing out the hfcs supply and is restocking with the cane sugar. Massive rollout has begun. Walmart has big ads on the product.

reset man
04-26-2007, 09:59 PM
I like the Jones brand and it's nice to have some unique flavors to choose from. I'm glad they're starting to pop up in WalMart and KMart in cans at a far more reasonable price than the 12oz. glass. I've tried the root beer, lemon drop and diet black cherry so far and will definitely try more flavors soon. Strawberry Lime is my next shot!!