PDA

View Full Version : cheerwine (wow!)

Rocknut
07-27-2007, 11:40 PM
I went on a small sumer vacation to the smoky mountains last weekend. On a long winding road near maggie valley north carolina, I hit a run down gas station called "the last stop point". Thirsting to death i looked through the old cooler. Directly next to the cherry coke was "cheerwine". I asked the old clerk what cheerwine was. He looked at me puzzled and said "why, its atleast 90 years old." Without any real explation I bought it. I was stunned at the flavor. It has an awesome sweet flavor that doesnt over power like coke. I can't explain it. Its something like a cross breed between cherry coke and cough syrup. I bought 5 two liters of it at the seveirville walmart. I brought them back here to alabama and my family drank them all. Anyone else ever drink it?

rackitup
07-28-2007, 12:16 AM
I went on a small sumer vacation to the smoky mountains last weekend. On a long winding road near maggie valley north carolina, I hit a run down gas station called "the last stop point". Thirsting to death i looked through the old cooler. Directly next to the cherry coke was "cheerwine". I asked the old clerk what cheerwine was. He looked at me puzzled and said "why, its atleast 90 years old." Without any real explation I bought it. I was stunned at the flavor. It has an awesome sweet flavor that doesnt over power like coke. I can't explain it. Its something like a cross breed between cherry coke and cough syrup. I bought 5 two liters of it at the seveirville walmart. I brought them back here to alabama and my family drank them all. Anyone else ever drink it?

You bought/drank it after the Clerk told you it was over 90 years old?

Just kidding,

I have heard of it here on BevBoard and I bought a few bottles while I was in L.A. last week, I liked it too.

fusion
07-28-2007, 12:29 AM
The real Cheerwine experience is had with the 12oz longneck bottles, made with real sugar. My second choice would be 12oz cans.

Acheron
07-28-2007, 10:43 AM
The real Cheerwine experience is had with the 12oz longneck bottles, made with real sugar. My second choice would be 12oz cans.

This sums up my feelings too: Glass>cans>20oz.

Awesome, awesome stuff.

In fact, I'm going to get a can now. :)

amyers
07-28-2007, 11:26 AM

I drank one of these night in 12oz glass for the first time, from Hilton Head. It was amazing.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
07-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Cheerwine = good. I am down to one last 12 pack. Im going to have to make a trip up to madison sometime soon.

Stackups Immy
07-29-2007, 10:55 AM
i HATE that Cheerwine is regional...its so unfair.

Dobroplayer
08-20-2007, 04:14 PM
I LOVE Cheerwine, but unfortunetly the only place I know of around here that stocks it...a Krogers 12 miles away...has stopped stocking it.

HUGE bummer.

fusion
08-20-2007, 10:59 PM
probably because that area is now part of the Cadbury Schweppes bottling group?

Their website makes no mention of Cheerwine being available in their Lexington warehouse, which is the closest one to you.

1133 Industry Rd
Lexington, KY 40505
(859) 252-0348

skylark68
08-21-2007, 11:06 AM
I agree, Cheerwine is one of the best drinks in the world. On our vacation to Indiana this year, on the way home back to Texas we stopped in Alabama (long way around to get home) I picked up a few cans (I couldn't find it in more than single 12 oz. cans in a vending machine!!!). It's the best!

jmyjunk
08-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Was out in Los Angeles, and stopped at a BevMo out in the San Fernando Valley, and to my great delight, I found a 12oz bottle of Cheerwine. Tasty!!!
I was also shock to discover Fitz's Rootbeer in bottles there as well. I have never seen this sold out side of the St.Louis area, let alone Southern California.

skylark68
08-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Was out in Los Angeles, and stopped at a BevMo out in the San Fernando Valley, and to my great delight, I found a 12oz bottle of Cheerwine. Tasty!!!
I was also shock to discover Fitz's Rootbeer in bottles there as well. I have never seen this sold out side of the St.Louis area, let alone Southern California.

At the HEB Central Market in Houston, they started selling Fitz' rootbeer and cream soda in 4 pack glass bottle containers. I never had it before but it's really tasty! Now if only HEB would start selling Cheerwine here.

Dobroplayer
08-23-2007, 06:15 AM
Fusion,

probably because that area is now part of the Cadbury Schweppes bottling group?

Their website makes no mention of Cheerwine being available in their Lexington warehouse, which is the closest one to you.

You've got to be kidding. You mean that because of that situation retailers are DOOMED to only stocking what they provide?

What is the Cadbury thing...the GESTAPO or something???

fusion
08-23-2007, 12:11 PM
That's not quite how things work.

Drinks like Cheerwine are generally distributed through the traditional bottling network. Either a company bottles it and sells it themselves, or they buy it from someone who bottled it and sold it to them.

Cadbury Schweppes Bottling Group has been buying up smaller bottlers and merging them into their bottling network. Logically, it would first make the most sense to only sell their own brands, and secondly to only sell non-Cadbury brands that are making the company a decent profit.

Cheerwine sounds like it was a marginal brand in your area, at best, so I can see why it would have gone away.

The BigTymer
08-23-2007, 01:53 PM
That's not quite how things work.

Drinks like Cheerwine are generally distributed through the traditional bottling network. Either a company bottles it and sells it themselves, or they buy it from someone who bottled it and sold it to them.

Cadbury Schweppes Bottling Group has been buying up smaller bottlers and merging them into their bottling network. Logically, it would first make the most sense to only sell their own brands, and secondly to only sell non-Cadbury brands that are making the company a decent profit.

Cheerwine sounds like it was a marginal brand in your area, at best, so I can see why it would have gone away.

I would tend to believe that, except that Cheerwine has been added by CSBG in areas they invested in (such as New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Hattiesburg, Mobile) that there was no Cheerwine before.

I was actually in Lexington a couple of years ago, and Cheerwine was almost impossible to find even then (and this was before CSBG). They seemed to be pushing Big Red a LOT more. I think it's just a case of the market than the bottler consolidation.

Speaking of which, Cheerwine and White Castles go so well together.