PDA

View Full Version : Diet Pepsi Challenge

JMHX316
06-11-2007, 12:15 PM
Diet Pepsi Puts New Twist on Old Pitch - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB117814089151089926-42knUkpk0tPr6xh0ST7o8USQqSg_20070601.html?mod=fpa_ editors_picks)

Interesting read I stumbled across....

What's really exciting for me is that is MY Diet Pepsi Jazz article linked to at the bottom! Talk about making a blogger's day; wake up to find the Wall Street Journal has linked to you. Even if no one clicks it, and I get no traffic, it still feels like a big deal...

Thank you for listening to my rambling. And on the challenge, I don't think they should bother, Diet Coke's devoted are too dug in to even consider switching, even if the results were 90/10% in favor of Diet Pepsi...

popologist
06-11-2007, 03:20 PM
the results weren't 90%/10%. it was almost 50/50.

either way, coke doesn't seem too worried about it. diet coke barely slid at all, while diet pepsi is falling fast. not to mention that coke zero is growing steadily. besides, most people who drink diet soda already know what, both, diet coke and diet pepsi taste like, and they've already made their choice.

i wonder if some of diet pepsi's decline has to do with all the other competing diet pepsi brands (pepsi one, diet pepsi jazz & now diet pepsi max)...

JMHX316
06-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I know it was 'a little more than half' of all testers.... I was just commenting on how 'dug in' Diet Coke fans are; you could beat them upside the head with a better tasting product and they'll pay it no mind. No poll will sway their loyalty.

popologist
06-12-2007, 12:35 PM
ok. gotcha. ;)

the one thing about this taste test to me is... the question they didn't ask.

normally in a taste test, you ask "which do you prefer?" which could have a totally different result than what this challeng asked, "which tastes more like regular cola?"

and i'll give an example. my brother prefers the taste of DIET coke to regular coke. so, if you gave him coke zero and diet coke... he might say that coke zero tastes more like regular coke... but he still may prefer diet coke.

polls can always be manipulated by the question you ask and how you ask it. and since this poll didn't ask the standard "which do you prefer"... i can only assume that there's a reason...

JMHX316
06-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Very true....

I wish they had waited to do this little test. and have a 'which do you prefer' poll between Coke Zero and Diet Pepsi Max... The battle between Deit Coke/Pepsi has already been decided, unless we end up with some 'Diet Coke 2' type fiasco...

da987
06-12-2007, 01:03 PM
I thought history went something along the lines of Diet Coke wasn't actually supposed to taste like Coca-Cola. If it did that would have meant that the Coca-Cola Company would have had to stick to the old bottling contracts that stated that the price of the concentrate had to be fixed and could not be raised.

Any way surely the real question of "which tastes more like regular cola?" is easy to answer. Which is neither taste like regular cola, as the original cola is Coca-Cola and they both taste completely different.

ithastabeshasta
06-12-2007, 01:21 PM
. Which is neither taste like regular cola, as the original cola is Coca-Cola and they both taste completely different.

Coca Cola technically is not the original cola. The name escapes me at the moment but the first cola flavored beverage was introduced in 1881 which is 5 years before Coca Cola arrived.

da987
06-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Is it Vin Mariana?

fusion
06-13-2007, 12:45 AM
No, that's a cocaine wine. I watched part of that cocaine documentary on the History Channel last night.

Vin Mariani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vin_Mariani)

ithastabeshasta
06-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Is it Vin Mariana?

No that's not it. I read it in one of my soda history books that I have at home. I will try to find it and post it when I do.

CStoreCatMan
06-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Very true....

I wish they had waited to do this little test. and have a 'which do you prefer' poll between Coke Zero and Diet Pepsi Max... The battle between Deit Coke/Pepsi has already been decided, unless we end up with some 'Diet Coke 2' type fiasco...

I don't think that's the right comparison. Pepsi One and Coke Zero would be similar products...not Zero and Max. Zero and One were both designed to be diets that taste as much like the regular versions as possible - Diet Max is not that kind of product. If you wanted to do that kind of taste test, it should be Coke's "enhanced" Diet Coke Plus versus Pepsi's "enhanced" Diet Pepsi Max. You have to compare apples to apples.

da987
06-13-2007, 01:31 PM
I don't think you guys in the states have anything to compare Zero to. In most of the World Pepsi Max is the alternative version to Zero. We've had it since 1994 and it is similar to full fat Pepsi.

popologist
06-13-2007, 01:59 PM
I don't think you guys in the states have anything to compare Zero to. In most of the World Pepsi Max is the alternative version to Zero. We've had it since 1994 and it is similar to full fat Pepsi.

right. cuz pepsi one is really like diet coke with splenda.
diet pepsi max is like diet coke plus (sort of).
but coke zero really stands alone... in taste. ;)

Nick Laugher
06-16-2007, 04:31 PM
I honestly don't know why we're trying to save the flailing Diet Coke line when we have a newer, less caloric and sugary AND tastier alternative (Coke Zero)

JMHX316
06-19-2007, 04:03 PM
I thought Zero and Max were the ones that shared the same sweeteners? Isnt ginseng the only nutritional enhancement to Max?