PDA

View Full Version : Very good stuff if you love Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper 70
06-29-2007, 09:57 PM
10 — 2 — 4

In the soft drink biz, money talks, and bubbles walk

By Bob Belcher

I had a whole bunch of stuff I wanted to write about today.

Some really important stuff.

OK, maybe it wasn’t really important, but it was stuff nonetheless.

However, a short visit with our own Janet Jacobs Thursday night following the Corsicana Independent School District Board of Trustees meeting changed all that.

Here we are, sitting some 50 miles northeast of the birthplace of one of the finest beverages known to man, and we’ve turned our back on them for some Yankee soda pop peddler that hawks another brand.

To quote the late, great William Holden in the motion picture, “Network,” ...

“I’m mad as (heck), and I’m not gonna take it anymore!”

And in keeping with that same tradition, I want all of you, right now, no matter where you are, to go to your window and open it up and shout it out!

“I’m mad as (heck), and I’m not gonna take it anymore!”

Corsicana, Texas is Dr Pepper country!

There is just no other way to say it.

But for a few thousand bucks cash (OK, $15,000 cash) we’ve turned our back on “the champagne of soft drinks” for the red, white and blue of Pepsi.

How are we supposed to enjoy a Tiger football game or soccer match without a Dr Pepper?

I suppose we’ll have to sink to the level of smuggling in our precious “pepper-upper,” or worse yet, emptying a bottle of Pepsi and substituting the real deal from the Dr himself.

Is nothing sacred anymore?

Will we arrive at the first football game in September and find the CHS logo made with alternating color seats in the stands re-arranged to show the Pepsi emblem?

Will “Tiger Stadium” become “Pepsi Stadium” by fall?

Maybe “Pepsi Field at Tiger Stadium” will be the moniker.

Who knows?

But one thing we do know for sure.

When 10, 2 and 4 come around on the clock, it will be a sad reminder of Dr Peppers gone by in Tiger Town.

But while we’re on this whole topic ...

Weren’t we supposed to be removing things like candy and soft drinks from our schools?

I believe I read that somewhere.

Replacing the machines with more healthy choices, like juices and fruits and such?

I believe I read that somewhere.

Yes, I’m sure I read that somewhere. Might have even heard that from the school board meeting.

But then again, maybe the fruit and juice people didn’t have enough cash to add to the bid.

I got it!

“High Fructose Corn Syrup Field.”

Kinda has a ring to it, don’t you think?

————

Bob Belcher is Assistant Editor of the Daily Sun. His column appears on Wednesdays and Sundays. He may be reached by e-mail at belcher@corsicanadailysun.com.