PDA

View Full Version : Are these teas really healthy or beneficial?

shadowlp06
06-27-2007, 01:26 AM
My g/f and I have been in quite a debate over our drink choices. I am a soda freak, she has been on these Lipton White Teas and Green Teas in the PET bottles. I noted that the main ingredient is HFCS in both soda and the green tea/white tea from Lipton. Are the Lipton teas basically just like a soda w/o the carbonation? Or are there some benefits to these bottled green and white teas from Lipton?

fusion
06-27-2007, 01:54 AM
Green tea does have some health benefits. And lower caffeine levels.

But the use of HFCS certainly isn't a good thing.. in that respect, I'd say they are no better than soda.

But with soda you've also got the extra caffeine.. and phosphoric acid in colas.

And you're not going to find anything that cheap without hfcs. Better off making your own iced green tea, and sweetening it with cane sugar and maybe some honey.

Popados
06-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Check the lipton bottles. The old bottles with the tannish coloring contain HFCS. But the new green label bottles have sugar.

I'd say they are a little better than soda. But not a good alternative. The lipton green teas have 17g of sugar(per serving) as opposed to a pepsi, which has somewhere around 40g of sugar.

Inko
06-27-2007, 12:16 PM
..which has 14g's PER BOTTLE :)

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-27-2007, 01:23 PM
What you also have to remember is that these things do not pack quite the "health benefits" and "antioxidant" payloads that one might believe from their advertising.

As above mentioned, except for excess caffeine and phosphoric acid, the (HFCS) teas and basically "soda".