PDA

View Full Version : Suburban Club sodas (Maryland area)

smitty
05-25-2007, 04:03 AM
Does anyone know where to find this brand, particularly the Almond Smash variety?

About a year ago, I found a two-liter bottle at a gas station/convenience store in Jessup, Md.

Thanks in advance.

smitty

Cheer-wined
05-26-2007, 08:43 PM
These came from the Mars Super Market in Bethesda. They have a website (Mars Super Markets - Grocery Store Maryland (http://www.marsfood.com)), you might wanna check out the nearest one.

http://home.triad.rr.com/coolmoon/Suburban.jpg

smitty
05-27-2007, 03:14 PM
That's the stuff. Thanks very much.

I got off I-95 last week at the Joppatowne exit and
stopped in at the Mars supermarket there ... didn't
have the stuff.

I'll expand the search.

Thanks again.

smitty

fusion
05-29-2007, 12:54 AM
Suburban is distributed by PBG in Baltimore. The Mars you stopped at in Edgewood is in Harford County which is served by an indie distributor. I remember them bringing up Suburban to the two Harford County Mars stores a few years ago - it basically just sat there.

There is another Mars going the other way just off 40 into Baltimore - take the White Marsh Blvd exit, go south towards 40, but then go west on Route 7/Philadelphia Road.

If you go the other way on White Marsh Blvd towards the mall, and make a left onto Honeygo Blvd, there is a Giant up there (you can also go up to the next intersection, which is Perry Hall Blvd, make a left, and then make a left onto Honeygo).

Alternately, you could take 1N/Belair Road off the Beltway - going north.. lots of stores along there as well.

grandpa81799
05-12-2008, 09:11 PM
That's the stuff. Thanks very much.

I got off I-95 last week at the Joppatowne exit and
stopped in at the Mars supermarket there ... didn't
have the stuff.

I'll expand the search.

Thanks again.

smitty

Smitty, I have gotten Suburban Golden Ginger Ale and Almond Smash at the Edgewood store. All the Mars seem to hide it away from all the other sodas...look on the sides of the ends of isles..that is where I find them, or on a rack near the bakery section..strange they do not put them in with the other sodas. Sometimes they even put them on a rack near the entrance...go figure.

francoenergy99
05-14-2008, 04:30 AM
I like club sodas, but some are to carbations, then agian theres times were you're body needs that carbanation to fight off things!

fusion
12-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Bringing this back up to the top because of a recent finding. I stopped at the 7-11 near the White Marsh Mall (a little bit of a haul off of 95, more than I had expected), and they had Suburban ginger ale and almond smash in 24oz bottles for 99. Never paid attention to the backs of the labels before, but the UPC starts with 12000, like other Pepsi products, and it says "Bottled by a local Independent Bottler under the authority of Bottling Group, LLC. Somers NY" Interesting, because Somers is the home of the PBG HQ, not PepsiCo's.

stnkygrngo
01-28-2010, 03:47 PM
I just bought a 2 litre at Mars in Lutherville on York Rd. I called my dad and told him since I used to suck the almond smash down like a champ.

Yes, made by Pepsi, I remember going to the distributor on Union Ave in Hampdem in Baltimore when I was a kid to pick it up there.

They no longer have the golfer on the lable, but these wired looking spots.

$1.25 for the 2 litre.

Rhonda
04-04-2010, 10:44 PM
I no longer live in Baltimore and have been trying to find if there's a site where I can order this? Does anyone know???

Dusty Fisher
11-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Does anyone know where to find this brand, particularly the Almond Smash variety?

I remember Almond Smash from the mid 1980s as I used to buy it in 16 oz. bottles at gas stations in Maryland and as far north as central PA. I've been craving that soda for at least a decade, but gave up on it completely. Thanks to this message board, I found that Suburban sodas were still being made and that it would still be possible to get Almond Smash.

I live further south now, but passed through Baltimore this weekend. I made a special side trip over to the Mars Super Market in Arbutus and cleaned them out of the last 5 two liter bottles of Almond Smash. I'm not much of a soda drinker anymore - I may have a can of Coke or ginger ale every two or three weeks. I've already polished off one of the two liter bottles (with the exception of one or two glasses to others) and started on another.

It's just about the same as I remember, though it uses corn syrup in addition to sugar now. The people who tried it for the first time have compared it to a cherry soda or a Dr. Pepper flavor, but neither really captures it. I've never been able to really describe the taste, but a sparkly mild cherry flavor with an agreeable aftertaste that isn't easy to explain is about the best I can do. All I know is that I'm going to keep making occasional trips north to stock up if I can't get it shipped down to me!

I've been talking about it for the past two days to everyone. I never thought I'd get this excited about a beverage, but I seriously thought I'd never taste it again. I'm still stupidly happy about being able to get this stuff again.

If you're at all curious about it, I heartily recommend calling up the supermarkets first to see if they carry it. Most stores will even go back and reserve a few bottles for you.

jhmaintenanceman
06-22-2011, 02:48 PM
grandpa81799, I live in jacksonville, fl. and would be more then happy to pay all shipping and all expenses foir your trouble if I could get you to send me several bnottles of ALMOND SMASH & GOLDEN GINGER ALE, by suburban club. My E mail is jhmaintenanceman@gmail.com. I am a transplant from Baltimore and heard Suburban club went out of business. Almond smash & Golden Ginger Ale were our favorite drinks. thanki you