PDA

View Full Version : Game Fuel review/comments

Mr Zabe
08-10-2007, 03:32 AM
1. Game Fuel IMHO has to be one of the finest variations of the Mountain Dew brand I have ever tasted. From the very first sniff of my ice cold can to the very first tongue to mouth swallow.....Game Fuel was over set and match. LOL

2. The Cherry flavor tasted "real", probably the least artificial cherry soda pop taste I have ever tasted.

3. As well the "zing" of the MD(citrus) flavor along with the hyped up
carbonation was just awesome.

4. Game Fuel is sweet but has just enough tart to keep it tasting like
the a way a good soda pop should taste. I was blown away that even
though G.F. does not have orange juice, it still tasted like it did.

5. At 73 mgs/12oz, G.F. gave me a nice caffeine buzz.

6. Game Fuel IMO is too good to be a short term soda pop. It is that good.
On the Zabe scale of 1 to 10......it's a 10 and an instant A-List qualification.:)

Tons O' Fun
08-10-2007, 03:53 AM
I agree 100%.

fusion
08-10-2007, 08:29 AM
Zabe, you need to need to get your tastebuds a checkup, they mislead you!

Game Fuel is the second worst Dew extension they've made, only beating Pitch Black.

There is no classic citrus Dew taste, due to the lack of concentrated orange juice. I can't taste any cherry, it's more like fruit punch, which others have also noticed.

I will give them this - the packaging looks good, and the caffeine boost gives a decent buzz.

I'd give it a 4/10.

If they're going to call it Dew, it needs to at least taste somewhat like Dew. This extension totally misses the mark.

Mr Zabe
08-10-2007, 11:26 AM
It will be interesting to read what our board mate's tastebuds have
to say about Game Fuel. LMAO It's all good.:)

yipching
08-10-2007, 11:48 AM
has this been released nationally?

jacksmom
08-10-2007, 12:40 PM
I finally got my hands on some, and I agree pretty much with you, Mr. Zabe. At first, I expected it to taste a little closer to Code Red, but it actually is much more similar to Livewire, with a bit of fruit punch flavor mixed in. I have to say, though, I am only going to give this a 9/10, as, although it was very, very good, it is definitely the sweetest of all the Mountain Dew flavors, which is just a little bit much for me. Overall, excellent addition, though!

jerr2429
08-10-2007, 01:22 PM
in our meeting yesterday we tried another new dew set for launch in late october so get you tastebuds ready.

jacksmom
08-10-2007, 02:32 PM
What flavor is it?

PepsiBlue
08-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Dew set in October? I hope its Pitch Black III!

Acheron
08-10-2007, 04:04 PM
As I said in another thread - I think it's palatable, but not great. The cherry flavor sort of gets lost a little in the other flavors. Id still rather have a Code Red, Livewire or Baja Blast.

jerr2429
08-10-2007, 04:07 PM
blueberry raspberry flavor. being tested in some states as mountain dew clash. dont knowe if that will be the name when nationaly marketed.

Android
08-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Zabe, you need to need to get your tastebuds a checkup, they mislead you!

Maybe Zabe was utilizing those Magic (rinsed) Ice Crystals again....! :D

pepsidew
08-11-2007, 10:53 AM
tastes like mountain dew with crushed up Smarties candy in it. pretty poor soda in my opinion, i liked the 1st version of pitch black better - this will do well for a few weeks and then die off.

edit - actually there is really no dew flavor in it, just Smarties flavor.

Mr Zabe
08-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Maybe Zabe was utilizing those Magic (rinsed) Ice Crystals again....! :D
LMAO!!!!! Crushed rinsed ice does make any soda pop taste better. LOL

Just my gut feeling, the mass market soda pop drinker will like
Game Fuel because of it's sweet cherry flavor and it's high caffeine content
rather than if it has the traditional MD flavor notes.

I will predict that Game Fuel will be around till January 08 and then it will be
back by May 08 with an additional flavor.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
08-11-2007, 02:23 PM
I had it today, its not that bad. I dont mind that there is no dew flavor, because dew is just not my beverage. This, on the other hand, is pretty good. When i first sipped it, the sweetness shocked me, but as i started drinking, it sorta mellowed out into a delicious cherry/baja blast kinda combo. that and the fact that the can has Halo 3 stuff all over it, (im a big gamer), I do enjoy this beverage. I proabally will be stocking up when the time comes.

Dewman1979
08-11-2007, 06:05 PM
I love it. Its a cross between Livewire(my usual dew) and Code red.

I really hope they keep it.

hightyto
08-11-2007, 11:35 PM
No, the national release is August 13th, but its out in alot of palces already, including kentucky.

So a few days ago i go into another gas stations yet again extremely hopefull to get my hands on it (yes i was going into numerous stations looking for it, co-owner of freewebs.com/bringbackthedew, so yes, im obsessed) and to my fortune there it is in all its shining glory. There was two racks with it. It grabed it all, i literally loaded my arms with it, even made a friend grab the rest.

I tasted it and it shocked my tastebuds, immediatly you could taste its sweetness. At first i didnt like it, but every sip i liked it more and more.

Everybody is saying that its li,ke livewire and code red combined, and i agree, but i have a different way of thinking about it. Definitly Baja Blast mixed with cherry flavor and injected with caffine, PERFECTO.

I love it already, its really good and i reccomend it to anybody, TAKE THAT VAULT RED BLITZ! lol sorry coke drinkers.

But i found it again at another and bought some more. (all in 20 Oz bottle form)

The only thing thta i really dont like about it is that it kills my stomach, but latley it hasnt been as bad, so its just a small negative.

This is the first energy drink that ACTUALLY gets me energized and hyper, kudos Mountian Dew.

I remember Clash! I cant wait, that was introduced a while ago i think. When you said its being tested in certain states do you mean it is RIGHT NOW or it will be, and do you know which states?

Thanks.

Drink Game Fuel!

Mr Zabe
08-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Yeah, Game fuel does pack a punch. LOL
I really enjoyed the caffeine buzz. Heck
for a few moments I felt like I used to feel
at college,slamming 4 or 5 of cups of coffee
in order to study for an exam.

Mr Zabe
08-12-2007, 02:26 PM
FYI
My local grocery stores now have Game Fuel fridge packs.
Even the Mexican Fruit Market had them. I now have two fridge
packs cooling down. :) I did not see any 20 oz bottles at the stores I went
to this morning. Needless to say I'm a happy camper. LOL

amyers
08-12-2007, 06:37 PM
I CANT FIND IT!@#%@#$^@LH

I looked in gas stations from Columbus, GA to Valdosta, GA this weekend, nothing.

</rant>

Mr Zabe
08-12-2007, 07:00 PM
amyers,
I bet by the first of this week your chain grocery stores will have Game Fuel.
Hang in there.:)

fusion
08-12-2007, 07:18 PM
I stopped at a gas station/c-store on my way home, they had Game Fuel fridgemates (cool design, btw), and 20oz, which were 2/$2.

Tannerman
08-13-2007, 12:14 AM
I was able to find Mountain Dew Game Fuel at a nearby Walgreens on Friday here in Chicago...

http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_mountaindewgamefuel01.jpg

I really, really wanted to like this drink. It's substantially different from Code Red, which I think is the obvious comparison. I actually think the flavor shares a lot in common with LiveWire, if that makes any sense. It's to cherry sodas what LiveWire is to orange... same intended flavor, but not quite.

Upon first tasting, it was good, but I personally fell that the aftertaste is what kills this drink in my opinion. It's substantially lacking and suffers from a medicine-y flavor. That was somewhat disappointing to me.

It's not a horrible drink, but could have been so much better.

For those interested (or completely bored out of their minds :) ), my full review (http://www.bevreview.com/2007/08/12/review-mountain-dew-game-fuel/).

mjb1124
08-13-2007, 04:36 AM
I'm hooked on this stuff. The taste is very sweet and artificial, yet somehow very appealing. It's like Tahitian Treat but with a caffeine bite to offset the sweetness a little. Sometimes I also think it tastes like a cross between LiveWire and Baja Blast. In any case, this is on my A-list for now, though I can see myself getting sick of it.

idrinkamp
08-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Game Fuel is available in Vermont! [owned]. Personally I love the flavor. To me it actually tastes like melon :confused: but I have a bad cold right now so my taste buds probably arent working to well. More importantly though, than the taste, is that I think it will appeal to the gaming market, which is what Pepsi was aiming for, im sure.

BluejacketT
08-16-2007, 09:18 PM
This one kinda tasted like candy or something. And it's good.

hightyto
08-17-2007, 12:08 AM
yea i agree, the candy taste is pretty strong, but very good.

Psycho Penguin
08-17-2007, 01:35 PM
I really wanted to like this drink, but it just tasted weird to me. Which sucks, because I usually like cherry based sodas. Oh well. Baja Blast remains the only Dew I like.

Jablonzo
08-17-2007, 01:43 PM
I like Game Fuel, more caffeine for the same price :) The taste, I am all but completely sure, shares similarities with either AMP or that cherry AMP(overdrive?).

Robot
08-17-2007, 06:37 PM
I'm quite sure there is an AMP flavor profile involved.. There is a strong flavor connection to the AMP's I've tried.

I wouldnt doubt if its a mix of an AMP base and a regular dew base. Possibly they've integrated the orange AMP they were testing into the flavor, who knows.

Good stuff though, the description "Cherry Citrus" should have remained off the label, and just make it more of a weird/secret flavor like a dr.pepper.

DJ HawaiianShirt
08-18-2007, 02:14 PM
To me, this stuff tastes like the full-calorie version of either the old 7-Up Plus or TaB Energy. In other words, melted down candy. It's not the most sophisticated of flavors. I sure as heck won't buy this again.

Jinky Williams
08-20-2007, 06:14 PM
This stuff rocks.

I bought a 2-liter bottle of it on Friday. After drinking all but a couple cups of it in the space of 30 min, and after reading that it was only a limited-edition beverage, I booked it back to Safeway and bought every bottle they had stocked (10).

I only have two bottles left.

I've made it a goal to spend a considerable amount of time and effort, trying to make this stuff stay around (like what happened with Code Red).

Speaking of Code Red, this stuff tastes like Code Red and Live Wire mixed together, but with a chernobyl-orange color that looks uncannily like orange antifreeze. It looks like it's actually glowing.

Game Fuel FTW.

beales bealesons
08-20-2007, 06:22 PM
I tried the new mountain dew game fuel today. I really like it. The flavor reminds me of those ice pops with the liquid in the long plastic tubes that you freeze. It definately should be a permanent flavor!

fusion
08-24-2007, 05:44 PM
I have to modify my original impressions - I finally popped open the 2L I bought the same day I bought the 20oz.. it was produced at a different plant, and the taste is much more like the code red/livewire combo that other people mentioned.

mjb1124
08-24-2007, 09:39 PM
This stuff is addictive. I've been having a bottle of this every day, which is unusual because I try to stay away from drinks that have both sugar and caffeine.

xJABBERWOCKx
08-26-2007, 12:37 AM
I thought this stuff was great! I only found it in the 2L and in a 12 pack of cans, as opposed to individual sized bottles. I only saw it in one grocery store, too (Acme), though I checked everywhere.

The "smarties" comparison brought up earlier certainly applies, but I actually enjoyed that flavor. I was thinking SweeTarts more than Smarties when I sampled it. There is a lot of caffeine, and it caused me to go to the bathroom a lot... I guess that might be due to my small size and high sensitivity to caffeine, though.

I'm still looking forward to the BevNet review. I haven't seen it on the front page yet.

meetingpeopleiseasy
08-26-2007, 08:29 PM
Wow...really? Most of you liked it? This stuff is horrific. I can't handle more than a gulp of it. I really wanted to like it(I'm a huge Halo fan), but it's just like a bunch of artificial fruit is having an orgy in my mouth. It's so bad.

Mr Zabe
08-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Wow...really? Most of you liked it? This stuff is horrific. I can't handle more than a gulp of it. I really wanted to like it(I'm a huge Halo fan), but it's just like a bunch of artificial fruit is having an orgy in my mouth. It's so bad.
LMAO....I do not know about you but the idea of an orgy in my mouth seems like a good thing. LOL (Just joking.LOL)

davecfprez
08-27-2007, 12:27 AM
found some at my work's cafeteria.

I like the taste. To me it reminds me of a cherry slurpee in some ways.

dave

davecfprez
08-27-2007, 12:34 PM
found some at my work's cafeteria.

I like the taste. To me it reminds me of a cherry slurpee in some ways.

dave

WAIT !!

Just got done finishing a 20oz and I think it tastes like that party punch you put ginger ale, club soda and sherbert in !!

dave

Carbonated Shinobi
08-29-2007, 12:46 AM
I'm quite sure there is an AMP flavor profile involved.. There is a strong flavor connection to the AMP's I've tried.

I wouldnt doubt if its a mix of an AMP base and a regular dew base. Possibly they've integrated the orange AMP they were testing into the flavor, who knows.

Good stuff though, the description "Cherry Citrus" should have remained off the label, and just make it more of a weird/secret flavor like a dr.pepper.

I agree. Lately I've been drinking Mountain Dew's AMP for an energy boost while at work during my morning shifts. I'm partial to AMP Overdrive because of it's slight cherry flavor. I've had a few bottles of Game Fuel and I must say that it tastes extremely similar to Overdrive, so I'm assuming that the flavor base for the two drinks are similar in some way.