PDA

View Full Version : Double Cola products in Kentucy or Tennessee

Man From Ohio
06-16-2007, 12:18 AM
Hello everyone. This site is a virtual wealth of soft drink information. With that in mind, maybe some of you can help me out.

Later this summer I'm driving from Cincinnati OH to Louisville KY via I-71, then down to Nashville TN via I-65, and finally to Memphis TN via I-40. Is there anywhere along my route I can buy Double Cola products? I'm primarily interested in Double Cola, Diet Double Cola, and the various Ski formulations, not so much the Jumbo flavors, though I'm sure those are good as well. I'm willing to go a few miles from the interstates if necessary. Also, I'll be spending a few days in both Memphis and Nashville. Any helpful info will be much appreciated!

Cheer-wined
06-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Frontier Distributing in Nashville distributes Double Cola and Ski in the surrounding counties. You can find it in Nashville but it's usually sold as a discount brand and major chains rarely carry it.

If you go to Frontier, I believe they still sell directly to the public.

Do a search on this site for "Frontier Distributing" and you can find one of my earlier posts with more information about other distributors.

Man From Ohio
06-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks, Cheer-wined. I went to Frontier's website, on which they helpfully list the soft drinks they distribute. I sent them an email asking about specific stores that carry the stuff. Hopefully they'll respond, but if you or anyone else know of any specific retailers that carry the stuff, please post them.

Hmm, major chains? Kroger definitely counts as one. Wonder if any discount chains, such as Save-A-Lot, would carry Double Cola in Nashville.

ithastabeshasta
06-18-2007, 01:17 PM
When I was in Tennessee a couple of years ago the only stores I could find Double Cola products in was Food Lyon. At the other major grocery store chain (I forgot the name) no one even knew what Double Cola was. Funny this was in Chattanooga and I had just passed a billboard advertising Double Cola as a home town drink.

fusion
06-18-2007, 08:19 PM
When I was in Chattanooga, I found it at Bi-Lo and Food Lion. It was very under-represented in Food Lion, though.

In the one city Bi-Lo I went into, they had a bunch of Jumbo as well.

Man From Ohio
06-18-2007, 11:13 PM
When I was in Tennessee a couple of years ago the only stores I could find Double Cola products in was Food Lyon. At the other major grocery store chain (I forgot the name) no one even knew what Double Cola was. Funny this was in Chattanooga and I had just passed a billboard advertising Double Cola as a home town drink.

Sad--people not knowing about Double Cola in the town of its birth.

Yeah, most likely Food Lion is one of the few sizable chains to carry it--hopefully they do around Nashville!

Man From Ohio
06-18-2007, 11:18 PM
When I was in Chattanooga, I found it at Bi-Lo and Food Lion. It was very under-represented in Food Lion, though.

In the one city Bi-Lo I went into, they had a bunch of Jumbo as well.

When you say underrepresented, are you referring to shelf space or sizes available for purchase? I know when you could still find it in Cincinnati, it was only in 2 liter bottles at a few supermarkets, or 20 ounce bottles at scattered convenience stores. I'm hoping to at least find some 6 packs or 12 packs, and not have to search every convenience store in central Tennessee!

I would consider finding Jumbo flavors a bonus. If I can get Double Cola, Diet Double Cola, and Ski, I'll be happy.

fusion
06-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Shelf space - I'm taking 2 facing each on two shelves for the 2 liters.

At the new Bi-Lo in Red Bank, I did find Double Cola, Ski, Cherry Ski, and Diet Ski in fridge pack form. They had an insanely huge soda aisle. And Coke United had all eight varieties of Dr Pepper when I was in the store last October.

In 2005, I stopped at a Bi-Lo that was right off of I-24 in Chattanooga, and they had a cooler full of 20oz Jumbo.

You may have to check a few grocery stores to find Double Cola.. or email/call the distributor and ask who they deliver to. The time I saw it in the Nashville area was at a c-store - they had 10oz glass bottles and 20oz PET at a Raceway gas station in Murfreesboro.

amyers
06-20-2007, 12:09 PM
They are really nice at Double Cola and would be happy to give you any type of information to find it in your area.

jbird
07-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Double Cola is available at almost any grocery store in Nashville and in nearby small towns. Grocers such as Kroger, IGA, Publix, H.G. Hill, and many gas stations carry Ski, Diet Ski, and Double Cola. You could probably call ahead to stores along your route.

jbird
07-08-2007, 09:56 PM
H.G. Hill usually has Cheerwine as well. I seldom saw Diet Cheerwine or Grapico. I had to go to Birimingham, Alabama for that.

fusion
07-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Welcome to H. G. Hill! (http://www.hghills.com/)

amyers
07-08-2007, 10:49 PM
You'll never guess where I found all the Jumbo flavors, Double Cola, Dads Rootbeer, and Ski today. I'm not sure how far the Double Cola products go down into Alabama but I've only seen them in Dothan, AL

Anyways, I always find cool products at Truck Stops and today in Cusseta, AL I found all of the Double Cola products and only at this one place, they were bottle by Tri-State Canning, Evansville, Indiania. I think this brand of Truck Stops must distro. this product in its system. I didn't go any farther North, I will next time though.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/AaronMyers/IMG00260.jpg

Mr Zabe
07-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Outstanding find.
Cool picture. :)

amyers
07-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Another great find today, I found all of those same products in 12oz can 6-pks today at a grocery store in West Point, GA. $1.29 per 6-pk.

Picture later

amyers
07-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Picture is below..

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/AaronMyers/IMG00262.jpg

Mr Zabe
07-09-2007, 09:35 PM
A $1.49 is a pretty decent price.:)
Gee,I'm a push over for cheap 6 packs. LOL

amyers
07-10-2007, 09:08 AM
A $1.49 is a pretty decent price.:)
Gee,I'm a push over for cheap 6 packs. LOL

This store had really good prices to be a homegrown store. They had 2 for 7 on 12pk's, 3 for 7 on 16.7oz 6-pk, 4.50 on 24 case of Dasiani, some other great products as well.

billygtexas
07-13-2007, 12:26 PM
I totally forgot about Double Cola, I haven't seen any bottles of it in Oklahoma and Texas for years. I'm glad they're still in business.

Their website though, is a mess..it looks like some grade schoolers designed it. Double Cola (http://www.double-cola.com/)

NuGrapeman2
07-28-2007, 06:29 PM
Hey i remember seeing Double Cola and Ski in glass bottles in Carthage, TN. Also up through Lafayette, TN. It was bottled in Greensburg, KY. However it was sometime last year when i seen it so it might be gone. They also had the Jumbo flavors in plastic and also Nugrape.

ithastabeshasta
08-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Double Cola is available at almost any grocery store in Nashville and in nearby small towns. Grocers such as Kroger, IGA, Publix, H.G. Hill, and many gas stations carry Ski, Diet Ski, and Double Cola. You could probably call ahead to stores along your route.

I am in Nashville as we speak and not a single one of the stores mentioned above have any double cola or ski. I

amyers
08-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Call Double Cola and ask them.

Also, I went in the new Chevron in Columbus and there in the cooler they had Double Cola products, it was surprising.

Man From Ohio
10-04-2008, 02:12 PM
I'd like to belatedly thank everyone for responding. I had to cancel last year's trip to Nashville and Memphis due to starting a new job. However, I've rescheduled it and will be in Nashville in a little over a week. If anyone has any updated information, or has recently seen Double Cola and Ski products at retailers around Nashville, I would greatly appreciate your posting such info.

Btw, I did contact the distributor for the Nashville area. They wouldn't tell me about any stores they service but did offer to have me come and buy it directly from them at prices even higher than buying it directly from Double Cola's HQ. I guess they thought I was just some clueless tourist. Thanks but no thanks. Besides, I would rather buy it from retailers that have it so I can, in my own small way, support the retailers in their carrying of the brands.

Man From Ohio
10-16-2008, 05:29 PM
For the sad story of the state of Double Cola products in Nashville, please see my post in the Double Cola or Nehi thread. I did find Ski and Diet Ski in Elizabethtown, Kentucky, though.

BottleBoss
10-17-2008, 05:05 PM
To add to all of this the last time I went up yo the Catawissa Bottling Company in P.A. to get Double Cola they told me they no longer bottled it because Double Cola would not sell them the extract anymore. Does Double Cola want to stay in business? What do the do to sell their product?

Dumas Walker
10-23-2008, 11:52 AM
I would consider finding Jumbo flavors a bonus. If I can get Double Cola, Diet Double Cola, and Ski, I'll be happy.

I have been able to find Ski in Houchen's and Houchen's IGA supermarkets in Southern and West-Central KY. In some of them, they are with the Coke or RC products, while in others they have quite a bit of their own shelf space. Haven't seen Double Cola there in years, though.

Some will also have Diet and Caf-free, others just Ski only (usually when they are with Coke products).

I believe there are Houchen's owned stores in TN, too, but I've never shopped in one.

Dumas Walker
10-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Hey i remember seeing Double Cola and Ski in glass bottles in Carthage, TN. Also up through Lafayette, TN. It was bottled in Greensburg, KY. However it was sometime last year when i seen it so it might be gone. They also had the Jumbo flavors in plastic and also Nugrape.

Greensburg Bottling was one of the biggest (if not biggest) bottlers of D/C and Ski. They unfortunately went out of business about 4 years ago, which made the products a lot harder to find in KY (and elsewhere).