PDA

View Full Version : BevNet reviews

shadowlp06
05-10-2007, 05:47 PM
I have been browsing some of the reviews lately and is it just me or does BevNet never expect much from a new beverage? I just glanced over a few of the Jone's Soda Reviews, as well as a few others, and quite a few of them start with, "We weren't really expecting much from this one...", or "Looks were definately deceiving with this one..."

Do they just not have high hopes for most beverages?

Just a thought.

popologist
05-10-2007, 10:58 PM
you're not the first one to complain about their reviews.

they lost all cred with me when they gave coke zero a mediocre review. almost everyone else agrees that coke zero tastes great. everyone, that is, but bevnet. if they can't get something so obvious correct, why would i trust them with anything else...?

Lepke
05-11-2007, 12:01 AM
What’s the difference? Taste is very subjective.
Many of the products bevnet likes I hate and vise versa.
Whoopee soda is just awful stuff but bevnet likes so what.
A bevnet review doesn’t make or break a product, if it did then red bull out of business.

BTW there is a section for chat about bevnet reviews.
Beverage Reviews (1 Viewing)
Don't agree with one of our beverage reviews? Discuss it here. Let us know your opinion.

Mr Zabe
05-11-2007, 12:21 AM
My two cents.

Bevnet's reviews are more focused to the trade/industry beverage
companies,whole salers and retailers. It's hard to explain, maybe a fellow
board mate could chime in?

shadowlp06
05-11-2007, 04:26 AM
I understand BevNet is geared towards the industry, but in reality who is keeping the industry going? It is the consumers, the people that buy the drinks are the ones that are ultimately making the decision. If a drink bombs or is a hit, its the consumers that are giving their vote via their pocketbook. If you read BevNets's reviews and then read the reviews that the BevNet users put in, its almost like there were two different drinks being reviewed. More than half the time if not more than three-quarters of the time, BevNet's review is completely different than what the user's/consumers think. I understand taste being subjective, but is there really that much of a difference? BevNet to me has always seemed to have a slant towards independent, low budget bottlers with funky combinations, flavors, or drink name's. I mean where else are you going to find a serious review of a pickle juice soda, ya know? I have always thought BevNet had a vendetta against any new Pepsi or Coke product, and held them up to a higher bar than most other companies. If you are going to review products, then the bar should be held the same for all brands. The bottom line is that the consumers vote with their money, and it seems to me BevNet takes no consideration at all in for that, they have their favorites and it is definately well known what their favorites are. However, I think some people make their buying choices off of reviews, much like some people wait for a movie review before seeing a particular movie, and good press as well as bad press can have a tremendous impact on a drink's success. If I bought soda based on some of the reviews BevNet has made, I would have missed out on a ton of good purchases. Good thing I make my own choices.

popologist
05-11-2007, 12:08 PM
the problem was... they didn't seem to dislike coke zero because of taste... they seemed to dislike it because it was made by coke. (i.e., the reviewer seemed more concerned about zero's packaging/label than taste).

the same often goes for their reviews of pepsi products.

to put it plainly... they seem biased.

What’s the difference? Taste is very subjective.
Many of the products bevnet likes I hate and vise versa.
Whoopee soda is just awful stuff but bevnet likes so what.
A bevnet review doesn’t make or break a product, if it did then red bull out of business.

BTW there is a section for chat about bevnet reviews.
Beverage Reviews (1 Viewing)
Don't agree with one of our beverage reviews? Discuss it here. Let us know your opinion.

illusionh20
05-12-2007, 06:07 AM
Coke products are second rate ( engineered to make max profits at the cost of quality and originality ) so the reviews are correct. If it was not for bevnet we would be a little stupid and the market as exciting as your grand mothers underwear. :(

If you do not like what you see why not join coke on a "second life" server. I hear they are planning a perfect world of cyber coke addicts. No need to exercise, worry about your health or read beverage reviews. :rolleyes:

popologist
05-12-2007, 06:23 AM
sounds like cola-envy...

popologist
05-14-2007, 08:54 AM
here's a perfect example. they just reviewed diet coke plus today.

how much of this review is actually about "taste"? it's mostly just complaints about packaging and assumptions about how it will sell. RIDICULOUS!

Diet Coke Plus - The BevNET.com Review (http://bevnet.com/reviews/diet_coke_plus/)

Mr Zabe
05-14-2007, 09:34 AM
DITTO
Bevnet loved (liked) the taste but did not like the lable art. LOL
In the words of Charlie the Tuna......
"Do you want a Tuna with good taste (art) or do you
want a Tuna that tastes good?"

Tannerman
05-14-2007, 10:10 AM
The taste is mentioned in the first line of the review. :)

Anyway, I don't have an issue with them. Like it or not, marketing and packaging go a long way towards the overall perception of a soft drink, and in many cases contribute to one's opinion of taste.

BevNET
05-14-2007, 10:16 AM
how much of this review is actually about "taste"? it's mostly just complaints about packaging and assumptions about how it will sell. RIDICULOUS!

It's not ridiculous. If you bought products solely for taste, you would never drink a Coke product. But that's not the case. People buy things because of branding, image, availability, price, etc. Many of these things are factored into the review when we feel they are relevant...They aren't intended to be wine reviews :), which is what some of you seem to expect. Sorry.

BluejacketT
05-14-2007, 12:25 PM
It's not ridiculous. If you bought products solely for taste, you would never drink a Coke product. But that's not the case. People buy things because of branding, image, availability, price, etc. Many of these things are factored into the review when we feel they are relevant...They aren't intended to be wine reviews :), which is what some of you seem to expect. Sorry.

So true. That is so true.

popologist
05-14-2007, 03:48 PM
here's a typical bevnet review:

it tasted pretty good, but... oh, it's by coke or pepsi, and they dared to put their world-famous logo on it... and it wasn't pretty enough, so we give it a 2-stars and hope it flops... so we're proven right.

popologist
05-14-2007, 03:52 PM
for those who missed the review, i've pasted it below... and highlighted the part that actually mentioned taste/flavor.

As far as Coca-Cola's cola extensions go, this is definitely one of the best tasting. Using a blend of aspartame and ace-k to sweeten the drink is likely the reason. Otherwise, we're not fans of this product. The Diet Coke and Plus logos don't mesh nicely, which makes us wonder how quickly this was thrown together. Finally, there's the vitamins, which amount to a whopping 10 percent or 15 percent of the RDA. We don't think that this is really a compelling value add for the consumer to make the switch. However, it definitely tastes better than regular Diet Coke, for whatever that's worth. Either way, we don't think this drink really has a long future ahead of it.

popologist
05-14-2007, 03:57 PM
i'd like to add... my broccoli has 50% vitamin C, but no vitamin A or B or niacin. according to bevnet, should i just throw it out?

also, my yogurt has 25% calcium, but no vitamin A, B, C or niacin. hey, bevnet, should i just throw that out too?

aside from a multi-vitamin, most of the food we eat only has 10-15% of essential vitamins or minerals... that's why we eat more than one food item per day.

the logic of the review just seems to be uninformed and biased. that's my beef!!!

hmm. i wonder if my beef has enough vitamins and minerals for bevnet...?

BevNET
05-14-2007, 04:31 PM
the logic of the review just seems to be uninformed and biased. that's my beef!!!

OK, so your point is that we're uninformed and biased -- Fine. You are certainly entitled to your opinion just as we are entitled to say that we don't like the product because of something other than taste. Anyway...

Android
05-14-2007, 04:47 PM
I'll put up something of a rebuttal here. While I agree there has always seemed to be an expectation of blandness on Bevnet's part, when it comes to the Big C and the Big P, a don't find a whole lot to take excepetion with on this review. The product does taste pretty good. And the packaging is not that great. The amount of vitamiins.... well, there's two sides to consider. Heavy diet cola drinkers are going to put away a 6pack a day and then, those vitamins are going to add up. Along with a good tasting product, that might be the extra incentive to have them go with DC Plus. It would for me, if I was already a Diet Coke drinker (which I'm not, but I have put away 3 12packs of DCPlus since it came out though) But for the average consumer who's shopping for some diet cola to have occasionally, I don't see it being a very big draw. If this brand is to be successful there's going to have to be extra marketing involved, I don't see this one being able to sell itself as it is now. I don't see enough niche hardcore DC drinkers coming on board to carry this one. So on those counts, the Bevnet prediction the product might not last long plus the mediocre review I think are justified.

If they had a separate rating just for the actual drink, not taking anything else into consideration, that might be better.

that's my 2 cents worth.

ZedFlummox
05-15-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm with popologist here, for the most part.

While I don't per se object to letting labelling, packaging, marketing, etc. being mentioned in the review, I do agree that BevNet just puts WAY, WAY too much emphasis on the non-taste stuff. Taste should really be what they are talking about 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. And the extraneous stuff (like how well the beverage is going to do in the market) should come later and only make a minor impact on the review.

It's analogous to Roger Ebert or Richard Roeper reviewing a movie like this:

"Well, this movie had superb acting, a great plot, and awesome special effects. Unfortunately, the poster for the movie really sucks. I give it a thumbs down."

Anyway, the reviews I love the best are by that one guy (sorry I don't remember his or her name) that does the truly blind taste tests of various beverages at work. Now THAT is cool. Applying the scientific method to see which drink actually does taste best...uninfluenced by the biasing effects of marketing, labeling etc. I haven't done it yet, but I want to do something similar with my friends to see which root bear,which cream soda, which orange cream drink, etc. tastes best.

shadowlp06
05-15-2007, 09:47 PM
I loved the professionalism from BevNet on that last response that ended in "anyway...", spoken like a true professional. Anyway, lol, I agree with the last response about the young man who has the blind tastes tests on the grape soda's, orange soda's, etc. That is a true review. I don't give a flying flip about the packaging of a drink. I don't go picking out drinks because a package is pretty or appealing, nor do I go picking out movies because the DVD cover stands out. It is about substance, it is about what it tastes like for me. I think the taste is a very important part in the product and BevNet puts little emphasis on that.

illusionh20
06-13-2007, 03:39 PM

No COMMENT!