PDA

View Full Version : european diet coke

popologist
07-24-2007, 08:40 PM
i picked up some diet coke in the UK today because i was curious how it'd taste and... BINGO! it tastes just like Diet Coke Plus in the US... because it uses aspertame and ace-k.

coke zero is still way better, but it tastes better than american diet coke.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
07-24-2007, 11:30 PM
Nice! thanks for the review!

MATHA531
07-26-2007, 11:39 AM
I have always found diet coke in the UK tastes exactly like diet coke in the USA...I believe it's the same product.

Now coca cola light is another story. Coca cola light is most assuredly a completely different tasting drink that diet coke and it is not made in the UK. But many merchants, to save money, import coca cola light long distances and quite frankly I have always found the stuff as served in the UK (coke light) to be very foul tasting. I've always wondered if the long distance and the conditions under which the product is shipped contributes to this foul taste..incidentally you will find, usually, in these stores that the coke they serve is also imported long distances (look closely at the cans, you will see all sorts of foreign languages sometimes covered up to hide the fact it is not a product of the local UK coke bottler (or canner)....

On the continent, of course, they don't sell diet coke, they sell coke light and again it tastes somewhat different than diet coke. In the past, I had no choice but in many places on the continent, coke zero is now found and the coke zero whether it be in France or Germany as well as the UK, tastes exactly like coke zero in the USA.

What they don't have yet are the flavored varieties of coke zero. I now in London at least when I was there last month, they still serve diet coke with cherry...actually this particular beverage has very little coke taste and almost tastes like a pure cherry (artificially flavored of course) soda...as soon as you open a bottle or can, you can smell the cherry artificial flavor oozing right out. I wonder if the plan is to discontinue this and replace it with coke zero cherry or coke cherry zero whatever it is called...and of course if coke zero cherry is available, can coke zero vanilla be far behind? I would expect these flavors, I would guess, to be available in the UK in the future as almost everything about coke in the USA does get to the UK...whetehr any of this will spread to the continent is problematic.

popologist
07-26-2007, 08:24 PM
you're not completely accurate.

diet coke in the UK is sweetened with aspartame AND ace-k. in the US, just aspartame. that will definitely make them taste... slightly... different.

i noticed the difference immediately. it tasted just like diet coke PLUS... which is sweetened with aspartame and ace-k.

otherwise, the two diet coke formulas are probably the same.

MATHA531
07-26-2007, 10:56 PM
you're not completely accurate.

diet coke in the UK is sweetened with aspartame AND ace-k. in the US, just aspartame. that will definitely make them taste... slightly... different.

i noticed the difference immediately. it tasted just like diet coke PLUS... which is sweetened with aspartame and ace-k.

otherwise, the two diet coke formulas are probably the same.

Frankly, and I'm not saying you're wrong, I've never been able to taste the difference between diet coke in the UK and diet coke in the USA but in the last several years, I haven't been drinking diet coke in the UK...first it was diet coke vanilla and when they did away with that, I went with diet coke with cherry. As noted it tastes more like a cherry soda and I hardly can taste any coke flavor.

But now it's a moot point as if and when they stop producing diet coke cherry, I would go with coke zero (I presume it tastes the same in the UK as it does in the USA).

But we can all agree on one thing...coca cola light sucks.

popologist
07-27-2007, 06:14 PM
sorry if i came across kind of rudely, matha. i didn't mean to.

oh... but as for diet cherry coke in the UK... it tastes different than diet cherry in the US. the diet cherry coke here tastes like black cherry (but no vanilla). my buddy who was visiting me noticed it too. he said, "this tastes like cough syrup!" i'm not sure if regular cherry coke tastes different here too.

i've been mostly drinking coke zero here (which is every where), and, i agree, it tastes the same as the US version.

MATHA531
07-27-2007, 06:53 PM
sorry if i came across kind of rudely, matha. i didn't mean to.

oh... but as for diet cherry coke in the UK... it tastes different than diet cherry in the US. the diet cherry coke here tastes like black cherry (but no vanilla). my buddy who was visiting me noticed it too. he said, "this tastes like cough syrup!" i'm not sure if regular cherry coke tastes different here too.

i've been mostly drinking coke zero here (which is every where), and, i agree, it tastes the same as the US version.

No not at all, I didn't think your answer was rude in the slightest and I'm sorry if I can across thinking that.

In any event, as you may or may not know, diet coke cherry in the USA has been discontinued in favor of coke zero cherry and I like it very much...and they've come out with coke zero vanilla too and I like it also.

Wonder if the UK will be following through although I know carrying flavored sodas is not as big a thing there.

I've never been able to find diet cherry vanilla dr pepper there (come to think of it, in the NY area we're seeing less and less of that too, wonder if it's been or is being discontinued).

Regards