PDA

View Full Version : Diet Coke and Tab

doulasc
05-19-2007, 03:50 PM
What is the difference between Diet Coke and Tab? Tab came out in 1963 and Diet Coke came out in around 1980.
Is Coke Zero replacing Diet Coke?

Doug

golee1
05-19-2007, 06:10 PM
First off there is a difference in sweeteners. Tab was originally sweetened with saccharin, and is now sweetened with a saccharin/aspartame blend. Diet Coke was originally a Saccharin/aspartame blend, but has been sweeetened with only aspartame for years (except for the fountain version which is still a blend).

Tab doesn't carry the Coke trademark because at the time Tab was introduced Coke didn't want its trademark on anything besides regular Coke. Diet drinks are the time were known to be pretty much terrible tasting and they didn't want their trademark associated with that.

Tab was the most popular diet sodt drink for many years, but it never sold anywhere near the level of Diet Coke. Diet Coke is Coke's most successful new product introduction ever (excluding Coke itself of course).

Coke Zero is not going to, nor is it intended to replace Diet Coke. Diet Coke is the #1 Diet soda, and the #3 soda overall, and Coke definately wouldn't want to mess with that success.

Troy The Vault Drinker
05-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Tab is the ONLY diet drink that i can drink without puking. Wierd aint it :P

popologist
05-19-2007, 10:34 PM
coke zero uses the coke classic formula, but is sweetened with apartame & ace-k.

diet coke shares the "new coke" formula, but is sweetened with apartame.

TaB has its own unique formula and is sweetened with apartame & saccharin.

originally, TaB was sweetened with "cyclamates", but those were eventually banned in the US (though are still legal in Canada and parts of Europe).

SamC
05-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Tab, properly TaB, was simply the Coca-Cola Company's first diet cola. KO did not believe at the time that the iconic brand should be applied to it and the name was made up because of the double entandre (keep "tabs" on ones weight) and the fact that it was copyrightable and translatable worldwide.

There was no attempt to be "different" from Coke. It was, just like Coca-Cola Zero, Coke with artificial sweeteners. The tast varried from place to place and time to time due to the sweeteners used.

Then came Diet Coke, properly diet Coke, which was a totally different formula. Really it is Diet New Coke.

Tab remained in production from that point, but continued, and continues to use the sweeteners of the early 1980s when Diet Coke was launched. Mostly it appeals to people who grew up on diet soda and thus like the taste of the inferior sweeteners of that era.

Then came Coke Zero, which is simply the Coke formula with modern sweeteners.

golee1
05-20-2007, 05:58 PM
There were also some other flavors of TaB at one time:

http://home.epix.net/~tjwagner/tabcan-all.jpg

Dano
05-20-2007, 06:02 PM
I always drank TaB instead of Diet Coke. I preferred it to Diet Pepsi and Diet Rite. I did a side by side comparison Coke Zero vs tab vs Diet Coke, and Zero won huge for me, whie TaB was 2nd and D-coke was 3rd.

Honestly, TaB really is pretty good, but Zero blows them all away