PDA

View Full Version : History of Mountain Dew

David J.
05-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Back in the late sixties to the late eighties... was Mountain Dew as popular as it is today? I remember when I was starting school, there was some conterversy about the caffiene content, but I was wondering if that had existed since the drink was bought out by Pepsi.

What year did it enter the top ten?

Thanks!

Mr Zabe
05-28-2007, 01:02 PM
As a teenager back in the 70's, Mountain Dew was not only great tasting but drinking it knocked my sox off caffeine wise. Many young people like myself were instantly hooked on Mountain Dew. The add campaigns always showed a bunch of colledge age kids having the time of their lives enjoying a daring out door activity and drinking Mountain Dew. The message was that if you drank Mountain Dew you would have cool times with cool friends. LOL

I brought into that concept hook line and sinker. LOL
I still buy Mountain Dew and I still think about those childhood memories,
playing sports with my friends and buzzing on Mountain Dew.

Troy The Vault Drinker
05-28-2007, 01:46 PM
i would guess that back in the early days of mountain dew that it was more popular with kids and young folks and then it caught on with adults and grew in sales and became the 4th best selling drink in the world

fusion
05-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Fourth in the US. It's not sold worldwide.

I'd venture to guess that Sprite. .or Fanta is the #4 drink in the world.

Lepke
05-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Mountain dew was big when I was a kid back in the early 70’s. In the late 60’s they had a commercial with the catch fraise “yahoo mountain dew” and all the kids knew it. Then they did an add campaign with teens surfing on a waterfall. We all drank the stuff back then. You didn’t have a million flavors available back then.

XLS_04
05-29-2007, 02:45 AM
Mountain Dew was more popular in the 1990s than it is today, energy drinks kind of took over where Mountain Dew left off. However it has always been a strong brand and still is.

Does anyone have any information about these cans from 1991? Hopefully somebody has more knowlege about it.

Popboy
05-29-2007, 11:38 AM
^ I would agree with the 1990's popularity, for some reason it tasted better during those day's...

SamC
05-30-2007, 08:04 AM
The original marketing theme of the product was a "hillbilly" theme. The tag line was "I'el (it will) tickle yer inards". The returnable bottles had a "hillbilly" on them.

The cans pictured are from the transition away from that. The theme still features a mountain scene and, as mentioned, featured youths in mountain/rural settings in outdoor activities. Then came the current theme.

drpep
05-30-2007, 07:46 PM
I've had this site written down Mountain Dew Bottles (http://www.mountaindewbottles.com).
I also know of a good Dew site but I can't find the address.

XLS_04
05-30-2007, 11:44 PM
I understand what you are saying but the cans I posted were from 1991. I suppose they were a limited edition or were test market cans. The Mountain Dew logo has been basically the same from the 70s to today, with the mostly green can and wild curved text.