PDA

View Full Version : DP Bottling Company of West Jeferson, NC

amyers
06-28-2007, 08:14 PM
I found these 12oz glass bottles in Phenix City, AL today, they also had Peach Nehi and A&W rootbeer.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/AaronMyers/IMG00228.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/AaronMyers/IMG00224.jpg

The side oh the bottle does NOT list HFCS it lists just "Sugar" -- would this mean it was made with pure sugar? Oh wait, found this, look what Wikipedia just said..

Although Dublin Dr Pepper is the most widely known cane sugar Dr Pepper product, it is not exclusive in this respect. Three other U.S. bottlers are confirmed to use cane sugar to this day, two of which are also located in Texas. These bottlers are Temple Bottling Company of Temple, Texas, ABTEX Bottling of Abilene, Texas and West Jefferson Dr Pepper of West Jefferson, NC.

Like that shows was bottled at the Dr. Pepper Bottling Company, West Jefferson, NC 28694.

That's awesome, I found RC Cola, Sun Drop, Peach Nehi, Sun Drop, and A&W rootbeer made with cane sugar!!

GlassBottleSoda.org - West Jefferson Dr Pepper (http://www.glassbottlesoda.org/bottlers/wjefferson.shtml)

DNL Lover
06-29-2007, 08:43 PM
does anyone know how far these are distributed, like if they go into Virginia at all

CitrusCola
06-29-2007, 09:01 PM
You can buy the drinks by the case at the bottling plant. The price is much lower that way.

fusion
06-29-2007, 09:08 PM
They don't distribute in Virginia, but other distributors in Virginia buy from them. I've found their stuff as far north as Warsaw.

Virginia is a big state - so you need to be more specific.

DNL Lover
06-29-2007, 09:51 PM
They don't distribute in Virginia, but other distributors in Virginia buy from them. I've found their stuff as far north as Warsaw.

Virginia is a big state - so you need to be more specific.

Could i get it anywhere in Newport news or Va Beach?

Cheer-wined
07-01-2007, 07:36 AM
They don't distribute in Virginia
They do distribute into Virginia, but only border areas of Grayson Co. (just north of here). I have no idea if there's a re-seller in the Tidewater area.

fusion
07-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the correction.

Virginia Beach Beverages is the 3rd tier in southeastern VA - they're actually a subsidiary of the Pepsi bottler in Charlottesville (Pepsi Shenandoah). H&H in Urbanna VA does distribute WJ longnecks, but that's a bit of a drive north of the area you're talking about.

Canada Dry Potomac is the 3rd tier west of Franklin (on 58). I don't think they carry WJ stuff, either.

The closest I personally remember seeing them is off of 81, south of Staunton, other than the H&H territory. I buy them all the time at the Buy Rite in Warsaw.

Dr. Galaga
07-02-2007, 11:35 AM
does anyone know how far these are distributed

This depends...some bottlers get their supply from them. The Sun-Drop bottler in Shawano, WI only bottles with returnables. They also sell non-returnable glass bottles from WJDP. :)

amyers
07-02-2007, 05:11 PM
I need to get my hands on some of the glass Dr. Pepper bottles, can anyone help me?

Dr. Galaga
07-03-2007, 12:15 AM
I need to get my hands on some of the glass Dr. Pepper bottles

I think you need to take a road trip to NC or Texas! :rolleyes:

mofizz
07-03-2007, 09:28 AM
You can get WJDP Cheerwine, Sun-Drop, and MD here in Central Missouri.

01GTB
07-06-2007, 02:19 AM
I need to get my hands on some of the glass Dr. Pepper bottles, can anyone help me?

1. Get a truck. Rent one if you don't have one.
2. Get money.
3. Haul back as much as you can :D

Cheer-wined
07-07-2007, 10:23 PM
To answer earlier posts:

Newport News/Va. Beach - no distributor there but you can contact Albemarle Distributing in Elizabeth City, NC; they buy product from DPWJ.

Georgia - If you're near Atlanta, try contacting Clayton Distributing in Austell. They buy Red Rock from DPWJ and occasionally they may pick up some other brands, but it's not regular stock.

dlhancock
08-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Many years back I used to get a very good ginger ale (Parkway Ginger Ale) bottled in West Jefferson. I presume it was by the company now operating as DPWJ. Does anyone know if the Parkway line of beverages is still produced by them as well?

Cheer-wined
08-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Parkway has been out of production for a long time ...

Adam@Vabeachbeverages
02-17-2009, 12:33 AM
Virginia Beach Beverages supplies long necks in Farm Fresh's in Hampton Roads. We distribute longnecks such as... Sunkist, RC, Cheerwine, Sun Drop (Looking for Sun Drop? go to Franklin, Va) Sun Drop galore, Grape nehi, Orange nehi, Strawberry nehi, 7up, etc.

Adam@Vabeachbeverages
02-17-2009, 12:34 AM
We also supply long neck Big Red.

Adam@Vabeachbeverages
02-17-2009, 12:36 AM
does anyone know how far these are distributed, like if they go into Virginia at all
Virginia Beach Beverages distributes long necks.

rollntider
02-19-2009, 06:22 PM
I have seen those from the NC bottler here in Birmingham, Food Giant and a Raceway both have them from time to time. I buy as many as I can afford when i see them.

amyers
02-20-2009, 05:11 PM
I have seen those from the NC bottler here in Birmingham, Food Giant and a Raceway both have them from time to time. I buy as many as I can afford when i see them.

What kind do they have?

mcormany
02-27-2009, 10:18 AM
West Jefferson bottles are all over Knoxville, TN as well. Mountain Dew, A&W, 7-UP, Big Red, Welch's Grape, RC, Sunkist, Nehi Orange, Nehi Grape. I only wish we could get Dr. Pepper from West Jefferson here. But, all in all Knoxville is a great place for bottled, sugar soda.

amyers
03-01-2009, 09:39 PM
West Jefferson bottles are all over Knoxville, TN as well. Mountain Dew, A&W, 7-UP, Big Red, Welch's Grape, RC, Sunkist, Nehi Orange, Nehi Grape. I only wish we could get Dr. Pepper from West Jefferson here. But, all in all Knoxville is a great place for bottled, sugar soda.

You can get it just over the GA/TN line by Chattanooga, I put it at a gas station called Daily's

mcormany
03-02-2009, 09:31 AM
You can get it just over the GA/TN line by Chattanooga, I put it at a gas station called Daily's

Thanks for the info. Could you tell me what exit or road its off of? Thanks again.

amyers
03-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the info. Could you tell me what exit or road its off of? Thanks again.

I believe it's in Kimball, TN - I'm not really sure, I can't find the e-mail where I talked with the people.

Wally1912
03-31-2010, 03:18 PM
I posted this in the wrong forum last night, so he's my second try...

I grabbed a bottle of West Jefferson RC while I was in North Carolina recently. Thinking nothing of checking the ingredients list, I paid for it and drank it. Something seemed off, so I looked at the back of the bottle and ---WHOA! --- HFCS was listed as the sweetener.

What gives? IS WJ using both cane sugar and HFCS for sweeteners now? Is Dr Pepper Snapple mandating HFCS in its core products? I clearly remember the Cheerwine in the cooler I grabbed the RC from still proclaiming sugar as an ingredient.

I saved the bottle and compared it to a bottle I bought last year.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/4477170717_8cf279cbdb_o.jpg

You can see last year's bottle on the left and the 2010 bottle on the right. The new one has a full color painted label and is slightly taller. The production code on the new bottle is 1105WJ08119.

Here is a shot of the ingredients for both bottles.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2756/4477170609_045705f618_o.jpg

fusion
03-31-2010, 06:35 PM
Kimball sounds about right, I believe that is as far south as Dr Pepper of McMinnville goes.

You could also check out South Pittsburg while you're there - it's kind of a neat Main Street type of town. And if your wife/mom/grandma/aunt/whatever is into it, they have a Lodge cookware factory store there as well (503 South Cedar - North/South Cedar is the "main street"). If you've never had Dr. Wham, I found it at a place called Big Daddy's Outdoors in Bridgeport AL, not too far over the state line on US 72.

And.. if you're into cornbread, the National Cornbread Festival is held in South Pittsburg - fitting, since it's the home of Lodge.

The National Cornbread Festival, South Pittsburg, TN (http://www.nationalcornbread.com/)

Wally - Cheerwine isn't a DPS product. It's an independent company. It is disappointing that the RC has HFCS - I hope that isn't a sign of things to come. I also notice they're still using the old logo.

drpep
03-31-2010, 09:10 PM
The bottle caps on the WJ RC I purchased in Oct were labeled for Peru or some other South American country.

I picked up some blue bottles in 09 with HFCS and some clear bottles with the cane sugar.

mcormany
04-01-2010, 08:22 AM
I've also noticed that WJ has been using HFCS in 7-UP for the past few months. At least that's what we've been getting here. I too hope this is not the sign of things to come from WJDP.

jimsmith117
04-03-2010, 10:37 AM
I noticed the same thing with my case of RC when i got home in Dec from WJDP.
I was very disappointed because of the premium cost for a non-sugar soda.I just hope it isn't trend.

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-04-2010, 10:16 AM
when dpsu-michigan brought a bunch of WJ sodas up here last summer, everything had sugar but the 7UP. some of it is still out in the market around lansing, where they went hard with it. it was a good program and i thought it would've done better.

golee1
04-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Could i get it anywhere in Newport news or Va Beach?

Farm Fresh in the Tidewater area has em.

mtndew1948
04-07-2010, 10:04 AM
I thought I would reply to clear up questions about any possible HFCS use by Dr Pepper/RC bottling in West Jefferson...They use only cane sugar in all their products, sometimes there are issues with bottles that are labeled improperly as HFCS instead of sugar. The RC and seven up bottles in question have that issue right now (Hopefully to be corrected in the near future), but they are in fact still sweetened with cane sugar. I hope that clears things up a little.

CitrusCola
04-07-2010, 06:25 PM
mtndew1948,

I heard something along those lines. The folks at WJ got some bottles from a different source and the bottles listed HFCS instead of sugar.

The person who told me this said it was a similar situation with the RC bottle caps that were originally supposed to go to Peru.

I hope WJ got a discount on those bottles and caps.