PDA

View Full Version : Bad fridge pack?

Mr Zabe
07-17-2007, 06:57 PM
I opened a fridge pack of Pepsi with a fresh date of 6/27/07.
I opened an ice cold can and it just did not taste and have the
carbonation of a typical can of Pepsi. It tasted a little too sweet and
the carbonation was not as strong.

I called Pepsi. I was told that the fridge pack was probably stored in a warm place where the taste and carbonation changed. I brought the fridge
pack at a large chain store. In general they turn over fridge packs pretty quick.

How do you think the fridge packs got warmed? I picked the fridge packs
off an end cap display. Pepsi is replacing it. LOL :)

Is this fridge pack ok to drink?

David J.
07-17-2007, 10:28 PM
The rare times I buy a 12-pack from Coke or Pepsi, it is usually off a end cap display, or a display right when you walk in the store where I work. To be honest, it's right near the produce section and the pharmacy, so perhaps the display was near something hot?

I can tell you when my store has a whole bunch of soda infront of the deli/roasters section it takes forever to sell - two liters or one liters of pepsi product. Kind of wondering if these occurances are related.

fusion
07-18-2007, 03:30 AM
The delivery could have been later in the day, and the pallets could have sat on the truck for a while (it gets pretty hot in a trailer).

Or was the display in direct sunlight? Or maybe the backroom was really warm - stores don't run air conditioning back there.

the saint
07-18-2007, 04:51 PM
If it was dated the 27th of june then it is already out of date. I would guess that it sit in another store for 8 months or so before ending up at a high volume grocery to move it before it actually went out of date. It may have even been on an outside display at a c-store somewhere in the direct sun, that will alter the taste somewhat due to the daily temperature range the product is/was stored in.

fusion
07-18-2007, 05:04 PM
I misread that part, I thought he stated that the fridge pack was produced on 6/27.

If it expired 6/27, it was produced over nine months ago, and I would expect it to taste syrupy and flat.

Mr Zabe
07-18-2007, 08:05 PM
The fridge pack in question was PRODUCED on 6/27/07. The use by date
was 3/31/08. By the way I have used 5 of them. 2 of them appeared
to be "normal". It's pretty goofy. LOL

the saint
07-19-2007, 06:33 PM
probably at the beginning of or at the end of a production run, If it was at the beginning of the run I would say it possibly had some left over residue from the cleaning solution in the lines and if it was at the end of the run, well they just didn't have the correct amount of syrup for the entire run and you got carbonated water with a small amount of syrup concentrate.

Mr Zabe
07-19-2007, 07:26 PM
I think you have just hit the nail on the head.
I brought two fridge packs with the same process date and
simular/production count numbers. The first fridge pack I drank
(not a taped one) had one can of a different design. I found that
odd. That can had the same use by date. 11 cans were #13 and
one can was #29. LOL I guess only a Pepsi soda pop freakazoid would
notice that. LOL