PDA

View Full Version : The problem with fountains...

shadowlp06
08-14-2007, 12:57 AM
I saw this mentioned on a few posts and thought it would make a good thread.

What has been your experience with fountains? Where are the better fountains or who has the best fountains?

I enjoy fountains, although I have to thank the advertisers/marketers for this, but I rarely visit the fountain. I always find myself picking up a 20oz, then thinking in the car how I really screwed myself, lol. I think, "Damn, I could have gotten a huge 32 oz drink for half this price at the fountain, next time I'll do that". So thanks advertisers and marketers, you've sold the 20oz very well and for double the price of a larger fountain drink :)

However, when I do remember to visit the fountain I have noticed quite a bit of inconsistency with the fountains. Some are heavy on the water, some are heavy on the syrup, some just barely sputter your drink out, and when you do complain about it, you get someone looking at you like you are from another country. The better fountain drinks I have found come from Wendy's and McDonald's, but it takes some hunting for the right one. For instance, the McDonald's down the street from me has great fountain Coca-Cola, while Wendy's has a great fountain Barq's. The best Pepsi I have found is at some local mexican food places, Taco Bell not included.

What has been your experience with fountains...

Mr Zabe
08-14-2007, 02:48 AM
Other than Mc Donalds and Wendys,I try and avoid
most soda fountains. The one exception is a Greek American
Dinner joint in my area that has an awesome Pepsi fountain.

IMO....the key is daily maintenance of the working parts of the fountain.
As well McDs and Wendys have a very high quality
water purification system which keeps the quality at higher level.

In general I much prefer getting a good cold 20oz bottle of soda pop when I'm and out and
about.

rackitup
08-14-2007, 03:33 AM
Ha, just tonight @ dinner I pondered this question.
I ordered a Sprite, it came in a glass on ice, (fountain) the restaurant I went to used to serve Coke products in a 20 oz. bottle and give U a glass of ice with it.
The one place I will order a lemon/lime beverage is McDonald's and Wendy's, but not Taco Bell, however I will order Pepsi @ taco bell, in my experience Taco Bell's Pepsi and McDonald's Coke are the best fountain formulations I have ever had.

For the life of me I can not understand why movie theatres have the worst fountain formulations in the history of carbonated beverages (as I know them, LOL).
Be it Coke or Pepsi most of the time I order one I can barely make it out to be a Cola, let alone what Company.
It makes me Mad because it costs the most and tastes the worst.

Popados
08-14-2007, 09:45 AM
I get the best luck @ my local taco bells. The Baja Blast is always on point.

Bond_girl007
08-14-2007, 10:42 AM
I've noticed that the fountain drinks in the movie theater generallly taste funny. Especially sprite. I do not like Sprite from anyone's fountain.

shadowlp06
08-14-2007, 03:42 PM
I have noticed that as well. When I order a Coke from a theater fountain it always seems like I am getting some hybrid cola, a mix of Coke, Pepsi, Off-Brand cola, it never tastes like any one cola. 7-11's are pretty good sometimes if you find one that is clean. I have a huge problem with finding a really good Slurpee machine, and a Slurpee machine that actually works or the Slurpee is actually frozen. I love Slurpees but have yet to find a decent 7-11. I like the fountain they have with the flavor shot buttons, but it's hit and miss.

Maybe that's why I get the 20ozs, lol.

Mr Zabe
08-14-2007, 05:40 PM
LOL....You are so right. I found a 7-11 that is very busy 24/7. It's
located near a busy toll way entrance/exit. The store management keeps the
drink machines real clean. The drink products (Slurpee) turns over quite often. I know when the Slurpee Coke looks a lighter color (mixing in the machine) it is ready for pouring.

As a rule....if the machine has a messy dispensing spout and or messy tray,75% of the time the Slurpee will not be good.

fusion
08-14-2007, 10:28 PM
Usually, Coke has a service contract with the local bottler to repair and service fountain equipment. The restaurant can just call the repair line, and someone will come and tweak the machine for free.

I wonder if a call to the Coke hotline (1-800-438-2653) would yield any results?

Anyway.. the best fountain Coke I've ever had was at a independent place in a few towns over called "Steak &" (Steak & Shake sued them, so they removed the Shake from their name). They serve fountain Cokes in old school bell glasses with the perfect amount of ice. They unfortunately charge for refills.. but I had to get another one, they were so darn good.

drpep
08-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Coca Cola form Wendys or Mcdonalds are always good, everything else is hit or miss.
Soda from a gun is terrible.

shadowlp06
08-15-2007, 03:20 AM
Funny you should mention guns...my brother was a service tech for Coke, and some of the "richy rich" types for some odd reason would want to spend their money on installing Coke guns in their bars or just for fun in their kitchens. These guys would tip very well and pay very well too, my brother would try and talk them out of a gun, and try to get them to put a fountain or just a vending machine in, instead of the gun because he never liked the taste of Coke from the guns. But they didn't want to hear that! Then, several weeks later they would call and complain about the taste of Coke from their precious, precious guns. My brother would soon be up, replacing the guns with fountains and vending machines. Just had to share that.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
08-15-2007, 04:15 PM
I had great fountain Coke Zero at Costco and at a movie theater called Cinepolis...

rackitup
08-15-2007, 06:26 PM
I had great fountain Coke Zero at Costco and at a movie theater called Cinepolis...

Hello Ramon, how the heck are U?

Is the fountain syrup in Mexico made with cane sugar?

U are lucky to get good Coke @ the movies. LOL

Troy The Vault Drinker
08-16-2007, 08:10 PM
I only get fountain drinks when i go to a restaurant or fast food place. All the McDonalds here have great fountains. One of the 3 local wendys puts too much syrup in the vault and its not too enjoyable.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
08-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Hello Ramon, how the heck are U?

Is the fountain syrup in Mexico made with cane sugar?

U are lucky to get good Coke @ the movies. LOL

Yup! it's made with cane sugar, but the fountain one tastes a little bit more sweet... here's a list of the places that serve fountain Coke in my city:

Cinepolis movie theater (2)
Cinemark movie theater
MMCinemas movie theater
Kristal movie theater
Burger King (refill) (2)
McDonald's (2)
Las Alitas Restaurant
Sam's Club (refill)
Costco (refill)
and coming soon... Carl's Jr.!

Here in Aguascalientes, all the movie theaters have Coke, the movie theater chain Cinepolis used to serve fountain Pepsi products but they ended the partnership in 2002 and in 2003 they started a partnership with Coca-Cola and now they're serving fountain Coke products... the only movie theater chain in the country that serves fountain Pepsi products is Cinemex (that used to serve Coke until 2003) but it only has movie theaters in Mexico City, Guadalajara, Toluca and Puebla.

www.cinepolis.com.mx
Cinemex - Página de inicio (http://www.cinemex.com)