PDA

View Full Version : Big Red Jak??? New Red jak or?

scum1
08-03-2007, 11:51 PM
Ok so I have had Red Jak and Red jak low carb. Nice drinks I think. Todday my co worker walks in with a can that says Red Jak on it but it a totally different design. Ok so I thought they changed the can design. Well later I opened the can and had a taste. Whoa it was different and smelled similar to Big Red soda. I looked at the can closer and it said Big Red Jak low carb. The word big was printed very small so you can hardly see it. I will say this is probably the best low carb ED I have had(I like big red). So is this a replacement for the old Red jak drinks? It's not the same drink flavor wise as far as I can tell and the design of the can is totally different. The original was made by Big Red and so is this new one.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6c/Bigredjak.jpg

New website for red jak (http://www.bigredjak.com/)

You have to try the new formulation(or new drink). So is the old Red jak discontinued?

NEED-ENERGY
08-04-2007, 12:28 AM
what is in it?

kc2037
08-04-2007, 01:26 AM
Wow, that sounds really good. I need to check that out, thanks.

scum1
08-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Niacin
B6
B12
Glucoronolactone
Ginseng
Inositol
L-carnitine
Taurine (1894 mg per can)
Caffeine(164mg per 16 oz can)

Sucralose , Carbonated water

I'm going to try the regular(not low carb) one tomorrow

what is in it?

JMHX316
08-04-2007, 02:26 PM
It looks a lot like a Budweiser products, as far as can design goes. Especially the 'Premium' (most energy-alcohols are 'premium malt beverages').

I'll look forward to trying it, I enjoyed the first Red Jak. Reviewed it on the blog in my signature, if anyone cares to read :) Hope it wont be too hard to find.

scum1
08-04-2007, 05:37 PM
I liked the old Red Jak as well. Just wondering if it will be gone now. O and JMHX316 checked your blog. Make sure you look for the new Rip It flavors. I'm a big Rip if fan also and they have 2 new ones. A gin zinger and on that looks like Mojito?

NEED-ENERGY
08-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Niacin
B6
B12
Glucoronolactone
Ginseng
Inositol
L-carnitine
Taurine (1894 mg per can)
Caffeine(164mg per 16 oz can)

Sucralose , Carbonated water

I'm going to try the regular(not low carb) one tomorrow

Hmmmm, I've seen the exact ingredients somewhere else, but can't remember
where.
Oh I remember, on 500 other energy drinks.:D

Mr Zabe
08-04-2007, 08:00 PM
LMAO
Too funny.

JMHX316
08-04-2007, 08:25 PM
I liked the old Red Jak as well. Just wondering if it will be gone now. O and JMHX316 checked your blog. Make sure you look for the new Rip It flavors. I'm a big Rip if fan also and they have 2 new ones. A gin zinger and on that looks like Mojito?

I'll look next time I'm at Wal-Mart. The mojito sounds intersting. Those things are such a value, I love them! I'd really like to see a sugar free Lime Wrecker.

Dr Pepper 70
08-04-2007, 09:23 PM
same drink in a new can. Put the name Big Red on it which they should have done to start with and people think it taste like Big Red. It always did.

This product is very good!!!

scum1
08-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Well I have a can at home(low carb) so I will compare tomorrow. When I first tried the new Big red jak I did not even see the Big on the can and I thought it tasted like Big red and not the old red jak. Thats when I looked closer at the can and saw the word Big. The Big is real tiny so you can hardly see it.

same drink in a new can. Put the name Big Red on it which they should have done to start with and people think it taste like Big Red. It always did.

This product is very good!!!

Rob The SURGE Drinker
08-05-2007, 03:08 AM
LOL i just saw this new can and the old one side by side at the store earlier. It really caught my eye. But i diddnt notice the word Big on it... It is pretty small

scum1
08-05-2007, 04:22 PM
I really don't think it taste the same. It's a different color as well. I'm talking about the low carb version. Anyone else tried both old and new? Same ingredients except for maybe the flavoring and color?

onefastbuffalo
11-02-2007, 12:07 AM
Haha..this is funny to read guys. I am the designer who created the new RedJak identitiy and packaging. I was just browsing around for some info on how people are liking the drink. The name made no sense to me sense it was neither red, or tasted like Big Red.The drink tastes much better now that it's red???..haha. that was my idea. And they did it and I am glad about that. Looks better in a glass with vodka as well. :)

check out our work here...

| onefastbuffalo | 2007 | Strategic Branding & Interactive Agency (http://www.onefastbuffalo.com/)

scum1
11-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Really like the can design. So was the formula changed at all? I'll have to try it with vodka soon.

Haha..this is funny to read guys. I am the designer who created the new RedJak identitiy and packaging. I was just browsing around for some info on how people are liking the drink. The name made no sense to me sense it was neither red, or tasted like Big Red.The drink tastes much better now that it's red???..haha. that was my idea. And they did it and I am glad about that. Looks better in a glass with vodka as well. :)

| onefastbuffalo | 2007 | Strategic Branding & Interactive Agency (http://www.onefastbuffalo.com/)

greg
11-02-2007, 12:07 PM

Great work on the can, however, as a representative of the company, which you have implied by your admission of creativity, packaging, and coloring, please refrain from suggesting that an energy drink is fine to mix with alcohol. In reality it is not a good idea to mix a stimulant with a depressant.
The ED category has enough scrutiny as it is these days.
Change perception. live on is good for the ED industry as well.

scum1
11-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Sorry Greg. ED and alcohol are just something that no matter if you like it or not is out there. Read the review sites. People often talk about how the drink will mix with alcohol. Red bull is a major player in bars for sure that others hope to break into. Now I don't think Redline is a drink that would be considered a mixer but many others are. You are not going to back down on your energy content because of public opinion are you? I don't think the guy said you should try this with alcohol. He was making a comment I think about Red bull. People expect to see red when they mix an ed with alcohol. It was an off the cuff comment not an endorsement.

onefastbuffalo
11-02-2007, 10:02 PM
surely wasn't an endorsement....just an visual observation that I made when I poured Red Jak and Vodka in glass to compare against Red Bull...Only one of the most popular drinks in recent history. That however, wasn't my idea. Didn't say I drank it or that anyone should. Just said it looks good in a glass.

I don't represent Big Red Jak or Big Red, LTD. I was simply contracted to create new ID/packaging. It's their job to sell it.

greg
11-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Sorry Greg. ED and alcohol are just something that no matter if you like it or not is out there. Read the review sites. People often talk about how the drink will mix with alcohol. Red bull is a major player in bars for sure that others hope to break into. Now I don't think Redline is a drink that would be considered a mixer but many others are. You are not going to back down on your energy content because of public opinion are you? I don't think the guy said you should try this with alcohol. He was making a comment I think about Red bull. People expect to see red when they mix an ed with alcohol. It was an off the cuff comment not an endorsement.

I'm not ignorant of the fact that people mix alcohol with ED's. My point is this: Don't put yourself out there as a representative of an ED company and tout the virtues of your drink when mixed with alcohol.
When was the last time you saw any cross marketing with RB and Vodka at the retail level? It has been a long time because RB was sued by the FDA or some other governmental agency to stop it due to the possible negative side effects of mixing a stimulant with a depressant.
People who work for an ED company of sorts should be responsible enough to make sure that their product can not be misconstrued by the public and used in a manner that the product is not intended for.

Just as Ford asks us to wear seat belts and AB asks us not to drink it drive we should not encourage our consumers to do something irresponsible.

Coco Rico
11-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Greg,

You are partially right. Though Red Bull has obviously a dominant presence in on-premise, they do not actively promote mixing it with alcohol as a part of their marketing. Their stance is it's a functional beverage, and they don't need to sell it as a mixer. Consumers will do what they want. Red Bull has always had this stance and contrary to what you stated, they have never been sued by the FDA or any other gov't agency to stop marketing as a mixer.

CR

scum1
11-03-2007, 05:32 PM
But the way it is in every bar you go to and I mean in a big way with signs, bar mats, minifridges ect. Would you put all this stuff with Redline on it in bars? I don't think you would because it would send the wrong message. Bars are for people drinking alcohol. It's like Ford installing a wet bar with crystal decanters and a wine chiller in an suv and then saying. Don't drink alcohol in the suv. Maybe it protects you from a lawsuit but really your encouraging it just the same. On top of that the guy is not a representative of Red Jak and he never said you should drink alcohol with red jak. He said "Looks better in a glass with vodka". Looking good in a glass with vodka does not mean you should drink it but maybe just look at it. Wee this is fun. What about companies like Jet Set? Tonic water, Club soda, Ginger ale? Classic Cocktails Get Energized With Launch of JetsetŪ Energy Mixers! They must be ripe for a lawsuit. Irish Coffee anyone?
Energy vodka? Zygo and P.I.N.K are vodka infused with ED ingredients. Really I think most of the heat is on ED alcohol drinks like Tilt and Sparks. That is due mainly to the fact that kids are able to buy them since they look so similar. Really the whole don't mix with alcohol spouted by Red Bull is just so much bs. As long as it's sold in bars and liquor stores so heavily I really think they don't have a leg to stand on.

onefastbuffalo
11-04-2007, 02:48 AM
wow. maybe actually read what I wrote. Did I put myself out there as a representative of Red Jak? Hardly. I don't represent Red Jak, Big Red or any ED. I was simply contracted to concept and design a new identity and along the way I made the suggestion that a color change would make sense with the new branding....not to mention the fact that it would decrease the chances of Red Jak being mistaken for Red Bull (or a glass of urine) if it did happen to end up in a clear glass at a night club. I also didn't encourage anyone to mix it with alchohol or say it was ok. But I surely told them it will look better if they do.

greg
11-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Greg,

You are partially right. Though Red Bull has obviously a dominant presence in on-premise, they do not actively promote mixing it with alcohol as a part of their marketing. Their stance is it's a functional beverage, and they don't need to sell it as a mixer. Consumers will do what they want. Red Bull has always had this stance and contrary to what you stated, they have never been sued by the FDA or any other gov't agency to stop marketing as a mixer.

CR

I never said anything about the ON PREMISE market. I said "retail", i.e.direct to consumer for take home. I never brought in the On Premise market. However, I will say that I do stand corrected, to a certain degree.
Through a combination of the FDA, which controls Energy Drinks and the US Tax and Trade Bureau, the agency responsible for enforcing alcohol laws had this strong statement to ED manufacturers as recommened by a study by the Marin Institute:

" Producers of Non Alcoholic energy drinks, such as Red Bull, should immediately halt all promotional efforts aimed at encourgaing the mixing of their products with alcohol pending further review of the safety of this practice."

It further stated that if these "suggestions" were not adhered to then recommendations would be sent to Congress for further review.
Not quite sued, but in my estimation, an even more serious situation when you get Congress involved.

That is why you do not see any RB and Vodka cross marketing in Liqour stores anymore. If you do see it in an On Premise account you may see it by the local distributor but it is at their on risk.

greg
11-04-2007, 10:06 PM
But the way it is in every bar you go to and I mean in a big way with signs, bar mats, minifridges ect. Would you put all this stuff with Redline on it in bars? I don't think you would because it would send the wrong message. Bars are for people drinking alcohol. It's like Ford installing a wet bar with crystal decanters and a wine chiller in an suv and then saying. Don't drink alcohol in the suv. Maybe it protects you from a lawsuit but really your encouraging it just the same. On top of that the guy is not a representative of Red Jak and he never said you should drink alcohol with red jak. He said "Looks better in a glass with vodka". Looking good in a glass with vodka does not mean you should drink it but maybe just look at it. Wee this is fun. What about companies like Jet Set? Tonic water, Club soda, Ginger ale? Classic Cocktails Get Energized With Launch of JetsetŪ Energy Mixers! They must be ripe for a lawsuit. Irish Coffee anyone?
Energy vodka? Zygo and P.I.N.K are vodka infused with ED ingredients. Really I think most of the heat is on ED alcohol drinks like Tilt and Sparks. That is due mainly to the fact that kids are able to buy them since they look so similar. Really the whole don't mix with alcohol spouted by Red Bull is just so much bs. As long as it's sold in bars and liquor stores so heavily I really think they don't have a leg to stand on.

????? Of course I would never have REDLINE sold in Clubs or Bars at its present formulation. As a matter of fact it is in our distributor contracts not to sell it in those establishments.

My whole statement is predicated on the fact that the ED industry as a whole has been under scrutiny due to names such as "Cocaine" and "Blow". The mixing with alcohol is nothing new to the industry but it does provide more fodder for those that wish to do harm to the category. The large appeal of ED's and their obvious marketing to younger adults spurs the idea that the crossmarketing is intentional and obviously plays on the emotions of fun, danger, excitement, etc to those very same young adults.
As I mentioned in the above post the Marin Institute has a very detailed study that points to the marketing efforts of RB, Hansen, AB, and Miller and others that promote alcohol with ED's and their virtues. Moreover, it counteracts the marketing and its suggestions by saying that there is conclusive evidence that mixing a stimulant with a depressant is not healthy.

I know the guy said he did not work directly for RED JAK but he did say that he had creative input to the packaging as well as the color of the product.
He may not be the sole developer but he is on this website promoting the drink and the overall product. If he was so happy with the color and wasn't "Implying" that it it is good with vodka and that the only thing he was referring to was the color then he should have said "looks better in a glass of ice" instead of saying "looks better in a glass of vodka". Again, just like in marketing, words convey a meaning, whether you outright tell your message or not.

scum1
11-05-2007, 11:42 AM
I just hope you did did not scare him off. It would be nice to have someone in the design area here for discussions. Looks of a product and can design are so important and his input would be nice to have on these boards. If he feels he might get in trouble at his work then he may stay away now I'm afraid.

scum1
11-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Glad to see your post made it through. Hope you stick around to discuss design on these boards.

ehinkes
11-09-2007, 05:26 PM
So is the taste any different or not. Not sure if we figured that out?

Glad to see your post made it through. Hope you stick around to discuss design on these boards.

scum1
11-09-2007, 08:12 PM
When I tasted the Sugar free new version I thought it tasted more like big red. maybe it was all in my head though.

DrPprLvr
11-10-2007, 08:50 AM
same drink in a new can. Put the name Big Red on it which they should have done to start with and people think it taste like Big Red. It always did...This product is very good!!!

Old cans are Black with jittery red writing. These are probably OOD by now, avoid 'em.
Both new versions are in metallic cans.
SeaBev carries them in the S.E.